Disabled restrooms

So, you'd be willing to give the power of who is allowed to use something to a CM? Have them make that judgement call?

I guess my point isn't clear in my previous posts. Do people really want certain things limited to those with a certain disability? Do you want to set that precedent where people are grouped by what they can't do? Do you want to start limiting access to things by categorization? Do you want someone to come up to you and say "no, you can't have access here, not because of your disability, but because you don't have the right disability to use this?"
The DAS is up to the CM at Gr ( or it should be) not all Disabilities get or need a DAS, As others have said if ( and I am not holding my breath that Disney will put showers in the theme park ) then they will need to have it regulated somehow, or the people that really need it will never be able to use it. SO yes they should have some CM regulating the use of it just like you can not go up to a ride and say I need a return time because I have a disability you must go talk to GR CM and explain your needs

The DAS is up to the CM at Gr ( or it should be) not all Disabilities get or need a DAS, As others have said if ( and I am not holding my breath that Disney will put showers in the theme park ) then they will need to have it regulated somehow, or the people that really need it will never be able to use it. SO yes they should have some CM regulating the use of it just like you can not go up to a ride and say I need a return time because I have a disability you must go talk to GR CM and explain your needs

The DAS is pretty much given out to anyone who asks a certain way. Pretty soon it will be like the GAC, IMO. But, more to the point, who is to say who really needs a shower? (And I agree, I doubt they will put them in restrooms, but only because of the added liability. And the fact that no one really has to have a shower at the theme parks, as they can go back to their hotel if they have to have one. The ones in airports make sense, but only if they are for everyone. Lots of people get stuck in an airport overnight and need a shower, for one reason or another.)

The DAS is pretty much given out to anyone who asks a certain way. Pretty soon it will be like the GAC, IMO. But, more to the point, who is to say who really needs a shower? (And I agree, I doubt they will put them in restrooms, but only because of the added liability. And the fact that no one really has to have a shower at the theme parks, as they can go back to their hotel if they have to have one. The ones in airports make sense, but only if they are for everyone. Lots of people get stuck in an airport overnight and need a shower, for one reason or another.)
I do not see the shower thing happening and I do not ever see you understand why someone might need a shower at s theme park ( and I would consider your self lucky that you do not) with this said I am done with this conversation so have a great day

I could see a possibility of adding a shower in First Aid for those who might need it, but not anywhere else.
Why First Aid?

So, it can be monitored.
In the parks, we use the Companion Restrooms, handicapped stalls if they are large and have a sink or the restroom in First Aid.
We need a sink and toilet, but I no longer need to transfer DD to the toilet because she has a stoma that I can catheterize her through.
When I needed to transfer her, more often than not, I had to spend at least 5 minutes cleaning the restroom before I could use it. People often leave toilet paper or paper covers on the toilet, toilet paper and towels on the floor and some of the floors have enough water on the floor that it looked like ducks had bathed in the sink!
Because I was lifting her to put her on and off the toilet, I needed the floor to be clean and dry to avoid slipping.
I still clean it for the next person using it, because the next person might not be physically able to do it, but I no longer need to transfer her.

Showers would require a lot more than a bathroom - dirty towels picked up, general cleaning, a supply of clean towels. I have used the showers by exercise rooms at different hotels we’ve been at and people often leave them in less than ‘ready for the next guest’ disarray.
The only way I can see showers in the parks would be in First Aid where staff could be aware it was used and clean/check it after each use.

While in Orlando International Airport yesterday, I was thrilled to find a companion restroom with a full-sized changing table that raised and lowered! We really needed it at the moment, and it was a godsend. The things I get excited about! :tongue:

OMG, what a post. So, Europe may have these facilities and not like it that US does not have them everywhere Europeans want them. From what I understand, the first aid stations are an option and would work for this. Let's stop debating the availability of these types of restrooms. When I go to Europe, they don't have all the facilities I would like to see, but I adapt!

While in Orlando International Airport yesterday, I was thrilled to find a companion restroom with a full-sized changing table that raised and lowered! We really needed it at the moment, and it was a godsend. The things I get excited about! :tongue:

If I found these at Disney I think it would become my favorite attraction. I long ago gave up going anywhere but First Aid because there is no way I’m changing my child on the floor.

That is wonderful to hear about! A full size changing table/bed that can be adjusted in height!!!!

Thought I would add this older post about the Orlando airport
the ones at the Orlando airport are very nice and are fully adjustable in height.
They replaced all of their fixed height ones with the new accessible ones. I took pictures on our last trip. Unfortunately, my phone decided to delete the pictures. This is what they look like:
View attachment 247403

Things must have changed in Europe since I was there last. I remember being struck by a conspicuous lack of accessible bathrooms in English cities.

I saw the article you are referring to, and the specific issue that family had was the lack of a lift system to hoist someone up to allow them to get undressed and onto the toilet without another person manually lifting them up. I can see how these would be beneficial in a place like WDW which is a destination for families and guests of all abilities.

My biggest complaint about accessible bathroom stalls in general (not just at Disney) is that people constantly use them when they don't need them, especially for multiple people to use the stall at once, and I end up sitting in my chair outside the one and only stall I can use for 10, 20+ minutes. I understand using that stall if there's a line and you plan to be quick in there, but right now I feel like people just go in there to have the "luxurious" bigger stall with its own sink and more arm room. And as far as using it for a family, I guarantee that small children fit better in a regular stall than my wheelchair does.
Some restrooms I have to use this stall, as my legs won't fit in some smaller stalls or at some I need the grab bar because the toilets are so low, so please don't assume if someone isn't in a wheelchair that they don't need to use the stall.

As for the design of ADA restrooms at WDW, I have always loved the design, as they always seem to have their own sink in the ADA stall. Come out to Disneyland, there is only one family restroom at the moment in Bug's Land and that will soon close. Otherwise, if you need assistance in the restroom, you have to go to First Aid. And the ADA stalls do not get their own sink.

Some restrooms I have to use this stall, as my legs won't fit in some smaller stalls or at some I need the grab bar because the toilets are so low, so please don't assume if someone isn't in a wheelchair that they don't need to use the stall.
I certainly don't think so at all!! I'm not trying to seem judgmental here, so my apologies if it comes across that way. I'm a part-time wheelchair user, so I know how rude people can be toward those of us with invisible disabilities. I'm just talking about the people who will go into an empty bathroom and head straight for the accessible stall because it gives them more room and sometimes has its own sink, without considering that those stalls are there for necessity not luxury

I was recently traveling from AL to KY. And I used the handicap stall.

I don't use a wheelchair. Just a cane/walker/scooter when I need it. I have RA and Lupus. Some days are good, some are bad. Traveling days are always bad days. Sometimes I need the handicap stall because I need to help getting up from the seat.

So I used the stall. Someone in a wheelchair came in after me. She pulled on the door, and I let her know I was in there. She then pulled again, and told me that she needed the stall. I got it, but I was sitting there with my pants down. I let her know I would be through in a minute. So, what does she do? Bangs on the door. (Look lady, I have my pants down, I can't just jump off of the seat.)

I finish my business and walk out, using my cane. And I have wrist braces on both wrists. She blocks my exit, just sitting there. I let her know that I can't get out of her way, until she gets out of my way. She backs up then goes in the stall with a huff.

Some days I need that stall. Recently, it has been most days. I really dream of days that I can walk around and be like a normal person.

I certainly don't think so at all!! I'm not trying to seem judgmental here, so my apologies if it comes across that way. I'm a part-time wheelchair user, so I know how rude people can be toward those of us with invisible disabilities. I'm just talking about the people who will go into an empty bathroom and head straight for the accessible stall because it gives them more room and sometimes has its own sink, without considering that those stalls are there for necessity not luxury
I didn't think you necessarily were, but it bears reminding when these come up.

Something interesting I saw the other night at a event was a truck with a accessable restroom in the back. It had a toilet, sink, changing table and hoist. And a lift to get up and down. I thought that was a really cool thing to have available, and that was in a fairly small space.

Another point, liability laws in Europe and the UK are toothless compared to what's actionable in the USA. Putting a hydraulic lift in every bathroom that is designed to be guest operated is a recipe for disaster (DISaster?). The mechanical advantage such a system gives its operator, if used wrongly or by children playing with it could break bones easily.

I honestly don't see an elegant solution for this problem, there will have to be compromises made by everyone involved.

Things must have changed in Europe since I was there last. I remember being struck by a conspicuous lack of accessible bathrooms in English cities.
I can't remember anywhere in Europe or the UK where this level of accommodation would be considered normal. I've never seen anything like this myself. From the article I get a strong vibe of the, "Disney is so rich, putting in hospital level accommodations in every bathroom is the least they can do" nature. I get the desire, and I sympathize with people who benefit from this level of support, but there does seem like there should be a line where eventually even those people are like, "okay, that's asking a bit much". I think a facility like this in each park along the first-aid station would be a great concession. Beyond that ... maybe we're approaching that line?

The only way I can see showers in the parks would be in First Aid where staff could be aware it was used and clean/check it after each use.
I think the facilities offered throughout the park in general should be designed to accommodate the sort of use people plan for. Toilets (we know what those are for), sinks, paper towels, and diaper changing stations. Okay lots of people plan their trip to the park knowing they will need to use at least one of these things. Nobody should be planning a day at Disney that demands a shower right in the middle of it.

Okay, I'm not being obtuse. the shower is for things you don't plan on happening. Probably something gross. I get it. I'm just saying that a shower stall isn't the best solution. Someone for whom needing a shower level cleanup is a real risk, had better have a spare set of clothes on them already. Add to this a 2 gallon ziplok full of microfiber carwash rags and a trip to the companion bathroom and you'll be as clean as a shower could get you or ... clean enough to take an unscheduled trip back to the hotel. The shower stall makes the easiest part of the cleanup a little bit easier.

I would prefer WDW focused on adding another companion restroom or two if we're going to start parceling out the companies largess. I or my companion use one of these on most visits. So ... selfish me but also I see them helping a lot of people who need them for things that there are no other remedies for.

Just to add that I have used the Disney parks First Aid to change my adult son, and that was a large room similar to what they have at some airports. I used the one at MCO a few months ago, it was weird to walk down that corridor (I felt like I was in an employee only hallway).

I can't remember anywhere in Europe or the UK where this level of accommodation would be considered normal. I've never seen anything like this myself.
Same! I was lucky to find ANY bathroom in Europe, let alone a handicapped accessible one. And most of the bathrooms are tiny and you usually have to go up or down stairs to get to. There might be some countries that are better but Europe as a whole lacks in public restrooms. We Americans are very very spoiled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!