Disillusioned by Universal. Not looking forward to trip

Have you checked Orbitz? Back in 2014, I hit a killer sale which gave me $100 off any hotel stay. I ended up paying $256 incl taxes and fees for one night at Hard Rock Hotel.

Have you checked Orbitz? Back in 2014, I hit a killer sale which gave me $100 off any hotel stay. I ended up paying $256 incl taxes and fees for one night at Hard Rock Hotel.
At least 3 times a day I check Loews, Universal, and other sites like Expedia, Orbitz, Kayak, hotels.com, priceline, etc, etc, etc. They are all still at rack rate for my dates.

I could have written your post, except I am going in April. Our HRH rate is $524/night…outrageous! I have been checking daily for a better rate, and the prices haven't budged. I do think they are just being greedy…even RPR is $474/night. For comparison, we stayed at RPR the same week in 2015 and paid $339/night. I think that's about what it's worth, to be honest. They are just price gouging, well, because they can. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth too, but I have already promised the kids we'd go for a couple days before our WDW trip, and I have already purchased my AP because DH and I went in October for a couple nights.

I have priced out staying at CBBR and purchasing the EPs separately, but essentially, the price came out to be about the same.

I ended up changing our trip a little bit and cutting out a night at UO and adding another night at WDW. We got a nice AP rate at POR for $223/night. It does mean moving around a little bit more than we wanted but we'll be saving more that $500, so it's worth it.

After this next trip in April, I am so done with Universal and their overpriced hotels.

Last edited:

At least 3 times a day I check Loews, Universal, and other sites like Expedia, Orbitz, Kayak, hotels.com, priceline, etc, etc, etc. They are all still at rack rate for my dates.
Are you clearing your cookies? Necessary when shopping like that.

Could also be that rooms are blocked for convention(s). Unsold will be released back into inventory typically starting 2-3 weeks out. Keep checking

I definitely paid more than I wanted to around Columbus Day weekend, and more than the year before. But all the rooms were booked solid and it was a holiday weekend for those of us with school-aged kids. I don't doubt the word has gotten out and the rates for the EP eligible rooms will continue to steadily rise for peak and off-peak. Weekend pricing is crazy for summer and the crowds that come with it. So I'll just stick to using DVC points on weekend nights and staying at Uni hotels during the week.

Any Canadians here hold a TD credit card? I just got this Black Friday offer. Not sure if Universal onsite hotels would be included?

For 24 hours, save an additional 50% off the original discounted price for a stand-alone hotel booking through Expedia For TD using promo code TDBF50 (limited availability; travel by April 30, 2018; minimum $200 spend) at checkout!

Qualifying Bookings: This coupon code discount applies only to stand-alone hotel bookings (not a hotel booking in combination with any other product or offering such as flight + hotel or flight + hotel + car) that are prepaid at the time of booking (subject to the restrictions set out in the Terms and Conditions below).

Minimum Spend: $200 CAD or more (minimum spend is the price of the travel reservation excluding any taxes, fees or additional costs). This spend must take place in one transaction.
Redemption Period: 12:00pm ET, November 24, 2017 to 12:00pm ET, November 25, 2017.
Travel Period: The travel dates must be between November 25, 2017 and April 30, 2018 (inclusive).

The onsite resorts may be nicer then Disney's, but I agree, they're still way overpriced, even with express passes. Last we went and stayed onsite, didn't even need them because it was so quiet. Could have saved the money and stayed at the condo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts