Disney Magic 12 nt. British Isles Cruise 2017

Day 2 – London
Sat. July 8, 2017

Finished Tour / Hotel Return
(weather – sunny high 77 °F / 25 °C)

A strange journey to the Underground

It’s now 2:50 pm and we’re headed back to the Coach Parking lot.

View attachment 273233

Mini street map of surrounding area

View attachment 273189

Here's the distance from our coach parking lot to the castle.
(Rail bridge to Windsor Centre Station to the right, which should help gauge the height of the platform we were climbing to - or using the lift)

View attachment 273234

One of the things I liked about this parking area was that by walking up a few flights of steps, the pedestrian access points meet the castle entrance at a far less incline compared to the long uphill climbs at so many other sites. (getting dropped off by bus or taxi right in town is even better)

Example:

Castle Hill at the Visitor Entry point looking back toward High Street. (very gradual incline toward the castle right at the center of town)

View attachment 273188

Unfortunately, with so little time, this was all we managed to purchase from the Castle gift shop:

WC Crest Hand Towel £15.95 / WC Aerial Jumbo £1.00 = Total £16.95
(£2.83 VAT included in total)

View attachment 273237

This tour has officially come to a close. Time to get back.

A few things begin to happen simultaneously:
  1. JQ is trying to get in touch with the Disney rep who should be in the Sofitel lobby today checking guests in for the DCL transfers to Dover tomorrow. (this was the reason we opted not to stay in Windsor)
  2. Charlotte (our guide) along with our driver are being made aware of the road closures and traffic problems due to the Pride in London Parade this afternoon.
But we're not really paying attention to Charlotte, because we’re on the phone with guest services waiting to be transferred to the DCL hospitality desk.

And since we’re not listening, we’re not grasping what’s going on with the return drop off points for this tour.

JQ begins speaking with the Disney rep. voicing concern that we might not return to the Sofitel before 5pm, since it’s now 3pm and we’re just leaving Windsor.

He goes on to explain that the hotel concierge informed us Disney will only be set up today - from 9-5pm - to check in guests for the transfers, and they won’t return tomorrow on the day we sail.

Remember we’ve never done this before and have nothing to go on regarding how this whole process works.

So we wanted to go over a few things in case we missed the DCL rep – such as:
  • Given that we booked our hotel directly with the Sofitel, were we automatically accounted for on the DCL transfers list? If not, could she add us?
  • Can we check in now over the phone before she leaves for the day?
  • What are the instructions regarding the pickup procedure tomorrow?
The DCL rep happily tells JQ she’s surprised to be receiving a phone call at the Sofitel and that no one has ever called her there before.
She corrects the hotel, and assures him that she is always there both days – the day before and the day of the cruise, and that she won’t be leaving the Sofitel until 7pm tonight.

She confirms our names were on the list and there is an envelope for us with instructions. So drop by when we arrive back this evening.
If we happen to miss her tonight, this envelope will be delivered to our room and she'll be on hand when we cruise tomorrow to assist as well.

That's a relief. Well worth the phone call.

And here's JQ checking in with the DCL rep at the Sofitel and receiving his envelope.

View attachment 273236

View attachment 273235

A big plus for using Disney transfers!

Now back to Charlotte…………….

Our tour bus is well underway en route to London. We’re not far now. We notice our guide walking from guest to guest inquiring as to where they're headed home to.

When Charlotte gets to us, we tell her Sofitel - LHR Terminal 5 to which she replies, “you’re Earl’s Court.”
Earl’s Court? Wait. “No, we’re the Millennium Gloucester stop”. Charlotte repeats, “right. We’re dropping off at the Underground: LHR is Earl’s Court - Piccadilly Line.”

JQ says to me, “guess we’re taking the tube. Good thing the Disney rep is there ‘til 7.”

Omg!?!

Apparently, this is common practice with Evan Evans and we failed to read the fine print. They drop guests off at the closest rail/bus stop.
This can come as a surprise to a lot of guests and they've received several negative reviews about it. So be forewarned!!

Our group was given 3 Underground drop off pts: Blackhorse Road / Kings Cross / Earls Court

Remember this map? It might need to become your new best friend.

That map is a great tool to get a basic sense of where you are when names are casually dropped regarding areas in and around London.

I will tell you now, I was slightly panicked, feeling late to the game with getting dropped off at an unfamiliar rail station. Charlotte was talking pretty matter of fact with everyone, so I figured they must know something we didn't. I say nothing - hoping JQ is picking up on all this.

Being in this state of mind, I of course forget the name of our stop the minute Charlotte utters it and draw a blank trying to remember it as our bus rolls into town.

Blackhorse Rd is announced as the first stop.

I turn to JQ, "Blackhorse Road?....that's not our stop, right?"
JQ: No. that doesn't sound like it.
PI: "What!?! I thought you were registering the name? I have no clue."
JQ: Can't remember what she said.

bus pulls away

PI: "Quick!?! Think!?! We have to figure this out."
JQ: It's definitely not the first one. I'm pretty sure we're last
PI: "why not ask that guy? (pointing next to us). Maybe they have the same stop we do"
JQ: No. I'm not asking anyone. I'll know it when I hear it.

(yeah right. Like either of us could decipher Kings Cross vs Earls Court - we don't know London - we never got the chance to tour it)

Lucky for us, Charlotte does another walkthrough and repeats we're, Earl's Court - Piccadilly Line.
Thank you Charlotte! (we tipped her 10 pounds)

Honestly, you don't realize you have a great tour guide until the complete opposite shows up. (wait 'til we get to that guy)

We get dropped off in front of this hotel:

View attachment 273227

uh - this doesn't look like the tube station. Where are we??

View attachment 273228

Everybody crosses the intersection and keeps walking. We quickly follow.
(Didn't want a repeat of Heathrow airport with us winding up all alone.)

Down this mystery street
(Which I’ve since learned is Earl’s Court Blvd - so that's good)

View attachment 273229

JQ says he thinks he sees the tube entrance up ahead.

To be continued…………………..
Day 2 – London
Sat. July 8, 2017

A strange journey to the Underground

It’s now 2:50 pm and we’re headed back to the Coach Parking lot.

View attachment 273233

Mini street map of surrounding area

View attachment 273189

Here's the distance from our coach parking lot to the castle.
(Rail bridge to Windsor Centre Station to the right, which should help gauge the height of the platform we were climbing to - or using the lift)

View attachment 273234

One of the things I liked about this parking area was that by walking up a few flights of steps, the pedestrian access points meet the castle entrance at a far less incline compared to the long uphill climbs at so many other sites. (getting dropped off by bus or taxi right in town is even better)

Example:

Castle Hill at the Visitor Entry point looking back toward High Street. (very gradual incline toward the castle right at the center of town)

View attachment 273188

Unfortunately, with so little time, this was all we managed to purchase from the Castle gift shop:

WC Crest Hand Towel £15.95 / WC Aerial Jumbo £1.00 = Total £16.95
(£2.83 VAT included in total)

View attachment 273237

This tour has officially come to a close. Time to get back.

A few things begin to happen simultaneously:
  1. JQ is trying to get in touch with the Disney rep who should be in the Sofitel lobby today checking guests in for the DCL transfers to Dover tomorrow. (this was the reason we opted not to stay in Windsor)
  2. Charlotte (our guide) along with our driver are being made aware of the road closures and traffic problems due to the Pride in London Parade this afternoon.
But we're not really paying attention to Charlotte, because we’re on the phone with guest services waiting to be transferred to the DCL hospitality desk.

And since we’re not listening, we’re not grasping what’s going on with the return drop off points for this tour.

JQ begins speaking with the Disney rep. voicing concern that we might not return to the Sofitel before 5pm, since it’s now 3pm and we’re just leaving Windsor.

He goes on to explain that the hotel concierge informed us Disney will only be set up today - from 9-5pm - to check in guests for the transfers, and they won’t return tomorrow on the day we sail.

Remember we’ve never done this before and have nothing to go on regarding how this whole process works.

So we wanted to go over a few things in case we missed the DCL rep – such as:
  • Given that we booked our hotel directly with the Sofitel, were we automatically accounted for on the DCL transfers list? If not, could she add us?
  • Can we check in now over the phone before she leaves for the day?
  • What are the instructions regarding the pickup procedure tomorrow?
The DCL rep happily tells JQ she’s surprised to be receiving a phone call at the Sofitel and that no one has ever called her there before.
She corrects the hotel, and assures him that she is always there both days – the day before and the day of the cruise, and that she won’t be leaving the Sofitel until 7pm tonight.

She confirms our names were on the list and there is an envelope for us with instructions. So drop by when we arrive back this evening.
If we happen to miss her tonight, this envelope will be delivered to our room and she'll be on hand when we cruise tomorrow to assist as well.

That's a relief. Well worth the phone call.

And here's JQ checking in with the DCL rep at the Sofitel and receiving his envelope.

View attachment 273236

View attachment 273235

A big plus for using Disney transfers!

Now back to Charlotte…………….

Our tour bus is well underway en route to London. We’re not far now. We notice our guide walking from guest to guest inquiring as to where they're headed home to.

When Charlotte gets to us, we tell her Sofitel - LHR Terminal 5 to which she replies, “you’re Earl’s Court.”
Earl’s Court? Wait. “No, we’re the Millennium Gloucester stop”. Charlotte repeats, “right. We’re dropping off at the Underground: LHR is Earl’s Court - Piccadilly Line.”

JQ says to me, “guess we’re taking the tube. Good thing the Disney rep is there ‘til 7.”

Omg!?!

Apparently, this is common practice with Evan Evans and we failed to read the fine print. They drop guests off at the closest rail/bus stop.
This can come as a surprise to a lot of guests and they've received several negative reviews about it. So be forewarned!!

Our group was given 3 Underground drop off pts: Blackhorse Road / Kings Cross / Earls Court

Remember this map? It might need to become your new best friend.

That map is a great tool to get a basic sense of where you are when names are casually dropped regarding areas in and around London.

I will tell you now, I was slightly panicked, feeling late to the game with getting dropped off at an unfamiliar rail station. Charlotte was talking pretty matter of fact with everyone, so I figured they must know something we didn't. I say nothing - hoping JQ is picking up on all this.

Being in this state of mind, I of course forget the name of our stop the minute Charlotte utters it and draw a blank trying to remember it as our bus rolls into town.

Blackhorse Rd is announced as the first stop.

I turn to JQ, "Blackhorse Road?....that's not our stop, right?"
JQ: No. that doesn't sound like it.
PI: "What!?! I thought you were registering the name? I have no clue."
JQ: Can't remember what she said.

bus pulls away

PI: "Quick!?! Think!?! We have to figure this out."
JQ: It's definitely not the first one. I'm pretty sure we're last
PI: "why not ask that guy? (pointing next to us). Maybe they have the same stop we do"
JQ: No. I'm not asking anyone. I'll know it when I hear it.

(yeah right. Like either of us could decipher Kings Cross vs Earls Court - we don't know London - we never got the chance to tour it)

Lucky for us, Charlotte does another walkthrough and repeats we're, Earl's Court - Piccadilly Line.
Thank you Charlotte! (we tipped her 10 pounds)

Honestly, you don't realize you have a great tour guide until the complete opposite shows up. (wait 'til we get to that guy)

We get dropped off in front of this hotel:

View attachment 273227

uh - this doesn't look like the tube station. Where are we??

View attachment 273228

Everybody crosses the intersection and keeps walking. We quickly follow.
(Didn't want a repeat of Heathrow airport with us winding up all alone.)

Down this mystery street
(Which I’ve since learned is Earl’s Court Blvd - so that's good)

View attachment 273229

JQ says he thinks he sees the tube entrance up ahead.

To be continued…………………..

Again, thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us! :-) I'm confused though... the tour company wouldn't take you back to the Victoria Coach Station? I was hoping to use a tour guide that would pick up and drop off near the Victoria station since I plan to stay within walking distance.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us! :-) I'm confused though... the tour company wouldn't take you back to the Victoria Coach Station? I was hoping to use a tour guide that would pick up and drop off near the Victoria station since I plan to stay within walking distance.

@tlynk I am so glad you are bringing this up.

You are correct. Evan Evans does not drop their full day tour guests off at Victoria Coach Station - Only Morning Tours finish in either Trafalgar Square or Victoria.

This has to be one of our biggest learning curves with booking tours privately - including those during our cruise. Sometimes you forget you're in another country with the way the websites are set up and you conveniently book and pay and file it away once you receive an email confirmation.

What we failed to consider was that every one of these tour companies carries its' own unique set of logistics to get from the booking process to the actual tour.
(Busy Bus is the only exception)

So this is something you'll need to check into more when researching private tour companies.

Here's the Evan Evans official FAQ page: (ours was the Stonehenge at Sunrise tour)
https://evanevanstours.com/customer-support/faqs/

FAQs
Where can I get picked up for my tour?

Morning and Full day coach tours depart from Victoria Coach Station, Gates 1-5 at 8:45am. We also offer a courtesy morning pick up service and can collect you from or near to your hotel.

Click here for a list of hotel pick ups and times.

For afternoon tours, evening tours, Stonehenge at sunrise and rail tours, please see the tour description page for pick up details.

Where will I get dropped off at the end of my tour?

Our Morning tours finish in either Trafalgar Square or Victoria.

For our full day tours we offer convenient returns. Our guides will find out where everyone is staying in London, while on tour. Then they will plan a route through London that is convenient for you, or advise you how to take the Underground or Bus services back to your hotel.

What time will I return to London from our tour?

Morning tours finish no later than approximately 1.30pm.

All our full day coach based tours should be finished by no later than 7pm. Traffic permitting.

Our train tours return between 8pm and 10pm.

What's included?

We include all entrance fees as stated on the tour page.

What's not included?

We do not include lunch. This is so you can make the most for your time. Our guides will give you suggestions on what is available for lunch.

• Gratuities to guide and driver
  • Personal Items
  • Travel to and from Stations and your chosen pick up point.
Do your buses have toilets on board?

Unfortunately no. However, we do make regular stops, no more than 2 hours apart at most.

Can I take my luggage on tour with me?

If you need to take your luggage with you, then we can put this on the bus for you. There is also left luggage at Victoria Coach Station.

What if I need to cancel my tour?

Coach Tours (full and half day): a refund will be made up to 24 hours prior to tour departure.

Rail Tours and Attraction tickets: once booked, tickets are not refundable.

Can I make amendments to my booking?

We can make amendments up to departure time for coach based tours only.

You can email us quoting your booking reference and giving us the details for the changes you wish to make.

If I lose something on tour can I get it back?

We will make every effort to get your lost property back to you. We may ask you to pay for any cost involved.

Are your tours suitable for wheelchair users?

We are able to take folding wheelchairs only on our buses.

And They did exactly what they described on that page when it came time to drop us off:

"For our full day tours we offer convenient returns. Our guides will find out where everyone is staying in London, while on tour. Then they will plan a route through London that is convenient for you, or advise you how to take the Underground or Bus services back to your hotel."

We just wrongly assumed pick up = drop off and never took the time to read through their website. So we were caught off guard when all this was happening in real time.

Plus, we had a very unique situation with the Pride in London parade - which ran from 1pm - 4:30pm on Sat July 8, 2017.

This was their parade route. (Basically running straight through Trafalgar Square.

pride-rainbow-route.jpg

London began rerouting traffic from as early as 6am that morning with the majority of closures at 11am.
(because our tour begins so early in the morning, Evan Evans easily bypasses all London city traffic at their various pick-up points with times between 5:00 - 5:30 am)

But by the time our coach had left Windsor at 3pm we were heading right into a major traffic situation with all the detours in and around London. (Black line on Map below)

If you look at the choices they gave for the final 2 Underground stops Kings Cross and Earl's Court - you can see how they drove away from the center of London. No way could they have gone toward the city attractions any further given the parade blockades. They wouldn't have been able to drop off at Victoria Station even if they wanted to with all the congestion.

prideinlondonmap.jpg

Pride in London is a major event.
With the parade as the big headliner.

Here is a really good write-up w/some excellent photos.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lon...n-for-biggest-ever-pride-parade-a3583271.html

"More than 26,000 people have taken to the streets, part of about 300 different groups, in the biggest march in the event's 45-year history.
The 1.4 mile route began at 1pm in Portland Place, and passed through Oxford Circus and Regent Street, before ending at Whitehall.

Meanwhile crowds of about 1 million people dressed up as a colourful procession of floats, performers and dance troupes made their way past some of the city's landmarks."

Hard to believe all this was going on and we had no idea. Would have loved to have checked it out. They had a big celebration on Sat.

Looking back, I believe this couple at the LHR baggage claim with us having just arrived in from Paris Friday night, may have been headed to the party.

DSC01781.JPG

Last edited:
I would have been in the same situation and assumed the tour would end at the same place it started. I'm glad to know this ahead of time now. :-)

We were staying in Trafalgar Square where the Pride Parade and Celebration took place! Honestly, while it was an inconvenience, it added to my enjoyment of the culture of the city of London!
It had a great energy! A ton of people dressed up, singing, drinking ... but I never felt in danger among the big crowds. Everyone seemed really happy! They even changed the cross walk lights to symbols (male/male, female/female, male/female) which I thought was really sweet!
We picked our hotel in Trafalgar so that we could walk to various tourist attractions from it, so since we weren't planning to drive the day of the Pride Celebration much anyways, so we didn't mind too much the street closures around our hotel. However, while walking to the West End Theater that night (which was our plan anyways, and only about a 10 minute walk from our hotel), my husband got a little overwhelmed by the crowds. So after we got out of the theater Saturday night, we took a sort of rickshaw (a bike with a cart) back to our hotel. It was pricey (30 pounds for the ride) but really, really fun! The driver was blasting music from the show Matilda (which is what we saw) and as he expertly weaved through the crowds on his bike, you couldn't wipe the smile off my face!
Our issue was the Sunday after the Pride celebration, when we were trying to get to the train station at St. Pancreas to take the train to Dover, we had planned on taking a cab to St. Pancreas Station. However, the streets around our hotel were again closed on Sunday due to a Marathon (as opposed to the Pride celebration which closed them on Saturday). Luckily a kind gentleman was getting off shift from our hotel and offered to drop us off at the train station. Otherwise we would have been walking several blocks with our bags!
So as for staying near Trafalgar Square -wonderful, wonderful location for site seeing (you can walk to the West End, Oxford Street shopping, Hyde Park, the London Eye, and many other places), but beware street closures!

If we go back we'll do the same as you. 2 days in London. I still have my list of 4 top things but this way we can really enjoy the time and incorporate some dining, shopping, and few more sights.

I highly recommend Windsor Castle, if you haven't seen it. What was that bus tour like? You covered a lot of country between England, Scotland and Wales. It must have been longer than 1 day.
It was 9 days as I recall, we flew the red eye, and no I didn't sleep at all. We got to the hotel hauling the luggage around 10:30am and were actually able to check in! I ended up taking a nap for about an hour then we had Buckingham Palace tickets and we went off to do that. In the end it worked out well, Buckingham Palace was wonderful, we walked a bunch then ended back at our hotel. We ate at the hotel that night, I was too tired to deal with anything else. And then I took a glorious soak in the tub, when I got up my husband had passed out in a chair! But by then next morning we were on London time and really had no problems the rest of the trip. The bus was okay, but having to set your luggage out each day at 7am got old. We did see a lot, but left us hungry for more. We loved just having our stuff on the ship and not having to pack again till the end. Windsor Castle is at the top of my list for this trip since we didn't get to see it. We did do the Gatwick express both ways it was really pretty easy and I would do that again. So I guess I could do the Dover Express as well.

I would have been in the same situation and assumed the tour would end at the same place it started. I'm glad to know this ahead of time now. :-)

So true. This was one of many wrong assumptions on this trip. Had we known, things may have played out differently with where we chose to get dropped off. But that's easy to say after the fact now. You'll see what I mean when I describe our ride on the tube.

We were staying in Trafalgar Square where the Pride Parade and Celebration took place! Honestly, while it was an inconvenience, it added to my enjoyment of the culture of the city of London!
It had a great energy! A ton of people dressed up, singing, drinking ... but I never felt in danger among the big crowds. Everyone seemed really happy! They even changed the cross walk lights to symbols (male/male, female/female, male/female) which I thought was really sweet!
We picked our hotel in Trafalgar so that we could walk to various tourist attractions from it, so since we weren't planning to drive the day of the Pride Celebration much anyways, so we didn't mind too much the street closures around our hotel. However, while walking to the West End Theater that night (which was our plan anyways, and only about a 10 minute walk from our hotel), my husband got a little overwhelmed by the crowds. So after we got out of the theater Saturday night, we took a sort of rickshaw (a bike with a cart) back to our hotel. It was pricey (30 pounds for the ride) but really, really fun! The driver was blasting music from the show Matilda (which is what we saw) and as he expertly weaved through the crowds on his bike, you couldn't wipe the smile off my face!
Our issue was the Sunday after the Pride celebration, when we were trying to get to the train station at St. Pancreas to take the train to Dover, we had planned on taking a cab to St. Pancreas Station. However, the streets around our hotel were again closed on Sunday due to a Marathon (as opposed to the Pride celebration which closed them on Saturday). Luckily a kind gentleman was getting off shift from our hotel and offered to drop us off at the train station. Otherwise we would have been walking several blocks with our bags!
So as for staying near Trafalgar Square -wonderful, wonderful location for site seeing (you can walk to the West End, Oxford Street shopping, Hyde Park, the London Eye, and many other places), but beware street closures!

Pride in London looks like one party I would have loved to have seen. We were on the outskirts of the city that afternoon and really had no idea what was going on.

Glad you got to catch some of the celebration. You guys really were in the heart of it all. Trafalgar Square looks like a good location to get to and from a lot of London attractions.

Love the rickshaw story. I'm guessing you were a couple miles from the West End Theater. Who feels like walking that far contending with record crowds at the end of a very long day of sightseeing in London. Great idea to hop a ride.

I'm thinking you may have had a dual problem on Sunday. The street closures being one and the time of the morning being another.
There was no 24hr cab service conveniently waiting outside our hotel. Add it to the list of wrong assumptions we made on the trip.

It was 9 days as I recall, we flew the red eye, and no I didn't sleep at all. We got to the hotel hauling the luggage around 10:30am and were actually able to check in! I ended up taking a nap for about an hour then we had Buckingham Palace tickets and we went off to do that. In the end it worked out well, Buckingham Palace was wonderful, we walked a bunch then ended back at our hotel. We ate at the hotel that night, I was too tired to deal with anything else. And then I took a glorious soak in the tub, when I got up my husband had passed out in a chair! But by then next morning we were on London time and really had no problems the rest of the trip. The bus was okay, but having to set your luggage out each day at 7am got old. We did see a lot, but left us hungry for more. We loved just having our stuff on the ship and not having to pack again till the end. Windsor Castle is at the top of my list for this trip since we didn't get to see it. We did do the Gatwick express both ways it was really pretty easy and I would do that again. So I guess I could do the Dover Express as well.

I can picture you guys dealing with early am arrival - red eye/train/luggage/hotel/touring. A bath sounds perfect! We didn't get to use that nice tub in our room. Too bad.
There's just no best case scenario to minimize all the logistics when travelling to Europe from the US. As I said, we gave up a whole day in London by taking that early morning flight out of NYC. That really did work well for us.

Definitely would get old to have to set out luggage every morning. It's so great to just leave it all on the ship.

Totally agree, doesn't matter which way you choose to see the British Isles, we left hungry for more too.

Day 2 – London
Sat. July 8, 2017

A strange journey to the Underground continues........

So where were we? Right. Still in London.

Evan Evans just dropped the rest of us off right in the middle of a major roadway at NH Kensington Hotel.

And now we’re on foot looking for the Earl’s Court Underground station,

(This is actually where we are walking, which really isn’t that far once you retrace our steps)

earls court.jpg

Finally JQ notices a sign up ahead.

underground15.jpg

We arrive at Earl’s Court Station

Walk in – and this is what you’ll see

underground16.jpg

underground17.jpg

Welcome to London Transportation 102: Practice vs Theory

It's one thing to read about London's transport system. It's quite another to have it spontaneously thrown at you and be forced to use it.

We were completely unprepared for this.

Catching a commuter train is like participating in a fire drill. With everyone coming and going so fast, you can’t help but get caught up in a false sense of urgency.

5 things rush at us at once:

A: Where to?
B: Which ticket to buy?
C: What method of payment to use?
D: How to hop the right line?
E: Hurry – don’t miss the next train!

The last one - Letter E - was our biggest downfall. If you can eliminate that from dominating your thought process, you will manage the Underground successfully with ease and control.

If you can’t – you will make rookie mistakes like we did!

Ok. Let’s go ride the tube.

(I’ll address each area individually)

1. Where to?

No problem. (Charlotte already told us)

Earl’s Court to LHR = blue line (Piccadilly) on the tube map.

tube_map.gif.jpg

Map Legend:

Red Arrows - Evan Evans drop off locations
Red Star - London Heathrow Airport

Other points of interest:

Black Dots - Paddington and Victoria Stations
Home to the only 2 Airport Express Rail Lines specifically as follows:
  • Heathrow Express – nonstop service between Paddington & LHR
  • Gatwick Express – nonstop service between Victoria & Gatwick Airport
(remember: these trains do not accept the Oyster Card)

Orange Triangles - Location of the only 3 London trains to Dover
St Pancreas (the express speed rail) / Victoria (direct mon-sat) / Charing Cross to London Bridge

(trains to Dover Priory Station also do not accept the Oyster Card)

FYI: For anyone considering the train to Dover – (@JenTen1585 did this)

Here’s a helpful link: https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/dover_train.htm

With this easy to follow chart.

dover priory.png

That wasn’t too bad.

2. Which ticket to buy?

(This is where it starts to get complicated)

Every site_Every video_Every person - recommends you buy an Oyster Card or get the Visitor Oyster Card mailed in advance.

Put down a £5.00 refundable deposit and “top it off” with travel funds and you can tap and go all trip.

It’s easy to use / convenient / linked to multiple transportation options in and around London / and has a daily cap.

Even Rick Steves makes it all seem so simple

Plus - the fares charged on the Oyster are far cheaper than the cost of a daily paper ticket.

What’s not to love?

Take our trip for example: traveling Sat. July 8, 2017
Earl’s Court (zones 1 & 2) Piccadilly Line to LHR terminal 5 (zone 6)

Oyster -
Peak: £2.80 - Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900.
Off Peak: £1.50 - At all other times including public holidays.

vs.
Day Ticket (cash) - £5.90 – At any time.

So 3 tix on Sat. (for us) = £4.50 Oyster vs £17.70 cash.

Sounds like a no brainer. Save £13.20 and Get the Oyster card – right?

Not so fast.

Should we really commit to an Oyster card in our situation?

This will be the 1 and only time we will ever ride the tube and all we need is a 1 way trip back to LHR right now. We leave for a cruise in the morning, and immediately fly to NYC from Gatwick when we return back to Dover.

Answer: Not Necessarily

Ideally, and with proper planning, we would have avoided this whole Oyster card debate completely and hopped the Heathrow Express back from the Evan Evans tour.
Just pre-purchase one-way weekend tickets online 90 days in advance at a flat rate of £5.50/each and beeline back to the airport in 15 mins on an express rail.
All we had to do was talk Charlotte into dropping us at Paddington.

This would have been an independent ticket purchase for £16.50 (they don’t accept the Oyster card) and saved us more than a 45 min. commute on a regional rail.

Well worth the price.

But this only saves you money if you buy in advance. Otherwise, a last minute ticket runs £22.00/pp - each way.

Unfortunately, that never happened and we are not at Paddington Station.

We are at Earl’s Court

Standing in front of these ticket machines.

underground19.jpg

underground18.jpg

Faced with a 1+ hr commute ahead of us on the Piccadilly Line to get back to LHR, and having to decide between two purchase options:

Oyster Card or Day Ticket?

No time to figure which is better at this point, so we buy day tickets.

picadilly7.jpg

Which I’m sure makes no sense to anyone doing the math:

Option A: Oyster Card (3 adults)

3 x Oyster card (£5.00 deposit/card) £15.00
3 x pay as you go credit (£5.00 min/card) + £15.00

Amount paid at machine = £30.00

Deduct: Card Activity for our trip
3 x 1-way Earl’s Court to LHR (£1.50/ticket) = (£ 4.50) (offpeak /wknd)

Refund Due: Unused pay as you go funds + deposit on cards = £25.50 (£8.50/card)

Option B: Day (paper) Tickets

3 x 1-way Earl’s Court to LHR (£5.90 / ticket) = £17.70 Amount paid at machine

No Refund Due

So there it is. Proof we would definitely have saved £13.20 with the Oyster card - (£17.70 day ticket vs £4.50 oyster) Right?

Wrong.

The only way we save £13.20 is if we actually get the £25.50 on the cards refunded
The minute we fail to receive that money back, we will have wasted £12.30 more for Oyster cards vs. paper tickets. (£17.70 cash vs £30.00 Oyster)

Which is exactly why we bought paper tickets.

Article after article / video after video will keep telling you how to get the Oyster card_how to use the Oyster card_how to fund the Oyster card and so on.

Yet none of them tells you how to get the funds back once you’re done with the Oyster card.

That's probably because getting unused funds and deposit money refunded from an Oyster card is not as easy as you might think.

So Buyer Beware!

READ THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE

Oyster Card : How to get a refund - (last updated 25 April 2017)
https://www.toptiplondon.com/transport/tickets/oyster-card/oyster-card-refunds

Before you claim a refund, it’s worth bearing in mind that if you’ve used your Oyster card on a Pay as you go basis and it’s not loaded with a weekly Travelcard or bus pass then it’s transferable. And the money doesn’t expire so you can give it to a friend, relative or anyone else to use.

If you don’t know anyone who might want to use an Oyster or you don’t plan to return to London, you can get back any unused money.

Where to get a refund in London
If you’ve registered your Oyster card online with TfL, refunds are available online.

Once you get a refund you will longer be able to use the Oyster card.

£5 deposit and up to £10 of Pay as you go money
If you haven’t registered you card, your £5 deposit and up to £10 of Pay as you go money can be refunded at underground (tube) station ticket machines 48 hours after purchasing your card.

Oyster refunds at Heathrow airport
At Heathrow airport you can get a refund if you have £10 of pay as you go money or less on your card and your £5 deposit from:

• the ticket machines in Terminals 1,2,3 underground station
  • the ticket machines Terminal 4 underground station
  • the ticket office in Terminal 5 underground station. Refunds are not available from Heathrow Terminal 5 ticket machine
  • the Express train & underground ticket desk in Terminal 5 arrivals
The refund will be in cash.

If you have more than £10 of pay as you go money on your card, refunds might be available from the TfL Visitor Centre. This is just outside the Terminal 1,2 & 3 underground station. It’s open daily from 7am to 8.30pm.

If you paid for and topped up your Oyster with a credit or debit card, you can get a refund credited to your card instead of cash. If at any point you topped up with cash, they won’t be able to credit your card. The refund will be in cash.

It’s easy to walk to Terminal 2 or 3 from the Visitor Centre. If you’re leaving from Terminal 4 or 5, follow the signs for Heathrow Express and take the free train transfer.

Oyster refunds at Gatwick Airport
It’s not possible to get a refund on any Pay as you go money at Gatwick Airport. The £5 deposit is refundable at the National Rail desk near arrivals in the South Terminal (not the train station ticket offices).

How to get a refund after leaving London
If you can’t visit an underground station before you leave, contact TfL Customer Services on 0343 222 1234 (open daily 8am–8pm).

Or, send your Oyster card and photocopied proof of name and address to TfL:

Oyster Refunds
4th Floor
14 Pier Walk
North Greenwich
London
SE10 0ES

Refunds by post will be sent by cheque (£) or by bank transfer to your bank accounts (UK addresses only).

How to get a refund after leaving the UK
If you live outside the UK, it’s still possible to get a refund but you need to telephone TfL Customer services on +44 343 222 1234.

Last updated: 25 April 2017

Honestly, it’s a good thing we didn’t buy them. After reading the requirements on how to get the unused funds back, it’s clear we would have failed.

For us, the Oyster Card was not worth it.

Too many hurdles to overcome – particularly at the Heathrow airport.
(and Gatwick will only give you the deposit money back - no unused travel funds)

You can't use the ticket machines for Oyster refunds at Heathrow. Must visit the ticket windows during regular operating hours.

You must wait 48hrs from the issuance of the card to use a ticket machine for a refund.

The ticket machines dispense in coin. (which you can't exchange at a US bank)
You can’t get a check issued to the US.

You can't get a refund from a machine or ticket window if you have more than £10 of unused travel funds on the card. - you must call

And contacting TfL Customer Service comes with no guarantees, plus they charge a £5 administration fee to process a refund.

Again, not worth the time and effort here.

So you really have to weigh all the facts.

Paper Tickets it is!

___________________________________________________________________.

C. What method of payment to use?

(This is not necessarily a slam dunk either)

There was a discussion early on in our cruise meet thread about needing a pin number for credit cards with a chip in Europe.
@BadPinkTink confirmed that a “chip and pin” was required for card readers.

It starts here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...uise-from-dover.3515878/page-17#post-57677019

So this was a big concern for those of us from the US where pin numbers aren’t issued or required for credit card purchases. How do we use a credit card in the UK that doesn’t have a pin number?

The quick answer was: That a sales person knows how to handle US credit cards and can bypass the pin at the register.

But you could run into a situation where that option might not be available.

The best example given was at an automated ticket machine. What if using these machines becomes your only option because there isn’t a ticket window/agent on hand at that location?

And what if that particular location doesn't have the machines that accept bills (only coins)?

or what if you don't happen to have any UK cash on you and have to use your bank card?
And they all require a pin number to use that bank card?

Here's a really great article by Rick Steves regarding pin cards:
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/chip-pin-cards

The Low-Down on Chip-and-PIN Cards in Europe

When Europeans buy something with plastic, they insert their card, then type in their PIN.
By Rick Steves
Europe — and the rest of the world — uses a system for credit and debit cards that differs a bit from ours (yes, even from our new chip-embedded cards). This fact has caused some anxiety among American travelers, but really: Don't worry. While I've been inconvenienced a few times by self-service payment machines that wouldn't accept my old-style, magnetic-stripe card, it's never caused me any serious trouble. Any American card will work at hotels, restaurants, and shops as long as there's a cashier.

How chip-and-PIN cards work: European credit-card readers work on a chip-and-PIN verification system. To make a purchase, the cardholder inserts the card into a slot in the payment machine, then enters a PIN while the card stays in the slot. The chip inside the card authorizes the transaction; the cardholder doesn't sign a receipt. You've probably seen similar machines at home, as most major US banks now offer credit cards with chips.

How US chip cards are different: The chip cards being rolled out in the US are generally chip-and-signature cards, for which your signature verifies your identity. For the most part, American cards — especially ones with embedded chips — work fine in Europe. Since our cards are designed to work on a signature-verification system, some European card readers automatically generate a receipt for you to sign, just as you would at home. American chip-and-signature cards also work at plenty of self-service machines, including those in the Paris Métro and London Underground.

Tips for using your US card at payment terminals in Europe: Some payment machines may prompt you to enter your PIN. Because you might run into this, it's important to contact your bank well before your trip to request your card's PIN (if your bank says the PIN is only for cash withdrawals, ask for it anyway). Be sure to allow time to receive your PIN by mail.

Even armed with an chip card and a PIN, you may still hit some bumps in the road. US chip-and-signature cards are not configured for offline transactions (in which the card is securely validated without a real-time connection to the bank). This is a common hassle at unmanned payment terminals, such as Dutch train ticket machines, French toll plazas, and out-of-the-way Swiss gas stations.

If a self-service payment machine won't accept your card, look for a cashier nearby who can process your card manually. (For this reason, it's a good idea to allow a little extra time at train stations and the like, as staffed service windows almost always have longer lines than ticket machines.) Since most payment machines take cash, it's also smart to keep spare change handy in case there's no cashier nearby (for highway toll booths, parking garages, luggage lockers, bike-rental kiosks, etc.).

Drivers in particular need to be aware of potential problems when filling up at an unattended gas station, entering a parking garage, or exiting a toll road. Be prepared to move on to the next gas station if necessary (don't let your tank get too low, especially if driving at night or on a Sunday). In a pinch, you could ask a local if you can pay them cash to run a transaction on their card. When approaching a toll plaza, err on the easier (if slower) side by using the "cash only" lane.

Finding a true chip-and-PIN card: If you're concerned, ask if your bank offers a true chip-and-PIN card that will work at offline payment terminals. Andrews Federal Credit Union and the State Department Federal Credit Union offer these cards with low fees and are open to all US residents (though you may need to jump through a few hoops to join). Some banks may also offer true chip-and-PIN cards, but verify your card's status carefully to make sure it'll work offline (and that its overseas-transaction fees aren't unreasonable). For a helpful overview of US chip cards, see us-emv-cards.silk.co.

Turns out we were able to request pin numbers for our VISA credit cards (incl. Capital One), just in case we needed them. It took a few weeks to arrive by mail in secret so plan accordingly. We had them among our papers and kept them securely locked up in the safe at the Sofitel.

So of course we forget to grab them before we left for Stonehenge this morning.
And no - we did not memorize these pin numbers or record them in a smart phone.

There was 1 exception: American Express. They informed us that they only issue pin numbers for cash withdrawals on your card - which ours did not have.
We asked what to do in the event a pin was needed for an overseas purchase? They said to just use the 4 digit code on the front of the card.

Now that was easy to remember!

Sure enough we were prompted for a pin number to use our cc at the underground ticket machine. And the AMEX 4 digit number on the face of the card was accepted.

Here's a video showing that use of a bankcard at an underground ticket machine will require a pin. (note she’s topping up funds on an Oyster card here)

So make sure you have what you need to make bankcard purchases in the UK.

continued.....................

Last edited:
Following your trip report and I love the details you put in! It's so great you have a picture of the inside of Earl's Court Station because that's the nearest station to the house I rented for our trip next year. :)

I also have plans for a land trip to Scotland in 2019, so looking forward to the cruise part too!

Following your trip report and I love the details you put in! It's so great you have a picture of the inside of Earl's Court Station because that's the nearest station to the house I rented for our trip next year. :)

I also have plans for a land trip to Scotland in 2019, so looking forward to the cruise part too!

Thanks so much and welcome! You've got some great travel plans coming up. A land trip to Scotland sounds perfect. We were able to visit 3 Scotland ports so you've come to the right place to get a taste of the Scottish countryside. We'd love to go back.

Earl's Court was a really nice station. Very clean and easy to navigate with access to both the District and Piccadilly Lines. It was quiet on a late Saturday afternoon. We were fortunate to be there off peak.
You can really see the difference compared to the South Kensington Station Rick Steves walks into on his Oyster card video I posted.

I'll show a bit more in the next segment - and then it's off to the cruise.

What excellent and fantastic information!!! I wish your report existed before I went! Thank you for taking the time to do it!

What excellent and fantastic information!!! I wish your report existed before I went! Thank you for taking the time to do it!

Thanks. It's not easy to put visiting London into words that make sense. Would have loved to have read so much more on this beforehand too. Really hope it helps future cruisers.

Had we stayed in Trafalgar Square, we would have walked everywhere same as you. There's really not much need to bother with the tube from that location unless you have mobility issues or certain time or other constraints. Had you been on that Evan Evans tour, they would have dropped you guys at Kings Cross station and you may have been in a surprise situation like us.

But for anyone staying at Heathrow you can't avoid public transport unless you want to pay more. Much better to know the details regarding your options well ahead of time.

Day 2 – London
Sat. July 8, 2017

Tour drop off/London transport to Hotel

A strange journey to the Underground comes to an end.

Last Installment – then on to the cruise!

It’s 4:00 pm and we’re at Earl’s Court with Underground tickets in hand.
Time to find our train.

D: How to hop the right line?

Each London station is unique and Earl’s Court has its’ own distinction:
http://www.trainweb.org/districtdave/html/earls_court.html

"Earls Court is really the 'centre' of the District Line - it's even been referred to as the Crewe of the line! All of the line's trains go through here so it is the busiest station with four platforms used by the District Line - two eastbound and two westbound. At peak times a train is timetabled to go through each of the platforms about every three to five minutes.

As mentioned elsewhere, it is also a train crew depot and one of the major crew changeover points. Earls Court is also home of the Line's administrative offices and the control room is also located here which signals the whole of the line west of Tower Hill (with a few exceptions).

Additionally there are two platforms 'below ground' that are served by the Piccadilly Line."

But despite having access to both the Piccadilly and District Lines here, it wasn’t difficult at all to locate our train.

There are easy to follow signs in big print everywhere instructing you to the proper platform in the proper direction for your particular destination.

underground20.jpg

The District Lines were straight ahead - platforms 1 to 4.

underground22.jpg

and the Piccadilly line was accessed via lift to the right.

underground21.jpg

Signs as you exit the lift indicated which direction to go.
(no pic - sorry!)

Piccadilly line - Westbound platform to Heathrow
No problem.

Finally - time to ride the tube.
________________________________________________________________________________

E. Hurry! don’t miss the next train.

This is the exact mentality that led to several mistakes (on my part) from this point forward.

The minute we enter the westbound platform, a train arrives.
Flashing this name across the front & back:

(stock photo)

uxbridge sign.jpg

and this conversation ensues in a nano second:

PI: “OMG it’s the train” “hurry. before the doors close”
JQ: Hold on. It says Uxbridge.
PI: "probably the next stop. Quick - get on or we’ll miss it"

We all jump on.

Doors close. Train pulls away.

Nobody is talking because Londoners don’t talk on the tube.

JQ (the non-Londoner) pipes up: we’re on the wrong train
PI: (whispers back) “what?!?!”
JQ: Look. (points to the overhead map on the train)

picadilly5.jpg

I’m staring at it. I see the Piccadilly line branching off in two directions:

JQ: This train is going to Uxbridge – not Heathrow. We need to get off at the next stop.
PI: "Right"

Tube Lesson 1: don't assume that all trains for your line automatically end at your destination.
Some may have branches and Piccadilly Westbound is one of them.

So we exit at Barons Court.

picadilly3.jpg

Next train pulls up 2 mins. later, with this name flashing on the front.
(stock photo 2)

heathrow T 4.jpg

Heathrow. Great!

PI: "This one's Heathrow"
JQ: Wait it says Terminal 4, 123?
PI: "who cares? It’s Heathrow. We gotta go!"

We all get on.

15 minutes pass by with everyone riding in silence.

Meanwhile, this closed captioned announcement keeps playing over and over – changing stop after stop.

JQ (the non-Londoner) breaks protocol once again, leans over to me and says:

JQ: This is the wrong train
PI: "No way. It goes to Heathrow"
JQ: Look at that loop. This train will go in the direction of those arrows – to Terminal 4

(points to the Heathrow Terminal loop on the map)

heathrow loop.jpg

PI: "I don’t get it. Why doesn’t it go to 5 after 4?"
(still not grasping we’re on the wrong train)

JQ: Read what it says in red. It’s going to stop at 4 for up to 8 minutes, then loop back to terminals 1 2 and 3 and head back to London.
PI: "What the heck is it doing that for?"
JQ: Must be the tracks, but that’s where it’s going. We can’t get to Terminal 5 from this train.
PI: "This makes no sense. Then we have to get off at 4 and walk to 5"
JQ: No. There must be one that goes to 5. We need to switch trains before it gets to that loop.

At this point we aren't concerned about being quiet. We start to debate where to get off and settle on Hounslow West. Meanwhile another family overhears us and joins the discussion. They too are heading to Terminal 5. (so this must be a common mistake)

Everybody agrees to exit at Hounslow West. It was a 25 min ride from Barons Court to this station.

And now we notice these overhead signs. Terminal 5 is set to be the next train.

underground 5.jpg

We hop on and immediately hear the new announcement.

Finally we are in the right place!

Tube Lesson 2: There are 2 Piccadilly Westbound trains for Heathrow. 1 for Terminal 5 and a completely separate one specific to Terminal 4. Both go to Terminals 1 2&3.
So make sure you choose the right one. (JQ was smart to hesitate.)

It's 5:00 pm as we arrive at Heathrow Terminal 5. Felt great to be back.

underground 1.jpg

Up next: Goodbye London. Hello Dover.

Last edited:
Yes, sometimes I actually know what I'm talking about!

Who IS that lonely women sitting on the Baron's Court bench? You look like the "correct" train can't get there fast enough.

Although we made a few errors, the ride back to the hotel wasn't that bad. Maybe because we had a great cruise starting the next day.

its been really interesting reading about a first timers experience of London and the tube. I wish I could have met up with you guys in London, and made things easier for you.

Yes, sometimes I actually know what I'm talking about!

Who IS that lonely women sitting on the Baron's Court bench? You look like the "correct" train can't get there fast enough.

Although we made a few errors, the ride back to the hotel wasn't that bad. Maybe because we had a great cruise starting the next day.

You were right all along. I'll trust your instincts on that next trip overseas you're supposed to be booking.
btw - I was sitting there trying to look like I belonged. too obvious?

its been really interesting reading about a first timers experience of London and the tube. I wish I could have met up with you guys in London, and made things easier for you.

It was an interesting experience. Could have been a lot worse if we stayed on either of those trains. Would have been good to have an expert like yourself along.
But heck, we should be pros if we ever go back.

I feel the way about the London bus system! I can navigate the underground fairly competently (as in I love just riding it all day long...who needs museums or castles?) but in the light of day with buses...I'm a mess! Despite it all, sounds like you enjoyed your tour.

I feel the way about the London bus system! I can navigate the underground fairly competently (as in I love just riding it all day long...who needs museums or castles?) but in the light of day with buses...I'm a mess!

That was me before I lived in London. I used to visit regularly as my sister used to live there, and I only ever used the tube. When she left and I moved into her flat, that was one of my goals, to figure out the bus system and to know above ground just aswell as underground :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter