Disappointed in Sea World

bedogged

<font color=purple>Choose parents that aged well<b
I guess I just need to vent and gripe a bit about our visit to Sea World San Diego last Monday.

There were three of us, all older ladies, one in a wheelchair, one pushing the wheelchair and one using one of their electric scooters. Except for a few tight areas, Sea World was very accessible for us so I certainly won't complain about that.

What is up with all the closures? Atlantis, Sky Tower, Penguin Encounter and some other major attraction that I don't recall the name of. Of course, no price reduction. I could understand one or even two, but four?

Also, does Sea World have a dress code of any kind? We have been to a lot of places and seen a lot of questionable attire, but this takes the cake. A young man in his twenties with a wife and baby. He has on those loose fitting jeans that hang low. We had seen that before, but this time he was wearing pants so loose that his pants hung BELOW his buttocks. His belt was tight so it was like his cheeks were on a shelf. The best part is that he was wearing yellow underpants with large red polka dots on them. We were in the handicapped area of one of the shows and he came up the ramp and squeezed through, putting his butt directly in my Mother's face. Gave us quite a shock! Thank goodness my mother's defibrillator didn't go off! LOL

My apologies to those of you who love Sea World, but I told my husband I wasn't interested in going to Sea World during our Orlando trip in June.

1. Mid-March is not prime touring time so expect rides/attractions to be down for rehab while the crowds aren't there.

2. I don't know if there's a dress code, but if there was, I doubt the park (or any park for that matter) would enforce it strictly. it just isn't one of those high priorities.

And I wouldn't knock going the SeaWorld in Orlando based on an experience with the SeaWorld on the opposite coast.

We have had great visits to Sea World in San Diego. One visit we had every preschool group in line in front of us. My ds just took it in stride and even talked with all the little kids!!! The next visit, there was no one there. All the attractions were open, and we did not have to really wait in line much.

I have seen questionable dress many places, even the high school I teach in!

Please do not miss Sea World in Orlando just because your San Diego visit was not optimal.

Have fun no matter where you end up visiting!!!!!!!!!

I was at SeaWorld last Monday also, and had a few different comments. The last time I went to SeaWorld was about 12 years ago in Orlando, and boy was this experience different.

It seemed like all of the focus now was on Disney-style entertainment and not on the animals. Now I love Disney, and I love marine animals, but there is really no need to mix the two. I would much rather see a genuinely good dolphin show focused on the dolphins than a dramatic show focused on human characters; likewise, the Shamu show was way to focused on the story and not enough on the whales. Sorry to gripe, but I remember going to SeaWorld as a child and LOVING learning about the animals, how they are trained, where they lived, and seeing animal-focused shows. The new Shamu show, Believe, did not meet these expectations and was quite disappointing to me (only one whale performing at a time, versus 3-5 at a time as they did several years ago).

For low season the crowds seemed crazy, we got to every show about 15-20 minutes early, and we were still stuck near the back of the stadium. The fact that four attractions were down (during S. California spring break) didn't help; nor did the cold weather that was keeping people away from the water rides and the "Soak Zone" (and they mean it, the fact that they were excessively splashing people on a cold, cloudy day was beyond me)

On the other hand, the park was very well kept, and the non-show animal exhibits were fabulous. The Wild Arctic attraction was very well done, as was the manatee exhibit, the sharks, and many others. The aquariums were also a nice diversion.

The highlight of the day was deffinately the animal interaction areas. These are places where you can pet sting rays, sharks, sea stars, and dolphins. This was a true highlight of the day. You can also purchase food to feed to the animals, but we had no trouble petting them and interacting with them without food.

The staff at the park was very friendly and helpful and the Hospitality Center was a nice touch. They offer free beer samples, which is a nice way to take a little break from the crowds at the shows.

The pilot whales in the dolphin show were neat to see (the only performing pilot whales in the world, I believe); and there were beautiful whales near the Atlantis ride, a pleasure to watch.

All in all, it was worth visiting; however, I really miss the SeaWorld of old. Is the Orlando SeaWorld different?

We went to SeaWorld about a week and a half ago and then the SD Zoo two days later. While SeaWorld was a fun day (because the weather was lovely and we were with family) it was BIG TIME CROWDED and we were also disappointed in the closures and I thought the Believe show was cheesey. One of the large jumbotron screens was broken, too, and was black the whole time - that added to the cheesiness. I thought the place wasn't built to handle the crowds we experienced. The lines were horrendous for the extra attractions and about 8 people deep to see the animal exhibits. We didn't bother with a lot of the extras that my kids probably would have enjoyed because the lines were hours long (that 4D show - people that were in the middle of the line said that they had already waited over an hr!) The closures were surprising because it IS spring break season. Thought that was bad planning on SW's part.

We bought the "Fun Card" that's good for a yr because it's been a LONG time since we've visited SW, but have no desire to go back. The San Diego Zoo blows Sea World away - and is a MUCH better deal & so much less crowded and more fun and interesting. I thought the zoo's animals made SW's animals look sickly. (JMO)

Lives4Disney :)

We went to SeaWorld about a week and a half ago and then the SD Zoo two days later. While SeaWorld was a fun day (because the weather was lovely and we were with family) it was BIG TIME CROWDED and we were also disappointed in the closures and I thought the Believe show was cheesey. One of the large jumbotron screens was broken, too, and was black the whole time - that added to the cheesiness. I thought the place wasn't built to handle the crowds we experienced. The lines were horrendous for the extra attractions and about 8 people deep to see the animal exhibits. We didn't bother with a lot of the extras that my kids probably would have enjoyed because the lines were hours long (that 4D show - people that were in the middle of the line said that they had already waited over an hr!) The closures were surprising because it IS spring break season. Thought that was bad planning on SW's part.

We bought the "Fun Card" that's good for a yr because it's been a LONG time since we've visited SW, but have no desire to go back. The San Diego Zoo blows Sea World away - and is a MUCH better deal & so much less crowded and more fun and interesting. I thought the zoo's animals made SW's animals look sickly. (JMO)

Our group also much preferred The San Diego Zoo, but I have to say that it wasn't as handicapped accessible as Sea World. I also don't think that the zoo employees were very helpful when trying to do the zoo with a wheelchair. That said, we enjoyed our zoo day very much and the food at the zoo is so much better than at Sea World! Add that to the lower admission cost and I would definitely recommend the zoo over Sea World to people.

Lives4Disney, have you ever been to Sea World in Orlando? I'm afraid it would be pretty much of the same thing. Some of the previous posts said I should still visit it, but it didn't look like any of the people who said that had ever been themselves.

Our group also much preferred The San Diego Zoo, but I have to say that it wasn't as handicapped accessible as Sea World. I also don't think that the zoo employees were very helpful when trying to do the zoo with a wheelchair. That said, we enjoyed our zoo day very much and the food at the zoo is so much better than at Sea World! Add that to the lower admission cost and I would definitely recommend the zoo over Sea World to people.

Lives4Disney, have you ever been to Sea World in Orlando? I'm afraid it would be pretty much of the same thing. Some of the previous posts said I should still visit it, but it didn't look like any of the people who said that had ever been themselves.

I can totally agree & understand that the zoo would be tough in a wheelchair! I didn't notice anybody in a wheelchair, but I noticed a lot of parents pushing strollers and thought to myself I am sure glad I am not one of them!! I forgot how hilly and difficult some areas of the zoo can be. It was a workout.

I was actually at the Orlando SeaWorld 8 yrs ago....that was the only SeaWorld I had ever visited until we did San Diego. My family wasn't thrilled with it back then, either - that's why the LONG time between visits. :rolleyes: I am sure things have changed and they've added to the Orlando SW, but I guess it's just not our thing - I tend to think it is pretty much the same as San Diego's. :confused3 Sorry I can't be of more help regarding Orlando. We visit WDW several times a yr, but have no desire to do SW when we're there. We don't want to waste a WDW minute. ;)

Take care,

I've never been able to understand why everyone raves about Seaworld. We went to Seaworld in Orlando several years ago - probably 10 years ago - and it was expensive and frankly, kind of boring. As soon as we got through the gate the kids were saying "Can't we just go back to the hotel and swim?" but since we PAID so much to get in we made them suffer through Seaworld the entire day. They liked the part that was a mini water park and the rest of the day they asked if we could leave yet. Just didn't do anything for us - not me, my DH or any of our three kids. So when I see people say how wonderful it is, I just have to think HMMMMM - cause I don't get i!!

We went to Seaworld in SD Thanksgiving 2005 and it was horrible. Alot of closures and it was just boring. My kids did not enjoy it. We had the Southern California City Pass so at least we didn't pay full price. My kids loved the San Diego Zoo.

I can totally agree & understand that the zoo would be tough in a wheelchair! I didn't notice anybody in a wheelchair, but I noticed a lot of parents pushing strollers and thought to myself I am sure glad I am not one of them!! I forgot how hilly and difficult some areas of the zoo can be. It was a workout.

I was actually at the Orlando SeaWorld 8 yrs ago....that was the only SeaWorld I had ever visited until we did San Diego. My family wasn't thrilled with it back then, either - that's why the LONG time between visits. :rolleyes: I am sure things have changed and they've added to the Orlando SW, but I guess it's just not our thing - I tend to think it is pretty much the same as San Diego's. :confused3 Sorry I can't be of more help regarding Orlando. We visit WDW several times a yr, but have no desire to do SW when we're there. We don't want to waste a WDW minute. ;)

Take care,

Our group included one in a wheelchair and one with a cane so it was interesting and eye opening. I had gone online to the zoo's web site and basically all it said was that it was handicapped accessible. When we got there they gave us a sheet which was confusing to say the least. It mostly said that when you needed help, ask any employee for assistance. Naturally, we did the tour bus first, but we wanted to eat at Anthony's which is up in the gorilla area. We got to the spot where the moving walkway goes up to it and there is a sign that says, "No wheelchairs or strollers." I asked an employee for help and he told us that people in wheelchairs use the walkway all the time. So my mom got out and stood on the walkway and we loaded the wheelchair behind us. We did get a few dirty looks from other people on the walkway. I don't blame them, even with the brakes on, if I had let go, it would have knocked them over like bowling pins!

On our way back to the front gate it was all uphill so again I asked for assistance at one of the bus stops. He said that he could call someone, but "it would take too long." We should just ride the bus. Okay, but when the bus got there, there was no ramp for the wheelchair and the driver refused to help me load or unload the wheelchair in the bus. With a lot of difficulty I managed to load and unload it myself, but what would we have done if my mother was not able to transfer from the chair and use her cane for a few assisted steps? I think the San Diego Zoo needs to retrain a lot of their employees in this important area.

Thanks for the info on the Orlando Sea World. I think I will pass on it this year and do another day at Disney.

One thing to keep in mind is that in June, there will be MUCH less closures because of hot weather (all water attractions open) and high crowds. Now I'm not saying another day at Disney would be bad, I'm just saying you won't experience many shut down attractions.

One thing to keep in mind is that in June, there will be MUCH less closures because of hot weather (all water attractions open) and high crowds. Now I'm not saying another day at Disney would be bad, I'm just saying you won't experience many shut down attractions.

Thank you DLR29. Do you know of somewhere on the Internet that would list current closures at the different Sea Worlds? You know, like you can for Disney? I didn't see anything on their web page, but perhaps I missed it.

I'm sorry that your time at Sea World was uneventful. I live here in SD and have season passes and go all the time. I find it unusuall that all those things were shut down :confused3

It is expensive for the day but as season family pass holders it is not. We hardly ever run into anything shut down. I do recall the penguin exhibit closed last time we were there also however.

We were at Disneyland and got home yeasterday...talk about brocken rides and things shut down!!! and crowds were like we had never seen before!!!! This was our first time going during Spring Break and also our last:scared:

The zoo is always great if your up to going up and down hills. They do have a bus ride but you miss so much when not walking. We are also season pass holders for the zoo.

The Wild Animal Park is fun to go to...also alot of walking if you walk on the path and they have a Tram you can go on first. Yes, we are season pass holders for that also.. after all we do live:confused3 in SD :)

Legoland well we are no longer pass holders...kids are to old for it know.

Anyway we love SW and are planning on going next weekend but I will first check to see if all is still closed cause if so will just wait till they are up and running:thumbsup2

It is great living here in SD there is soooo much to do or not do....and having Disneyland 1 hr 20 minutes away is an extra great bonus, along with Knotts berry farm and Magic Mountain and Universal studios and everything else....life is good:cool1:

O and yes hopefully in 2011 a new cruise ship to add to the mix for Disneyland ;)

Hi there,

I'm usually over on the WDW boards because Orlando is normally our annual vacation spot. I was over here peeking around for ideas for a 2008 trip to California when I stumbled across this post.

I've been including Seaworld and Universal on our yearly trips to WDW and wanted to comment that Seaworld in Florida is just wonderful. I don't know how it works in California but there are many many websites devoted to Orlando parks so its easy to figure out what, if any, attractions will be closed during any given period.

Compared to WDW, I think Seaworld tickets are inexpensive and a good value for Orlando. My families favorite experience is feeding & petting the dolphins for $4/4 fish. DH & DS loved the Kraken roller coaster. We all loved stopping in to share a appetizer pizza & sodas in the otherwise expensive 'Shark Reef' restaurant where you eat watching the shark aquarium. Penguin encounter is
another favorite.

I guess, to me, Seaworld is a great place that shouldn't be missed especially if you won't be back to Orlando every year. If you don't mind, I'd suggest poking around the WDW boards for some info on the East Coasts version of SeaWorld before making a final decision.

I hope you have a great time when you get to Orlando.:thumbsup2

I posted a complaint on SD SeaWorld, and as I mentioned there, in the past (~8-12 years ago) I absolutely LOVED SeaWorld. It was right up there with Disney for me, growing up. I love the interaction with the animals; I just feel like SD SeaWorld was very showy and storylined with minimal focus on the animals. Can anyone offer a recent comparison of the two parks?

I posted a complaint on SD SeaWorld, and as I mentioned there, in the past (~8-12 years ago) I absolutely LOVED SeaWorld. It was right up there with Disney for me, growing up. I love the interaction with the animals; I just feel like SD SeaWorld was very showy and storylined with minimal focus on the animals. Can anyone offer a recent comparison of the two parks?[/QUOTE

I know what you mean Travelgirl06! I have been going to Sea World San Diego since it opened. I miss the pearl divers and a nice sit down table service restaurant among other things.

I also would welcome a recent comparison of the two parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter