Disability Discount/Caregiver Ticket

ct7878

Mouseketeer
I am currently doing some research on DLP and was looking at the guest with disabilities guide. DH has some serious back issues and is unable to stand for long periods of time. He does have a handicapped parking placard and will use wheelchair for when there is a lot of walking (most likely at DLP). In looking at the guide, it mentioned that there was a discount for guest with disabilities and that caregivers receive free admission? Does anyone has any experience with this or know if this is still the case? We were planning to get annual passes so that we did not have to do everything in a day or two (to limit his walking), so not sure how this would work with these tickets. Also, what identification is necessary- is a handicapped parking pass sufficient?

Any insight anyone could share would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, yes there is a disabled discount on the AP for the disabled guest and the carer can enter for free. The AP will then display a small wheelchair in the corner. In order to get both of these you need a "blue badge" disability card (or possibly a doctor's letter in some cases although I have no experience of this). Before entering the park you need to queue up at the window for disabled guests (around the corner from Donald's Desk) and present the blue badge and disabled AP (or daily ticket if you are buying one) and the carer will be given a pass for the day. Ironically this will probably be the longest queue you will have to endure all day as there is usually a long line which passes very, very slowly. If you are staying off-site you will have to do this every day. If you have an on-site hotel pass you can get tickets for the duration of your stay on the first day. The process is necessarily rigorous to avoid abuse of the generous system. Hope this helps.

In order to get both of these you need a "blue badge" disability card (or possibly a doctor's letter in some cases although I have no experience of this).

I haven't had the discount for AP before but when we went just for a day we did get a free carer ticket. As we don't have a blue badge for my brother (he has a mental disability) we always bring a letter from the doctor which we also use at City Hall for his Easy Access Card.

Our doctor wrote the letter in French but I'm guessing that a letter in English would work as well. Basically the letter states that my brother needs assistance and care while in the parks and gives details of his disability.

We just returned from WDW and the DAS system. We hold AP's in both WDW and DLP. The GAC at DLP is based on the old system at WDW. You need to bring the blue badge, letter from the doctor dated no longer than 90 days. Also bring your passport. I totally forgot and left my son's in the hotel room, back to the room we went. At DLP with the GAC you enter the exit of the ride and show the assistance card. They will let you know when it will be your turn. Also for characters in a scrum, show the handler your GAC and they will assist you.

Two different systems but they both work well. The biggest difference is that they do ask for Dr. letter and will ask you direct questions about the disability at DLP.

Hopefully we'll be going to DLP in may. I will be traveling in my own personal scooter. Dr just gave me a very brief, basically one sentence letter, on office letterhead, within the 90 day window for our trip, stating I have a permanent mobility disability and that I need assistance on and off the attractions. If I take that letter with my blue illinois state parking hangtag and my passport, is that sufficient proof to be able to have accessible access to attractions and to have companion's ticket be free? Or do i need other documents and if so from where? Also, we will just be there one day--can we use for a 2-park pass? Thanks very much for any help.

Unfortunately I don't know of any report of non-EU parking card, so I have no idea if it'll do. The EU one does, but it might be because they know what it take to apply for one. My guess is yes, but unfortunately, it's always up to the CM and it can go either way. The letter also should be enough, but I'm not sure how they feel about the one sentence thing and it not naming the disability.
Thanks!

Do you think if I get the doctor to reprint the letter saying multiple sclerosis it would be enough, or do I have to ask him to describe the specific details of how it's debilitating?

I think France doesn't honor USA cards for parking, but we'll also be in Iceland and UK and I think they do honor them for parking, so I'll have it with me anyway and will bring it along. I'm just worried if the letter is worded correctly.

If you add the link stating you have MS, I think it should be enough, but like I said before, it's really up to the CM and it can be really frustrating. I know of people for whom the CM felt their disability wasn't permanent, even though the letter stated it was
Thanks so much. I'll ask my doctor to add detail to the letter. Would you happen to know if the free companion ticket is only available if the CM agrees the disability is permanent? And if we are able to get a free companion admission, can it be used with a 1 day 2 park pass? Thank you for your help.

If you get the ticket, it can be used in both parks, but you'll need to get one each day.
No, recently I was at the ticket office and the CM said it had to be clear in the letter assistance was needed, it being permanent wasn't enough. You already stated that was in your letter, so I didn't comment on that. I know people who've used the same letter and one time you did get a companion ticket and the next time they didn't, so I really can't help but share my experiences what really needs to be in there to improve your odds, but also warn you that it's to the CM's discretion
Thank you very much. It will be what it will be. :)

We're here in DLP right now! It's been raining for the first 4 days of our vacation, but Disney magic has given us blue skies today :)

In case others would like to know, and I assume YMMV, I showed guest services outside the park my US state blue permanent parking hangtag and a Dr. letter dated within 3 months indicating I have a permanent mobility disability, specifying that it's MS, and that I need someone to help me in and out of the rides. That qualified me for a 10% discount on a 1 day hopper ticket and a free ticket for my adult daughter. We then entered the park and went to another guest services where I showed the paperwork again and was given a green card to show at the various attractions which will work in both parks. Stopping for lunch now and actually found a table near an outlet to recharge my scooter. So far it's been fantastic!

If you get the ticket, it can be used in both parks, but you'll need to get one each day.
No, recently I was at the ticket office and the CM said it had to be clear in the letter assistance was needed, it being permanent wasn't enough. You already stated that was in your letter, so I didn't comment on that. I know people who've used the same letter and one time you did get a companion ticket and the next time they didn't, so I really can't help but share my experiences what really needs to be in there to improve your odds, but also warn you that it's to the CM's discretion

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter