Disney just isn't fun anymore

Never said that they weren't welcome to dislike Disney or express displeasure. Said it was strange to go on a Disney fan board to announce it. To what point? For folks to "talk them out of it"? Want to stop going, stop going. Don't announce it for all the "world" to see

As for not being able to sit down and dine without ADR 6 months in advance, rubbish.
It's a message board, not an apologist board.
Personally I like hearing all sides, not just that everything is perfect and Disney can do no wrong.
If folks didn't express things like the OP, that's all this board would be... a big rose colored glasses Disney fest.

And the restaurant ressie six month rubbish thing....
You are correct as long as you're willing to be semi obsessive checking availability everyday. That's not feasible for many.

MG

We get double hosed as locals.

Can we book an onsite room a year in advance and have all the same booking windows as anyone else?? Yes. Is it practical? No.
We do not take our annual vacation to WDW and stay onsite when we live 20 minutes down the road.
That said, almost every weekend we try to have dinner somewhere on property. ADR's can be very difficult to get at certain places.
Fast passes, same thing.

Imagine your favorite local restaurant that you can never eat at because someone that lives 1000 miles away booked it solid six months ago.
Yup, this futuristic planning is for the birds.

MG

Can we book an onsite room a year in advance and have all the same booking windows as anyone else?? Yes. Is it practical? No.
We do not take our annual vacation to WDW and stay onsite when we live 20 minutes down the road.
That said, almost every weekend we try to have dinner somewhere on property. ADR's can be very difficult to get at certain places.
Fast passes, same thing.

Imagine your favorite local restaurant that you can never eat at because someone that lives 1000 miles away booked it solid six months ago.

MG

Are you flexible about where/when you eat? I'm just curious as the only place I really couldn't get a reservation at was le celliers. Would have thought that if you lived that close, eventually you'd get lucky.

It's a message board, not an apologist board.
Personally I like hearing all sides, not just that everything is perfect and Disney can do no wrong.
If folks didn't express things like the OP, that's all this board would be... a big rose colored glasses Disney fest.

You are correct as long as you're willing to be semi obsessive checking availability everyday. That's not feasible for many.

MG

Posting just to say "goodbye Disney" seems pointless if not an exercise in pot stirring. Why post otherwise?

In the future we will likely do a Disney trip but without all the planning.....just make hotel reservations and take it as it comes. Most of our enjoyment comes from just wandering the parks, people watching, and just enjoying the atmosphere. I knew some people would disagree with what we posted but I am amazed how a few seemed offended by it. God forbid anyone should say anything negative about Disney. So AngiTN I posted my thoughts here because I can Are negative comments not allowed here? Negative comments about your experiences can be helpful to others in their planning too. I have posted very positive comments in the past and hopefully will again. And if I have a bad experience I will post them as well. And if you don't approve.....oh well!
Negative comments are fine, welcome and needed. Never said otherwise. It's the "goodbye cruel world (in this case Disneyworld) posts that are a tad dramatic. Post your comments that you found unpleasant, that's constructive. I guess that's it, I find constructive critical reviews useful and to be learned from. Just post what you disliked/didn't work for you and go. No announcement required

But by all means, post your negative reviews, post that you are done and no longer going. My approval is not needed by anyone. But also be prepared to be told it's silly to post an announcement that you are leaving. Negative comments are not silly. There is the difference

MG

Fast passes, same thing.

MG
No, it does not take obsessive searching for an ADR. We never make ADR earlier than the day before we plan to eat, usually the day of. We check once and find something. It's not hard at all and there are a lot of options. So even those who drive up for the day can find plenty of places to eat. Without obsessive checking

Posting just to say "goodbye Disney" seems pointless if not an exercise in pot stirring. Why post otherwise?

Exactly. The OP's first post came across as pot stirring, not just negative reviews. Those are great assets

Last edited:

Negative comments are fine, welcome and needed. Never said otherwise. It's the "goodbye cruel world (in this case Disneyworld) posts that are a tad dramatic. Post your comments that you found unpleasant, that's constructive. I guess that's it, I find constructive critical reviews useful and to be learned from. Just post what you disliked/didn't work for you and go. No announcement required

But by all means, post your negative reviews, post that you are done and no longer going. My approval is not needed by anyone. But also be prepared to be told it's silly to post an annoucement that you are leaving. Not silly that is

No, it does not take obsessive searching for an ADR. We never make ADR earlier than the day before we plan to eat, usually the day of. We check once and find something. It's not hard at all and there are a lot of options. So even those who drive up for the day can find plenty of places to eat. Without obsessive checking

Exactly. The OP's first post came across as pot stirring, not just negative reviews. Those are great assets
I'm happy you have had better luck with dinner ADRs than we have.
We can be flexible, but when you live locally it's more like "do you want to go out for dinner tonight?? Yes, I've been dying for 'Ohana."
We have gotten that allusive ressie a time or two, but it's more than rare.

MG

Are you flexible about where/when you eat? I'm just curious as the only place I really couldn't get a reservation at was le celliers. Would have thought that if you lived that close, eventually you'd get lucky.
Perhaps it's just us, but when choosing a local restaurant we decide by what we feel like at that moment. I do understand how that's different when planning several months ahead, but when you want a steak you want a steak. Yachtsman or possibly Shulas better have a ressie!!!

MG

I'm happy you have had better luck with dinner ADRs than we have.
We can be flexible, but when you live locally it's more like "do you want to go out for dinner tonight?? Yes, I've been dying for 'Ohana."
We have gotten that allusive ressie a time or two, but it's more than rare.

MG

That's not just exclusive to Disney though. There see many great restaurants I love to eat at in NYC but unless I plan ar least a couple weeks out (when most of them take their dinning reservations) I'm not getting in. They aren't even tourist areas. Heck the two best places to get weekend brunch I still haven't gotten to go to even though my fiancé raves about them because everytime we try to wait is 1 to 2 hours and well I'd rather go eat at the dinner two blocks over then wait that long. Some people will but not me. Other places that I love may only have a last seating reservarion even a week out or none at all.

OP I'm sorry you feel like trips aren't worth it any more. Disney has changed a lot even especially in the last 10 years. Going somewhere else is probably best for your family because vacations should be somewhere you still enjoy.

That's not just exclusive to Disney though. There see many great restaurants I love to eat at in NYC but unless I plan ar least a couple weeks out (when most of them take their dinning reservations) I'm not getting in. They aren't even tourist areas. Heck the two best places to get weekend brunch I still haven't gotten to go to even though my fiancé raves about them because everytime we try to wait is 1 to 2 hours and well I'd rather go eat at the dinner two blocks over then wait that long. Some people will but not me. Other places that I love may only have a last seating reservarion even a week out or none at all.
I have no doubt that's true. That said, I'm not familiar with making ressies at upscale NYC eateries. Do they take reservations six months in advance? If you are staying at a hotel within city limits do you get the plus 10 days??
Okay, somewhat joking onnthe last one, but you get my point.

MG

I have no doubt that's true. That said, I'm not familiar with making ressies at upscale NYC eateries. Do they take reservations six months in advance? If you are staying at a hotel within city limits do you get the plus 10 days??

MG
In a lot of cases the answer is yes. I live close to Chicago and it's very difficult to get a reservation at the popular restaurants. It's not uncommon to need to reserve months in advance. Not quite the same thing but Hamilton is in town and the soonest I could get tickets for is August. If something is in demand you need to be prepared to make arrangements ahead of time if you want a reasonable chance of attending. The fact that you live in close proximity is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

In a lot of cases the answer is yes. I live close to Chicago and it's very difficult to get a reservation at the popular restaurants. It's not uncommon to need to reserve months in advance. Not quite the same thing but Hamilton is in town and the soonest I could get tickets for is August. If something is in demand you need to be prepared to make arrangements ahead of time if you want a reasonable chance of attending. The fact that you live in close proximity is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
It is not irrelevant. One of the OPs gripes was the need for ADRs months in advance and no more walk up ressies.
Totally in line IMO.

MG

MG

Some places do and others only do 2 weeks in advance but book solid with in 5 minutes of the 2 week block dropping. Again I think this isn't just a Disney issue but happens in a lot of destination type cities. Tonight if I wanted to eat at the place that ahs my facorite chicken I couldn't get in. The rest of the week only has 10pm reservations. They book in 1 month blocks. Every week except the last week of the month block only has that 10pm slot open.

Some places do and others only do 2 weeks in advance but book solid with in 5 minutes of the 2 week block dropping. Again I think this isn't just a Disney issue but happens in a lot of destination type cities. Tonight if I wanted to eat at the place that ahs my facorite chicken I couldn't get in. The rest of the week only has 10pm reservations. They book in 1 month blocks. Every week except the last week of the month block only has that 10pm slot open.
I'm sure you're right about that. Even so, two weeks ahead for a ressie is a reasonable timeframe.
I doubt I would be able to get 'Ohana even 180 days out because I'm not staying on site.

MG

Old Disney vs New Disney!

Thankfully I did a LOT of research and was the Disney Planner for the family, and realized this difference within weeks of starting my plans. This made me the least favorite person when I pushed for people's preferences. My family likes to be spontaneous. Disney CANNOT be spontaneous. Or what my family considers spontaneous.

They were expecting walk-on rides, walk-in seating at table-service restaurants, no waiting for anything, extra accommodations for seniors, the list of entitlements goes on and on...
They were horrified and prepared to ditch meeting up at Disney when they found out $100+ tickets for ONE park for ONE day, the price of the wheelchair rentals, we had to make reservations for any sit-down restaurant, there wasn't a way to eliminate waiting in line even with DAS, there weren't places to buy beer every ten feet.... oh man.... I could go on and on...

Of course, I had to put into perspective that these old folks hadn't seen WDW since the early '70's and were obviously unprepared for the slobbering, greedy mess of consumerism that WDW is now.
I mean, when your family album looks like the thread, "No Longer At...." https://www.disboards.com/threads/pictures-of-things-no-longer-seen-at-wdw.3382698/
I guess you'd be disappointed...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter