Disney Just Called Concerning Sickness (Thanksgiving Cruise)

We are going in 2 wks!!!!!!! Planned all year!!!!! What exactly does this entail?? Something we should pack to help us out medicine wise???? HELP

Poohtoyou, not to worry. :) I'm sailing in two weeks too!

I will bring the usual anti-diarrheal over the counter meds (Immodium) that I always take on trips and nothing else. It's a viral illness, and the ship has a well-staffed and stocked medical facility. I honestly expect NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER on a cruise in two weeks. I'll be washing my hand a lot (I do that anyway) and plan on having FUN! :sunny:

I suppose we've waited too long to worry about that now! :) Will just have to get after my DD to wash her hands better:)

I do not know if it has been mentioned, but I often carry a bottle of nice smelly baterial gel in my purse at times and will use this AFTER washing my hands - I also have the disposables toweletts that are so easy to carry - they both can be used on the children, adults, and it prevents a lot of problems - I just went out to the patio to see if the ship had come in yet, but at this time it hasn't.
If I see it come in, will post a note
good night and sweet dreams everybody.
Always
Shirley

This story was copied from the website of WFTV channel 9 in Orlando just a few moments ago . . . listen to what the spokesman says ". . . in the end we're going to do what's right for our guests." This doesn't sound good! Best wishes for all those on the Thanksgiving Cruise!

Disney Cruise Ship Passengers Contract Stomach Virus

(11/22/02) -- Nearly 200 passengers and crew members on a Disney cruise ship contracted a contagious stomach
virus, shortly after more than 500 people on another Florida-based
cruise ship came down with a similar illness, officials said Thursday.

Passengers and crew on the Disney Cruise Line ship Magic became ill Wednesday and Thursday as it sailed in the Bahamas. The U.S.

Centers for Diseas e Control said it received a report late Thursday
of 175 cases of vomiting and diarrhea among passengers, and 12 cases among the crew.

The ship departed Nov. 17 from Port Canaveral with 3,200 people onboard and returns on Saturday.

Disney officials ordered the ship to be cleaned and disinfected at sea, said spokesman Mark Jaronski. Facilities on Disney's private Bahama island and at its terminal at Port Canaveral will also be disinfected, along with the buses that shuttle passengers from Orlando to the port.

There are no plans to cancel any scheduled cruises aboard the Magic, Jaronski said.

The Disney announcement came on the same day the troubled Holland America Line cruise ship Amsterdam returned to port, awaiting top-to-bottom scouring after more than 500 people caught a contagious stomach virus on four separate voyages.

The Amsterdam will remain in port indefinitely. A trip scheduled to depart Thursday night was canceled so officials can conduct a thorough 10-day cleaning.

Holland America officials said 58 passengers and 18 crew members developed symptoms similar to the Norwalk-like virus during the 10-day voyage which ended Thursday. Eighty-seven of the ship's 1,305 passengers left the ship at varrious ports in the Caribbean and were flown home.

Sick passengers aboard the Disney ship will be offered compensation, Jaronski said. Those scheduled to depart on the Magic Saturday will be offered a full refund or alternate vacation should they choose to amend their plans, he said.

"The plans right now are to sail again on Saturday, but in the end, we're going to do what's right for our guests," Jaronski said.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter