disney cruises to california???

Magical Mom

Earning My Ears
I had heard recently that Disney may start cruising from Florida to California? Has anyone else heard any information regarding this? Please let me know. Thanks!

A persistant, but as yet unrealized, rumor. I'd be thrilled if they started any service on this coast, but rumor says that even though they're looking into something to tie into the Disneyland resort, so far they haven't even started building a third ship, which would be a fairly necessary componant.

Sarangel

There was a rumor for a while that Disney was going to try a West Coast cruise out of Long Beach, doing the California costal cruise thing. One of the potential ports of call was San Francisco. I suppose they could also do the traditional Mexican port thing, Catalina, etc. I haven't heard anything about this for quite some time.

Gary

Let's look back at Magical Mom's post at the top of this thread:
I had heard recently that Disney may start cruising from Florida to California? Has anyone else heard any information regarding this? Please let me know. Thanks!
There's no suggestion of a third ship. The key phrase is "Florida to California." That would mean Panama Canal cruises, which are very popular at other cruise lines. (I seem to recall reading that the Disney ships, although huge, will still fit through the Panama Canal unlike the even larger ships such as the RCCL Voyager of the Sea.) Typically Panama Canal cruises serve the purpose of seasonal repositioning. For example, a cruise line might use the same ship in Alaska in the summer and in the Caribbean in the winter.

Now let's consider a potential scenario for Disney Cruise Line (DCL):
  • One ship operates all year out of Port Canaveral.
  • The other ship spends six months (centered on Spring) operating out of Port Canaveral and six months (centered on Fall) operating out of Los Angeles Harbor or Long Beach.
  • Because Fall season capacity out of Port Canaveral is cut in half, DCL doesn't need to offer such deep discounts to fill staterooms during the Fall, so DCL's Fall yield improves.
  • Southern California has wonderful weather during the Fall (much better than in Spring or early Summer) -- it should be a great time to cruise.
  • DCL can offer land/sea packages in conjunction with the Disneyland Resort, and DCL can offer some 7-day cruises with a "Mexican Riviera" itinerary similar to that of the Carnival Elation.
  • DCL is then in a position to offer far more varied choices to the returning DCL cruise passenger -- especially the twice-a-year Panama Canal cruise.
  • DCL determines whether there is sufficient demand out of California to justify building a third ship.
Now, all this is pure speculation on my part -- triggered entirely by Magical Mom's post. Any comments or other opinions?

The problem with all this (and my requsite for a 3rd ship) is that Disney is doing pretty well with the s/4 day + the 7 day split. In order to diversify, they'd need 1) a 3rd ship, and 2) someplace on the west coast to dock.

Just my thoughts. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if Disney would cruise on my coast, I just don't think it'll happen any time soon.

Sarangel

But, Werner seems to be indicating that DCL's Fall numbers are low, because they deep discount the rates. that means they may be doing well, but not as well as they could. Personally, I think A cruise with 3 days in WDW, Cruise through Panama, 3 Days DL ANaheim would be the coolest thing ever.

A trip to Tokyo would require a Thrid boat though.

Over on the DIS Disney Cruise Line board, there are a couple of threads going about an expected announcement from Disney Cruise Line this evening:
The word is that beginning May 11, 2002, the Disney Magic will start offering a Western Caribbean itinerary. The plan involves Eastern Caribbean and Western Caribbean cruises on alternate weeks, with both spending a day at Castaway Cay. Sounds great!

But no Panama Canal or California or third ship -- yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter