Disingenuous Disney Rep

Fair enough... But in a high-pressure sales environment like cars and timeshares, it is not a reasonable question to ask, "What is the least I can possibly spend with you to minimize your commission, maximize my benefit, and spend the bulk of my money elsewhere?" -- with a straight face expecting a truly honest answer. The answer you get will likely be hedged against you from several angles... quantity, price, perks, etc. I doubt the guide was just mistaken since he knew in the end he could give more. Seriously go sit through any timeshare presentation and you will see extreme attempts to mislead left and right. I can relate to the OPs rant... Our guide played the perks angle more than the quantity, but same effect. I don't look at him as having attempted to defraud me.

I'm relatively certain that DVC outlines what the minimums are for purchasing. I know I've received cards in the past talking about minimums. A sales person for DVC claiming otherwise is not representing what DVC writes and I'd agree is no comparison to buying a car which does involve negotiations. DVC does not.

A sales person for DVC claiming otherwise is not representing what DVC writes and I'd agree is no comparison to buying a car which does involve negotiations. DVC does not.
I think every big ticket purchase involves negotiations. Especially cars and timeshares. Disney just tells you they are guides, not salespeople, and they don't negotiate because they want you to think this. Obviously they attempted some textbook negotiations in this example.

Fair enough... But in a high-pressure sales environment like cars and timeshares, it is not a reasonable question to ask, "What is the least I can possibly spend with you to minimize your commission, maximize my benefit, and spend the bulk of my money elsewhere?" -- with a straight face expecting a truly honest answer. The answer you get will likely be hedged against you from several angles... quantity, price, perks, etc. I doubt the guide was just mistaken since he knew in the end he could give more. Seriously go sit through any timeshare presentation and you will see extreme attempts to mislead left and right. I can relate to the OPs rant... Our guide played the perks angle more than the quantity, but same effect. I don't look at him as having attempted to defraud me.

That isn't what OP said happened, did you read the post at all, they specifically asked for something that should have been available.

What about a guide who isn't very good? We just bought resale and I have been trying to add on direct. The original guide I spoke with when I called is now officially our guide. I had emailed him and he did not respond. I called 2 more times after that and was told he was on lunch break so I spoke with 2 other guides but I was told they couldn't sell to me. They said it would be an immediate transaction even though there technically is a wait list because there is alot of contracts available. Once I got my member number I called my guide, I got him on the phone and said let's do it! He said the contract I wanted was available, that he will enter the information and call me right back once it processes to get my credit card info. That was 3 days ago. I emailed him twice and he has not responded. I am frustrated as I wanted to use the points in October for one night and there is availability. Should I just call and ask for another guide? thanks.

What about a guide who isn't very good? We just bought resale and I have been trying to add on direct. The original guide I spoke with when I called is now officially our guide. I had emailed him and he did not respond. I called 2 more times after that and was told he was on lunch break so I spoke with 2 other guides but I was told they couldn't sell to me. They said it would be an immediate transaction even though there technically is a wait list because there is alot of contracts available. Once I got my member number I called my guide, I got him on the phone and said let's do it! He said the contract I wanted was available, that he will enter the information and call me right back once it processes to get my credit card info. That was 3 days ago. I emailed him twice and he has not responded. I am frustrated as I wanted to use the points in October for one night and there is availability. Should I just call and ask for another guide? thanks.

Guides are not allowed to use email which creates a written record of what transpired. They also don't need a contract that matches what you want, just enough points available in a unit for the UY you want. They make a new contract from the points.

:earsboy: Bill

Yes, call and ask to be assigned a new guide. They are sales people and it shouldn't require so much time and calling on your part just to get any response at all.

Guides are not allowed to use email which creates a written record of what transpired. They also don't need a contract that matches what you want, just enough points available in a unit for the UY you want. They make a new contract from the points.

Thank you! He replied twice after we first spoke but then it has been radio silence.

Yes, call and ask to be assigned a new guide. They are sales people and it shouldn't require so much time and calling on your part just to get any response at all.
Thank you. I was originally told I had to deal with him but I will call and be more direct. I need this purchase completed ASAP as we are traveling to Disney in 2 weeks and we are going to upgrade our park hopper tickets to annual passes. Obviously we would like to use the new DVC discount for passes.

Thank you. I was originally told I had to deal with him but I will call and be more direct. I need this purchase completed ASAP as we are traveling to Disney in 2 weeks and we are going to upgrade our park hopper tickets to annual passes. Obviously we would like to use the new DVC discount for passes.

I would wait, make an appointment and complete the purchase at Disney, they will fast track you, give you some extras, and drive you to the park or back to your resort.

I would wait, make an appointment and complete the purchase at Disney, they will fast track you, give you some extras, and drive you to the park or back to your resort.

this could backfire depending on which resort they're trying to buy direct. For many of the properties, you have to strike while the iron is hot.

We are looking at purchasing 25 Boardwalk points as an add on to our resale.

Then buy now over the phone and sign there with the understanding that they will load your points, get you a member card, give you a tote bag, fast passes, ice cream, lemonade, upgrade your admission and a ride to the park.

You need to understand that your guide will spend his time on processing larger sales before he works on your 25 pointer. That may be the reason that he is slow to get back to you.

We are looking at purchasing 25 Boardwalk points as an add on to our resale.

I would move ASAP then and not wait. While BWV is usually easier to get direct than say VGF/VGC/BCV -- you'd be risking not getting points (and therefore no AP discount) for the benefit of getting some additional FPs and swag when buying in person. Not worth the risk to me.

Call them up and demand a new guide.

Is this true? They can break up a larger contract and sell it off? If so can they also change the use year?

Is this true? They can break up a larger contract and sell it off? If so can they also change the use year?

they can most definitely repackage a larger contract into multiple smaller ones.

I'm not certain about the UY. My understanding is that the UY is tied to the actual condo unit, and that is not something they can change. This is one reason why someone else might be able to get a 25 point add on at the same resort as you. Their UY was available and yours was not. Again, not certain about this, but I have read reports that is the case.

they can most definitely repackage a larger contract into multiple smaller ones.

I'm not certain about the UY. My understanding is that the UY is tied to the actual condo unit, and that is not something they can change. This is one reason why someone else might be able to get a 25 point add on at the same resort as you. Their UY was available and yours was not. Again, not certain about this, but I have read reports that is the case.

You are correct, they need enough points for the requested UY all in the same condo unit. They repackage the points into the desired contract size.

You can go thru MS - tell the CM you need to talk to someone about changing guides. I changed in the past and it was easy but I was also definite I wanted to change.

As the developer DVD can break up the contracts but once the unit is assigned a UY it stays with that so that is something they don't change.

Thank you everyone. These boards have been a wealth of information, we certainly appreciate everyone's comments. I finally got the guide on the phone and he said that there was someone in front of me on the waitlist and they have 4 days to make a decision. He told me to hang tight one more day and he promised a call back either way. If he doesn't call tomorrow then I will get a new guide. I'm going to call member services now to make my first DVC reservation with my resale points for Feb. Have a great day everyone!

Thank you everyone. These boards have been a wealth of information, we certainly appreciate everyone's comments. I finally got the guide on the phone and he said that there was someone in front of me on the waitlist and they have 4 days to make a decision. He told me to hang tight one more day and he promised a call back either way. If he doesn't call tomorrow then I will get a new guide. I'm going to call member services now to make my first DVC reservation with my resale points for Feb. Have a great day everyone!

Why not book your reservation online? I have found that while some MS agents are experienced well qualified people, I have less issues, mistakes, and no wait booking online.

Why not book your reservation online? I have found that while some MS agents are experienced well qualified people, I have less issues, mistakes, and no wait booking online.

Thanks! Unfortunately I do not have enough points in my account to book my trip, but I will be able to borrow them at time of travel. I was told I could call and MS can book for you. I just looked online at the availability so I have an idea where we want to stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter