**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

The confusing part about this is that some people report having gone on a sold out night, and having no lines

The only explanation if they are not the same party is that they've increased the number of tickets they sell. If they've done that, it wouldn't have to be a sell out to have long lines and a near hour wait is a long line. I don't stand in those in the middle of the day. I'm going mid March and if I experience the lines that are being discussed here, I'll be at guest services asking for a refund of some kind. If they want to increase ticket sales, then need to amend the description. Really, really disappointed. I've been watching this since the first one we attended last year and wondered just when they'd mess this one up like they did the holiday parties.

A sold out event is a sold out event, regardless of what day it is. The crowd should still be at a level with little wait times. In my book, anything more than 20 minutes, and honestly, I think they ought to be virtual walk ons, is not acceptable to me.

We were there last night and it was not good. Crowded, waits everywhere and waits of 45 - 50 minutes on mine train and space mountain. Space was down over 30 min and big thunder down for 40ish minutes. I’m really not happy with the price I paid for my family of five to attend. We were tired and grumpy and just left the park at 12 without complaining. Feeling sorry I did that, it’s actually caused me a pretty poor nights sleep thinking about the waste of cash!

is there an email I could send my thoughts to? Or should I bother talking to the front desk at my hotel (ASMo) ?

Talk to guest services in person, preferably at the MK. I wouldn't wait until you get home. You can always email a follow up later.

The only explanation if they are not the same party is that they've increased the number of tickets they sell. If they've done that, it wouldn't have to be a sell out to have long lines and a near hour wait is a long line. I don't stand in those in the middle of the day. I'm going mid March and if I experience the lines that are being discussed here, I'll be at guest services asking for a refund of some kind. If they want to increase ticket sales, then need to amend the description. Really, really disappointed. I've been watching this since the first one we attended last year and wondered just when they'd mess this one up like they did the holiday parties.

A sold out event is a sold out event. The crowd should still be at a level with little wait times. In my book, anything more than 20 minutes, and honestly, I think they ought to be virtual walk ons, is not acceptable to me.
I agree, except if you read reviews most people report no lines, and some report longer lines. I honestly can'r remember specifics, such as examples of a night where some people say no lines and others report terrible lines, but I seem to recall at least a few examples of these. Which is why I mentioned some people just being in the "wrong place at the wrong time" pretty much all night - explaining their terrible event reviews while others report it being great. There's also differences in perception - some people's no lines are others too long lines for this event, and they could both be talking about an actual (timed) 5 min wait. I am going to say there should never be 20 min waits during this event, at least after the regular guests are out of the lines on the big rides.

Having said that, i am concerned that they are slowly creeping up the amount of tickets that they are selling, so a sold out night last year would not equal a sold out night this year, and that could continue on until they mess it up like they have other events (looking at Halloween and Christmas parties for sure). I also wonder if the number of tickets sold is a static number, or if it could change based on variables we aren't aware of? In other words, if one sold out night is not the same as another sold out night, or one sold out night could actually have sold less tickets than another non sold out night? That would explain the differences in lines and reviews night to night.

I have no idea, I'm just hoping this stays the amazing event it's been the 3 times we've gone!

My friend and I have tickets for next Monday. Shows are HEA is at 8 p.m. and OUAT is at 8:45 p.m. - both of which we want to see as these are our only Disney tickets for this trip (we are staying at Universal). Any thoughts on what is the best use of our very limited FP time? There were no FPs available for the Mine Train, Big Thunder or Peter Pan. Splash is still under refurb and neither one of us do Space. Right now I have Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion. I also want to see Philaharmagic (I love this show) and I was thinking that swapping one of my FPs for that might be a good idea.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for all the reviews, sounds like it’s too much of a gamble for all the extra money it would cost our family to do this.

My friend and I have tickets for next Monday. Shows are HEA is at 8 p.m. and OUAT is at 8:45 p.m. - both of which we want to see as these are our only Disney tickets for this trip (we are staying at Universal). Any thoughts on what is the best use of our very limited FP time? There were no FPs available for the Mine Train, Big Thunder or Peter Pan. Splash is still under refurb and neither one of us do Space. Right now I have Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion. I also want to see Philaharmagic (I love this show) and I was thinking that swapping one of my FPs for that might be a good idea.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Do FPs for rides that are longer, since they take so much time during DAH. DAH is better for quick rides, like BTMRR, SM (except for the long queues in those, ugh), SDMT, Barnstormer, etc. JC is a good one, so is HM, in fact those were 2 of ours. Our third was POTC. If you want to see Philharmagic, that is longer and I doubt you need a FP, but it would be good to see before DHA starts if you can fit it in. IASW is longer also.

I agree, except if you read reviews most people report no lines, and some report longer lines. I honestly can'r remember specifics, such as examples of a night where some people say no lines and others report terrible lines, but I seem to recall at least a few examples of these. Which is why I mentioned some people just being in the "wrong place at the wrong time" pretty much all night - explaining their terrible event reviews while others report it being great. There's also differences in perception - some people's no lines are others too long lines for this event, and they could both be talking about an actual (timed) 5 min wait. I am going to say there should never be 20 min waits during this event, at least after the regular guests are out of the lines on the big rides.

Having said that, i am concerned that they are slowly creeping up the amount of tickets that they are selling, so a sold out night last year would not equal a sold out night this year, and that could continue on until they mess it up like they have other events (looking at Halloween and Christmas parties for sure). I also wonder if the number of tickets sold is a static number, or if it could change based on variables we aren't aware of? In other words, if one sold out night is not the same as another sold out night, or one sold out night could actually have sold less tickets than another non sold out night? That would explain the differences in lines and reviews night to night.

I have no idea, I'm just hoping this stays the amazing event it's been the 3 times we've gone!

I’m one of those ones who mentioned the long lines last night. I’m an AP holder and this is my 4th trip since May 2019. It’s also my 4th AH event and I’ve done the Halloween party too!

There were definitely areas that were “walk-on” and a ghost town. Mostly around Adventureland and some of Frontierland. We got on Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World without waits. For BTMR, we were backed up to the top of the ramp with one side running. Wasn’t too bad but wasn’t walk on as I’ve had in the past. Peter Pan was too long for my liking although it might have only been 10 min or so. SDMT was posted as 45 min but the cast member out front said 10 min only. We had to go through the standby line which I haven’t had to do in previous AH. I usually get right into the main room.

My sister did Tiki Room and Buzz without any waits.It was Space Mountain where the main issue of long lines occurred for me. Also, the food and drink lines were much longer than in the past and the hub at 12:15 am was still pretty crowded!

This was a bonus trip for me as I was just here two weeks ago and I’m staying offsite while my family is staying onsite. I knew President’s Day week is super crowded so I planned this as my only MK day. So I was a bit disappointed that we didn’t get more done. I will be going to Guest Services to let them know because I do have a concern about that they may start increasing ticket sales and I suffered through that at last October’s Halloween Party!

This is not to minimize anyone’s experience or to excuse anything, so please don’t read it as such. Somewhere many pages back I and some others speculated the string of “really good” DAHs was bound to hit a “snag” eventually. It is the nature of these things, be it DAH, MNSSHP, etc. Reviews ebb and flow over time. Experiences ebb and flow. While many have consistently enjoyed DAH, not all reports are candy canes and lollipops either (I’m thinking specifically summer 2018).

We’re heading into a very busy winter and spring break season - and there are more DAH events than ever before (some during very busy weeks, which at time Disney has avoided scheduling these kinds of things). The Wednesday DAK DAH sold out yesterday (haven’t had a sell out there in a long time).

The late Feb and March DAHs of the past have always had a “it wasn’t as empty as what I had read about but it was still ok” vibe to them. Some of the March reviews have not always been so kind.

Always good to hear experiences and set expectations accordingly, or opt not to buy tickets if it “feels” like something that doesn’t work for how you like to spend your leisure dollars.

Was there last nights as well, it was Presidents’ Day so the crowds during the day before the party were huge. We were in the park by 6:40, not sure when they started letting people in, but that was super quick and nice. Able to do Robinson tree house, Tiki, Pirates, Counrey Bear, Carousel if Progress and People mover three times with fireworks before the party began.

Once the party started did Big Thunder with 10 minute wait, some ice cream - another ten minutes there. Jungle cruise was walk on and had a boat with just one other family which was awesome! Haunted mansion was walk on with few people. Skipped Peter Pan has that showed 30 minutes and Dwarves same thing. Space was down so we walked on Buzz and then back to Space with 10 minute wait which was back up running.
Dwarves was still showing 45 minutes so we got some more food and drinks and relaxed and then decided to leave early around 11 as we were exhausted getting off the cruise earlier in the day.
It was awesome, and we could have done the last two things we wanted to - Peter and Dwarves by midnight but were too exhausted. Well worth it for us. The lines did seem a bit longer than the first time we went, but not by much. The food had 5-10 minutes waits this time which was different but that was all I noticed compared to the first time when they had separate popcorn and ice cream areas (they did take away the chocolate covered banana I loved the first time).

We were there last night and although we had a great time, it was definitely more crowded than I expected. It was our arrival day and our plane was delayed We could not get there until 8 and still needed to grab a quick dinner. From 8-11:30 we: watched HEA, ate at Cosmic Rays, Pirates, BTM, HM, Buzz, People Mover, Mickey’s Philharmagic, Peter Pan, SDMT. We saved Fantasyland until last, around 10:45. Longest wait was mine train at about 10 min, but the posted time said 45 min. Honestly we could have done more, but were tired and ready to go. At 11:30 the rest of Fantasyland was a walk on. Although it was busier than I thought, I was happy with what we were able to do. For us, it was still worth the cost.

You are giving me hope our plan for May 11th will work. Plan on arriving at gate around 6:30 PM (we are driving from Wyndham BC) and hope they are letting people in a little early. DAH hours 9-12M. Sorry I don't know all the abbreviations for the rides.

Start at Adventure Land with FP+ and do: POTC, JC, Splash, BTMR
Back Track and eat at Crystal Palace (not sure if we have enough time for this dinner or should just do QS instead)
Then head to Fantasyland and do: Teacups, Dumbo, VoFM, WtP, PP, IASM, SDMT, then HM last and out.

DS24 is severe autism. The DAS just does not work for us very well. DS doesn't sleep well and is a night owl so rope drop is out. This is my new try at conquering MK. We have been skipping Tomorrowland for several years. Need to get it done in 1 day.

This is not to minimize anyone’s experience or to excuse anything, so please don’t read it as such. Somewhere many pages back I and some others speculated the string of “really good” DAHs was bound to hit a “snag” eventually. It is the nature of these things, be it DAH, MNSSHP, etc. Reviews ebb and flow over time. Experiences ebb and flow. While many have consistently enjoyed DAH, not all reports are candy canes and lollipops either (I’m thinking specifically summer 2018).

We’re heading into a very busy winter and spring break season - and there are more DAH events than ever before (some during very busy weeks, which at time Disney has avoided scheduling these kinds of things). The Wednesday DAK DAH sold out yesterday (haven’t had a sell out there in a long time).

The late Feb and March DAHs of the past have always had a “it wasn’t as empty as what I had read about but it was still ok” vibe to them. Some of the March reviews have not always been so kind.

Always good to hear experiences and set expectations accordingly, or opt not to buy tickets if it “feels” like something that doesn’t work for how you like to spend your leisure dollars.
I do seem to remember a stretch about this time last year (I think it was) with more "bad" reviews, and talk that it was being oversold or would start to be, too many people, etc. Then it died down around May, IIRC. Hope it will be the same this year, particularly with more nights. I'm kind of hoping they add more regular DAH for June, although i might do VAH again if that's all they offer. I haven't been following that anymore to know it it's still more crowded this year or not.

You are giving me hope our plan for May 11th will work. Plan on arriving at gate around 6:30 PM (we are driving from Wyndham BC) and hope they are letting people in a little early. DAH hours 9-12M. Sorry I don't know all the abbreviations for the rides.

Start at Adventure Land with FP+ and do: POTC, JC, Splash, BTMR
Back Track and eat at Crystal Palace (not sure if we have enough time for this dinner or should just do QS instead)
Then head to Fantasyland and do: Teacups, Dumbo, VoFM, WtP, PP, IASM, SDMT, then HM last and out.

DS24 is severe autism. The DAS just does not work for us very well. DS doesn't sleep well and is a night owl so rope drop is out. This is my new try at conquering MK. We have been skipping Tomorrowland for several years. Need to get it done in 1 day.
If your son is a night owl, then this sounds like it's the perfect type of ticket for you! Seems like a really great plan and I hope all goes well for you guys!

I'm curious about the ice cream, popcorn, and drinks during DAH. Are there certain locations for these during DAH, such as are they just carts or kiosks, or do they use any counter service locations as a stand? Are there any on Main Street or just in the lands? I was thinking one or two stands in each land, due to what I read here about lines, is that about right?

I'm curious about the ice cream, popcorn, and drinks during DAH. Are there certain locations for these during DAH, such as are they just carts or kiosks, or do they use any counter service locations as a stand? Are there any on Main Street or just in the lands? I was thinking one or two stands in each land, due to what I read here about lines, is that about right?
They are the little carts, for the most part. I don't know how many there are, at least one in each land and I can think of 2 in tomorrowland off of the top of my head. I've never had any problem finding one, but we usually don't really plan the ice cream stop, we stop when we see a stand with a short line.

I will also say we love the idea of free ice cream and pop, but if you want to ride a lot (like we do) we don't want to stop and eat the ice cream, so it's not really the enjoyable experience it is when you take a break and eat it during the day or at your resort. Same with the diet coke. I love DC, but I don't like it all warm and shaken up, and unless we don't want to ride much I take a few drinks and then cap it and it gets warm and flat. I guess what I'm getting at is the "free" stuff is great and all, but doesn't end up being as big of a perk to us as it sounds at first. We usually get ice cream twice, once we stop and eat it and once on the run, popcorn once, and drinks when we get the snacks. I'm also picky in that I really only like extremely cold drinks, so when they leave them out they lose the appeal to me and I take a few sips and waste more.

They are the little carts, for the most part. I don't know how many there are, at least one in each land and I can think of 2 in tomorrowland off of the top of my head. I've never had any problem finding one, but we usually don't really plan the ice cream stop, we stop when we see a stand with a short line.

I will also say we love the idea of free ice cream and pop, but if you want to ride a lot (like we do) we don't want to stop and eat the ice cream, so it's not really the enjoyable experience it is when you take a break and eat it during the day or at your resort. Same with the diet coke. I love DC, but I don't like it all warm and shaken up, and unless we don't want to ride much I take a few drinks and then cap it and it gets warm and flat. I guess what I'm getting at is the "free" stuff is great and all, but doesn't end up being as big of a perk to us as it sounds at first. We usually get ice cream twice, once we stop and eat it and once on the run, popcorn once, and drinks when we get the snacks. I'm also picky in that I really only like extremely cold drinks, so when they leave them out they lose the appeal to me and I take a few sips and waste more.

Very good point about the logistics of eating the treats. When I was explaining the event to my kids, they were way more fixated on the treats than I expected, to the point that now I'm trying to figure out how we can fit them in. Definitely going to try them on the way out of one land to enjoy as we walk across the park.

And I really wish they had Coke Zero, Diet Coke doesn't do it for me anymore. 😄

Very good point about the logistics of eating the treats. When I was explaining the event to my kids, they were way more fixated on the treats than I expected, to the point that now I'm trying to figure out how we can fit them in. Definitely going to try them on the way out of one land to enjoy as we walk across the park.

You are SOOO not alone there!

So funny, my kids joke that I'm addicted to Diet Coke but I don't like Coke Zero. One of my kids used to call it "Mama baa" when he was little. I say I don't smoke, don't do drugs, and don't drink much alcohol so leave me alone about my diet coke, and quit showing me the articles about how bad it is for you - I could be doing something worse LOL!

I wish they had Sprite Zero! I don't like Coke, but don't want to drink all of the sugar in regular Sprite!

I wish they had Sprite Zero! I don't like Coke, but don't want to drink all of the sugar in regular Sprite!
I do like Sprite Zero, and apparently a lot of the bad things with Diet Coke don’t apply to Sprite Zero according to some research, so I’m with you on that one!

Thanks, that's about how many I thought, and sounds like they are in fact carts/kiosks. I'm probably odd in that I don't like Mickey bars or ice cream bars, so that's for the kids. My kids, knowing it's free, think this is cool and think the free drinks are cool also. I would like the popcorn so I thought well, free popcorn sure (though that's a problem for me to eat, but I still like it!) but the logistics of enjoying that and trying to get rides in does now make me think how do we rather do this night or what rides we really hope to do, and if there is much pause time. Maybe when about to be on the way out for the night for me. Good that drinks are available free, though typically I'd do water but saves me bringing one in I guess.

Now, I'll wonder just how busy transportation is after DAH bussing to Poly or GF, and less likely to choose ferry to TTC but leave that as an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!