Disney and Alligator

Johndubbya

Mouseketeer
My friend who is developmentally disabled and is going to Disney with me in February wants to try Gator. Is there anywhere on Disney property that sells it. Or is there a place that will deliver it to CBO.

Now you'd think the Grand Floridian would have some grilled gator tail on the menu.... but it doesn't.

Yeah not many exotic meats on Disney property. There are a large number of off-property restaurants that feature it, but not Disney. Search Trip Advisor or Yelp to find a list :)

I've never seen it at an on-property menu either, not even back when unusual meats were more common (I'm still pouting over the loss of the ostrich dish at Jiko). And unfortunately, I can't recommend anywhere in the WDW area to try it either. There are a couple of places where we love the gator tail, but they're places we stop at when we drive down and are both an hour or more from Disney property.

Its a shame they don't serve it anywhere! I love it and my kids tried it over the summer and they did too!

A quick google search shows one on International Drive which is not too far Disney Springs. Maybe a taxi ride could be memorable too :)

My friend who is developmentally disabled and is going to Disney with me in February wants to try Gator. Is there anywhere on Disney property that sells it. Or is there a place that will deliver it to CBO.

I don’t understand the question

Last edited:

Comparatively, what does gator taste like? Gator tail sounds like it would be tough. Is it a tender meat? I've never seen it on a wdw menu either.

Gator meat is a bit like chicken (white meat) only with a slightly more chewy texture in my experience. I enjoy it. Don’t know where to get it in Florida, but I grew up in Louisiana where it’s pretty easy to find.

Last edited:
When did Coral Reef stop serving gator? I remember seeing it on the menu during my first WDW trip in the 90s, but have not dined there since. However, I just always assumed they kept serving it since The Land had gator tanks. If I recall, the gator tanks were there until the Grand Floridian incident last year. Was that when they took it off the menu? If not, what’s why did The Land have a mini gator farm? It seems like the entire state has downplayed gators since that incident; I don’t see as many gator products in the airport anymore.

I agree that if the OP really wants to try gator, a quick trip to Gatorland would be the answer. It’s a really underrated attraction run by some really nice people.

Gator like many other animals has white meat and dark meat. The majority of places that sell gator sell tail meat, and it is white. It is typically marinated for a long time, then breaded and deep fried. Unfortunately I know of no where on property that sells it. However, it looks a lot and tastes a lot like chicken, but a lot chewier. To me I if it looks like and tastes like chicken, then give me chicken.

Gator does not look or taste like chicken. The only close comparison would be turtle.

I don’t think gator tastes like chicken either. I’ve only had deep fried gator nuggets and didn’t care for it. I found it to be too bland and chewy. Could be the recipe the restaurants used, but I’ve tried it three times.

Comparatively, what does gator taste like? Gator tail sounds like it would be tough. Is it a tender meat? I've never seen it on a wdw menu either.

Tastes like chicken!!!! :)

Come to south LA for your gator different ways - nothing special to it! It's not tough! Like a lot of wild meats - need to know how to prepare it.

Gator meat is a bit like chicken (white meat) only with a slightly more chewy texture in my experience. I enjoy it. Don’t know where to get it in Florida, but I grew up in Louisiana where it’s pretty easy to find.

Yeah...I'd think if they had it anywhere it would be at one or both of the Port Orleans resorts. I don't think of it as a Florida thing - more like a swampy Louisiana thing.

If you make your way to I Drive, Cafe TuTU Tango has "gator bites" on the menu. We just had them last week! They were quite tasty, albeit a bit chewy. The dipping sauce was very delicious as well. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter