Disingenuous Disney Rep

You can buy resale which will cost you 120-140 per point. Not a huge amount but still a savings. It is far cheaper at other resorts. How long do you travel for? Do you travel every year or every other year? Do you plan your trips at 7+ months out?
It would depend. For a fully loaded contract clearly better at resale and add 25 retail even at 140 as long as they don't have other extra fees like overpaying for maint fees which most do on a resale. But realistically getting a fully loaded contract is difficult. A fully loaded contract will give you more points than you get from DVC while a fully stripped contract would give you a lot less. The real cost difference between fully loaded and fully stripped can be easily $25 pp or more.

Just run the numbers and make sure you're saving enough on resale. 215 points direct will be $34K, resale of 190 @$140 plus 25 retail will be $31K. IMO that's not enough of a difference to justify the aggravation of resale, may as well get going day 1 retail, pick the UY, get the points, get a fairly loaded (but not fully loaded) contract and be making reservations right away. I think one has to do significantly better on total points or get a lower price compared to this scenario to justify resale on Poly. Now most new DVC buyers don't know their preferences enough to justify the top end ($$$ wise) like this but for someone who has a lot of Poly experience and knows (not just thinks) that's where they want to be, it might be reasonable if they meet the other criteria (go at least EOY, afford it, plan 7-11 months ahead, OK with the compromises of a timeshare). Even then, buying Poly to use around the other resorts likely isn't a good choice.

First time buyers have a different minimum. At one time the minimum was 200 points, later 160 points for first time buyers.

:earsboy: Bill
Was it ever an even 200? I remember 230, 210, 190?, 150, 160 & 100 plus 50 variably at some resorts.

Well this is another question I have been pondering and you seem to be the right person to ask.... we have vacationed at Disney every year, twice a year since my 16 year old was a baby. We usually stay at BC or Boardwalk or poly (sometimes Floridian). Lately, as the kids are getting older, we have been doing a Disney cruise on spring break and the World in summer. Realistically does home resort matter? Can we still get a poly studio 7 months out? While our favorite resort is the poly we also love Boardwalk and Beach. Is that premium worth the cost? We were going to buy two split contracts of 150 ( Legacy points for my future grandkids) at poly. But That price.. if I put it in a interest account also provides vacations and no annual fees
IMO you will likely be able to get in to Poly most of the time right a 7 months out but you might need to use the wait list at times but there are no guarantees. BCV and BWV will be tougher esp BCV and BWV standard view. I presume you're looking at the cruise on cash. For this situation buying SSR/OKW/AKV or off property may not be a good choice if it matters that much where you stay. IMO buying as a legacy isn't generally a reasonable option but with your circumstance, 2 contracts in the 150 pt range at different resorts plus a 25 pt add on retail might be the best choice. Maybe Poly and BWV or VGF/BWV. BCV is a premium as is Poly compared to their long term value, IMO.

IMO you will likely be able to get in to Poly most of the time right a 7 months out but you might need to use the wait list at times but there are no guarantees. BCV and BWV will be tougher esp BCV and BWV standard view. I presume you're looking at the cruise on cash. For this situation buying SSR/OKW/AKV or off property may not be a good choice if it matters that much where you stay. IMO buying as a legacy isn't generally a reasonable option but with your circumstance, 2 contracts in the 150 pt range at different resorts plus a 25 pt add on retail might be the best choice. Maybe Poly and BWV or VGF/BWV. BCV is a premium as is Poly compared to their long term value, IMO.

Wow! Thanks for that input. Our vacation patterns have changed so much over the years. Our cruise would be cash Looked at that chart not a good use of points. These points are solely for Disney resorts and nothing more. So if it's easier to book poly at 7 months (of course not guaranteed) vs Boardwalk and beach then It would suggest makes more sense to buy there?

Well this is another question I have been pondering and you seem to be the right person to ask.... we have vacationed at Disney every year, twice a year since my 16 year old was a baby. We usually stay at BC or Boardwalk or poly (sometimes Floridian). Lately, as the kids are getting older, we have been doing a Disney cruise on spring break and the World in summer. Realistically does home resort matter? Can we still get a poly studio 7 months out? While our favorite resort is the poly we also love Boardwalk and Beach. Is that premium worth the cost? We were going to buy two split contracts of 150 ( Legacy points for my future grandkids) at poly. But That price.. if I put it in a interest account also provides vacations and no annual fees
BC ( right now seems to be going for $115ish per point ) and BWV( right now going for 95-105ish per point) both are good choices. The trade off is they are only good for 25 more years. I think that I would add up the costs(purchase price plus estimated annual dues per year) and divide it by 25 vacations. Does that number seem reasonable to you? With DVC you are just prepaying for your room in advance.
Summer at Disney in terms of DVC is more off the off season. Points used per room per night is high so there is more inventory. Now end of September through January?? You may not find any premium rooms at 7 months out and just a sprinkling of days at non premium resorts. If you want to travel those times buy where you want to STAY. Point being, home resort ALWAYS matters.

Buying smaller contracts through resale will mean you are paying more per point and twice as many fees. I will also say that buying DVC tends to lead to more buying of DVC so be prepared...lol.

Wow! Thanks for that input. Our vacation patterns have changed so much over the years. Our cruise would be cash Looked at that chart not a good use of points. These points are solely for Disney resorts and nothing more. So if it's easier to book poly at 7 months (of course not guaranteed) vs Boardwalk and beach then It would suggest makes more sense to buy there?
I think that they all are difficult to get into. Poly has been a bit easier to get into as it wasn't fully declared but that will soon change (if it already hasn't).

BC ( right now seems to be going for $115ish per point ) and BWV( right now going for 95-105ish per point) both are good choices. The trade off is they are only good for 25 more years. I think that I would add up the costs(purchase price plus estimated annual dues per year) and divide it by 25 vacations. Does that number seem reasonable to you? With DVC you are just prepaying for your room in advance.
Summer at Disney in terms of DVC is more off the off season. Points used per room per night is high so there is more inventory. Now end of September through January?? You may not find any premium rooms at 7 months out and just a sprinkling of days at non premium resorts. If you want to travel those times buy where you want to STAY. Point being, home resort ALWAYS matters.

Buying smaller contracts through resale will mean you are paying more per point and twice as many fees. I will also say that buying DVC tends to lead to more buying of DVC so be prepared...lol.

Wow!!! You are so helpful thank you ! This has flipped my thinking. Curious because now I understand that DVC owners are maximizing points to get the most out of their memberships. Makes sense. That means the off season to me is a high season for DVC members :-).

Ok what about spring break? What does availability look like 7 months out?

IMO it will be easier long term but Poly is a bit of an unknown because it's just been fully declared and thus is not fully sold out. It takes 2-3 years once sold out for members and non members to work through their usage cycles before you'll know for sure. Even then there are no guarantees, even owning and reserving at 11 months out isn't a guarantee but it's the best chance of success. Realize your patterns and preferences will continue to change which is why I feel that no one new to DVC and fairly new to Disney can make a good choice and thus if they go for the new high end options, almost always make a poor choice and overpaying. But in your case you have a ton of experience on property at the options in question so the question is what's the least amount of compromise for the best price. It doesn't sound like buying SSR or AKV and chasing options at 7 months would fit your situation. Buying ONE EPCOT resort and one MK resort might be the best in your situation assuming you need at least 300 pts total to do what you need. BWV and BLT will be the cheapest that actually do that when you look at all of the variables including RTU, price and dues. That's esp true if you'll reserve at 11 months out and use standard view options. BCV and Poly will likely be among the highest cost and ? least long term value. One you are past much of the emotions and have enough real information, that and your own personal knowledge and preferences should answer these questions for you better than we ever could ourselves.

Realistically does home resort matter?

Yes.

Can we still get a poly studio 7 months out?

Maybe. The issue with the Poly is that 25% of the points sold there are from the bungalows, but most people bought contracts too small to book bungalows. So demand for studios is going to be skewed, and could very well create booking issues throughout the year. The demand curve for Poly still isn't settled, because the last group of units was only declared in the last month. But the point distribution suggests booking issues at 7 months for more of the year than just the usual 3-4 months at year-end.

While our favorite resort is the poly we also love Boardwalk and Beach. Is that premium worth the cost?

BCV and BWV will only get harder to book, all times of year. They are small, they are popular, and people buying resale today at either are doing it to book there.

Most of the time, it's not recommended to buy based on legacy. You don't know what your children/grandchildren will be doing, functionally or financially, in 30 years. Most DVC owners own for far less than contract length.

IMO it will be easier long term but Poly is a bit of an unknown because it's just been fully declared and thus is not fully sold out. It takes 2-3 years once sold out for members and non members to work through their usage cycles before you'll know for sure. Even then there are no guarantees, even owning and reserving at 11 months out isn't a guarantee but it's the best chance of success. Realize your patterns and preferences will continue to change which is why I feel that no one new to DVC and fairly new to Disney can make a good choice and thus if they go for the new high end options, almost always make a poor choice and overpaying. But in your case you have a ton of experience on property at the options in question so the question is what's the least amount of compromise for the best price. It doesn't sound like buying SSR or AKV and chasing options at 7 months would fit your situation. Buying ONE EPCOT resort and one MK resort might be the best in your situation assuming you need at least 300 pts total to do what you need. BWV and BLT will be the cheapest that actually do that when you look at all of the variables including RTU, price and dues. That's esp true if you'll reserve at 11 months out and use standard view options. BCV and Poly will likely be among the highest cost and ? least long term value. One you are past much of the emotions and have enough real information, that and your own personal knowledge and preferences should answer these questions for you better than we ever could ourselves.

Thank you :-) and it's hard which is why I always say "forget this lol" and have paid for rooms because I love Disney but always get nervous about giving up my purchase power. We do rent points and what I find interesting anecdotally is that we are trying to rent points with another family for spring break 2018. I had the broker run the dates and nothing is available at other resorts during that time but she shows high availability at the poly We just need a poly owner to take the points at this window. None will cause she said it's "honeymoon period" but 7 month she thinks we will get it. That surprised me. But it is real market data. I havent been able to rent a villa at beach club in ages :-( and has to spend lots to buy connecting rooms at the yacht club. We travel with friends and family a bit :-) thanks for your input. I will probably spend another week stressing about this ;-) I'm an attorney so I always get stuck at what if. And I don't like that open maintanace fee at all :-/

Yes.

Maybe. The issue with the Poly is that 25% of the points sold there are from the bungalows, but most people bought contracts too small to book bungalows. So demand for studios is going to be skewed, and could very well create booking issues throughout the year. The demand curve for Poly still isn't settled, because the last group of units was only declared in the last month. But the point distribution suggests booking issues at 7 months for more of the year than just the usual 3-4 months at year-end.

So do you think the Poly is less attractive due to their lack of choice? That's something I was going back and forth with my guide. It's either this grossly overpriced bungalow or studio. Nothing in between. We rented BLT two bedroom once and absolutely adored the layout.

Thank you :-) and it's hard which is why I always say "forget this lol" and have paid for rooms because I love Disney but always get nervous about giving up my purchase power. We do rent points and what I find interesting anecdotally is that we are trying to rent points with another family for spring break 2018. I had the broker run the dates and nothing is available at other resorts during that time but she shows high availability at the poly We just need a poly owner to take the points at this window. None will cause she said it's "honeymoon period" but 7 month she thinks we will get it. That surprised me. But it is real market data. I havent been able to rent a villa at beach club in ages :-( and has to spend lots to buy connecting rooms at the yacht club. We travel with friends and family a bit :-) thanks for your input. I will probably spend another week stressing about this ;-) I'm an attorney so I always get stuck at what if. And I don't like that open maintanace fee at all :-/
Keep asking questions and good luck :)

So do you think the Poly is less attractive due to their lack of choice? That's something I was going back and forth with my guide. It's either this grossly overpriced bungalow or studio. Nothing in between. We rented BLT two bedroom once and absolutely adored the layout.

Poly is fine if you want studios 80%+ of the time and want to stay at Poly. If you need a larger unit, you either end up booking two studios (no kitchen), or you book at 7 months. Most of the year you are most likely to end up at Saratoga, OKW or AKV at 7 months, but may be able to get others in some seasons. BLT can happen in the off season, but mostly Lake View.

Points charts have to be considered as well. Poly studios are huge, with two bathroom and sleep 5, but the points cost per night is huge as well. With about the point for a studio at the poly, you can get a 1Bed at OKW or SSR, just add a few more and you can book a 1bed at most resorts. Will Poly owners be tempted? I absolutely loved my stay there in January, but when considering the points per night, I will do a split stay there once in a while rather than a full 2 weeks vacation every year. This and the lack of 1bed or viable 2 bed may lower demand and offset the bungalows points.

If I have to bet, I'd say the Poly will be available at 7 months most of the year, outside fall frenzy, but availability will last only a few seconds, as request to move there at 7 months will always be high.

Just a rant: So after years of contemplating whether DVC is worth it...we have finally decided to buy a resale contract and purchase 25 points direct. Yesterday, I was on the phone with a Disney rep talking prices and he told me several times that the least amount of points I could buy was 50. I told him 3 times that I have done quite a bit of research and I was under the impression it was 25. He told me flat out that I was wrong. My husband was in the background and stated that his brother just purchased 25 points and told me to hang up and he will talk to the other rep his brother used....(this is totally not true about his brother)but anyway... all of a sudden, the rep remembered that I could in fact, only purchase 25. So sad that he had to lie to me. I understand you want to make a sale but come on. Sorry...rant over!
Most of the resorts have a minimum of 25 points for add-on, at least one has a minimum of 50 points for add-on.

For some it's easy to fall into analysis paralysis and often just give up on it. While you are giving up a certain amount of control and options by buying in, you are potentially saving as well, likely more than you would cash with codes long term. Since you have rented and have a significant amount of on property experience, I don't see much down side assuming you can pay cash for it. My guess is that Poly will be one of the easier on property studios though not to the level of SSR. At some point you've just got to decide whether "to fish or cut bait" as they say. My sense is a good choice as you've presented it is to make your best stab at this, buy resale and see how it goes. IF it seems to be working out for you, then buy 25 retail but wait until you're sure. Worst case cost for doing this with retail would be somewhere around 10% plus the closing and additional extras associated with resale. Maybe $2500-3000 on 200 points roughly. And in some situations buying SSR resale as a trial run might be best in your situation even if you don't think you'd want to stay there routinely. Better to underbuy in terms of points and resort and sell later than overbuy, though I wouldn't go under about 150 points for most situations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter