Disney just isn't fun anymore

Maybe take a Disney "break" and then next time take a more laid back approach to planning? Because I agree, the amount of planning is frustrating and time comsuming. But I try to reign myself in and just do what I can without driving myself nuts. So what if I don't get that FP or reservation? I also try to keep in mind that no vacation will ever be 100% perfect.

Enjoy Myrtle Beach--it's always exciting to try somewhere new!

When was this ever the case? Even when the Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 it was mobbed and they ran out of food and drinks.

If your definition of leisurely time is just walking around and not going on any of the rides or spending most of the day waiting in long lines, then I suppose you could still have a leisurely time without any planning.

For at least 30 years WDW has required some amount of planning. Paper fast passes were used overwhelmingly by the super planners. The ones who showed up at the parks like a platoon commander sending their soldiers across the park to collect fast passes. In this way they were able to ride popular rides at least 5 to 1 compared to those who didn't really understand how to work the system. The new system which is not so new now, aims to provide a more egalitarian experience. But yes, it requires some amount of planning.

If I could change one thing about it, I would change the rule that your initial FastPass selections can only be in one park.

AND I was there. Imagine by late morning there is NO food and NO drinks and LOTS of lines. :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Never said that they weren't welcome to dislike Disney or express displeasure. Said it was strange to go on a Disney fan board to announce it. To what point? For folks to "talk them out of it"? Want to stop going, stop going. Don't announce it for all the "world" to see

As for not being able to sit down and dine without ADR 6 months in advance, rubbish.

Can I get an amen??

Dramatic exits on the Internet just kill me dead.

I love it all!!:mickeyjum The planning, the reading (Dis boards), countdowns; small victories with each successful reservation/FP and I truly enjoy and appreciate when others share their holiday exoeriences. If something is no longer enjoyable, it is understandable to try something else.:earsboy:

Most people don't understand that if fastpass went away totally, lines would actually be much more manageable and quick for everyone involved. As it is, with two lines feeding in, it creates more wait time than is worth.

My son and I once rode Pirates on stand by. After a 40 minute wait, we were the right at junction of the FP and stand by entrances controlled by the CM. After 5 minutes of waiting, I started counting how many FP riders she let on before us. I stopped at 250, and that doesn't count the folks she waved through before and after I started and stopped counting! FWIW, I like the FP system, but after my experience and other experiences by other people, I believe that it could be managed by the CMs a lot better than it currently is.

I once remarked tongue and cheek that going to Disney for us was like preparing for a military campaign! The level of planning and logistics involved easily surpasses what we have to do for any other vacation. But, my wife and I are planners, so we don't mind. It does take about 3 months after our trip before we are willing to go through all that effort again and want to go back to WDW.

OP, would it be possible to let someone else do the planning, and you just kick back and enjoy the trip?

Is it just me or is Disney losing it's appeal? It seems that to now book a trip requires so much more work than it it is worth. Whatever happened to just going to one of the parks and having a leisurely time? Now instead of just inserting your Key to the Kingdom card and receiving a fast pass, you have to try....try to book one months in advance.

Yeah, it was so much more fun to trek all the way across the park to get a FP for a favorite ride and find out that the first available time was 8 hours from now, or worse, not possible for that day.

I was lucky enough to be part of the test, where we could both book FPs and pull paper ones in the park. THAT was great! Too bad they couldn't make a blended system like that work.

Just not enough capacity. I could have my timeline wrong, but wasn't it in the midst of testing that tiering was born?

Not at all. Having the ability to plan ahead makes it a much more enjoyable experience. I just got back from 5 days and was able to ride (just about) everything I wanted to and ate at the places of my choice only because I could plan ahead. Plus I never waited more than 30 minutes for any one ride. If its too overwhelming either don't go or accept the consequences of winging it.

I love it all!!:mickeyjum The planning, the reading (Dis boards), countdowns; small victories with each successful reservation/FP and I truly enjoy and appreciate when others share their holiday exoeriences. If something is no longer enjoyable, it is understandable to try something else.:earsboy:

So true, as the plan develops :surfweb: and you start getting what you're hoping for it does feel like little victory's! Last week we got a wait-list request at Beach Club filled and the family literally broke into a touchdown dance :woohoo: Personally, I love having three ride reservations a day and knowing I have great ADR's lined up! Dining is my favorite part of vacation! :o

Just not enough capacity. I could have my timeline wrong, but wasn't it in the midst of testing that tiering was born?
2013? Then the FP+ only in 2014? I think that is when the tiering was being adjusted and paper FP went away- I was the fortunate recipient of a "glitch" when tiering changed or started at Epcot and had Soarin and TT FP for same day:p

Can I get an amen??

Dramatic exits on the Internet just kill me dead.

I propose a new abbreviation: YADE, or Yet Another Disney Exit. A sister abbreviation to YAGE- Yet Another Grand Exit.

OP, you are not the first nor last to say something like this, but honestly, we only plan so much because we want to. Once we're actually there our plans often go out of the window.

I propose a new abbreviation: YADE, or Yet Another Disney Exit. A sister abbreviation to YAGE- Yet Another Grand Exit.

OP, you are not the first nor last to say something like this, but honestly, we only plan so much because we want to. Once we're actually there our plans often go out of the window.
Unless our plans actually work.:thumbsup2

My parents, especially my dad, feel just like you do OP. That's why I do all of the planning for our trips. They think the parks are overcrowded (can't disagree with them there) and that you shouldn't have to make fast passes or meal reservations. I on the other hand enjoy the planning process almost as much as the trip itself. :)

My parents, especially my dad, feel just like you do OP. That's why I do all of the planning for our trips. They think the parks are overcrowded (can't disagree with them there) and that you shouldn't have to make fast passes or meal reservations. I on the other hand enjoy the planning process almost as much as the trip itself. :)
But you do and that makes it a pleasant trip. I travel outside of Disney and always plan it out. Granted you don't need to plan FP but you do need to plan ADRs if you want to call them that and also need to secure rooming. The days of traveling the country and checking into a motel with a "vacancy" sign are long gone.

If you don't enjoy or want to plan you're going to get what you get. If you want to ensure a pleasant vacation experience,regardless of where it is, you need to plan ahead.

Seems rather silly to come to a Disney fan board to post that you no longer like Disney and are going elsewhere.

In the future we will likely do a Disney trip but without all the planning.....just make hotel reservations and take it as it comes. Most of our enjoyment comes from just wandering the parks, people watching, and just enjoying the atmosphere. I knew some people would disagree with what we posted but I am amazed how a few seemed offended by it. God forbid anyone should say anything negative about Disney. So AngiTN I posted my thoughts here because I can Are negative comments not allowed here? Negative comments about your experiences can be helpful to others in their planning too. I have posted very positive comments in the past and hopefully will again. And if I have a bad experience I will post them as well. And if you don't approve.....oh well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!