Disabilities parade viewing - thoughts on this incident?

Why they let 6 people in with no one in a mobility device is. Beyond Me. I know I have been let in the back of the parade one a few times when there was some extra room.

Just to be clear, in this incident none of the people had a mobility device. The person who said they were there because of her disability said it was a bowel issue and she couldn't sit. She ignored the comment that she had been sitting up until the point the parade started. I think the person with the stroller was with them - seemed to be the dad of one of the girls - but I never saw anyone in the stroller (it was a large one bassinet shaped and had a cover over it). Always possible that stroller had a WC tag but from all the conversations I overheard, it was the one young lady with the disability.

Just to be clear, in this incident none of the people had a mobility device. The person who said they were there because of her disability said it was a bowel issue and she couldn't sit. She ignored the comment that she had been sitting up until the point the parade started. I think the person with the stroller was with them - seemed to be the dad of one of the girls - but I never saw anyone in the stroller (it was a large one bassinet shaped and had a cover over it). Always possible that stroller had a WC tag but from all the conversations I overheard, it was the one young lady with the disability.
Yes i
Was saying from what I know you need a mobility device to
Use the area but sometimes CM will let other people with disabilities in the area. I also have heard CM not let more then one or two people in the area with the person with a disability due to
Space This is why I was surprised they let 6 in with or without a mobility device. The fact the guest was sitting up to the start of the parade then stood so guest in wheelchair ECV behind them could not see is just rude and I hope karma catchers up to them.

And guests shouldn’t have to ask CM’s to make the call to security.

No. We shouldn't have to. But I am done with being treated like crap, simply because I have to use a mobility device. It isn't a "luxury" for me. It isn't an option for me. It's part of my daily RL world. And there are other people for whom using a mobility device is the only way that they can be at WDW.

The argument that "We paid $X so we deserve to do whatever we want" doesn't hold water. Everyone paid to get in - one way or another, so EVERYONE should act like a decent human being.

For too long, everyone has tolerated bad behavior at WDW, because we are all "in the bubble". We are all on vacation, and so maybe some adults act a bit childish. It's hot, so we are all cranky. Whatever flavor of excuse is being used, it needs to stop.

If CMs refuse to confront the people who won't move, or people who are being abusive to other Guests, then I'm going to ask for Security. Period.

Unfortunately....

The MK Guide for Guests With Disabilities [ https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/...ations/magic-kingdom/mk-0519-gfgwd-os-web.pdf ], under the section "Accessibility & Mobility" states

Note the part about "parties larger than six may be asked to separate and reunite afterwards".

And the text refers to generic "Guests with disabilities" and does not specify mobility disabilities. The document does refer to mobility disabilities elsewhere in another context, so it isn't that they never use the term.

Likewise the map legend

"...Viewing for Guests with Disabilities"

If Disney intends to restrict those viewing areas to only those with certain types of disabilities or those who use certain types of assistive devices, they need to specify that. The way they have it worded leaves it open to much more than just ECV/wheelchair/rollator/etc users and their families.

None of the above excuses their rude and inconsiderate behaviour, of course.

SW

I just wanted to chime in and share the horrific experience I had in the wheelchair viewing area at MNSSHP last year. It was just me and my two young boys, my younger son has autism and hypotonia so uses his stroller as wheelchair. I planned very hard for the trip for him and arrived 40 min before the parade started and got my son comfortable in his environment. I got him snacks and prepared him for what was to come, this is what is necessary to ensure for smooth transitions with him and make him comfortable and able to tolerate new things. About 5 minutes before the parade was about to start, a cm came and tried to put a person in a scooter and her husband directly in front of my son where there was barely any room. I spoke up as my son began to have a meltdown because someone was in his space. I said my son can’t see now and we have been here for 30 minutes waiting for this parade, it isn’t fair to try and cram someone in front of him at the last minute. He also has sensory issues and doesn’t like people on top of him in his space. The cm understood and started to signal the people to move, but the man became irate and started screaming at me and my son. He said my son doesn’t look disabled and why should he have to move for a kid. And he kept pointing at my son saying “I shouldn’t have to move for him” my son was hysterical and then i started crying. Thank god for the sweet woman dressed as snow White next to me, she jumped in and stood up for my son and said my son has a developmental disability which isn’t visible and consoled me. The cm eventually moved the angry man and his wife away as he was ranting and yelling at me but it was such a low depressing point for me.

The disabled viewing areas are absolutely for anyone with a disability - visible or invisible.

Right. Absolutely. That includes anyone with - or - without a mobility issue. And I think no one here will quibble with that.

But if you are going to stand to view a show, parade or fireworks, and you purposely position yourself in front of someone who must be seated in/on a device to see that same event, don't be surprised if you are the least popular person in that area, and someone (God forbid) *says* something to you, like "Could you please move, so that these people behind you can see?"

If you can stand, stand behind the people who can't. It's not rocket science. It's not brain surgery.

In the case of the mother who arrived early and staked out a spot - I totally respect that, and I would have happily parked behind them, provided they were going to be sitting for the entire event. I have zero problems with people who sit on the ground, because when seated on my device, I am enough taller that I can still see the event. I don't have to be front row. I just want to be able to see like everyone else.

The disabled viewing areas are absolutely for anyone with a disability - visible or invisible.
This is not what I was told. I really wish it was for anyone with a disability. I will have to try again on my next trip but every time I have asked the CM have said no since I do not use a mobility device

5 minutes before the parade was about to start, a cm came and tried to put a person in a scooter and her husband directly in front of my son where there was barely any room.

I'm so sorry this happened. Even though it was last year I think it's worth sharing that story with them through the email. The CM's have a super hard job in that spot I know, but they need more training. I don't really mind anyone using that spot that needs to use it. Of course you had the stroller tag so either way that shouldn't have happened.

In addition to more training, they also need more people on the job. With the sheer size of the crowds these days, and CM's stretched so thin, I can't say I'm surprised when things get out of control.

Mind you, I'm not saying that makes it okay; there's no good reason for CM's to just shrug their shoulders and not try to address bad guest behavior. I'm just saying I'm not optimistic about the problem going away until the people in charge decide to invest more money in adequate staffing levels. Good customer service has always been a big part of the Disney Difference, and there's really no substitute for it.

Disclaimer: I have some disabilities, but so far I had not needed an area such as the one described by OP at WDW. That being said, I am confused with how the Accessible Parade viewing is set up at WDW, maybe someone with better knowledge of the situation might cast some light: why is this location not directly in front of the ropes, such as so nobody would be able to “block” the views of guests who needs it? As I understand from this story, the location is far behind, and requires “cooperation” from other guests, which makes little sense.

At least, at Disneyland Paris (which is known for taking the greatest care of people with disabilities), this is how they setup the parade and nighttime show areas.

Disclaimer: I have some disabilities, but so far I had not needed an area such as the one described by OP at WDW. That being said, I am confused with how the Accessible Parade viewing is set up at WDW, maybe someone with better knowledge of the situation might cast some light: why is this location not directly in front of the ropes, such as so nobody would be able to “block” the views of guests who needs it? As I understand from this story, the location is far behind, and requires “cooperation” from other guests, which makes little sense.

At least, at Disneyland Paris (which is known for taking the greatest care of people with disabilities), this is how they setup the parade and nighttime show areas.

Well... at WDW, it gets weird. Depends on which of the 4 Parks you are in, and which show you are talking about.

Even at MK, the parades are handled differently than fireworks, and special events parade and/or fireworks are sometimes even more different, which - personally - I think adds to the confusion, but there (currently) really isn't a good spot for both parade & fireworks viewing (for the number of people who need that accommodation).

In a perfect world, there would be a place large enough for all of the mobility users who needed to use it, to line up, ideally with their family members standing behind them. If a group wanted to sit (and remain sitting) for the entire show, they could sit in front of the mobility device users, because they would be "taller" than the sitting people. The standing people at the back would be the "tallest". I feel like it its common sense, but maybe I'm wrong.

The area is like a rectangle so that indeed you can be near the rope but there is a large area behind those who are sitting near the rope. So if people at the rope stand up - especially standing in a straight line along the rope edge - it blocks the view of anyone behind them. ALSO...this particular spot is situated along a curve so if you have people standing in the very front along the rope on a curve it also effectively blocks people to the sides of them. In this case the parade came from my left and they were standing to my left along the curve. Generally I couldn't see the parade approach and see what was there until it was directly in front of me...other than looking through them. I did have an excellent view of the back of the parade tho - haha! ;) There was another family to the left of me even more blocked out - one of the girls kept stepping in front of this family who had a toddler who kept moving the girl's backpack trying to see around her because the standing girl's backpack kept flopping around hitting her in the face.

There was more than one row of people in wheelchairs also - there was the row along the rope and then another row behind them - at least where I was sitting. When that family stood up then many tried to move to one side or the other, etc.

The area is like a rectangle so that indeed you can be near the rope but there is a large area behind those who are sitting near the rope. So if people at the rope stand up - especially standing in a straight line along the rope edge - it blocks the view of anyone behind them. ALSO...this particular spot is situated along a curve so if you have people standing in the very front along the rope on a curve it also effectively blocks people to the sides of them. In this case the parade came from my left and they were standing to my left along the curve. Generally I couldn't see the parade approach and see what was there until it was directly in front of me...other than looking through them. I did have an excellent view of the back of the parade tho - haha! ;) There was another family to the left of me even more blocked out - one of the girls kept stepping in front of this family who had a toddler who kept moving the girl's backpack trying to see around her because the standing girl's backpack kept flopping around hitting her in the face.

There was more than one row of people in wheelchairs also - there was the row along the rope and then another row behind them - at least where I was sitting. When that family stood up then many tried to move to one side or the other, etc.

Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. I've been reading on another thread that they use tape to delimiter a scooter-only area in front of the reserved viewing for the dessert party, maybe it would be the thing to do on the parade viewing area?

Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. I've been reading on another thread that they use tape to delimiter a scooter-only area in front of the reserved viewing for the dessert party, maybe it would be the thing to do on the parade viewing area?
Here is a picture of the parade path ( in blue) and kind ( not exactly where but close enough to get an idea )of where the handicap area is ( in red)

Attachments

• 79EF81E6-9888-4E7F-88A0-4A3792A630F7.jpeg
    79EF81E6-9888-4E7F-88A0-4A3792A630F7.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 45
We have used the HA area for parade viewing, but not for several years. DD doesn't need to stay in her stroller and we stake out a spot early on, so we just prefer to find our own spot. I don’t feel that the reserved area is necessary without a mobility device. Maybe someone else with a non-mobility disability finds it helpful but we don’t.

Here is a picture of the parade path ( in blue) and kind ( not exactly where but close enough to get an idea )of where the handicap area is ( in red)

Thanks for the map! The area looks like it is indeed very shallow.

There are actually 3 areas for guests with Disabilities.
Across from Hall of the Presidents ( also serves as the area for interpreting for the deaf when scheduled)
Castle Hub on the right inside of the circles
Main Street Hub area next to Guests Services

I am hard of hearing as well as use a wheelchair and have experienced the same issues at both the Castle and Main Street areas but not at the location across from the Hall of Presidents.

Sorry it happened to you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!