Disney Has the Best Chicken Nuggets Ever! - Update Dump - Finally Completed!

I'm glad you enjoyed the AKL lobby- it really is beautiful when you walk in!

Well that's frustrating that you weren't able to participate in the bonus FPs! Glad the room situation was sorted though.

Ohhh is that bus foreshadowing I am seeing...not good.

Your dinner at CM's sounds like it was full of ups and downs! I'm sorry the service was crappy AND that Pluto was such a fail. The pics you did get are really cute, DS has the biggest smile on his face!

A projectile vomiter...great way to end the night! And thank goodness DS was around to recreate the moment for everyone!

It was a long day for you all, so I can understand being grumpy after such a lackluster end to it all.

Hi Andy!! I'm joining in on the fun! I've read quite a few of your reports and I'm sure this one will be just as good if not better!!

The bad news… I’m planning this frickin trip and organizing FP’s and nobody in my room got one.

OH, hold me back!!! All that planning and you got nada?! Nope! Pissed off Sil didn't deserve them! YOU did!

Because buffet.

Yes!:cloud9:

Trying to be diplomatic here… I don’t have a problem with someone coming from another country to work here. But if you’re in a customer service role, speaking English, to me, seems like a pretty basic requirement. We ran into a couple of different servers of a couple of different nationalities over the course of this trip that didn’t speak English as a first language and were hard to communicate with. That isn't something I've ever experienced at Disney World and this trip, I saw it more than once. It definitely caught my attention.

I totally agree with this. If a person is going to work in an industry where communication is a key factor then learn to communicate!!

Aside from the communication issues, our server wasn’t very attentive about getting drink refills. After the walk, I was hot and thirsty. I had him bring me a water and a Coke and I quickly drank both. I waited a long time before he ever came back so I could get a refill.

GIVE ME MY COKE!!!!!:drinking1

But the highlight of dinner… I got to see a kid projectile vomit.

It was disgusting and impressive. Almost like a firehose.

And it was at the table that stole Pluto.

Payback.

I literally choked on my own Coke on that one. Perfect! Karma/Payback is alive and well. There!:cool1:

Apparently about half an hour less than it takes our crappy server to bring out and then settle our checks.

SLAM!!!! popcorn::

Reading along! My husband would love to drive all night but I won't let him:). We usually stop in Valdosta or Lake City. Do you drive the whole time? Or share the duties?

I'm following along :) We don't have kids yet so I'm always interested to read TRs with multiple children to see how that all works at WDW :P

the LG wasn’t very happy in his car seat and didn’t sleep through the night

To this day Elora can't be in the car seat more then 3 hours without fussing, and she's almost three.

breakfast at Cracker Barrel.

My fave! That's a Disney tradition I'll miss now that we likely won't drive there anymore.

I ended up just going and parking and loading the stroller up with the things they didn’t take.

Gotta love a stroller for hauling crap. Bell services are good for the big stuff, but when you travel there are like 100 things left all over the car. Glad you got the haul inside pretty quickly.

I walked into the lobby and stopped for a bit just to take in the view.

Incredible right? That resort is gorgeous.

sky behind that large window was dark and overcast

:love:

all 3 rooms right next to each other with standard view rooms overlooking one of the savannas

Score!

They told her that they can’t see in the computer what rooms housekeeping had ready so they couldn’t give her a room and didn’t know when they’d be able to get her into her room. She was pissed

For Pete sake! I'd be pissed too! They've gotta get those glitches fixed. Somehow I fear this is not the last of these troubles...

The good news, since Mom went to the desk with her and Sis1 didn’t physically harm anyone, they gave everyone in Mom’s room and Sis1’s room 2 anytime FP’s for the following day at MK.

At least they hooked you guys up a little!

The bad news… I’m planning this frickin trip and organizing FP’s and nobody in my room got one.

Oops.:sad2:

Wow, I hope the buses aren’t this bad all week. :rolleyes1

Lol! That's the biggest complaint I've heard out of AKL...

Yes. 28 minutes.

Come on! That's like a 15 minute drive, max!

Not that big of a deal, but kind of frustrating to take an extra couple of minutes when you ultimately don’t even want to enter the secured area to begin with.

I've heard mixed things about the new security areas. Is it placed oddly or we're y'all lost?

it isn’t worth the price you pay for i

They never are, not hose kinds of meals. Like CRT, you pay for princesses and the castle cause the food is ok, at best.

I ended up stuffing myself.

Good to know it was yummy! We might be eating here, still not sure, wait on SIL...:confused3

But if you’re in a customer service role, speaking English, to me, seems like a pretty basic requirement.

I think that's a fair request! It is still the major language here. Plus, when ordering for kids, in a noises place, that language barrier can cause some extra trouble.

Aside from the communication issues, our server wasn’t very attentive about getting drink refills. After the walk, I was hot and thirsty. I had him bring me a water and a Coke and I quickly drank both. I waited a long time before he ever came back so I could get a refill. He also wasn’t good about removing empty plates. We were stacking them in the middle of the table. But then at one point he walked up and took a plate from Sis2 while she literally had the fork in her hand eating from the plate.

Oh no way. I have stopped a random server to take plates from my table at a buffet. You're basically there to bring drinks and clear the table at a buffet. Come on dude, get it together.

in the 2 hours we were there, he never came back. Even when the other characters came by a second time.

Pluto! Wonder what was happening there, doesn't seem normal.

You're terrible. :rotfl2:

DS and I were the only ones who saw it happen.

There's a father son moment for the books.:rotfl:BTW he's huge! And the photo of you holding Little Dude while he's observing Minnie is adorable.

Had I not seen what happened when it happened, I’d probably never even know.

The training in that stuff used to be an extra two classes, when I was a CM for a season.

Apparently about half an hour less than it takes our crappy server to bring out and then settle our checks.

:eek: I know y'all were s big group but I wish you'd complained, that's unacceptable! What if you'd had a fast pass to get to? Heck, even if you didn't! That's awful.

This was by far the worst service we had the whole trip.

At least there's that, but this sounds pretty awful?

A bus pulled up just after the fireworks ended, but before the masses could make it from Main Street to the bus stops. We got to sit down on a bus that was about half full for our ride back to AKL

Nice timing! :thumbsup2

Following along! I love reading your reports, and now that we've done 2 with 3 kids, I like learning new tips!

UGH- Chef Mickey's sounded like a disaster. I would have died if I witnessed what you did- like marched up to the front and told them about the horrible service! Hope the week got better!

Just got back on DISboards in about two weeks, excited to see you've started your TR.

We had a fun trip, but it did have its challenges. There were no disasters by any means, but DD had some serious behavior issues throughout the trip which were really draining on us. All in all, I left Disney World satisfied, but not in a hurry to come back. It was definitely a much different feeling than I’ve had on other trips when I feel like I’m being dragged kicking and screaming off of Main Street on our last day. I don’t even think I turned around to take one last look at the castle this time.
I am sorry the trip was not as great as it could have been. I totally feel where you are coming from, I've been there too. Just give about six months and it won't seem so bad and you'll be ready to go back just in time for little guy's terrible twos :thumbsup2

I walked into the lobby and stopped for a bit just to take in the view. It was my first time seeing the inside of AKL and I had to just take a moment to absorb it. The lobby certainly is beautiful! I don’t have any pictures because I’m sure you’ve seen them. And I had my hands full and therefore didn’t get any. But a rain storm had just moved through so the sky behind that large window was dark and overcast and it actually made it look even more impressive, I thought.
I loved the lobby so much, probably my favorite one at WDW.

Yes. 28 minutes.

What?! That's crazy, sorry you had bad bus service.

The kids all loved the characters. DS and DD had autograph books for the first time so they got to get signatures. LG was very interested in the characters. He just stared at them. He wouldn’t give them high fives or anything, but he also didn’t cry, so that’s something! The characters were all great with the kids, but we were disappointed in Pluto. He came over to sign DD’s book and get a picture with her then someone from another table walked up to him and he went to their table and didn’t spend any time with anyone else at our table. Just DD. We got one quick picture and that was it. The character handler stopped by our table 3 or 4 times before we finished our meal and asked if we’d seen everybody. Every time we said we needed to see Pluto, but in the 2 hours we were there, he never came back. Even when the other characters came by a second time.
That's insane, sounds like not a great experience at Chef Mickey's overall. When you're paying that much you should get much better service.

Payback.
I know I should laugh at this, but I did... a lot.

A bus pulled up just after the fireworks ended, but before the masses could make it from Main Street to the bus stops. We got to sit down on a bus that was about half full for our ride back to AKL.
Nice, a little bus magic here at least.

then we followed that up with some heavy rain in Louisville and an accident south of there. Based on the GPS arrival time, we lost about 2 hours before we ever got out of Kentucky.

That's us Louisvillians for ya.....we love to either give you weather or bridge construction for your trip! Darn those KY drivers, they have no idea how to drive in the rain.

(KnK Living large in Louisville KY :flower:)

I’m normally a cheapskate, but we had so much crap to haul in that I decided to tip bell services and request their help.

Well, AKL has to be one the worst resorts to try and lug everything in yourself. The parking lot is half a mile away from the lobby, and then no telling how much farther until your room. I don't blame you one bit for using bellhop.

It worked out really well, and we actually ended up having all 3 rooms right next to each other with standard view rooms overlooking one of the savannas.

Nice! Glad to hear you all got good rooms for your first stay at AKL.

The good news, since Mom went to the desk with her and Sis1 didn’t physically harm anyone, they gave everyone in Mom’s room and Sis1’s room 2 anytime FP’s for the following day at MK.

Well, I'm happy to hear they tried to make up for their computer glitch. That had to be frustrating for your sis, but yeah, I can see how that made your planning strategy a little more complicated with only half your party getting the FPs.

Yes. 28 minutes.

One of the worst parts of AKL, the bus ride to and from the MK is sooo long!

The kids all loved the characters. DS and DD had autograph books for the first time so they got to get signatures. LG was very interested in the characters. He just stared at them. He wouldn’t give them high fives or anything, but he also didn’t cry, so that’s something!

Not screaming is a win in my book! It's great that he seemed interested in the characters and didn't freak out to the point where you had to try and keep him away from them while the two oldest kids got their time.

Oh jeez.

As someone who's kid's done that, I can agree that Disney cleans that mess up fast. Cast Members swarm from nowhere and poof! all gone.

Sorry to hear the service at Chef Mickey's was not good. Sometimes, you got to wonder if the servers see that automatic 18% and phone your table in. It's a shame if that's what happened in your case. However, I'm relieved to hear the food was decent! For what you have to spend on those dinners, choosing to go back for seconds is a win in my book.

Joining in! Glad you're doing a trip report for your summer trip. I hope you talk about your beach time too. If I remember right, you were staying at the Holiday Inn at Panama City Beach. If so, I'm interested in hearing how that was because I would like to stay there too.

I am joining in....looking forward to reading your report. I went in 2013 to take advantage of free kids under 3 and we are returning for a wedding in December. They will be 6, 5 and 2 (almost 3). All boys. My 5 yo sounds like yours....not looking forward to the tantrums!!! I'm sure I will not be returning until 2021 after this trip

Excited to read about the rest of your experience. Thanks for posting the real time travel between MK and AK.

Welcome to my latest trip report!

If you’ve joined me before, welcome back! I’m glad to have you. If you’re new, I’m glad you could join us!

This trip was a rather large, elaborate extended family vacation including my family of 5, my parents, my 2 sisters and my brother in law and niece. If you're not counting, that's 11 people total with 9 tickets and connected FP+ to keep track of. I’m going to focus on talking mostly about what my family of 5 did, but we did spend a lot of our time together as a group so there will be plenty of mentions of the others throughout.

I have to give an early disclaimer on this TR. It will likely be wordy with pictures few and far between. I’m not gonna lie. This trip had its challenges. Pictures weren’t a priority and therefore didn’t happen. Most of what I do have were stolen, I mean borrowed, from Sis2’s facebook page. But thankfully we had Memory Maker to help us with characters and rides.

We had kids to corral and I was the main trip planner for a group of 11 people. While I love MDE, I spent so much time looking at my phone changing FP times or adding a FP that it left me with some very strong love/hate feelings towards the app. Like right here... ignore the cute kid and look in the background... I'm pretty sure I was doing something with FastPasses.

36584516886_de926d22b5_z.jpg

I felt like I was constantly checking and updating things on the app or explaining where we had to be and when. I just didn’t have very many of those opportunities to get a picture, or just enjoy the moment.

We had a fun trip, but it did have its challenges. There were no disasters by any means, but DD had some serious behavior issues throughout the trip which were really draining on us. All in all, I left Disney World satisfied, but not in a hurry to come back. It was definitely a much different feeling than I’ve had on other trips when I feel like I’m being dragged kicking and screaming off of Main Street on our last day. I don’t even think I turned around to take one last look at the castle this time.

But… that’s why I’m writing this TR. To talk about the highs and the lows. And there were plenty of both! Maybe you can learn something that will help you along the way!

Introductions:

36234435320_d3e25c772a_k.jpg

I’m Andy. I’m 35 and will be taking you along on this trip. I’m the master trip planner of the group, but my mom is the Disney addict that started us all down this path.

Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom

Favorite Ride: Rock ‘n Rollercoaster

Favorite Character: Goofy

Least favorite park: Still Animal Kingdom… sorry. See below.

DW, my lovely wife and mother of our kids. She went to Disney World twice before we were married and she wasn’t a big Disney fan. Now, having accompanied me to Disney World 6 times and Disneyland once since we were married, she has really come to love being immersed in everything the Disney parks have to offer.

Favorite Ride: Soarin

Favorite Character: Piglet

Least Favorite Park: She hates Animal Kingdom as I was told several times. Literally every time we walked from one land to the next.

DS, is our oldest. He’s 7 years old and now in second grade. This was his fourth trip to Disney World and he was tall enough to do everything this time!

Favorite park: Magic Kingdom

Favorite Ride: Flight of Passage

Favorite Character: Pretty much any Star Wars character

DD, our middle child is 5 years old and apparently going through her terrible 2s. This was her fourth trip to Disney World as well. Honestly, she’s been a joy on all of our past trips. But this time… man, what a challenge.

Favorite Ride: Space Mountain

Favorite Character: Moana… which is awesome because guess who’s not in the park and has no merchandise for sale at Disney World???? Try explaining to a 5 year old who has a temper with a hair trigger why you can’t meet her favorite Disney character.

The baby, little guy, little dude, LG: I’ll probably use an assortment of nicknames for him, but this is our newest addition. He’s 13 months old at the time of the trip and his first year of life has been filled with challenges. He spent his first 3 months of life in the hospital and had to return a few months later for another surgery. Right now things are going ok… he’s having some issues with learning to drink from cups and bottles and gaining weight, but he’s doing well now and developmentally he’s right where he should be. Anyway, this was his first trip. He handled the crowds, stimulation and July heat pretty well to be quite honest. He did have points where he hit his limit and was just done, but overall it wasn’t too bad traveling with him.

Favorite Ride: It’s a Small Mexico

Favorite Character: Based on interaction we’ll say probably Elsa and Anna.

As for the rest of our group, I won’t get into detailed introductions, but we were joined by my Mom and Dad, my sisters (twins). Sis1 is married to BiL and they joined us with my Niece. Sis2 is single and she came with my parents and stayed in their room. We all drove down to Disney World together in a convoy of sorts, but Sis1 and BiL left Disney World a day before Mom & Dad. Then Mom & Dad left a day before my family left Disney World.

Last summer we had planned a nice vacation including some beach time. Our kids had been begging to go back to the beach, but with little dude coming and spending all summer in the hospital, that just couldn’t happen. Since we didn’t get to do anything fun with the older kids last summer, we decided we wanted to do something big this year. Mom had been discussing a big family trip to Disney World for a few years so we hammered out those details and made it happen. Then DW and I decided to tag on a few days at the end to go to the beach. When it was all said and done, we were away from home for just over 12 days.

We chose to use the Quick Service Dining Plan for this trip with a few Table Service meals paid out of pocket. It actually worked out well, because at the end of the week, we had 4 meals (as in 1 for each of us) left after dinner on our last night so we went to Roaring Forks and bought milk, fruit and pastries for our breakfast the next morning. We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge on this trip, but DW and I added on a night at the end at Wilderness Lodge because we needed one more night somewhere before we could check in at the beach. We planned our last day at MK and our favorite resort had always been WL, so this just made sense to us.

Well, that’s the set up and I’ll be back with the first real update sometime!

Once again, thanks for joining me and I look forward to sharing this experience with everyone!

Great start to your report! It is especially interesting to me as I was "the planner" on our 13-person extended family trip last September. I hear ya on being on MDE all the time to re-arrange things. And it is SO HARD to get a group that size moving. UGH. I would say where we needed to go and which way to go, then start walking with a good chunk of our group. 30 seconds later turn around and the other half of our group is not even in sight. Come on people, get it together! LOL.

That is a big reason why DH an I are going just the 2 of us this November. Can't wait! We will be able to move so much faster and easier.

Isn't it just when Disney's computer issues get your trip started off all wrong? (Not)
I'm glad everything got resolved eventually (although it would have been nice if the master planner got rewarded for his patience in dealing with these people ... but I kinda understand why Disney wouldn't think to give you the FP if you weren't there. They just don't understand that sometimes the planning can be more chaos than anything that happens once you hit property).

I really hope you complained about the server at Chef Mickey (if you haven't done it yet, it's not too late - you can send them an email). Unless you're trying to drag it out, a buffet should not take 2 hours. That's ridiculous. And that Pluto situation is pretty bad too. But at least the kids look like they're enjoying it - that's what's most important.
The projectile vomiting, though ... some things you just can't plan for. That's funny.

I'm glad you enjoyed the AKL lobby- it really is beautiful when you walk in!
It definitely is!

Well that's frustrating that you weren't able to participate in the bonus FPs! Glad the room situation was sorted though.
I was a little bit bitter about it, but honestly, I didn't expect to get anything since it wasn't my reservation that was affected.

Ohhh is that bus foreshadowing I am seeing...not good.
It wasn't...

Your dinner at CM's sounds like it was full of ups and downs! I'm sorry the service was crappy AND that Pluto was such a fail. The pics you did get are really cute, DS has the biggest smile on his face!
The kids definitely loved it. Like I said, we'll be back. It wasn't just a tragic experience by any stretch, but the service was horrendous.

A projectile vomiter...great way to end the night! And thank goodness DS was around to recreate the moment for everyone!
Gotta have the comic relief!

It was a long day for you all, so I can understand being grumpy after such a lackluster end to it all.
We didn't have anywhere we had to be so that helped, but we did want to get to bed early.

Hi Andy!! I'm joining in on the fun! I've read quite a few of your reports and I'm sure this one will be just as good if not better!!
I hope I don't disappoint.

H, hold me back!!! All that planning and you got nada?! Nope! Pissed off Sil didn't deserve them! YOU did!
Eh... I had a room was unpacked and enjoying the pool by this time. I might have been a little bit bitter about it, but it wasn't my reservation that was affected, so I get it.

If I'm going to spend that much money, I'm going to eat as much as I can! And that's exactly why I ate like 2 chicken nuggets and a few fries for lunch.

I totally agree with this. If a person is going to work in an industry where communication is a key factor then learn to communicate!!
::yes::

GIVE ME MY COKE!!!!!:drinking1
I just wanted anything wet and cold.

I literally choked on my own Coke on that one. Perfect! Karma/Payback is alive and well. There!:cool1:

Sadly, it is the truth.

Reading along! My husband would love to drive all night but I won't let him:). We usually stop in Valdosta or Lake City. Do you drive the whole time? Or share the duties?
We've done Lake City before we had kids. We just feel like with the kids it is easier to make the drive if we go at night and they can sleep during their normal hours while we complete the majority of the drive. I usually just drive the whole way. I can get some rest before the drive and stay awake and alert the whole time, but if we'd switch off and I took a nap at like 1 am or something, I'd just be tired the rest of the way... So I just stay up and try to let DW sleep.

I'm following along :) We don't have kids yet so I'm always interested to read TRs with multiple children to see how that all works at WDW :P
Thanks for joining! I'll try to check out your TR sometime when I get some time... I read the first little bit of it. I love that you're traveling and experiencing as much as you can at such a young age! Those trips with 2 are much easier and less expensive!!!

To this day Elora can't be in the car seat more then 3 hours without fussing, and she's almost three.
I can't blame them... they want to be up and running around. It is a long drive and he really handled it pretty well, all things considered.

My fave! That's a Disney tradition I'll miss now that we likely won't drive there anymore.
Always enjoy their breakfasts! It made sense to do a late breakfast there, fill up and not have to stop again to eat lunch before we got there.

Gotta love a stroller for hauling crap. Bell services are good for the big stuff, but when you travel there are like 100 things left all over the car. Glad you got the haul inside pretty quickly.
::yes:: Strollers are a life saver.

Incredible right? That resort is gorgeous.

I was happy with it!

For Pete sake! I'd be pissed too! They've gotta get those glitches fixed. Somehow I fear this is not the last of these troubles...
Of course not. :sad2:

At least they hooked you guys up a little!

What can I expect?

Lol! That's the biggest complaint I've heard out of AKL...
::yes:: It is certainly my biggest complaint about AKL. And it is a big one.

Come on! That's like a 15 minute drive, max!
Typically around 20 by bus, as I'd come to find. But this driver found a way to milk it!

I've heard mixed things about the new security areas. Is it placed oddly or we're y'all lost?
Honestly, it isn't a bad place, but you have to go through it to exit the bus area. So we had to cross security to get to that common area outside of all the transportation exits where you would then turn right for the path to Contemporary... if that makes any sense.

They never are, not hose kinds of meals. Like CRT, you pay for princesses and the castle cause the food is ok, at best.

Good to know it was yummy! We might be eating here, still not sure, wait on SIL...:confused3
I've heard mixed reviews of the food there, but we've honestly had good luck with it. It is among the best buffets I've tried at Disney World.

I think that's a fair request! It is still the major language here. Plus, when ordering for kids, in a noises place, that language barrier can cause some extra trouble.
I think that was the biggest factor. It was noisy so it was hard to hear and combine that with having trouble understanding...

I forget what it was, but he said something that I had him repeat 2 or 3 times and I still didn't know what he said so I just kind of shrugged and nodded my head and then asked DW what he said. She couldn't figure it out either.

Looking back, I probably told him I wasn't thirsty.

Oh no way. I have stopped a random server to take plates from my table at a buffet. You're basically there to bring drinks and clear the table at a buffet. Come on dude, get it together.
We had a big table with plenty of space in the middle. So not a big deal really, but come on!

Pluto! Wonder what was happening there, doesn't seem normal.
No... I really don't understand it. Especially as many times as the character handlers stopped by to tell us he'd be by.

You're terrible. :rotfl2:
No... they stole Pluto.

There's a father son moment for the books.:rotfl:BTW he's huge! And the photo of you holding Little Dude while he's observing Minnie is adorable.
They do grow fast.

The training in that stuff used to be an extra two classes, when I was a CM for a season.
I can only imagine.

:eek: I know y'all were s big group but I wish you'd complained, that's unacceptable! What if you'd had a fast pass to get to? Heck, even if you didn't! That's awful.
I know... we really had no plans that evening than to get to bed early. I probably should have complained, but at the same time, it didn't make us late for anything, I was tired so any complaining probably would have got me a little too fired up and not been good, and I was on vacation. I didn't want to focus on that. I just wanted to get out and move on.

At least there's that, but this sounds pretty awful?
The service part definitely was.

Nice timing! :thumbsup2
::yes:: I guess I should thank that server. :rolleyes1

I would be very disappointed in that kind of service also, but at least you got some really cute pictures!!
::yes:: We did enjoy the characters!

Following along! I love reading your reports, and now that we've done 2 with 3 kids, I like learning new tips!
Thanks! There's always something new to learn from other TRs.

UGH- Chef Mickey's sounded like a disaster. I would have died if I witnessed what you did- like marched up to the front and told them about the horrible service! Hope the week got better!
I know... looking back maybe I should have complained. But I was frustrated enough. If I'd have complained, I'd probably just get more upset and there's really no point getting all negative when I just need to enjoy vacation. And besides, I was tired. If I focused too much on the negatives at that point in time, tired me would have gotten fired up and it wouldn't have been good.

Just got back on DISboards in about two weeks, excited to see you've started your TR.
Welcome back!

I am sorry the trip was not as great as it could have been. I totally feel where you are coming from, I've been there too. Just give about six months and it won't seem so bad and you'll be ready to go back just in time for little guy's terrible twos :thumbsup2
::yes:: I really don't feel like the lows were quite as bad as some of the lows you had on your rough trip, but remembering your TR did help put things in perspective.

I loved the lobby so much, probably my favorite one at WDW.
I still think I'm kind of partial to WL, but both are spectacular in their own ways!

What?! That's crazy, sorry you had bad bus service.
It was pretty awful.

That's insane, sounds like not a great experience at Chef Mickey's overall. When you're paying that much you should get much better service.

I know I should laugh at this, but I did... a lot.
I kind of had a "did I really just see that" moment. And I had to chuckle too.

Nice, a little bus magic here at least.

That's us Louisvillians for ya.....we love to either give you weather or bridge construction for your trip! Darn those KY drivers, they have no idea how to drive in the rain.

(KnK Living large in Louisville KY :flower:)
Honestly, the drivers weren't bad. The water pooling in the third lane of 65 was the scary part.

At least the bridge work was finally over for this trip!

Well, AKL has to be one the worst resorts to try and lug everything in yourself. The parking lot is half a mile away from the lobby, and then no telling how much farther until your room. I don't blame you one bit for using bellhop.
That's very true!

Nice! Glad to hear you all got good rooms for your first stay at AKL.
I was very happy with them. We were only half way down the Kudu trail wing so we could have walked a lot farther. And we were right there close to the elevator and ice. We didn't notice noise being a problem so the location was fantastic in my opinion.

Well, I'm happy to hear they tried to make up for their computer glitch. That had to be frustrating for your sis, but yeah, I can see how that made your planning strategy a little more complicated with only half your party getting the FPs.
Yeah... thankfully we had enough kids that we could play the rider swap game to maximize it.

One of the worst parts of AKL, the bus ride to and from the MK is sooo long!

Not screaming is a win in my book! It's great that he seemed interested in the characters and didn't freak out to the point where you had to try and keep him away from them while the two oldest kids got their time.
Yeah, we really didn't know what to expect, so we were happy by the reaction... or lack thereof.

Oh jeez.

As someone who's kid's done that, I can agree that Disney cleans that mess up fast. Cast Members swarm from nowhere and poof! all gone.
I'm definitely glad it wasn't our table! But I know that kind of thing has to happen there somewhat frequently. Just the combination of heat, breaking routine and eating all kinds of food that they might not eat at home everyday... just a perfect storm for kids to get a little bit of an upset stomach.

Sorry to hear the service at Chef Mickey's was not good. Sometimes, you got to wonder if the servers see that automatic 18% and phone your table in. It's a shame if that's what happened in your case. However, I'm relieved to hear the food was decent! For what you have to spend on those dinners, choosing to go back for seconds is a win in my book.
I feel like that's exactly what this was. But yes, the food and characters were good so it wasn't a total waste. I can deal with poor service easier than I can deal with bad food.

Joining in! Glad you're doing a trip report for your summer trip. I hope you talk about your beach time too. If I remember right, you were staying at the Holiday Inn at Panama City Beach. If so, I'm interested in hearing how that was because I would like to stay there too.
I will... that is where we stayed. I'll touch on it in more detail when I get there, but I do have some observations I'll share based on this trip. We first stayed there almost 10 years ago. In that time, they've put a lot of money into their pool area. It is absolutely beautiful and very nice. However, nothing has been done to the rooms. And this trip it was starting to feel like the rooms could use a little bit of attention.

I am joining in....looking forward to reading your report. I went in 2013 to take advantage of free kids under 3 and we are returning for a wedding in December. They will be 6, 5 and 2 (almost 3). All boys. My 5 yo sounds like yours....not looking forward to the tantrums!!! I'm sure I will not be returning until 2021 after this trip

Excited to read about the rest of your experience. Thanks for posting the real time travel between MK and AK.
She's pretty much 5 but thinks she's 15. And acts like she's 2. It's fun. :headache:

Real time, you could get from MK to Jambo in just under 25 minutes, including the stop at Kidani. Going to MK that evening, it was 28 minutes going directly from Jambo to MK with no stops... so it was probably a good 5 minutes longer than normal. I'd count on 20-25 minutes for that bus ride though.

Great start to your report! It is especially interesting to me as I was "the planner" on our 13-person extended family trip last September. I hear ya on being on MDE all the time to re-arrange things. And it is SO HARD to get a group that size moving. UGH. I would say where we needed to go and which way to go, then start walking with a good chunk of our group. 30 seconds later turn around and the other half of our group is not even in sight. Come on people, get it together! LOL.
YES!!! That! The struggle is real! I almost considered using "Where's Mom" for the TR title, because I swear we kept asking that question when we were getting ready to go somewhere.

That is a big reason why DH an I are going just the 2 of us this November. Can't wait! We will be able to move so much faster and easier.
::yes:: That will be a nice break!

Isn't it just when Disney's computer issues get your trip started off all wrong? (Not)
I'm glad everything got resolved eventually (although it would have been nice if the master planner got rewarded for his patience in dealing with these people ... but I kinda understand why Disney wouldn't think to give you the FP if you weren't there. They just don't understand that sometimes the planning can be more chaos than anything that happens once you hit property).
Yeah, I didn't really expect to get anything anyway, and I think it was nice that they did something for Sis and Mom for dealing with it. My reservation wasn't affected and I was enjoying the pool while they dealt with that drama, so it's fair.

I really hope you complained about the server at Chef Mickey (if you haven't done it yet, it's not too late - you can send them an email). Unless you're trying to drag it out, a buffet should not take 2 hours. That's ridiculous. And that Pluto situation is pretty bad too. But at least the kids look like they're enjoying it - that's what's most important.
I don't even have the receipt anymore and I don't remember the guy's name. Honestly, the food was good and we weren't in a hurry to get anywhere, so it isn't a huge deal. If it doesn't make me late for something, I can tolerate bad service better than I can tolerate bad food. It wouldn't have done me any good to get upset and complain when I was tired anyway. I'd have just got fired up and it wouldn't have been good. :rotfl2:

The projectile vomiting, though ... some things you just can't plan for. That's funny.

It wasn’t the greatest start.

Well, I suppose it could have been worse....at least you were on your way and in another state!

I got a text that our room was ready at about 10:30 am. Nobody else had received a text for their room yet.

Bummer...one thing I love about DVC is we can all be in the same room, but not all 8n the same room.

I’m normally a cheapskate, but we had so much crap to haul in that I decided to tip bell services and request their help.

We just build that into the cost of our trips, otherwise I would demand longer trips and mandatory massages.

DW forgot to stop by the bell services desk to give them our ticket so they could bring our stuff, so I had to return to the lobby to do that,

We usually just call from the room and give them the # over the phone.

That bites.

On top of having a long wait, our bus driver was slow. Really slow. 28 minutes after we boarded the bus at AKL, we were finally getting off at MK.

Yes. 28 minutes.

That sounds about right to me. I figure 30 minutes from AKL to MK. 20 minutes from an Epcot resort and 25 minutes from SSR.

Oh yeah… we made a quick diversion through MK security and the metal detectors, before we had to turn right, walk a few feet and leave the secured area.

This bites because I bet we'll have to do that to get on the monorail to go to the GF for our straberry soup fix. Security is sloe for us since they have to wand Fran with all her bionic parts.

Not that big of a deal, but kind of frustrating to take an extra couple of minutes when you ultimately don’t want to enter the secured area to begin with.

Yeah, although I think they screen passengers before boarding the monorail, right? Or is it only at the parks? DL changed us their security too so that DTD is now part of the security area.

I ended up stuffing myself.

Because buffet.

Well yeah. Most of us do!

Aside from the communication issues, our server wasn’t very attentive about getting drink refills. After the walk, I was hot and thirsty. I had him bring me a water and a Coke and I quickly drank both. I waited a long time before he ever came back so I could get a refill.

This is one thing that really irks me. Fran has been known to get up and refill my drink herself (well not wine, but soft drinks) if she can see the drink stations.

The kids all loved the characters.

Well that's good!

Payback.

Yikes. That's already TMI!

I was trying to be careful not to draw attention of those with weaker gag reflexes to it, but then DS started pantomiming what he saw so explanations were needed.

That would be me. I would have to leave the table.

Disney did handle that well. That table basically disappeared. Like literally I look away and look back and the table was gone.

They are good like that. And it is never spoken of again.

You want to know how long it takes for Disney to clean up puke, set a clean table and seat another party at that table?

That is sad.

Overall, it was a bit of a lackluster experience. As I said the food was good. Aside from Pluto’s disappearing act, the characters were fantastic. But when you drop over $150 to feed a family of 4 and have to put up with subpar service, it certainly takes the shine off the rest of the experience. This was by far the worst service we had the whole trip.

I completely understand your sentiment, and I'm sorry you had to endure such poor service.

But then again, I'd been up 26 straight hours at this point and had only had a 2 hour nap in the previous 38 hours. So it didn't take much.

Yeah I can see that.

A bus pulled up just after the fireworks ended, but before the masses could make it from Main Street to the bus stops. We got to sit down on a bus that was about half full for our ride back to AKL.

Nice at least you had a calm ending to your evening.

This trip was a rather large, elaborate extended family vacation including my family of 5, my parents, my 2 sisters and my brother in law and niece. If you're not counting, that's 11 people total with 9 tickets and connected FP+ to keep track of.

:faint:

I have to give an early disclaimer on this TR. It will likely be wordy with pictures few and far between.

No problem. I'll just have more to skip over.

:rolleyes1

I’m not gonna lie. This trip had its challenges. Pictures weren’t a priority and therefore didn’t happen.

Uh, oh...

While I love MDE, I spent so much time looking at my phone changing FP times or adding a FP that it left me with some very strong love/hate feelings towards the app.

Definitely a down side there.

Like right here... ignore the cute kid and look in the background... I'm pretty sure I was doing something with FastPasses.

Kinda hard to ignore such a great picture of... uh... well, you didn't use his real name in the intros, so I'll say LG too.

or explaining where we had to be and when.

No explaining. Just tell 'em to move.

I just didn’t have very many of those opportunities to get a picture, or just enjoy the moment.

Aw, man. I'm sorry to hear that.

but DD had some serious behavior issues throughout the trip which were really draining on us.

:hug:

Been there.

I don’t even think I turned around to take one last look at the castle this time.

Now that's just sad. :(

Least Favorite Park: She hates Animal Kingdom as I was told several times. Literally every time we walked from one land to the next.

Ouch. Too hot?
Nevermind. I'm sure I'll find out.

Hurry up!

I'm getting there!

Hey Andy! Didn't know you'd started this already. I'm here. Hopefully that doesn't illicit a groan. :tongue: I normally tip way better than 18%, but you're right...if the service is horrible, you should have the right to tip less as it's SUPPOSED to be a tip for good service not an automatic.

I think I mentioned our horrible experience with buses at AKL, so I'm hoping you only had this the first day and not what we had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter