Disney Has the Best Chicken Nuggets Ever! - Update Dump - Finally Completed!

I just wanted to get the travel day and Chef Mickey out of the way so we could move on to the good stuff.

Makes sense.

Take your time, it will be a late next week at the very soonest before I'll even be close to thinking about posting another update.

You just told me to hurry up!!!

35816243584_dbf7e9f0f3_b.jpg

Did he actually plot out where you were on the map???? Impressed if he did.

Within a few miles of getting on the interstate, we hit a construction zone, then we followed that up with some heavy rain in Louisville and an accident south of there. Based on the GPS arrival time, we lost about 2 hours before we ever got out of Kentucky. It wasn’t the greatest start.

Ugh. Just.... no.

Thankfully the rest of the trip was better.

phew!

before stopping for breakfast at Cracker Barrel.

How is that? I've only been once and it was take-out lunch.

I got a text that our room was ready at about 10:30 am.

Holy crap! Early!

I’m normally a cheapskate, but we had so much crap to haul in that I decided to tip bell services and request their help.

Sometimes it's just worth it.

They loaded a cart up and walked away with our stuff while I was still getting the last few things out.

By accident or by design?

I walked into the lobby and stopped for a bit just to take in the view.

::yes:: Because...

The lobby certainly is beautiful!

... of that. It really is, isn't it?

When I made it to our room, I was glad to see that we got a room in the area of Kudu trail that we had requested using the Touringplans room request fax service.

Nice! Love that service.

we actually ended up having all 3 rooms right next to each other with standard view rooms overlooking one of the savannas.

That's great!

Uh... hopefully you still felt that way by the end of the trip.

I told you I was bad about getting pictures on this trip.

Yup. But you had your hands full figuratively and literally.

I took the older 2 kids to go to the pool after stopping at the Mara to get our mugs and some lunch.

No Zebra Domes??!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?

You were right there!!!

It was past check in time at this point, and Sis1 had gone to the front desk because she never got a text. They told her that they can’t see in the computer what rooms housekeeping had ready so they couldn’t give her a room and didn’t know when they’d be able to get her into her room. She was pissed.

Uh, oh.... <backs away slowly>

I suggested walking down the hall and tapping her band on doors until one opens and then see if it is clean.

:laughing: :rolleyes1

The good news, since Mom went to the desk with her and Sis1 didn’t physically harm anyone, they gave everyone in Mom’s room and Sis1’s room 2 anytime FP’s for the following day at MK.

Nice!

The bad news… I’m planning this frickin trip and organizing FP’s and nobody in my room got one.

oh

20 minutes later one finally shows up.

Wow, I hope the buses aren’t this bad all week. :rolleyes1

Foreshadowing?

On top of having a long wait, our bus driver was slow. Really slow. 28 minutes after we boarded the bus at AKL, we were finally getting off at MK.

Yes. 28 minutes.

Actually, I checked and the average time is 22 minutes. So really... not too much more.

Love that shot.

And that's all the time I have right now! Back later for the rest.

:eek: I know y'all were s big group but I wish you'd complained, that's unacceptable! What if you'd had a fast pass to get to? Heck, even if you didn't! That's awful.
That's the part of the automatic tip that really, really irks me. If the person knows they're going to get an 18% "tip" anyway, there's absolutely no incentive for good service. Oh yeah, that and I, as the customer should decide the tip not Disney (or any other restaurant that does this)

That's the part of the automatic tip that really, really irks me. If the person knows they're going to get an 18% "tip" anyway, there's absolutely no incentive for good service. Oh yeah, that and I, as the customer should decide the tip not Disney (or any other restaurant that does this)

I served tables and bartended for 10 years, and some folks see that 18% as a reason to not serve well. It's a shame, really cause I'm quick to ask for a manager, but I'm also quick to tip more, where it's appropriate.

::yes:: It is certainly my biggest complaint about AKL. And it is a big one.
::yes:: Mine as well.

Looking back, I probably told him I wasn't thirsty.
Mystery solved

We had a big table with plenty of space in the middle. So not a big deal really, but come on!
Obviously, not only did you tell him you weren't thirsty, but you told him you didn't want him to pick up the empty plates, but rather the mid-bite plates instead. :lmao:

No... they stole Pluto.
To quote jar jar binks...."how wude" ;)

I still think I'm kind of partial to WL, but both are spectacular in their own ways!
Agreed. Both lobbies are very well done and decorated, but I like WL better for location/transportation/recreation options.

I don't even have the receipt anymore and I don't remember the guy's name. Honestly, the food was good and we weren't in a hurry to get anywhere, so it isn't a huge deal. If it doesn't make me late for something, I can tolerate bad service better than I can tolerate bad food. It wouldn't have done me any good to get upset and complain when I was tired anyway. I'd have just got fired up and it wouldn't have been good. :rotfl2:

::yes::

You're a better man than I am. I would've complained, not just for my sake, but in the hopes the poor behavior/service would be remedied and save others from that fate in the future. I'm the opposite when it comes to a server. I realize they have no control over whether my food is good or prepared right (especially in a buffet), but if your only job is to take away plates and bring drinks, then you should be able to do that well.
What I don't agree with (and won't do) is leaving a bad tip because the food was bad.
Even if the food wasn't great, if the service was, a very good tip is in their future. Exceptional service not only gets a great tip, but I also find the manager and tell them how outstanding i the service was. Managers are VERY happy to get that because most of the times, it's only the bad stuff they hear.

Well, I suppose it could have been worse....at least you were on your way and in another state!
True. The highway could have been completely closed rather than down to one lane for miles!

Bummer...one thing I love about DVC is we can all be in the same room, but not all 8n the same room.
Good point. And I'd considered renting DVC points on trips like this, but at the same time, I'm an introvert. I can function as an extrovert for work purposes and I have a high profile role that includes a lot of networking and public speaking for a non profit I'm involved with, but I need solitary recharge time. Even though it is extended family that we're traveling with I kind of like the fact that we have our own space where it is just our family and we don't have to see or interact with anyone else for a few hours every day. I know, I'm weird.

We just build that into the cost of our trips, otherwise I would demand longer trips and mandatory massages.
But at least you have Fran and her scooter to load things up!

We usually just call from the room and give them the # over the phone.
:headache: I r smrt.

That sounds about right to me. I figure 30 minutes from AKL to MK. 20 minutes from an Epcot resort and 25 minutes from SSR.
It isn't excessively long. But we did time that since it was our first trip just to see how long it was. Actually the rest of the week it was always under 25 minutes. I'd say this was probably 5 minutes longer than average. Not much, but that's 20 -25% longer than it took every other driver. It just felt like he was driving slow and at the end of the week, the data backed it up.

This bites because I bet we'll have to do that to get on the monorail to go to the GF for our straberry soup fix. Security is sloe for us since they have to wand Fran with all her bionic parts.
::yes:: Can't get on the monorail without going through.

Well yeah. Most of us do!
If you're going to charge me like I'm going to eat all of it, then I'm sure going to try to prove you right.

This is one thing that really irks me. Fran has been known to get up and refill my drink herself (well not wine, but soft drinks) if she can see the drink stations.
I might have done that once or twice. I was looking around. If I'd have seen it...

Well that's good!
The main reason we go there anyway...

Yikes. That's already TMI!
I hope you're not eating.

That would be me. I would have to leave the table.
If it had been closer, then yeah.

They are good like that. And it is never spoken of again.

That is sad.
Sad but true.

I completely understand your sentiment, and I'm sorry you had to endure such poor service.
It would have been much worse if we were in a hurry. My patience would have been much shorter too.

Nice at least you had a calm ending to your evening.
::yes:: Honestly, when planning the trip I considered trying to tour a resort or 2 so that we could kill time and catch HEA after dinner. Then I decided we'd want to finish dinner and get back to the rooms for an early bedtime. I guess our hand was forced, but at least it all worked out really well.

No problem. I'll just have more to skip over.

:rolleyes1

Definitely a down side there.
Just a little bit.

Kinda hard to ignore such a great picture of... uh... well, you didn't use his real name in the intros, so I'll say LG too.
Yeah, I try not to use them in the TRs.

No explaining. Just tell 'em to move.
Oh well, yeah, there's that. When it was time to go I often had to just start moving and ask if they planned on coming with me. That usually worked. But there were constant questions. What's next? What time do we have to be there? When do we need to leave/catch the bus/start walking to get there? Where is it? Where is our next meal? Is that cash or dining plan?

Aw, man. I'm sorry to hear that.
Part of it, I guess.

:hug:

Been there.
She can be a real pain. This morning getting ready for school was one of those times.

Now that's just sad. :(

Ouch. Too hot?
Nevermind. I'm sure I'll find out.
That was probably part of it.

I'm getting there!
:thumbsup2

Hey Andy! Didn't know you'd started this already. I'm here. Hopefully that doesn't illicit a groan. :tongue: I normally tip way better than 18%, but you're right...if the service is horrible, you should have the right to tip less as it's SUPPOSED to be a tip for good service not an automatic.
::yes:: I typically start at 20%. More for great, less for poor service.

I think I mentioned our horrible experience with buses at AKL, so I'm hoping you only had this the first day and not what we had.
Oh, the first day wasn't even the worst. :rotfl:

Makes sense.
Sometimes I can do that.

You just told me to hurry up!!!
Unless I'm making contradictory statements.

Did he actually plot out where you were on the map???? Impressed if he did.
No. Mom brought an atlas for the kids to look at and she'd show them where we were every time we stopped.

Ugh. Just.... no.
It sucked... 3 lanes cruising at 70+ mph down to 1 lane at 5 mph for miles...

How is that? I've only been once and it was take-out lunch.
We always enjoy Cracker Barrel. We go there for lunch after church sometimes too... they're around here. I always like their breakfasts though. They give you these platters with plenty of food and have some really good pancakes.

Holy crap! Early!
::yes:: I've really always had good luck, myself, with the online check in. I almost always get my rooms early.

Sometimes it's just worth it.

By accident or by design?
Well, not by design on my part. I took 2 bags out and turned around and I was just standing there holding them watching him walk away. I kind of just stood there dumbfounded for a few seconds before I tossed them back in and went to park.

::yes:: Because...

... of that. It really is, isn't it?

Nice! Love that service.
I do too! Although we didn't get quite what we requested for our second stay on this trip.

That's great!

Uh... hopefully you still felt that way by the end of the trip.
Oh, I thought the room and the location was about as good as I could have ever wanted. No complaints at all!

Yup. But you had your hands full figuratively and literally.

No Zebra Domes??!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?

You were right there!!!
Well, I kind of had my hands full and we were going to swim. I'd get some later. Everybody talks about them, I had to try them!

Uh, oh.... <backs away slowly>
Pretty much.

If it was me... I'd have done it.

Really, they were in their room by probably 4 pm. So not terribly late. 1 hour past check in for a couple of anytime FP... not bad!

That was a letdown, but at least we had our room and were unpacked.

Foreshadowing?
Just a bit.

Actually, I checked and the average time is 22 minutes. So really... not too much more.
True. I think I was expecting 20 so this just felt brutally slow. Over the course of the week the trip to MK seemed to be between 20 and 25 minutes so 22 min average seems exactly right.

Love that shot.

And that's all the time I have right now! Back later for the rest.
Thanks!

::yes:: I understand it to a point though. If you have a large party it does make it harder on a server and I could see where they might be more likely to get stiffed. But I also think if they're going to make you pay a mandatory tip on a large party they should make sure there are 2 servers checking on you to ensure quality service.

Gee, thanks for the heads-up! :sad2:

Back to read later...
I didn't want to bother you on your road trip...

And I just barely started. You're welcome.

I served tables and bartended for 10 years, and some folks see that 18% as a reason to not serve well. It's a shame, really cause I'm quick to ask for a manager, but I'm also quick to tip more, where it's appropriate.

Hi Andy, signing on!
Hi!

Obviously, not only did you tell him you weren't thirsty, but you told him you didn't want him to pick up the empty plates, but rather the mid-bite plates instead. :lmao:
That's the problem!

Agreed. Both lobbies are very well done and decorated, but I like WL better for location/transportation/recreation options.
::yes:: There were a lot of things about those 2... I like Mara more than Roaring Forks, the lobbies are pretty close with the edge going to WL but transportation and location is WL by a mile.

Just wait...it gets better. When she actually is 15, thinks she's 30 and still acts like she's 2.
:tongue:
:headache:

You're a better man than I am. I would've complained, not just for my sake, but in the hopes the poor behavior/service would be remedied and save others from that fate in the future. I'm the opposite when it comes to a server. I realize they have no control over whether my food is good or prepared right (especially in a buffet), but if your only job is to take away plates and bring drinks, then you should be able to do that well.
What I don't agree with (and won't do) is leaving a bad tip because the food was bad.
Even if the food wasn't great, if the service was, a very good tip is in their future. Exceptional service not only gets a great tip, but I also find the manager and tell them how outstanding i the service was. Managers are VERY happy to get that because most of the times, it's only the bad stuff they hear.
Here's the thing. We didn't have to be anywhere. So, yes, it was a pain and frustrating, but we were chatting about our plans and what we were going to be doing on our first park day. It wasn't the end of the world that we were sitting there, although it still was lousy service. I mean the way they were turning tables around us, I figured they'd want to kick us out. We were ready to go and we couldn't even get our server to settle our checks. If it was a case where we had solid plans, I'd have been far less patient about it.

But let's just look at the main point. I hadn't slept much in the prior almost 40 hours. If I had tried to complain, my approach probably would have come off more grumpy and not a very productive conversation.

Oh yeah… we made a quick diversion through MK security and the metal detectors, before we had to turn right, walk a few feet and leave the secured area.

That makes.... zero sense. Just... why?

We ended up making it to Chef Mickey just a couple of minutes after our ADR time.

Not bad!

the food is good… it isn’t worth the price you pay for it, but we all know you’re paying for the experience.

yup

I’m always skeptical of something like ribs on the buffet, but I went back for more a couple of times because they were so good and tender.

Really! I probably would've steered clear of them, just based on the fact it was a buffet. Huh.

I ended up stuffing myself.

Because buffet.

Man law.

Trying to be diplomatic here… I don’t have a problem with someone coming from another country to work here. But if you’re in a customer service role, speaking English, to me, seems like a pretty basic requirement. We ran into a couple of different servers of a couple of different nationalities over the course of this trip that didn’t speak English as a first language and were hard to communicate with. That isn't something I've ever experienced at Disney World and this trip, I saw it more than once. It definitely caught my attention. I mean when we went to Via Napoli to be served by someone from Italy and we were thrilled we could have a conversation with her… well that tells you something.

Hmmm.... I'm all for equality in hiring, but.... yeah... you should be able to do the basics of the job.

But then at one point he walked up and took a plate from Sis2 while she literally had the fork in her hand eating from the plate.

Now that's service!!

I know that large groups can be a pain for a server so I usually don’t mind that mandatory 18% tip… especially when I normally would tip more for good service anyway, but this is a rare case where I didn’t feel like that 18% tip was earned or deserved.

Hmm... I wonder. If you went to a manager before paying and said that, would/could it have been reduced?

The kids all loved the characters. DS and DD had autograph books for the first time so they got to get signatures.

How did they like that?

LG was very interested in the characters. He just stared at them.

Great!

He wouldn’t give them high fives or anything, but he also didn’t cry, so that’s something!

Excactly. So... great!

we were disappointed in Pluto. He came over to sign DD’s book and get a picture with her then someone from another table walked up to him and he went to their table and didn’t spend any time with anyone else at our table. Just DD.

Well... crap.

The character handler stopped by our table 3 or 4 times before we finished our meal and asked if we’d seen everybody. Every time we said we needed to see Pluto, but in the 2 hours we were there, he never came back. Even when the other characters came by a second time.

Then why bother asking? :confused3

"I have no idea where that hand's been."

But the highlight of dinner… I got to see a kid projectile vomit.

It was disgusting and impressive. Almost like a firehose.

And it was at the table that stole Pluto.

Payback.

:lmao:

Disney did handle that well. That table basically disappeared. Like literally I look away and look back and the table was gone. I don’t know where it went or how they moved it out of a crowded restaurant so quickly. They managed to secure and completely block the area from view while they cleaned the floor. Had I not seen what happened when it happened, I’d probably never even know.

Impressive.

You want to know how long it takes for Disney to clean up puke, set a clean table and seat another party at that table?

Apparently about half an hour less than it takes our crappy server to bring out and then settle our checks.

:sad2:

We were in Chef Mickey’s for over 2 hours. Most of which waiting on our server. I was not impressed.

No. I would think not. Had a similar (non-Disney) experience. But I was able to decide on the tip amount. Zero.

This was by far the worst service we had the whole trip.

Well... at least it's gonna get better.

I’m not always this grumpy.

No? Doc? Bashful? Dopey?

Probably Dopey, right?

But then again, I'd been up 26 straight hours at this point and had only had a 2 hour nap in the previous 38 hours.

Ah! Sleepy.

We made it back to MK just before it was time for Happily Ever After. We walked to the bus stop and got in line for the bus just as the fireworks started. It was nice to be able to stand there watching it while we waited for the bus. The timing ended up working perfectly.

Yes. Your server knew that. It's why he delayed. So you could have that experience.

ahem...

Yeah, I try not to use them in the TRs.

Noted.

Oh well, yeah, there's that. When it was time to go I often had to just start moving and ask if they planned on coming with me. That usually worked. But there were constant questions. What's next? What time do we have to be there? When do we need to leave/catch the bus/start walking to get there? Where is it? Where is our next meal? Is that cash or dining plan?

"Here's the schedule. Follow it. See you there."

oy.

She can be a real pain. This morning getting ready for school was one of those times.

I don't blame her. It's still summer!

Sometimes I can do that.

A rarity!

Unless I'm making contradictory statements.

That never happens sometimes.

No. Mom brought an atlas for the kids to look at and she'd show them where we were every time we stopped.

Ah. Still... they're learning to read maps! Excellent idea.

It sucked... 3 lanes cruising at 70+ mph down to 1 lane at 5 mph for miles...

Yuck. Just.... no.

We always enjoy Cracker Barrel. We go there for lunch after church sometimes too... they're around here. I always like their breakfasts though. They give you these platters with plenty of food and have some really good pancakes.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for future road trips.

Well, not by design on my part. I took 2 bags out and turned around and I was just standing there holding them watching him walk away. I kind of just stood there dumbfounded for a few seconds before I tossed them back in and went to park.

I can just see your expression on your face.

Oh, I thought the room and the location was about as good as I could have ever wanted. No complaints at all!

No, I meant... having everyone right there the whole time.

Well, I kind of had my hands full and we were going to swim. I'd get some later. Everybody talks about them, I had to try them!

I should hope so!!!!!!!!!

1 hour past check in for a couple of anytime FP... not bad!

Agreed. I'd take that.

True. I think I was expecting 20 so this just felt brutally slow. Over the course of the week the trip to MK seemed to be between 20 and 25 minutes so 22 min average seems exactly right.

Plus you were running late. It makes it feel even slower.

And page 3 is what I get for getting so far behind. Ah well, better late than never. Sorry, Andy!

I've read, but will again to grab quotes and reply. Might take a few days, but I'll get there! (you shoulda PMd me!!!)

Last edited:
Ok, I think I'm all caught up!

We had kids to corral and I was the main trip planner for a group of 11 people. While I love MDE, I spent so much time looking at my phone changing FP times or adding a FP that it left me with some very strong love/hate feelings towards the app. Like right here... ignore the cute kid and look in the background... I'm pretty sure I was doing something with FastPasses.

I might be in the same boat next summer, so I might need to pick your brain about how to handle all of this!

We had a fun trip, but it did have its challenges. There were no disasters by any means, but DD had some serious behavior issues throughout the trip which were really draining on us. All in all, I left Disney World satisfied, but not in a hurry to come back. It was definitely a much different feeling than I’ve had on other trips when I feel like I’m being dragged kicking and screaming off of Main Street on our last day. I don’t even think I turned around to take one last look at the castle this time.

:scared1:

I'm sorry to hear that. I think one reason why we don't do Disney every year is that we're afraid of the magic/novelty wearing off.

Least Favorite Park: She hates Animal Kingdom as I was told several times. Literally every time we walked from one land to the next.

She should stop being vague and let you know how she feels.

Favorite Character: Moana… which is awesome because guess who’s not in the park and has no merchandise for sale at Disney World???? Try explaining to a 5 year old who has a temper with a hair trigger why you can’t meet her favorite Disney character.

This sounds...ominous.

Anyway, this was his first trip. He handled the crowds, stimulation and July heat pretty well to be quite honest. He did have points where he hit his limit and was just done, but overall it wasn’t too bad traveling with him.

Nice! Time for some long road trips! :thumbsup2

This photo tickles me for some reason.

Our drive quickly hit a snag. Within a few miles of getting on the interstate, we hit a construction zone, then we followed that up with some heavy rain in Louisville and an accident south of there. Based on the GPS arrival time, we lost about 2 hours before we ever got out of Kentucky. It wasn’t the greatest start.

I would venture to guess that all of that, including the rain, was the DOT's fault.

I’m normally a cheapskate, but we had so much crap to haul in that I decided to tip bell services and request their help. They loaded a cart up and walked away with our stuff while I was still getting the last few things out.

Well...ok, then. Are you sure those guys worked for Disney?

I walked into the lobby and stopped for a bit just to take in the view. It was my first time seeing the inside of AKL and I had to just take a moment to absorb it. The lobby certainly is beautiful!

The good news, since Mom went to the desk with her and Sis1 didn’t physically harm anyone, they gave everyone in Mom’s room and Sis1’s room 2 anytime FP’s for the following day at MK.

The bad news… I’m planning this frickin trip and organizing FP’s and nobody in my room got one.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

20 minutes later one finally shows up.

This sounds like ominous foreshadowing, too.

On top of having a long wait, our bus driver was slow. Really slow. 28 minutes after we boarded the bus at AKL, we were finally getting off at MK.

Yes. 28 minutes.

:faint: I could get out and walk faster than that!

Oh yeah… we made a quick diversion through MK security and the metal detectors, before we had to turn right, walk a few feet and leave the secured area.

Not that big of a deal, but kind of frustrating to take an extra couple of minutes when you ultimately don’t even want to enter the secured area to begin with.

That seems really pointless.

I ended up stuffing myself.

Because buffet.

Nice work. Because that's what you do.

I know that large groups can be a pain for a server so I usually don’t mind that mandatory 18% tip… especially when I normally would tip more for good service anyway, but this is a rare case where I didn’t feel like that 18% tip was earned or deserved.

Sorry the service was so crappy. That sounds like a clear issue with the server. I wouldn't have wanted to tip that high, either.

LG was very interested in the characters. He just stared at them. He wouldn’t give them high fives or anything, but he also didn’t cry, so that’s something!

Neutral counts as a win!

Payback.

I saw a sign along the road recently that read,
"Karma is pronounced HA HA HA HA."

Disney did handle that well. That table basically disappeared. Like literally I look away and look back and the table was gone. I don’t know where it went or how they moved it out of a crowded restaurant so quickly. They managed to secure and completely block the area from view while they cleaned the floor. Had I not seen what happened when it happened, I’d probably never even know.

Impressive. :darth:

You want to know how long it takes for Disney to clean up puke, set a clean table and seat another party at that table?

Apparently about half an hour less than it takes our crappy server to bring out and then settle our checks.

:faint::headache: How close were you to calling for management?

This was by far the worst service we had the whole trip.

Well...there was nowhere else to go but up. So you had that going for you, which is nice.

I’m not always this grumpy.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Huh? Oh, sorry. I meant to say, yes, I agree.:thumbsup2

We boarded the monorail so that we could enjoy the ride back around to MK. Niece got to see the castle for the first time as we were riding, so that was an exciting moment!

There you go! Finally, something went right!

We made it back to MK just before it was time for Happily Ever After. We walked to the bus stop and got in line for the bus just as the fireworks started. It was nice to be able to stand there watching it while we waited for the bus. The timing ended up working perfectly.

A bus pulled up just after the fireworks ended, but before the masses could make it from Main Street to the bus stops. We got to sit down on a bus that was about half full for our ride back to AKL.

Awesome. Glad the day could end on a positive note.

He is too cute!

Favorite Character: Moana… which is awesome because guess who’s not in the park and has no merchandise for sale at Disney World???? Try explaining to a 5 year old who has a temper with a hair trigger why you can’t meet her favorite Disney character.
Ugh. I feel your pain! My youngest DD loved Jasmine and there was nothing for her. Nothing to buy. WE were able to meet her, so we had that, but that was it, really. My DD's will make up toys they want and I will say that I don't think they make that, and they will just say that they will ask Santa, then.

I mean when we went to Via Napoli to be served by someone from Italy and we were thrilled we could have a conversation with her… well that tells you something.
Man, that's bad. I feel like I can never understand the waiters in Via Napoli, between the accents and the noise in there.

The character handler stopped by our table 3 or 4 times before we finished our meal and asked if we’d seen everybody. Every time we said we needed to see Pluto, but in the 2 hours we were there, he never came back. Even when the other characters came by a second time.
That is so strange.... Wonder what the deal was with that?

He looks so interested! So cute!

I was trying to be careful not to draw attention of those with weaker gag reflexes to it, but then DS started pantomiming what he saw so explanations were needed.
OMG, my oldest DD would def followed suit if she saw that actually happen!

I HATE when that happens at restaurants. My girls are ALWAYS so ready to leave too. Making it worse waiting.

A bus pulled up just after the fireworks ended, but before the masses could make it from Main Street to the bus stops. We got to sit down on a bus that was about half full for our ride back to AKL.
We were able to watch fireworks waiting for the bus once. My girls still talk about it. It was super memorable for some reason.

Sounds like it was touch and go getting checked in and your first meal. I hope you def had better days.

I felt like I was constantly checking and updating things on the app or explaining where we had to be and when. I just didn’t have very many of those opportunities to get a picture, or just enjoy the moment.
I agree - I like a lot of things about the app, but the drawback is having your phone in your face more than you intend. Especially with a group your size!

There were no disasters by any means, but DD had some serious behavior issues throughout the trip which were really draining on us.
Uh oh :scared:

Ugh, I can absolutely imagine that...I know we've talked about our DD's being similar before and it seems to still be the case. I read "Raising Your Spirited Child" recently and could relate to a lot of it - there's even a whole chapter about tantrums. :eek:

Once again, thanks for joining me and I look forward to sharing this experience with everyone!
Thanks for writing about it! I always enjoy following along.

When I made it to our room, I was glad to see that we got a room in the area of Kudu trail that we had requested using the Touringplans room request fax service. It worked out really well, and we actually ended up having all 3 rooms right next to each other with standard view rooms overlooking one of the savannas.
Yay, glad it worked out so well! :thumbsup2

:scared1: I always think I want to go back to AKL, but on some we-don't-have-park-tickets trip (that never seems to happen) - no worries about buses then.

Payback.
:lmao: :crazy2:

Glad that timing worked out so well! I hope you told the group it was all something you planned for them. ::yes::

Good point. And I'd considered renting DVC points on trips like this, but at the same time, I'm an introvert. I can function as an extrovert for work purposes and I have a high profile role that includes a lot of networking and public speaking for a non profit I'm involved with, but I need solitary recharge time. Even though it is extended family that we're traveling with I kind of like the fact that we have our own space where it is just our family and we don't have to see or interact with anyone else for a few hours every day. I know, I'm weird.
I don't think this is weird at all. And I think we have some traits in common...being a strong introvert that has a skill at appearing to be an extrovert, when needed. But, yeah, that solitary time is so important to recharge - maybe that's why we're both big fans of solo park time. :scratchin And I agree on the travel with extended family thing - on our Hawaii trip with Dug's family, it was nice that we each had our own rooms to return to, even if we spent a lot of the day together. :thumbsup2

That makes.... zero sense. Just... why?
Well, it is just due to where the security checkpoints are now. Since they backed it up to the buses and the boat docks, they've essentially had to make it so that you enter a secure area once you walk out of the completely fenced in area that leads from the buses. So to exit the bus parking area you have to go through security so that you can then turn right, walk a few feet and turn right again to head for the Contemporary. It doesn't make sense, but it kind of does. They'd have to put in some other type of fence or barricade to move people from one area of the other to keep the secured area secure.

Not really. I thought we'd be way later.

Really! I probably would've steered clear of them, just based on the fact it was a buffet. Huh.
Yeah, me too. But it is a buffet so might as well try one of everything, right? And when I tried it... I went back for more.

Hmmm.... I'm all for equality in hiring, but.... yeah... you should be able to do the basics of the job.

Now that's service!!

If it was me, he'd have been stabbed in the hand.

Hmm... I wonder. If you went to a manager before paying and said that, would/could it have been reduced?
Maybe :confused3

How did they like that?
They got excited about them at times and other times they didn't want to mess with them. We had them given to us so it was fine, I certainly wouldn't put time or effort or money into doing it again though unless they express more interest.

Excactly. So... great!

Well... crap.
I don't know what Pluto's deal was.

Then why bother asking? :confused3
I was starting to wonder the same thing.

"I have no idea where that hand's been."
There's so much truth to that statement...

Impressive.
::yes:: They certainly handled that well!

No. I would think not. Had a similar (non-Disney) experience. But I was able to decide on the tip amount. Zero.
I don't think I've ever given a zero, but I've definitely cut it back quite a bit.

Well... at least it's gonna get better.
It has to, right?

No? Doc? Bashful? Dopey?

Probably Dopey, right?
Depends on the day.

Ah! Sleepy.
And that was the one then.

Yes. Your server knew that. It's why he delayed. So you could have that experience.

ahem...
Yeah, that's it.

"Here's the schedule. Follow it. See you there."

oy.
If only it were that easy. Believe me, I tried. They still asked.

I don't blame her. It's still summer!
I know.

That never happens sometimes.
Exactly!

Ah. Still... they're learning to read maps! Excellent idea.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for future road trips.

I can just see your expression on your face.
It certainly caught me off guard. :rotfl2:

No, I meant... having everyone right there the whole time.
Oh... nah, that was good. We were in different rooms and we had help with the kids and getting back to the room at night. I'll never complain about that.

I should hope so!!!!!!!!!

Plus you were running late. It makes it feel even slower.

Oh. :sad2: Sounds like it was like our experience. I think the worst for us was 52 minutes.
I didn't time the longest wait we had. I know it was at least 45 minutes. I don't know if we beat 52 or not, but it was probably close.

Can't be Doc...that's me.
Can't be Dopey, that's me too!
:rotfl2:

I do always appreciate a slow updater!:thumbsup2
I aim to please.

And page 3 is what I get for getting so far behind. Ah well, better late than never. Sorry, Andy!

I've read, but will again to grab quotes and reply. Might take a few days, but I'll get there! (you shoulda PMd me!!!)
Yeah, sorry. I didn't send any PM's. I figured a link in the old TR was good enough. Maybe not. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter