Dis Old Fogies Clubhouse – Six of One, Half Dozen of the Other. Makes No Difference!

We received a letter this Spring from our County Assessor stating that our property taxes would be based on the selling price of the most expensive home in the neighborhood.
Our taxes went up when a much larger, much renovated, home on our block sold for 1 1/2 times our homes appraised value.

I hope they can't do that in our county because in our neighborhood home prices vary so much it's crazy. We have kind of the low priced home in the neighborhood. One down the street sold for 3M while another sold for 5.2M. Our house is nowhere near that range, hut I am finding out that any house in Long Beach is pretty much 1M whether it's 899K or what. My friend is looking and their max is 500K, and there is almost nothing in that range. Anything I've found is distressed and cash only sales. It's crazy out here. As it is we had to have two mortgages on two properties to qualify for our house!

I hope they can't do that in our county because in our neighborhood home prices vary so much it's crazy. We have kind of the low priced home in the neighborhood. One down the street sold for 3M while another sold for 5.2M. Our house is nowhere near that range, hut I am finding out that any house in Long Beach is pretty much 1M whether it's 899K or what. My friend is looking and their max is 500K, and there is almost nothing in that range. Anything I've found is distressed and cash only sales. It's crazy out here. As it is we had to have two mortgages on two properties to qualify for our house!
Our State initiated a 1% cap on property tax's but didn't include language in the Law to prevent Counties from artificially inflating property values to overcome the cap, which may, or may not, have been intentional.
That'll need to be addressed in the upcoming Legislative session.
I've witnessed Politics from the inside and sausage making, and neither one is pretty.

Not sure if I'd mentioned this in the past but DS16s parakeets hatched out two eggs!! The babies grow fast! He had someone comment on a photo recently that they look like fuzzy little mini-tennis balls with eyes....:rotfl:
Wow! I'd love to see some pictures.

We received a letter this Spring from our County Assessor stating that our property taxes would be based on the selling price of the most expensive home in the neighborhood.
Our taxes went up when a much larger, much renovated, home on our block sold for 1 1/2 times our homes appraised value.
Eek! I'm so thankful that we don't have that rule.

I've witnessed Politics from the inside and sausage making, and neither one is pretty.
You are so right!

I'd better get moving. The high today is supposed to be 96°F. I'm running errands early and planning to stay out of the heat for the rest of the day. My days of working by the pool are over until the fall. It's going to be early mornings only until then. Ah well!

Our temperature is no where near 96, so I am happy!:) It looks like a cloudy, dreary day in the 60’s here in Cape May. I will catch up with reading and maybe watching back shows of Elementary this afternoon.

Hey fogies!

kimmar - yay for your property taxes dropping!! Geez, how often does that happen to a person?! Most of the time we watch them steadily creep up. Also, congrats on your son's wedding!
...I know, right? It was actually a timing thing....it was over-assessed in the condition that it had been in when we purchased it. So we went to the town hall to appeal and we got a $1200/yr decrease. However, shortly after, they were doing a town-wide assessment - we were in the midst of construction, so it was assessed based on that current condition of the house; again it went down slightly....hey, every little bit helps!

$400-500k is the average here in Pine Valley, and we are 45 miles east of San Diego. Go just 15 miles west to Alpine and you've got plenty at the $1M mark.... As they say, Location, location, location.

So when I got my Disneyland AP last year, along with my welcome packet was a nifty oval car magnet that said "A P" with a Mickey head in between the letters. I kept it inside for quite a while (people in NH love to steal magnets off cars so I was gun-shy over actually using it. I finally did, though, and turns out CA people are actually considerate of someone else's private property and it stayed where I put it on my car). So last night, SOMEONE in this house who shall not be named ::coughcoughDHsniffcough:: ...... decided to take my car for a power-wash at the gas station. Guess who forgot about my magnet?.....guess who no longer HAS a magnet?......

:headache::headache::headache:

I messaged the DLR AP people last night via their Facebook page. Got a fairly quick response with a phone number to the appropriate department who can see if they can help me. Guess who be making that phone call!!!!

:rotfl2:

New here, just stopping to say hello!!!

Welcome! I've been immersed in an out if town band weekend and have been neglecting the DIS. Just saw this now!

So when I got my Disneyland AP last year, along with my welcome packet was a nifty oval car magnet that said "A P" with a Mickey head in between the letters. I kept it inside for quite a while (people in NH love to steal magnets off cars so I was gun-shy over actually using it. I finally did, though, and turns out CA people are actually considerate of someone else's private property and it stayed where I put it on my car). So last night, SOMEONE in this house who shall not be named ::coughcoughDHsniffcough:: ...... decided to take my car for a power-wash at the gas station. Guess who forgot about my magnet?.....guess who no longer HAS a magnet?......

:headache::headache::headache:

I messaged the DLR AP people last night via their Facebook page. Got a fairly quick response with a phone number to the appropriate department who can see if they can help me. Guess who be making that phone call!!!!

:rotfl2:

Well huh? I never thought of people stealing magnets, and I never got one of those AP things, though I've seen them all over and wondered where people got them!

Well huh? I never thought of people stealing magnets, and I never got one of those AP things, though I've seen them all over and wondered where people got them!

I don't want to perpetuate the myths about us "Yankees," but yes, stealing magnets is, apparently, a thing..... It's like, Hey I like that magnet!....and it's so much easier to just snag it off this car than seeing where I can actually BUY one.... :scratchin Antenna toppers aren't safe, either. I don't currently have one so I haven't tested those here in CA.

My DH didn't get a magnet either, I just figured maybe one per household. But maybe it's random!! I can give you the phone # for the AP people if you'd like it! :rotfl:

And on that note, DH for the win: he drove all the way back to the car wash yesterday and managed to retrieve the magnet!!!! (as well as our antenna.....). But he's no longer allowed to "do stuff" to my car without my prior consent. :duck:

Magnets are not the only thing stolen it seems, we have had Disney car plate frames taken before, we don't even risk the magnets! LOL

Hey howdy hey! I appear to have functioning Internet today so I'm jumping in while I can. It's been HORRID lately....I hate that I have to pay that bill every month.... :headache:

I'd say there's not a lot new with us but that wouldn't be true. There is actually a LOT going on with us. But it's long and detailed and I honestly don't have the energy to tell the story. One fall out of it is that my DS18 will be heading back to NH in about a month. At least for the summer, longer if he can work it out. It is NOT under happy circumstances so even though he's of an age to "leave the nest," I wish it were a happier occasion (let me interject that the issue is NOT with us, his family.....I wish I were going with him, in all honesty). Let's just say that he and the director here don't see eye to eye on something and he basically feels unwelcome. :mad::mad:

Anywho..... DH and I are heading back to DLR next week for one more hurrah before the summer blockout. My pass expires in July. Still debating renewing or not (related to the above mentioned situation....). I'm leaning to yes, only so I can go with DH in the fall to see the Halloween and Christmas decorations. Three trips and it's paid for itself, so it really makes sense, even if I'm not around long enough to fulfill another entire year. :rolleyes:

New here, just stopping to say hello!!!
:welcome:

So when I got my Disneyland AP last year, along with my welcome packet was a nifty oval car magnet that said "A P" with a Mickey head in between the letters. ... So last night, SOMEONE in this house who shall not be named ::coughcoughDHsniffcough:: ...... decided to take my car for a power-wash at the gas station. Guess who forgot about my magnet?.....guess who no longer HAS a magnet?...... :headache::headache::headache: I messaged the DLR AP people last night via their Facebook page. Got a fairly quick response with a phone number to the appropriate department who can see if they can help me. Guess who be making that phone call!!!! :rotfl2:
:hug::sad::sad2::rotfl2: I hope the DLR AP can help you out! Folks grabbing someone else's car magnet is just rotten! :headache:

I don't want to perpetuate the myths about us "Yankees," but yes, stealing magnets is, apparently, a thing..... It's like, Hey I like that magnet!....and it's so much easier to just snag it off this car than seeing where I can actually BUY one.... :scratchin Antenna toppers aren't safe, either. I don't currently have one so I haven't tested those here in CA. ... and on that note, DH for the win: he drove all the way back to the car wash yesterday and managed to retrieve the magnet!!!! (as well as our antenna.....). But he's no longer allowed to "do stuff" to my car without my prior consent. :duck:
Way to go, Legomom3's DH! :thumbsup2

I really can't say anything about the magnet stealing losers. We were at a college football game a couple of years ago and the mascot logo car magnets we'd put on the passenger doors of our SUV were gone as was a church car magnet. The mascot magnets, I get why they'd steal them. Why they'd steal the church magnet with our logo on it -- that one still has me stumped. :scratchin

Magnets are not the only thing stolen it seems, we have had Disney car plate frames taken before, we don't even risk the magnets! LOL
Wow! That's even lower than stealing magnets! Sorry that happened. :hug:

Hey howdy hey! I appear to have functioning Internet today so I'm jumping in while I can. It's been HORRID lately....I hate that I have to pay that bill every month.... :headache:

...One fall out of it is that my DS18 will be heading back to NH in about a month. ... Let's just say that he and the director here don't see eye to eye on something and he basically feels unwelcome. :mad::mad:

Anywho..... DH and I are heading back to DLR next week for one more hurrah before the summer blockout.
:sad1: Hugs, LegoMom3! That stinks! Enjoy your DLR trip.

We're also having internet issues. Had the guy out yesterday and this time, they actually sent someone out who uses his brain and doesn't just swap out equipment and blame user errors! He replaced couplers and got our cable and on demand back up and running better than before his visit. Cudos to Chris! It's better than it's been in years! Internet and wi-fi, not so much. We're swapping out the router tomorrow and crossing our fingers that will get us back up and running 24/7. The internet/wi-fi outages are intermittent, and worse in the late afternoon. And I'm self employed and work from home! :headache:

I'm accumulating the few items we'll need before DH's family reunion in WY in July. We usually do gifts of some sort. Our gift this time will be family photographs courtesy of me. I take candid and group photos during the trip, but this year, I'm taking posed shots. They don't know it yet, but I'm planning to get some fun shots and Photoshop in some props, like having a t-rex chasing us and having families riding a polar bear. I'm thinking of having us waiting for the train too. These are in the same style as the Disney photographs where they ask you to post in a certain way then add in a character or two to the final photo. Wish me luck! Taking photos of family is worse than taking photos of clients. :rolleyes1

Summer has officially arrived in the Midwest, with these temps in the mid 90s, I always feel like I'm melting! Why is it that temps over 100 in Disney are ok to walk around in but in the 90s and I just don't want to even get in my air conditioned car, because I have to walk outside wherever I end up parking! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!