Discovery Cove/SeaWorld or Universal Studios??

friendlycanuck

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone:
This being are first trip to orlando, I am hoping for some feed back...we will be in orlando for 9 full days and of that 9 days 5 will be for disney world....will we be all tuckered and amused out after 5 days at wdw to do universal studios or would it be more relaxing to take in discovery cove and seaworld?? We are traveling with our two girls aged 10 and 13, our 13 year old having Down's Syndrome.....can't wait!!! Nov 28- Dec. 8 :D

I think that it all depends on what type of kids you have. I have done Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and Sea World. We have not done Discovery Cove yet (our little one is only 2 1/2 so we want to wait to try it when she is older).

The Universal parks are very ride intensive. I think that their rides are actually better than Disney's. They are all Tower of Terror type quality to me. Great thrills and all that jazz. I am a ride person and love every minute of it. Back to the Future, Et and Sprderman are awesome. My husband is not a ride person (motion sickness) so we go there less often.

We have been doing Sea World every trip for the last three trips since our daughter has been around. She loves looking at the animals and the fish. She is a manatee freak, she has a video she watches all of the time (we also spend a lot of time at the Living Seas!). Sea World is more relaxed to us. It is more shows and less rides and this suits my husband fine. It is also right up our little girl's alley. I am guessing when she gets older and if she likes rides our focus will switch.

I know it is not exactly an answer for you, but your family knows what it will like and you can base the decision on that. I always like to go to another park other than Disney when we are there. It breaks up the vacation a little. I usually do 5 Disney days and one other day away from Disney, so your family should not be too exhausted!

Have a great time.

Hi Tink
Thanks a million for your reply, this helps alot.....my 13 year old is not into rides, when we went to Hershey Park a couple of years ago, she just stood and watched...we are hoping this time it will be different for her and she won't have so much fear at disney, Of course my 10 year old daughter is right into the thrill of it all....they both love animals, and would love to swim with the dolphins, we will have to decide.....thanks again Robin ;)

Well, if you do Discovery Cove, then you get 7 days of Sea World for free.

It seems like your daughters would love Sea World. They have the dolphins and stingrays you can feed, shows, plus a couple thrill rides with Kraken and JTA.

I would go for DC/Sea World as well, since they are laid back kids. Sea World is FREE for seven days.

DC is wonderful, you will really enjoy it, it was the highlight of our trip.

DC/SW is more different from Disney than Universal--it will give your trip more variety.

My wife and I were in Orlando a couple of weeks ago.

Discovery Cove was the best day we had (especially if you like to swim and snorkel). We also went to Seaworld on two separate days.

We did go to Universal Studios for one day. It was not as enjoyable as DC or SW.

Hi Again.....just want to say thanks for all of your input and advise....we will probably take in discovery cove and sea world as I think my 13 year old will enjoy this far better the universal....but you must need great weather to thoroughly enjoy a day there....hopefully this will be the case for our family :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter