Disney Cruise Line cancels sailings into December 2020

nmackovski

Earning My Ears
Disney’s Very Merrytime cruises, not so merry for December 2020.

DCL's cruise search only shows 17 available cruises when there are 27 scheduled for December 2020.

Another day, and another boatload of sailings canceled by Disney Cruise Line. After recently canceling sailings through November, Disney has extended its sailing cancellations through the first half of December 2020.

source: Inside the Magic (can't post with link inserted?)

Stay safe.

Nothing has been cancelled officially. Those sailings were removed from the site, but no official announcement has been made.

You’d do well to find a better information source as this is not the first time I’ve seen Inside the Magic post rumors as fact. Scott Sanders at the DCL Blog is an example of one who is better. He vets his information before publishing.

I think they're stretching... at least for now.

Nothing has been canceled. Yet. They've only removed some sailings from the website. So, if you were thinking of booking it last week, this week you're out of luck. They did this with November sailings and again, so far nothing has officially been canceled.

Removing the December cruises from the website makes me a bit less optimistic about my November sailing (and I was already feeling a bit pessimistic about it).

Inside the Magic is known for this sort of thing. I no longer click on their articles. While it seems pretty likely the sailings will be cancelled, nothing from DCL yet!

I just checked and December and November are still highlighted for purchasing.

All of November is gone and beginning of December.

We’ve all been through this before. They remove them from the website first then cancel 2-4 weeks later. All of these will be cancelled. If they were doing capacity controls they likely would have blocked the 30% of rooms out a while ago and some may show as sold out and others still for sale. Given it was a mass removal just like the other cancellations the result here is going to be the same.

They remove them from the website first then cancel 2-4 weeks later.

The November sailings were removed on 8/5, so that being the case they're overdue to be canceled. I suppose they could be waiting (hoping) for some good excuse, like another CILA announcement, or something from the CDC... just so they aren't the ones to blame for a round of cancellations. Their cancellations seem to be more reactive than proactive.

The November sailings were removed on 8/5, so that being the case they're overdue to be canceled. I suppose they could be waiting (hoping) for some good excuse, like another CILA announcement, or something from the CDC... just so they aren't the ones to blame for a round of cancellations. Their cancellations seem to be more reactive than proactive.
Or a new fiscal year. Disney’s fiscal year is Oct-Sept, so if they cancel now they need to book the losses on their 10K for the 2020 fiscal year which has already been hit so hard, but if they cancel a month from now it goes on the books for 2021, meaning the losses can be booked agains the gains for next year when they restart sailings.

Or a new fiscal year. Disney’s fiscal year is Oct-Sept, so if they cancel now they need to book the losses on their 10K for the 2020 fiscal year which has already been hit so hard, but if they cancel a month from now it goes on the books for 2021, meaning the losses can be booked agains the gains for next year when they restart sailings.
I think we have a winner here.

In the meantime, let's string the customers along and inconvenience them even more so we can massage the numbers.

MomOfTwins over here spitting the straight facts!!! Business wise, makes perfect sense. Thanks for this because I'm always clueless.

I'm probably not the norm but DCL made more money when they canceled our cruise. We rolled it, paid more for 3 additional cruises and added 2 additional cruisers. Also made sure we were PIF on those so that if they do another round of cancellations we would get FFC instead of refund. Probably not the norm but in our case it worked to their advantage. The current FFC policy is prolly bringing in a lot of extra dollars because people will PIF well before their PIF date so they can ensure they qualify for the FFC.

I'm probably not the norm but DCL made more money when they canceled our cruise. We rolled it, paid more for 3 additional cruises and added 2 additional cruisers. Also made sure we were PIF on those so that if they do another round of cancellations we would get FFC instead of refund. Probably not the norm but in our case it worked to their advantage. The current FFC policy is prolly bringing in a lot of extra dollars because people will PIF well before their PIF date so they can ensure they qualify for the FFC.

Well, you're not the only one. When our November cruise looked like it was going to be cancelled (it was) we PIF to get the FCC and have booked 3 cruises for 2021, two upgraded to concierge because we feel we need double the vacation relaxation after this year. So yeah, DCL made a lot more off of us than they originally would have. But of course we know our bookings aren't carrying the company, LOL.

There are no losses to book here. You don't record revenues until you provide the service. Until then, it's just a deposit.

Well, you're not the only one. When our November cruise looked like it was going to be cancelled (it was) we PIF to get the FCC and have booked 3 cruises for 2021, two upgraded to concierge because we feel we need double the vacation relaxation after this year. So yeah, DCL made a lot more off of us than they originally would have. But of course we know our bookings aren't carrying the company, LOL.
We are also in the camp of spending more—we were going to be on a short dream cruise this year but switched to fantasy for 2021 to make up for it. But such a big percentage of DCL cruisers are first timers or international travelers, and I expect both groups are not rebooking for 2021 yet given the uncertainty around safety and travel restrictions, respectively.

There are no losses to book here. You don't record revenues until you provide the service. Until then, it's just a deposit.
It Is a reduction on cash though if they have to refund all those cruises, no? Especially since november cruises are now mostly after in PIF, not just deposit. And cash/liquidity is a big deal now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter