Disney half marathon 2016 hotel

KingofJapan

Registered
Plan on running the 2016 half marathon in January. Want to stay at a hotel where the monorail passes through. Will be traveling with my daughter who will be 14 month old at the time of the race. Do any of the hotels on the monorail line allow you to step right outside without walking much and see the race instead of going to one of the parks or the destinated viewing areas. I plan on heading to the start line by myself in the morning, have my wife and daughter see me outside the hotel where we are staying and then meet me at the finish line.

I would look at the course when they post it online and then book from there you can probably get a good idea of the course from previous years. Just google search disney world half marathon course map and take a look I think they stay relatively the same. Plus as long as you are on the monorail she can just hop the monorail to the hotel that is closest.

Hope that helps a little

I think the Polynesian fits what you're looking for,the monorail will get you to the start at Epcot and there's a good amount of viewing space to see the runners without going too far from the hotel.You just exit the lobby and take the path to the right and follow the signs to the viewing area,3-4 minute walk from the lobby.Its also a good place to see the runners since you're really close to them in what's called cone alley.

Plan on running the 2016 half marathon in January. Want to stay at a hotel where the monorail passes through. Will be traveling with my daughter who will be 14 month old at the time of the race. Do any of the hotels on the monorail line allow you to step right outside without walking much and see the race instead of going to one of the parks or the destinated viewing areas. I plan on heading to the start line by myself in the morning, have my wife and daughter see me outside the hotel where we are staying and then meet me at the finish line.

The Contemporary is an option. You can walk out of the main entrance and see the runners. I think that would be around mile 5 if I remember correctly.

Posting my response from the resort boards, in case it's helpful to other runners!

We just ran the 5K, half marathon and marathon last month and stayed at Poly. We love Poly in the first place, but the primary reason we selected it for marathon weekend was how amazingly easy it was for spectating the races. I ran the 5K and full marathon and spectated the half. My husband and teens ran the half and spectated the full.

The morning of the half marathon, I did the following:

1) Walked to the TTC (less than 10 min walk) to see our runners;
2) Walked back to our room to deposit the extra clothing they gave us and grab some breakfast to go from the Poly club lounge;
3) Walked to the front entrance of Poly (less than 10 min walk) to see our runners again - signage was great and CMs directed the way;
4) Walked back to TTC and took monorail to Epcot;
5) Saw our runners at the end of the monorail ramp, as they entered Epcot;
6) Walked over to the finish line and saw our runners right before they crossed.

That's four different spots and I was leading my parents and our 8-year-old along the way. It would have been much easier with a tiny one in a stroller, at least in my opinion (our 8-year-old does not walk quickly and he's too big to carry!)

The morning of the marathon, my family did the same at Poly - walked over to TTC to see me, then front of Poly, then they hopped on a bus to WWOS and then met me at the finish.

I should add that we've also stayed at GF and CR and enjoy both of those resorts. For half marathon viewing, CR guests can see their runners once from the front of CR, board the resort the monorail to TTC, then transfer to the Epcot monorail to the finish. GF guests can see their runners once from the front of GF, take the resort monorail to TTC, then transfer to the Epcot monorail to the finish. The advantage of Poly is TWO viewing spots within walking distance (Poly entrance and TTC), and then the direct monorail from TTC to the finish.

I think the Polynesian fits what you're looking for,the monorail will get you to the start at Epcot and there's a good amount of viewing space to see the runners without going too far from the hotel.You just exit the lobby and take the path to the right and follow the signs to the viewing area,3-4 minute walk from the lobby.Its also a good place to see the runners since you're really close to them in what's called cone alley.

Good point about "cone alley!" Was easy for me to run up and hug my family quick when I saw them on the course!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter