Disney Has the Best Chicken Nuggets Ever! - Update Dump - Finally Completed!

Sounds like a solid plan.... but

I have a bad feeling about this!
Well, duh!

When is it ever not?
I don't know... most of the time it wasn't nightmarish. Inconvenient? Yes. But not a nightmare.

Time will tell!
Just need some luck to go our way!

Yes, most definitely a perfect time for "Someone needs to be in charge and make executive decisions" for the group. Otherwise, you end up with yet another Cluster.
::yes:: A huge group standing in the middle of the walkway huddled around a map. We've all seen them.

OF course this is happening! 3 cheers for small touring groups!
:headache:

Maybe she'd dropped it on a ride? You know.... I mean... who does that?! :rolleyes1
I've never dropped one on a ride. I have dropped one in a queue resulting in a smashed screen and a useless phone.

This is about when I'd start panicking.
Panic might be a bit strong. They couldn't have gone too far!

It used to be so good. 45 minutes good? no. But certainly better than it is now. They really messed it up.
::yes::

Nope. Probably not even half an hour for.
True.

That's how it's done!!
I like the ability to do so. I hate that it resulted in spending so much time on the app and the fact that it can only be done for the lesser attractions anyway.

Yeah, I can see that being a major source of frustration! Yuck and a sore back!

An excellent representation of Expert Planning in Action!
Things worked out. Not according to plan, but they worked.

Good parenting.
We try.

Sometimes.

So... the adult version of nuggets and fries?
Well, yeah. But have you ever had the nachos there? I love Mexican food and always wanted to try something else there. DW got the nachos once and offered me a taste. I was soon hooked. They load those things up and they are just so greasy and filling and delicious! Can you tell I haven't had lunch yet?

Just no. I mean if that's the ONLY way you can do Disney, but why not wait an extra month or two and save up the cash to just eat there. :confused3
I don't fault anyone for choosing to do it. I feel like I'd rather look at it the way you just put it though. If a few hundred dollars for food is going to make or break a trip that costs a few thousand, I probably will just save some more and do the trip another time. You've got to have a cushion for those unexpected expenses anyway.

LOL. This again?

It seems like you are very good at directing your crew, in spite of your ninja-like mother. You have been able to make the best of your botched morning plans each time. Very impressive.
:rotfl2: Yeah, she pulled that move a few times! Thanks, we have been enough to know which rides tend to get the lines so even if plan A doesn't work, it usually isn't hard to come up with plan B on the fly.

That happens sometimes unfortunately. Several years ago it happened to my oldest DD. We got her a Mickey bar from a cart. As soon as she took the first bite the entire thing slid off the stick and went splat on the ground. We did go back to the cart to explain what happened, and they gave us another for free.
::yes:: This same thing happened to us. Only we were right next to the cart when it happened. Then we cleaned out their napkin supply to clean it up off the ground and our stroller. We weren't offered a replacement. :headache:

Too bad he didn't enjoy it. I'm worried if my DD will enjoy it. She loved the old Soarin and pointed out the hidden Mickey golf ball too.
It's hard to say. I can't figure out my own kids at times!

I don't like coffee either. I love the smell of coffee and just about all things that are coffee flavored. I will give the domes another try in February. We have a dinner at Boma scheduled.
I just don't like the taste of coffee... I'm surprised I didn't just hate them if they have coffee flavor in them. Typically if I pick up on that taste in something it goes in the trash.

I don't know if I'll get over there next month... but it's tempting!

If you're a true lover of Zebra Domes you'll make it happen. My favorite snack is the carrot cake cookie at DHS. I have to get it every trip.

I have in the past! :laughing:
Yep, he'll be there....

I have purchased one for myself....
But I've never had one.
:sad2:

I just finished commenting on another TR that I despise Epcot's tier system.
::yes:: It really makes FP for that park a joke. DHS is going to be that way too if it isn't already. I do like the tiers at AK... makes sense since they're just not letting you get both Avatar rides on the same day. They still leave other good options to use.

This just worries me as most of our days are going to be in Epcot because of F&W.
True... but I'd imagine you won't be rope dropping EPCOT everyday, right? We only went through security at EPCOT twice, but pre rope drop was far worse than another day when we got there around maybe 2pm. We got right through.

That's what I was meaning about a core menu. The things I hear most is that kids only eat Mac n cheese, chicken nuggets or maybe hot dogs. If every QS place served those three plus a couple extras, parental dilemma solved!
::yes:: It would help with 31 year old aunts too... Sis2 was complaining that she couldn't just get a hot dog since that was all she wanted when we ate at Cosmic Ray's. I think that's part of why she refused to eat anything while we had dinner.

I was surprised to read how many folks grew up brown bagging it at the park, but then again, food was not as high quality back on the say as it is now. You don't have to tell me about food in Disney parks, heck my trip is planned around where I want to eat! Not necessarily rides or shows!
::yes:: Heck, you drive to the park just for the food! We always packed a cooler with food and would go eat in the parking lot when I was growing up. It was fine, but I don't want to go back to doing that now!

We're talking grandkids though. If he did 7 times for his own kid, he'd do waaaaay more than that for grandkids.
I like the way you think.
So you're thinking what? 20? 25? 50?

Well, I think it did need a new movie. Or at least a cleaner version of the old one. I've made this point a few times, but I really wish they would have made it so that the transitions from scene to scene didn't ruin the illusion of flying. That has been the biggest knock I've always had against the ride.
It's funny how each person has different things that affect them (or likes/dislikes). The transitions never really bothered me, because I'd rather have a clean break than CG transitions. Kinda hard to transition from hot, sunny Disney to the Himilayas regardless how it's attempted.

It certainly is expensive, but I'd argue that the quality is above par and the quantity certainly is as well. It is overpriced, but I enjoy the ease and convenience of it too.
I'd agree with a caveat...NOW. In the past, the quality and price were drastically disparate. You've always paid for the convenience, so it was more (for me) do I want to pay more for sub-standard food for the convenience or bring food I know we'll enjoy and be inconvenienced? It's less of a factor now than it was for us for several reasons. Less kids to take now, so buying food for less number of people overall, more cash (see point 1), quality getting better and me desiring to carry less. ;)

See, I hate coffee too. I don't hate Zebra Domes, just don't love them. I really didn't notice a coffee taste when I ate them. I've thrown desserts away in the past because I tasted a coffee flavor. I dislike it that much.
I do as well, that's why I was initially thinking there wasn't coffee in them (taste of coffee would have immediately repelled me). I looked up a recipe before we went in Feb and saw no coffee. When I looked up this time, I got a different recipe that showed they had kalhua and expresso. So I thought no, then yes, now no again. If there is any, I can't taste it which is what is important to me liking them vs. hating them.

Last edited:

Well, EPCOT has never been a favorite park of mine. Before I met DH I’d go for the food and drinks, but the attractions in Future World were not much of a draw for me. When I went to EPCOT last, it was 2012, and I went with my girlfriends to drink around the world. We rode Nemo and then hit Canada to work our way around the park. Never got a chance to ride Soarin then, and haven’t been back since!

:confused3

Raindrops and Tears

We had just finished lunch and returned to Future World to use our FP for Spaceship Earth. The standby line was 20 minutes and even the FP queue was pretty full. We probably waited at least 5-10 minutes in a winding queue outside just to get in with FP.

We rode, we visited our future, we didn’t get pictures. You know, the usual.

At this point it was decision time.

We didn’t know what we wanted to do. We had a few hours until our Frozen FP was ready. We could go walk around World Showcase or we could do something else.

We really weren’t too sure how much interest we’d have in coming back to EPCOT another day. I enjoy the park, but honestly, exploring WS in the heat didn’t appeal too much to me. And the kids don’t care much for it aside from It’s a Small Mexico. We had another morning planned to return where we could ride Soarin standby at rope drop. Since we were able to do that already, Test Track was the other big one we needed to do.

I’d noticed that TT was back up and running so we decided we’d go for it.

The posted wait was 80 minutes.

I wasn’t crazy about it, but then again, there was nothing else we urgently wanted or needed to do and we’d be in the air conditioning.

I told DS and DD it would be a long wait, but if they wanted to wait, they’d get to ride twice. They said they were up for it, so they got in line with me, BiL, Sis2 and Mom. Dad went to find a cool spot to sit down for a while and DW and Sis went to Mouse Gears with LG and Niece.

I briefly considered how expensive this ride was going to be.

The line actually moved pretty well. I was worried about how the kids would handle such a long line, but they really did great. They had fun designing cars. Again, I’m a bad TR writer and didn’t get pictures, but DD’s car was pink and efficient and made to look pretty while DS built a truck with the biggest wheels possible and it crushed the capability rating.

This was the first time that DD was going to be able to ride TT. She was pretty excited about it and both of the kids wanted to sit in front.

37516214640_e39d0bc29c_k.jpg

They had a great time and they were excited to get right back in line. But first, we had to track everyone else down. A few texts and phone calls later, the handoff was made in front of TT. Sis, Sis2, DW and Dad headed into the FP line to ride with the kids. Mom, BiL and I took the littlest ones to walk around and as the skies began to darken, we decided to go to Mouse Gears to stay dry.

It began to rain, and I was concerned that the rest of our group might not be able to ride if it got too wet. Thankfully it was a short lived shower and I never noticed the cars stopping at any point. It felt like we waited an awfully long time for them to get through with the rider swap passes though.

37516197410_71e1af3eb5_k.jpg

LG had napped with DW, but now he was awake and wanted out of the stroller.

Which would have been fine if he’d been ok with being held.

When the skies cleared, I went ahead and made my way out near the TT exit just for a change of scenery and it really wasn’t very long before they came walking out. I ran back to Mouse Gears to get Mom and BiL and we all met up by the Frozen Coke place to get something cool to enjoy.

We had a minor meltdown with DD here. She got in line with me and didn’t want one. After I got a drink for myself and DS, she got mad and decided she did want her own. Being on the dining plan, we had snack credits so it wasn’t that big of a deal, but I was frustrated that she chose to wait until after we had ours to tell me she wanted one too.

Cool drinks in hand, we walked along the back way towards Mexico, planning to make quick use of the facilities near the Odyssey. DW needed to feed LG, so they headed into the baby care center.

Everybody else was ready to move on. I don’t remember where they went. I’m sure BiL just wanted a drink somewhere, so they decided to go on without us. DS and DD wanted to go with them so I was just hanging out by myself waiting on DW. Within just a few minutes, she came back out. She said it was too busy in there. She changed his diaper and waited for a bit, but there was just too much going on in the baby care center and he wasn’t showing any interest in nursing.

We walked on towards Mexico and sent a text to let the others know where we were. The plan was to meet there for a ride and some refreshments. We wandered around for a few minutes before the others arrived to meet up with us.

We took the usual ride on It’s a Small Mexico. Our kids always love that ride and LG was no exception.

Next was the most important thing there is to do in Mexico. Visit La Cava del Tequila! I usually get the San Angel Inn Margarita. Nothing fancy, just the standard. And I love it, so why change, right?

Well this time, I did decide to change it up. I chose a Blood Orange Margarita. I thought it was OK, but wished I had stuck with my standard choice. DW ordered a Cucumber Margarita, took one drink and didn’t want any more. She didn’t like it and said she just wanted a frozen margarita from the stand outside, so BiL offered to take the Cucumber Margarita and buy her one from the stand. He actually liked it.

The problem with drinks from la Cava is that they just aren’t big enough. You get them in those to go cups and I’ve yet to have one not somehow run empty by the time I make it to the bottom steps of the pyramid.

By the time DW had her drink, mine was gone and I was ready to move on.

Once again, the skies were beginning to darken.

It was just about time to use our FP for Frozen, so we headed to Norway.

We parked the strollers and waited around while DW and my sisters finished their drinks. We could tell that this was going to be the big Florida afternoon downpour this time, so I put the rain cover on our stroller and helped BiL get theirs covered with a poncho to keep it dry. The raindrops started to fall and we could see the downpour moving towards us.

Not all the drinks were finished, but they could be safely stowed in the kids’ cupholders on their tray under the rain cover.

I’m sure people who saw margaritas in the kids’ cupholders thought we were awesome parents.

We made a run for the Frozen queue as the skies opened.

The FP was definitely a must have for this one! The queue was massive and it was great to walk right past all those suckers and get right on a boat.

Quick question: Does anybody else say the Maelstrom spiel on the lift hill in a really crappy Norwegian accent?

“You are not the first to pass this way, nor shall you be the last.”

Just me?

Anyway, I thought the ride was very well done. I always enjoyed Maelstrom. I can’t say that I was terribly upset that it went away though. I think this is a very nice replacement and something much needed in EPCOT. The park really needs more to interest kids and while I get the traditional concerns about not wanting to see EPCOT overrun by characters, it just makes sense. I don’t want to see the countries lose their feel and identity, but if we can fit in an IP here and there to add to the experience, why not?

We enjoyed the ride a lot. I’m going to include a cropped ride photo of just DS and DD. They sat in the front seat and as you can see, DD still was worried about getting splashed in the face when we went down a hill.

37726152856_d8be066115_k.jpg

The reason for the cropping is… well, you remember when we stopped at the baby care center and LG didn’t want to nurse? Well, DW might have used a few of the dark rides to accomplish that task. She didn’t realize there is a camera on this ride now.

We exited the ride to find a very crowded gift shop. That place was packed. The rain was absolutely pouring down and nobody wanted to leave.

The kids were each given some money to spend on souvenirs so DD naturally wanted everything she saw. We ended up getting a playset of Frozen figurines and she picked out an Anna Magic Band which I told her she could get since DS got a Star Wars band.

We made our purchases and went over by the troll while we waited for the rain to let up. It just continued to come down relentlessly. We waited for a while and discussed plans for the evening. We had considered staying for Illuminations, but nobody really seemed like they wanted to see it. I threw out the idea of leaving EPCOT to head for DHS to see the Star Wars fireworks show. BiL and Niece are Star Wars fans so they were all in and everybody agreed that it would be a good idea so that we wouldn’t have to rush to try and watch it after Fantasmic.

We waited quite a while for the rain to stop. It finally let up somewhat and I had ponchos in my backpack, so I convinced everybody to grab a poncho and get out of there.

The poncho we tried to rig on Niece’s stroller failed in the wind and rain, so we put LG and Niece into our double stroller under the rain cover and continued our wet tour of World Showcase since the older 2 kids had ponchos. We bypassed China, but had to make a quick stop in Germany for Karmel Kuche.

It is physically impossible for us to walk past that shop without stopping.

The kids needed to use the restroom so we took care of that while DW, Mom and Sis grabbed some snacks.

It was almost time for our ADR in Italy and the rain had finally stopped while we were in Germany. The forecast still showed some chances for rain so we parked the strollers and waterproofed them the best we could once again. I headed in to check us in at Via Napoli 20 minutes early while everyone else chose to wait outside. They told me that our table wouldn’t be ready until our ADR time, but it was less than 5 minutes later when they called my name. I called out the door to the family and got them all heading in the restaurant.

Except Mom and DD.

Yep… where’s Mom?

They went to look at something. I think. In any case, we were seated and had to just watch for them so we could direct them to our table.

We were seated in the main dining room, just inside the entrance past the end of the long table in the middle of the restaurant. It was loud and boisterous, as it usually tends to be.

Our service for the meal was fantastic. We had drinks in no time and they took our orders. DW and I got a pepperoni pizza to share, but everyone else chose to order pasta dishes.

I don’t know what is wrong with them.

After eating our fill of delicious pizza and making approximately 50 trips to the restroom with 1 kid at a time, we were ready to move on. At least DS was being nice and helping with Niece…

37065141524_06d5c4f5ed_b.jpg

I almost forgot to mention this... a couple came in and were seated at a table next to us. They ordered a pizza and a couple of drinks. They each ate 1 slice of a large pizza and then left. We were joking about it being such a waste and when they came to bus the table, BiL asked if he could have the rest of their pizza.

We came outside and it had clearly rained again, but it ended before we came back out.

Mom had heard about the pick a pearl in Japan, and decided that she wanted to do that with DD and Niece. That was one priority that we had to get done before leaving EPCOT, so we headed that way.

We all went into the store, but LG was very impatient and in need of a nap. I just couldn’t keep him in one place to wait. We walked around the store, then when that got too boring for him we went outside and walked around. Meanwhile, the girls were picking their pearls.

37064981644_1229e4feba_b.jpg

37773935901_aafae63744_b.jpg

37064980984_c1b1e7a95c_b.jpg

37773935401_e381f17095_b.jpg

37773936211_7ea2567842_b.jpg

Having accomplished this, I was ready to head for DHS. While LG and I waited on them I had looked to see what FP we could get there. I couldn’t believe it when I saw that we virtually had our pick of any TSMM FP that we wanted. I grabbed them in the off chance that we could make it to DHS in time to do it before the fireworks.

But Sis wanted to walk the rest of the way around World Showcase. She didn’t want anything in particular. She just wanted to walk to Canada I guess to say she walked all the way around. It was a little over an hour before the show would start so I tried to make it clear to them that depending on our timing it could take close to an hour to get to DHS if we had to wait for a boat.

They were determined to finish the loop so they did. I went as far as the UK pavilion, before Dad and I basically said screw it and looked for a place to sit down. A few minutes later, everyone was back so we headed for the International Gateway.

This is where it all went south…

DD wanted to be carried. We told her that wasn’t going to happen and if she was too tired to walk, she needed to get in the stroller.

We have a bar that mounts to our City Mini double stroller with trays. We use the trays in the parks for drinks and snacks for the kids on the go and we’d mounted fans to them to keep the kids cool. Well, DD decided she absolutely didn’t want that bar on the stroller. She wanted us to take it off… NOW!

Let’s just say she’s almost as hard headed as I am and I made it clear I wasn’t taking it off and she needed to get her rear end in the stroller or walk.

She threw an absolutely huge, ugly tantrum as we were leaving EPCOT.

There was a boat right there at the dock getting ready to leave. We didn’t want to take a screaming, crying 5 year old on the boat, and we didn’t know what to do. I was pretty much convinced that the night was done and we were just going to go back to the room at this point. I just couldn’t decide if we walk back through EPCOT, walk to DHS and hop on a bus or ride the boat.

I finally just picked her up and started walking to the boat which only made her madder. Mom offered to take her and she calmed down some for Grandma, but she was still whining about the stroller tray. We boarded the boat and I sat in the back with the stroller while everyone else found seats near the front. DD calmed down considerably once she was away from me and the stroller.

I took advantage of the boat ride to get LG out of the stroller so he could stand up on my lap and look around. I got a pack of food out for him and went ahead and fed him and gave him his medicine (which went better than the previous day) while we were on our way to DHS.

DD had calmed down on the boat ride and was actually smiling so we decided to go ahead and try to see the fireworks.

On our way in we stopped for a Photopass picture. I’d share a cropped version, but for some reason we only got the animated version on our Memory Maker and none of the still pictures. Anyway, DD had no interest in the pictures and had her face buried in DW.

Mom was trying to make her laugh and she got mouthy. DW took her off to the side and told her to apologize and she refused. DW and I ended up heading for the exit with DD and LG. We were done and going back to the room. Just before we got to the exit she finally decided that she didn’t want to leave and was ready to apologize.

It was just an altogether ugly hour or so with her being an absolute brat.

We rejoined the rest of our group and we found a great spot right in the middle of the street in front of the Chinese Theater. It was too late to use our TSMM FPs, but we still had time to get a snack. BiL and I decided to make up for the lack of ice cream the night before in MK, so we headed over to Gertie’s Ice Cream of Extinction only to find out that the only true part of that name is “extinction.”

I mean it is a 90 degree day in mid-July. There’s a fireworks show getting ready to start in about half an hour. Who in their right mind would want ice cream?

Since Gerties was closed, I considered Peevy’s Polar Pipeline for a frozen Coke.

Nope, closed too.

We ended up finding a cart on the corner of Sunset Blvd where we grabbed a few Mickey bars and returned to our families with our tail between our legs after yet another failed ice cream mission.

All in all, I guess it kind of made some sense that some things were closed. DHS wasn’t crowded at all. I don’t know if the rain had chased the crowd from the park earlier, but we had a prime spot for the show and we could have literally walked up 5 minutes before it started and been within a few feet of where we were standing.

And still the CMs came along and instructed everyone to move forward and make room. I think most everyone turned around, looked at the vacant street behind us and decided to just preserve our personal space despite the urges of the CMs.

Eventually the fireworks, music and projections began.

And we were all impressed.

DW hates Star Wars. She loved the show.

DS absolutely lit up when the music hit and the show started.

It was easily Niece’s favorite thing up to this point in the trip.

I’m sure that HEA will grow on us over the years, but at this point in time, I have to say we definitely preferred the Star Wars show to HEA. We loved it!

Everyone was in better spirits now! We’d enjoyed the show and DD’s theatrics were long forgotten.

Mom wanted to stop in the shops on the way out so she told us to go on and she’d just catch a bus back to AKL after she finished. We headed out and saw that the AKL bus stop was the first one to the right… but there was a huge crowd trying to get to the walkway to all the buses that load on the right side. I walked up to someone and asked if they were waiting for AKL. They confirmed that they were. There was a small lane for people to walk past the AKL queue, which was full and spilling way back out into the common area.

This was literally the worst bus experience I’ve ever had.

We saw one bus driver come and get a load of passengers just after we arrived at the bus stop.

The next bus we saw pull up to the AKL stop was the very same one.

We were far enough back that I think it was bus number 4 that we were finally able to get on. By the time they finally dispatched more buses to the AKL stop, we’d been waiting over 45 minutes, and there wasn’t a sole around waiting at the other bus stops. We still couldn’t fit all of the AKL guests into the queue, but at least they had 3 buses waiting in line to pull up to the bus stop.

People were really getting ugly in the line. There was a CM with an iPad that caught an earful from some guests. I guess that didn’t do anything.

I felt sorry for one bus driver who was walking past us. Looked like it might have been the end of his shift or something and someone cornered him ripping him a new one about the bus service.

All the kids were asleep by the time we boarded a bus. Sis2 again helped us with DD and I think everyone holding a kid was at least able to get a seat. This night soured me on the bus service as a whole. I understand having to wait on a bus. Maybe I come off as sounding privileged, but they call AKL a deluxe resort. If I’m paying a deluxe price, I feel like I should expect my bus service to be something better than that???? I don’t know, but when you’re waiting 45 minutes to leave a park, and all you see is the very same bus show up twice for your stop while the values are cranking a bus past you every 5 minutes… it just doesn’t sit very well.

Mom easily made it out in time to get on the same bus with us. We joked that we should have all just stayed in the park for an hour or so instead of trying to get back to the room.

The bus ride back was thankfully better than the wait. We quickly got everyone showered or bathed and in bed after a long, and at times, difficult day.

Last edited:

What a tough night between the rain, a DD tantrum, and an insane bus line! But Epcot sounds like it was a good time getting to ride TT and FEA and of course a good meal! I am glad the trip to DHS was worth it and you all enjoyed the show (even if you couldn't get any ice cream).

I don't know why I noticed this but the "Pizza of the day" (in your Via Napoli picture) is the same "pizza of the day" for every time I have been there. So I guess they should just put it on the menu???? Haha

We have all had days like that. We had a major tantrum from our 7 year old this past trip. I couldn't believe it... at age 7. She normally is our easy going one. It was easily the worse tantrum of her life. And it was after a full night sleep. It was truly just waking up on the wrong side of the bed I guess. It carried on into the park that day. Phew... I cringe just thinking about it now.

The standby line was 20 minutes and even the FP queue was pretty full. We probably waited at least 5-10 minutes in a winding queue outside just to get in with FP.

Whoa...

We had a few hours until our Frozen FP was ready.

I hate having to wait hours for a frozen fast pass to thaw out.

We could go walk around World Showcase or we could do something else.

I know what I'd pick... but I also know that it's not what kids would pick.

And the kids don’t care much for it aside from It’s a Small Mexico.

Yep.

I’d noticed that TT was back up and running so we decided we’d go for it.

Yay!

Ugh!

The line actually moved pretty well.

so was it 80 minutes?

DD’s car was pink and efficient and made to look pretty while DS built a truck with the biggest wheels possible and it crushed the capability rating.

Nice! :laughing:

:thumbsup2 Great shot!

LG had napped with DW, but now he was awake and wanted out of the stroller.

Which would have been fine if he’d been ok with being held.

Ah yes.... How I recall that age with mine.

We had a minor meltdown with DD here. She got in line with me and didn’t want one. After I got a drink for myself and DS, she got mad and decided she did want her own.

This is pretty much standard with that age, no?
At least that's what I recall.

We took the usual ride on It’s a Small Mexico. Our kids always love that ride and LG was no exception.

Good!

DW ordered a Cucumber Margarita, took one drink and didn’t want any more.

Well, of course. It's a Cucumber Margarita!

Strawberry! Lime!

She didn’t like it and said she just wanted a frozen margarita from the stand outside

See?????

And... me too.

The problem with drinks from la Cava is that they just aren’t big enough. You get them in those to go cups and I’ve yet to have one not somehow run empty by the time I make it to the bottom steps of the pyramid.

Disney magic funnel.

I’m sure people who saw margaritas in the kids’ cupholders thought we were awesome parents.

"It helps them sleep."

So much more convenient than the rag soaked in gasoline.

The FP was definitely a must have for this one! The queue was massive and it was great to walk right past all those suckers and get right on a boat.

::yes:: Best feeling ever. "Look at me! Watch as I stroll right on by!"

Quick question: Does anybody else say the Maelstrom spiel on the lift hill in a really crappy Norwegian accent?

Nope! But I've only been on it once or twice.

I always enjoyed Maelstrom. I can’t say that I was terribly upset that it went away though.

Ditto.

I’m going to include a cropped ride photo of just DS and DD. They sat in the front seat and as you can see, DD still was worried about getting splashed in the face when we went down a hill.

:laughing:

The reason for the cropping is… well, you remember when we stopped at the baby care center and LG didn’t want to nurse? Well, DW might have used a few of the dark rides to accomplish that task. She didn’t realize there is a camera on this ride now.

Oops!
Here's hoping the other people on the boat didn't have MM.

We made our purchases and went over by the troll while we waited for the rain to let up.

Internet trolls are everywhere these days.

We bypassed China, but had to make a quick stop in Germany for Karmel Kuche.

Well, of course.... :

Yep… where’s Mom?

Not again!!!!!

Awwwwww....

I almost forgot to mention this... a couple came in and were seated at a table next to us. They ordered a pizza and a couple of drinks. They each ate 1 slice of a large pizza and then left. We were joking about it being such a waste and when they came to bus the table, BiL asked if he could have the rest of their pizza.

Did they give it to him????

She sure seems pleased as punch!

Unfortunately, that smile didn't last through the next little bit...

I couldn’t believe it when I saw that we virtually had our pick of any TSMM FP that we wanted.

What??? How is this possible????

Let’s just say she’s almost as hard headed as I am and I made it clear I wasn’t taking it off and she needed to get her rear end in the stroller or walk.

Oh, boy....

We boarded the boat and I sat in the back with the stroller while everyone else found seats near the front. DD calmed down considerably once she was away from me and the stroller.

:hug:

Mom was trying to make her laugh and she got mouthy. DW took her off to the side and told her to apologize and she refused. DW and I ended up heading for the exit with DD and LG. We were done and going back to the room. Just before we got to the exit she finally decided that she didn’t want to leave and was ready to apologize.

And again... :hug:

We've (well, all parents) all been there.

I mean it is a 90 degree day in mid-July. There’s a fireworks show getting ready to start in about half an hour. Who in their right mind would want ice cream?

Yeah! That's just crazy talk!

And still the CMs came along and instructed everyone to move forward and make room. I think most everyone turned around, looked at the vacant street behind us and decided to just preserve our personal space despite the urges of the CMs.

:sad2: Good to ignore authority once in a while. Especially when it's stupid.

This was literally the worst bus experience I’ve ever had.

:sad2: Sorry dude.

We saw one bus driver come and get a load of passengers just after we arrived at the bus stop.

The next bus we saw pull up to the AKL stop was the very same one.

The same one???? What the?
Did they not know that the park was closing that day?

People were really getting ugly in the line. There was a CM with an iPad that caught an earful from some guests. I guess that didn’t do anything.

Oy.

I felt sorry for one bus driver who was walking past us. Looked like it might have been the end of his shift or something and someone cornered him ripping him a new one about the bus service.

Why? What is that supposed to accomplish? :sad2:

All the kids were asleep by the time we boarded a bus.

And the adults were probably not far behind them.

Maybe I come off as sounding privileged, but they call AKL a deluxe resort. If I’m paying a deluxe price, I feel like I should expect my bus service to be something better than that????

No, I get that.
I don't think the bus service to Deluxe should be better... but it definitely should not be worse!!

We rode, we visited our future, we didn’t get pictures. You know, the usual.

Sounds pretty typical.

DW and Sis went to Mouse Gears with LG and Niece.

I briefly considered how expensive this ride was going to be.

:laughing:

Once again, the skies were beginning to darken.

Uh oh...sounds like foreshadowing...

:rotfl2: Only the best parents! Might as well start them young!

“You are not the first to pass this way, nor shall you be the last.”

Just me?

:laughing: Oh, not everyone does that??

Anyway, I thought the ride was very well done. I always enjoyed Maelstrom. I can’t say that I was terribly upset that it went away though. I think this is a very nice replacement and something much needed in EPCOT. The park really needs more to interest kids and while I get the traditional concerns about not wanting to see EPCOT overrun by characters, it just makes sense. I don’t want to see the countries lose their feel and identity, but if we can fit in an IP here and there to add to the experience, why not?

Agree! I liked Maelstrom a lot, and I actually do miss it because of the family memories I have from it. But I think FEA was really well done and a great addition. It definitely suddenly made Epcot a destination for families in a way that I don't feel it used to be! I think there can definitely be a balance between maintaining the cultural relevance and also honouring some of Disney's hottest big-selling IPs.

:rotfl:Bahaha! Were there other families in your boat?? If so, I'm sure they got a nice little surprise when they looked at their ride photo! Of course there isn't anything wrong with nursing in public or anything, but I'm sure that's not what most people expect to see in a ride photo. Love it! I'm surprised that Disney didn't catch that one and pull the photo though. It seems like they have weird and strict standard about what they won't allow in a photo. They always seem to delete ones that have even a hint at fake violence, for instance, like a wife pretending to strangle a husband, etc.

We bypassed China, but had to make a quick stop in Germany for Karmel Kuche.

Funny how this physical reaction seems to happen. Wonder what it is that makes "karmel" so magnetic...

They told me that our table wouldn’t be ready until our ADR time, but it was less than 5 minutes later when they called my name. I called out the door to the family and got them all heading in the restaurant.

Except Mom and DD.

Yep… where’s Mom?

Oh. My. Gosh.

MOM, seriously!!??

So did he eat their pizza?? Inquiring minds want to know!

This is where it all went south…

Uh oh...

Oh no! DD wasn't having a very good day, apparently! It's funny how kids hit those tough periods at different ages. (According to my mother I was an awful 3 year old, for instance.) Tough on all of you, I'm sure! Kids can really test their limits for sure. Good for you guys for being firm with her, even though it could have made for a pretty lousy night. Glad things got better before the night was out!

That's lame. I don't know what people expect when they do things like that. What would that bus driver have done, really? Said, "Oh, you're upset you don't have a bus? Let me just pop out back and get a bus for you and drive you to your hotel right now!"?? I'm sure those bus drivers take a lot of complaints...

And the kids don’t care much for it aside from It’s a Small Mexico
I love this ride, but hate IASW....I've not hear it called It's a small Mexico

I was frustrated that she chose to wait until after we had ours to tell me she wanted one too.
The thrill of being a parent. Then there's the rest of the evening ouch sounds like that was painful.

Next was the most important thing there is to do in Mexico. Visit La Cava del Tequila!
:woohoo::thumbsup2;)
so BiL offered to take the Cucumber Margarita and buy her one from the stand. He actually liked it
A man after my own heart, but I love the Habanaro margs....so much so that we even infuse our own Tequila at home with home grown habanaros. We get bummed when that tequila runs out early winter late fall.

:rotfl:

quick stop in Germany for Karmel Kuche.

anigif_original-grid-image-30025-1403217086-41.gif

We really weren’t too sure how much interest we’d have in coming back to EPCOT another day. I enjoy the park, but honestly, exploring WS in the heat didn’t appeal too much to me. And the kids don’t care much for it aside from It’s a Small Mexico.
It's a small Mexico :rotfl:

:scared1: brave man waiting that one out

Look at those smiles, I would say that was a success

I have yet to get a drink here, the line is always so long. Glad you enjoyed it though, even though you got a different drink.

:drinking1Of course drinking keeps parents sane

I agree, but some Disney fans will tell you our kids are uncultured swine :confused3 IP in Epcot seems to be here to stay, so might as well get on board.

:bitelip: I can only imagine being a nursing mother surprised by a camera. I too have nursed on many a dark ride at Disney :thumbsup2

It was almost time for our ADR in Italy and the rain had finally stopped while we were in Germany. The forecast still showed some chances for rain so we parked the strollers and waterproofed them the best we could once again. I headed in to check us in at Via Napoli 20 minutes early while everyone else chose to wait outside. They told me that our table wouldn’t be ready until our ADR time, but it was less than 5 minutes later when they called my name. I called out the door to the family and got them all heading in the restaurant.
That literally always happens and they almost never make you wait :confused3

I finally just picked her up and started walking to the boat which only made her madder. Mom offered to take her and she calmed down some for Grandma, but she was still whining about the stroller tray. We boarded the boat and I sat in the back with the stroller while everyone else found seats near the front. DD calmed down considerably once she was away from me and the stroller.
:hug: How dare you not give in to her ridiculous demands. Thank goodness grandma was there, we've always found in these situations someone needs to be good cop otherwise it's just horrible. Thankfully she calmed down and it didn't completely ruin your night.

Everyone was in better spirits now! We’d enjoyed the show and DD’s theatrics were long forgotten.
Disney magic pixiedust:

All the kids were asleep by the time we boarded a bus. Sis2 again helped us with DD and I think everyone holding a kid was at least able to get a seat. This night soured me on the bus service as a whole. I understand having to wait on a bus. Maybe I come off as sounding privileged, but they call AKL a deluxe resort. If I’m paying a deluxe price, I feel like I should expect my bus service to be something better than that???? I don’t know, but when you’re waiting 45 minutes to leave a park, and all you see is the very same bus show up twice for your stop while the values are cranking a bus past you every 5 minutes… it just doesn’t sit very well.
I totally agree with you, staying at a deluxe you are usually paying upwards of 4x the cost of the value, but they'll just add a service like the Minnie vans (only currently available at deluxes) so you pay even more to be getting what you should have gotten in the first place, good transportation :headache:

What a tough night between the rain, a DD tantrum, and an insane bus line!
We definitely had our share of rough patches that evening.

But Epcot sounds like it was a good time getting to ride TT and FEA and of course a good meal! I am glad the trip to DHS was worth it and you all enjoyed the show (even if you couldn't get any ice cream).
But definitely some nice highlights too. It was great to knock out our must do items and make some good memories.

I don't know why I noticed this but the "Pizza of the day" (in your Via Napoli picture) is the same "pizza of the day" for every time I have been there. So I guess they should just put it on the menu???? Haha
Honestly, I've never even noticed that one. We always order the same thing or some variation of the same anyway. I literally don't even need a menu when I walk in there. :rotfl2:

We have all had days like that. We had a major tantrum from our 7 year old this past trip. I couldn't believe it... at age 7. She normally is our easy going one. It was easily the worse tantrum of her life. And it was after a full night sleep. It was truly just waking up on the wrong side of the bed I guess. It carried on into the park that day. Phew... I cringe just thinking about it now.
Well, as we'll come to see, this just seemed to be DD. We tried getting more breaks and more sleep, but nothing seemed to help. She can be just the sweetest little girl and it's like the flip of a switch, if something upsets her or she doesn't like something she just turns into a whiny little 2 year old and throws a tantrum. I don't know how long this phase lasts, but I'm ready for it to be over.

What a day! You guys got a lot of EPCOT done!

Sorry you had to wander around the WS for so long, wonder if that pushed DD into her mood? I’m sorry she got into such a nasty spot. Girls are hard, I speak from experience; I have 3 younger sisters.

I’m glad you got to see the Star Wars fireworks, and that y’all liked them so much!

Oof, privileged or not, it’s a privilege you paid a high price for, and I agree 110%. For the cost of the Deluxe resorts there should be better transportation, especially at AKL since your only option is a bus.

I never saw anything indicating that it was, but it made me wonder if the ride was down earlier in the day or something.

I hate having to wait hours for a frozen fast pass to thaw out.
It would have thawed in less than 2 seconds on the asphalt of World Showcase that afternoon.

I know what I'd pick... but I also know that it's not what kids would pick.

so was it 80 minutes?
I left that detail out, didn't I? It was about an hour.

:thumbsup2 Great shot!
Thanks. We were having a great time on the ride!

Ah yes.... How I recall that age with mine.
Seems like each age has it's own set of unique challenges. And really, those challenges come at different ages for each individual kid.

This is pretty much standard with that age, no?
At least that's what I recall.
Well, like I said above... I don't think it is the standard for this age necessarily. DS was great as a 5 year old. Mature beyond his years. He went through this phase when he was like 3. DD wasn't so bad when she was that age, but now she's cranking it up.

Well, of course. It's a Cucumber Margarita!

Strawberry! Lime!
::yes:: I tend to prefer sticking to the basics too. Some of the exotic flavors sound interesting, but when you're talking La Cava del Tequila prices... yeah, I don't want to be that adventurous.

See?????

And... me too.
Well, I'd certainly rather have a freshly mixed drink from la Cava than a frozen drink out of a machine... :rolleyes1

Disney magic funnel.
I thought that was what they used to empty my wallet?

"It helps them sleep."

So much more convenient than the rag soaked in gasoline.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

::yes:: Best feeling ever. "Look at me! Watch as I stroll right on by!"
:thumbsup2 ::yes::

Nope! But I've only been on it once or twice.
I just can't resist. Although when it was Maelstrom, I used to always speak along with the narration in a crappy Norwegian accent too, so this is really just a continuation.

Oops!
Here's hoping the other people on the boat didn't have MM.
We had the boat to ourselves. 11 people in your travel party can do that.

Internet trolls are everywhere these days.
Thanks to smart phones!

Well, of course.... :
DW always has to get the caramel corn and usually we try something else from the bakery case.

Not again!!!!!
Sadly, yes, again.

Awwwwww....
That's a good one, isn't it? She really loved getting to spend time with her older cousins.

Did they give it to him????
They just kind of awkwardly laughed when he said it. I don't think they could tell if he was serious or joking. They said they can't do that and threw it away.

She sure seems pleased as punch!

Unfortunately, that smile didn't last through the next little bit...
Ain't that the truth

What??? How is this possible????
I don't know, but I found them to be readily available that week. I'm sure that's not the case now that there are like 3 FP attractions in the park.

And again... :hug:

We've (well, all parents) all been there.

Yeah! That's just crazy talk!
I know! I guess Disney is making so much money they don't want to take advantage of that situation.

:sad2: Good to ignore authority once in a while. Especially when it's stupid.

The same one???? What the?
Did they not know that the park was closing that day?
Yes. The same one. It was absurd. Clearly they didn't expect the park to close for at least another hour. Maybe AKL was supposed to have a special EMH and nobody told us? :confused3

Why? What is that supposed to accomplish? :sad2:
Nothing, but it was frustrating. There were only so many transportation CM's around to complain to...

And the adults were probably not far behind them.
If I could sleep standing up...

No, I get that.
I don't think the bus service to Deluxe should be better... but it definitely should not be worse!!

Sounds pretty typical.

Uh oh...sounds like foreshadowing...
Well, it is Florida in July...

:rotfl2: Only the best parents! Might as well start them young!
There you go!

:laughing: Oh, not everyone does that??
Thank you! I knew I liked you for some reason!

Agree! I liked Maelstrom a lot, and I actually do miss it because of the family memories I have from it. But I think FEA was really well done and a great addition. It definitely suddenly made Epcot a destination for families in a way that I don't feel it used to be! I think there can definitely be a balance between maintaining the cultural relevance and also honouring some of Disney's hottest big-selling IPs.
Yeah, I would say I miss it too... but I don't think it was necessarily a bad attraction to replace the way they did. The IPs are coming whether we like it or not, so we might as well embrace it. But seeing Norway and how Frozen was incorporated... I have faith in them.

:rotfl:Bahaha! Were there other families in your boat?? If so, I'm sure they got a nice little surprise when they looked at their ride photo! Of course there isn't anything wrong with nursing in public or anything, but I'm sure that's not what most people expect to see in a ride photo. Love it! I'm surprised that Disney didn't catch that one and pull the photo though. It seems like they have weird and strict standard about what they won't allow in a photo. They always seem to delete ones that have even a hint at fake violence, for instance, like a wife pretending to strangle a husband, etc.
No, we had 11 people so it was just our family on the boat, thankfully!

Funny how this physical reaction seems to happen. Wonder what it is that makes "karmel" so magnetic...
Smells good, tastes good. It's like a drug... one taste and you're coming back for more.

Oh. My. Gosh.

MOM, seriously!!??
:sad2:

So did he eat their pizza?? Inquiring minds want to know!
They didn't seem like they knew whether to take him seriously or not. They just kind of awkwardly laughed and threw it out.

Oh no! DD wasn't having a very good day, apparently! It's funny how kids hit those tough periods at different ages. (According to my mother I was an awful 3 year old, for instance.) Tough on all of you, I'm sure! Kids can really test their limits for sure. Good for you guys for being firm with her, even though it could have made for a pretty lousy night. Glad things got better before the night was out!
Yeah, it was rough, but we survived. She still isn't quite past this phase yet and I'm just ready for it to be over.

That's lame. I don't know what people expect when they do things like that. What would that bus driver have done, really? Said, "Oh, you're upset you don't have a bus? Let me just pop out back and get a bus for you and drive you to your hotel right now!"?? I'm sure those bus drivers take a lot of complaints...
If he'd have done that, you can bet I'd be giving the next bus driver that walked by an earful just like that other guy did!!!
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:
OMG.

I feel like I'm really learning to parent from the best here. Storing these little tips away for my potential future children.
:thumbsup2

I love this ride, but hate IASW....I've not hear it called It's a small Mexico
I enjoy it a lot! I've just always called it that because it reminds me of IASW... you've got the boats, catchy music and there's that one scene with all the Mexican IASW style dolls. And now we have It's a Small Moon, but I'll get to that one in the next update.

The thrill of being a parent. Then there's the rest of the evening ouch sounds like that was painful.
It was rough, but we survived.

A man after my own heart, but I love the Habanaro margs....so much so that we even infuse our own Tequila at home with home grown habanaros. We get bummed when that tequila runs out early winter late fall.
I'm kind of intrigued to try some of the more exotic flavors. I just have a hard time wanting to get too adventurous at la Cava when the drinks there are so expensive. The ones I've had have been great, but I just never really want to try something new.

That's about right!

It's a small Mexico :rotfl:
It fits!

:scared1: brave man waiting that one out
I figured it would be a little bit shorter than that. It ended up being about an hour. But in any case, I was going to be hanging out in the AC, so it worked...

Look at those smiles, I would say that was a success

I have yet to get a drink here, the line is always so long. Glad you enjoyed it though, even though you got a different drink.
I've been lucky every time. I've been able to get right up to the bar, maybe wait behind 2 or 3 people, to get drinks to go. I've never waited to get a seat in there or anything though.

:drinking1Of course drinking keeps parents sane
Good point!

I agree, but some Disney fans will tell you our kids are uncultured swine :confused3 IP in Epcot seems to be here to stay, so might as well get on board.
You're right. It's coming whether we like it or not, but from what I've seen at Norway, I think they did a great job of integrating it and still keeping with the feel of the Norway pavilion.

:bitelip: I can only imagine being a nursing mother surprised by a camera. I too have nursed on many a dark ride at Disney :thumbsup2
:rotfl2: She had no idea there was a camera. I knew there was and didn't even think to say anything. Honestly, I was sitting right next to her but it was my first time on the ride and I was just taking everything in. I didn't even realize she was doing it until she told me after the ride.

That literally always happens and they almost never make you wait :confused3

:hug: How dare you not give in to her ridiculous demands. Thank goodness grandma was there, we've always found in these situations someone needs to be good cop otherwise it's just horrible. Thankfully she calmed down and it didn't completely ruin your night.
True. I just hate giving in to her. She'll never learn if she ultimately gets what she wants with these tantrums. DW and I butt heads from time to time on this issue... :rolleyes1

Disney magic pixiedust:

I totally agree with you, staying at a deluxe you are usually paying upwards of 4x the cost of the value, but they'll just add a service like the Minnie vans (only currently available at deluxes) so you pay even more to be getting what you should have gotten in the first place, good transportation :headache:
Yeah. It really makes it rough when you're staying about the farthest of any resorts away from pretty much everything too.

What a day! You guys got a lot of EPCOT done!
::yes:: Everything we really wanted to do!

Sorry you had to wander around the WS for so long, wonder if that pushed DD into her mood? I’m sorry she got into such a nasty spot. Girls are hard, I speak from experience; I have 3 younger sisters.
I really don't think that was it. She just gets whiny and grumpy over nothing and that night it just seemed to be amplified.

I’m glad you got to see the Star Wars fireworks, and that y’all liked them so much!
They were fantastic! We really liked them a lot!

Oof, privileged or not, it’s a privilege you paid a high price for, and I agree 110%. For the cost of the Deluxe resorts there should be better transportation, especially at AKL since your only option is a bus.
Yeah, that's my thinking. Especially with AKL being so far from literally everything except for AK. It takes so long to make the drive so you'd think they'd have more buses on the road.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!