Disappointed in ABD...Period :(

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
In 2017 I had book my 3rd ABD trip but DD18 shortly after asked if we could cancel it and do something else (It was the San Fran Long weekend). I agreed with her as I gave her the option to pick something else.

So ABD held my 600.00 down deposit. Fair enough. Well I went to use the down deposit yesterday and was told this could not be combined with ANY trip that had a special offer attached to it. Would not apply it to Costa Rica with early booking discount. THEN the screen shot I am looking at for October 2018 shows the price of San Fran as 1849. Ok, fine I will book that. Nope MY price is 1999 for that trip as I don't qaulify for the sale price.

So I very nicely told the lady to keep the credit. Instead of purchasing a 6000.00 trip at a small discounted price of 5550, ABD is getting no sale. She even told me San Fran was on the ropes for 2019

I have been stressing over that credit and feeling like I HAD to use it but in all honesty it is a cost of a night at a hotel so it isn't thousands and the end of the world. Just disappointed but in an odd way I am ok with it.

I have the email from the vacationista when I originally cancelled the trip in 2017. NO WHERE in there did she mention I do not qaulify for discounts etc.

I was originally pretty irked yesterday but all worked out in end.

yes my initial need was 2019 April for Costa Rica which is on special....yet I couldn't use my 600 credit towards it...

yes my initial need was 2019 April for Costa Rica which is on special....yet I couldn't use my 600 credit towards it...

Wow, that's so odd. I'm sorry that they won't let you use your deposit towards a discounted trip. Did they point anything out to you on the website that states this? I know you've said you've reconciled with the $600 loss, but I think that's a significant hit to take.

Wow, that's so odd. I'm sorry that they won't let you use your deposit towards a discounted trip. Did they point anything out to you on the website that states this? I know you've said you've reconciled with the $600 loss, but I think that's a significant hit to take.

It is a lose lose. I lose and they lose as I refuse to book a trip. It sure is a significant hit to take but no other option...Just ticks me off the MOST to look at the price online and it shows 1849 for the San Fran trip. Yet somehow it is 1999 for me...I mentioned that I had an email from the girl that cancelled the last trip and no where in her email did she tell me this and I was told "well she should have as that is our NEW policy". HMMM well considering I cancelled this in Oct 2016 should I not be held to THOSE rules ? No comment from her on that one....

This is such a bummer! Did you speak to a supervisor? I would call back. This whole thing sounds crazy. Today is probably not the time to do it and you are (reasonably) aggravated but I would press it.

I would not like to lose $600 especially since you do have a trip you want to take. If you work with a Travel Agent, have him/her call. Mine has been AWESOME in negotiating trip changes for me.

And, I am sorry! I love ABD but sometimes the folks on the phone aren't that great. Again, very glad to have my TA speak to them on my behalf.

Last edited:

Look at Tauck Costa Rica.....less expensive and top quality.

Thanks did you take the trip? I just looked at it, is there a lot of bus travel? I am noticing a lot of different hotel rooms....but good thought I will explore further. Have you taken other trips with them> I don't really LOVE the thought of costa rica trip but thought price was decent with my gift card etc. Any other trips from TAuck in the USA you do recommend or have taken?

Thanks did you take the trip? I just looked at it, is there a lot of bus travel? I am noticing a lot of different hotel rooms....but good thought I will explore further. Have you taken other trips with them> I don't really LOVE the thought of costa rica trip but thought price was decent with my gift card etc. Any other trips from TAuck in the USA you do recommend or have taken?

We did Tauck Costa Rica in 2016. The itinerary has changed, but has somewhat improved in response to feedback we gave. It was significantly cheaper than ABD and we had every single meal covered. The service was great and we are traveling with them again to Ireland next month.

Tauck has much more consumer friendly policies than ABD, and once you travel with them, you get a free pre-or post night (which is saving us $1K next month). Their Grand Canyon itinerary is good, but I think for the US we are next looking at Alaska, Cowboy Country, or the Canadian Rockies

We did Tauck Costa Rica in 2016. The itinerary has changed, but has somewhat improved in response to feedback we gave. It was significantly cheaper than ABD and we had every single meal covered. The service was great and we are traveling with them again to Ireland next month.

Tauck has much more consumer friendly policies than ABD, and once you travel with them, you get a free pre-or post night (which is saving us $1K next month). Their Grand Canyon itinerary is good, but I think for the US we are next looking at Alaska, Cowboy Country, or the Canadian Rockies
Is this Tauck Bridges or regular Tauck?

Sayhello

Regular Tauck is what I am using to go to Portugal this June. If I want to cancel, I have up to the day before. They will charge me air cancellation (I think $500 max (thought that may not be the case the day before-- I might lose all my air then), and my air was bought through them so it was $700 cheaper than buying myself). Then, I get back everything except 900-1500 dollars (which is put to another Tauck trip as long as you use it in a year, so if you intend to travel another time, it's no loss). So, unlike ABD, I would not lose all my payment money in a last minute cancellation. This is without the vacation protection (which is only a few hundred bucks anyway). I found them to be much more consumer friendly, as I would never have to worry about losing all my money put towards a trip.

Thx for the great advice. Do they have specials ever or opening day pricing deals etc

And what is differences between tauck and tauck bridges?

Tauck Bridges caters to families with children, have seen lots of extended families (grand parents, etc.) book them. There are some kid friendly family activities included. Regular Tauck doesn't exclude kids above a certain age for most dates but the activities are more adult focused.

Ive heard about this new policy. Considering you cancelled under the old policy, it seems like you should still be grandfathered into that, but we all know how the Disney machine tends to work. So sorry to hear about your experience.

@Rapunzellover , please come back to the boards and let us know how your Tauck trip goes. I’m very interested in hearing about the regular Tauck trips.

scottmel- Tauck, afaik, is one price and one price only. They don't seem to have deals except free pre/post days for returning customers.

tgeorge- will def. let everyone know how my Tauck trip goes.... that is, if I don't have to cancel it for any reason. Right now, my back is acting up, and I am unsure if I will be better in time for the trip.... will be deciding next week.

If it doesn't get better, there is no way my back will allow me to take such a long plane ride... it would cripple me.

Regular Tauck is what I am using to go to Portugal this June.

We did Portugal on our own over Christmas. Lisbon, Alentejo, and Porto. It was such a cool place. You’re going to love it. It’s now on my bucket list to do a river cruise up the Duoro. If you have any questions about those places, let me know! Sorry for the tangent. :)

scottmel- Tauck, afaik, is one price and one price only. They don't seem to have deals except free pre/post days for returning customers.

tgeorge- will def. let everyone know how my Tauck trip goes.... that is, if I don't have to cancel it for any reason. Right now, my back is acting up, and I am unsure if I will be better in time for the trip.... will be deciding next week.

If it doesn't get better, there is no way my back will allow me to take such a long plane ride... it would cripple me.
:( So sorry to hear that!

This saved my back on my flight to China (sciatica flare-up):

Purple Royalsc-800x800-wte.png

https://purple.com/seatcushions?gcl...NtM8QVeaVAZAIqGYwxyMJLJkaJZsimQsaAnOWEALw_wcB

I *almost* cancelled. But this cushion and my chiropractor saved the day and the trip! Totally worth the hassle of shlepping it around for the whole trip!

Sayhello

Cousin O-- I'm Portuguese (specifically Azorean) so this will be a very special trip... I plan a Douro River cruise the next time... unless I decide to postpone this to next year, then maybe I'll do a combo. I think I've done enough research for right now, but I'm glad to know I can pick your brain if necessary...

Seriously, right now, if this Tauck trip goes well, I may make them my go to tour company...it's been so much nicer and easier dealing with them in terms of customer service.

Sayhello- thanks for the back suggestion.... I don't even know what I did to cause this, but it's bad. I don't think a cushion would help enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter