Disney Magic 12 nt. British Isles Cruise 2017

I’ll be honest. I did not do nearly enough homework before taking this cruise. Looking back, I regret that. I really should have taken the time to understand so many places we visited ahead of time
I am starting to read Stephen Ambrose book “D-Day” to try to prep for the trip next year, so good to know I am on the right track. I too have what I’d consider a very general knowledges about D-Day & want a better foundation.

The war time to today pics you included are amazing to compare. I’ve also read that the French in this area still very much appreciate Americans & others who were there, I’m anxious to see if you experienced any of that,

I am starting to read Stephen Ambrose book “D-Day” to try to prep for the trip next year, so good to know I am on the right track. I too have what I’d consider a very general knowledges about D-Day & want a better foundation.

The war time to today pics you included are amazing to compare. I’ve also read that the French in this area still very much appreciate Americans & others who were there, I’m anxious to see if you experienced any of that,

Poison Ivy, I wanted to pop on again and thank you for your beautiful trip report. The pictures - and detail - are just glorious!

And along the same lines as Mathmagicland's suggestion, I was going to enthusiastically recommend that you consider watching the miniseries Band of Brothers. It is based, in large part, on the above book. It focuses on one group's experience in the European theater during WWII, including D-Day and the liberation of France that followed. It is just superlative. And if you haven't seen Saving Private Ryan in a while, that would be another one to watch. My guess is that both of these fine movies will resonate even more with you now, after what you have seen on this excursion.

My grandfather was part of the "Big Red One" that invaded Omaha Beach. After hearing his stories my whole life, I can't wait to read about your visit to that spot, specifically. I hope to visit one day myself!

You might watch "The Longest Day" a John Wayne (and other big-name actors) movie about the invasion. It's "Hollywoodized", but a pretty good over-view of what happened.

I love it! I think it's wonderful to prepare before the trip and read about an area you are going to see ... but I think it is also just as good to get inspired after visiting a place and then read the history after and learn all about it after you return home. That was how I was at the Tower of London! I only knew vaguely what it was, but after seeing it, I researched it more after the fact.

Poison Ivy, I wanted to pop on again and thank you for your beautiful trip report. The pictures - and detail - are just glorious!

And along the same lines as Mathmagicland's suggestion, I was going to enthusiastically recommend that you consider watching the miniseries Band of Brothers. It is based, in large part, on the above book. It focuses on one group's experience in the European theater during WWII, including D-Day and the liberation of France that followed. It is just superlative. And if you haven't seen Saving Private Ryan in a while, that would be another one to watch. My guess is that both of these fine movies will resonate even more with you now, after what you have seen on this excursion.
I’ve got the Band of Brothers dvd set here from my dad, have been debating whether to watch it...but it sounds like I should so thanks for Your post!

You might watch "The Longest Day" a John Wayne (and other big-name actors) movie about the invasion. It's "Hollywoodized", but a pretty good over-view of what happened.
Thanks, I will check this one out too.

I'll have to visit the Normandy beaches one day. WWII fascinates me and I've seen many movies about D-Day. I definitely know what you mean about doing research before going, it can make a big difference when you don't really know what you're looking at or the history behind it. Since my European cruise isn't going to France, I'm thinking when we go back the following year we will stay a full week in France and rent a car and drive around. This will definitely be on our list of places to go.

I’ve got the Band of Brothers dvd set here from my dad, have been debating whether to watch it...but it sounds like I should so thanks for Your post!
Band of Brothers is amazing. The book is fantastic as well. My grandpa was a paratrooper during WWII and he said that Band of Brothers was VERY well done. He was in the 82nd, not 101st but said that a lot of the experiences were similar.

Yes, you are definitely on the right track. I really wish we had a better foundation when we were there. So if this report at the very least helps better introduce the area, I'll be happy.
Thanks for the tip on the Stephen Ambrose book. We will definitely check it out along with anything he may have written about the 3rd Army during WWII, where JQ's father served.

The French do very much appreciate the Allied forces in this area. You can see and feel that as an American everywhere you visit.

But in our case, and I can only speak personally, the French seemed to be all business when engaging with us - none of them spoke except to tell us the price when we asked "how much"?

But we made a rookie mistake as Americans here. We only spoke English and failed to address anyone properly in French.

For example, to apply any of these simple greetings, would have demonstrated a gesture of goodwill,

• Bonjour – Hello
  • Merci – Thank you!
  • Oui– Yes
  • Pardon – Excuse Me
  • S’il vous plait – Please
  • Au Revoir – Goodbye
Now to figure out the French term for "how much"? In any event, we will be much better equipped with proper etiquette next time!!

Thank you so much! I sincerely appreciate those kind words and am truly glad you are enjoying it. We loved so much about this trip and I hope it shines through.

It's funny you mention these films. JQ and I happened to re-watch Saving Private Ryan about a week ago with great interest and added appreciation for the war effort and tremendous sacrifices during this time in history. I remember seeing it in the theatre on full screen when it first came out and feeling so overwhelmed and utterly silenced with the Omaha beach scenes that I never watched it again - until now.

Band of Brothers is another film we've heard a lot about, but have never seen. Thanks for the recommendation. We plan to watch it this weekend.

My grandfather was part of the "Big Red One" that invaded Omaha Beach. After hearing his stories my whole life, I can't wait to read about your visit to that spot, specifically. I hope to visit one day myself!

Wow. That's incredible to learn about your grandfather, and I'm so grateful for his service. My grandfather wanted to enlist at the age of 34 back then but was told at his age he was better suited to remain a pressman for our local paper as it was vital to print news about the war.

Great suggestion. This happens to be another movie we've been talking about and plan to watch. May actually watch this one before Band of Brothers since it's older and more in line with the filmmaking of that time. JQ's favorite is Kelly's Heroes.

Speaking of The Longest Day - here's a trip down memory lane:

It's an old episode of To Tell the Truth: fast forward to the 15:54 mark for the 3rd and final guest John M. Steele

2019 Summer announced today...no 12 night BI :(! Looking at back to back 7 night western europe and 11 night norway/iceland.

Thanks for letting us know. Too bad no 12nt British Isles - and only the one 7nt BI. oh and no Croatia for the Med cruises either. Too bad again. Hope this changes. They are going back to Kirkwall though so that's progress.

Your b2b plans look amazing! 18 nights of cruising!! Very jealous. We hope to see Iceland someday, but it's lower on the list right now.

That's great you have the dvd set. We plan to watch it as well.

I'll have to visit the Normandy beaches one day. WWII fascinates me and I've seen many movies about D-Day. I definitely know what you mean about doing research before going, it can make a big difference when you don't really know what you're looking at or the history behind it. Since my European cruise isn't going to France, I'm thinking when we go back the following year we will stay a full week in France and rent a car and drive around. This will definitely be on our list of places to go.

Sounds like a great plan! You will not regret adding Normandy to your bucket list. IMO it's a must see for any visit to France.

Band of Brothers is amazing. The book is fantastic as well. My grandpa was a paratrooper during WWII and he said that Band of Brothers was VERY well done. He was in the 82nd, not 101st but said that a lot of the experiences were similar.
wow. How incredible for your grandpa as well and I'm so grateful for his service. JQ's father never spoke about the war when he returned and it remains a mystery for the family. He'd been gone long before that film was made but we often wonder if given time he would have shared more. They really are the greatest generation.

Last edited:
I did French in school, as did most UK and Irish people. Its amazing how much it comes back when I go to Disneyland Paris. The French, like most Europeans warm up once you try even the basics and will often smile and respond in English. Most Europeans are taught English in school and those who work in tourist areas may well be fluent English speakers but wont speak to you in English.

I did French in school, as did most UK and Irish people. Its amazing how much it comes back when I go to Disneyland Paris. The French, like most Europeans warm up once you try even the basics and will often smile and respond in English. Most Europeans are taught English in school and those who work in tourist areas may well be fluent English speakers but wont speak to you in English.

We fall way short in this area in the US schools.

But I'm glad to hear Europeans are receptive to tourists who at least try to address them in their language. France was the only country we visited on this cruise where English was not the primary language. Really wish I'd learned a bit of French beforehand. Oh well, hopefully next year!

Last edited:
Badpink, I think you should start holding French classes here on the Dis...how do you say "oh I'll definitely have another one of those baguettes!"
I did French in school, as did most UK and Irish people. Its amazing how much it comes back when I go to Disneyland Paris.

I too had years of French in school, Used to drive my son nuts when he was taking Spanish as he would ask in Spanish, I’d start to reply in Spanish but always ended up flipping to French! I will have to start dusting it off & practicing. JQ - I think it might be something like this -

s'il vous plaît je voudrais une autre baguette

@poison ivy

How much = Combien

com as in combine
bi as in bee
en
as in engage

Aha, Tres Bien ! Now the risk you run when asking someone how much in their native language is they are likely to answer that way. The French speak so fast it is hard for me to track the numbers. While it feels the French Canadians speak quick, I don't think they can hold a candle to the French but a smile and thank you go a long way.

When we were on the Rhine River Cruise, DD's experience was that if someone spoke to the shopkeepers in French they would switch to English. Since she wanted to practice her French, she would just smile and wait for French to be spoken...she apparently had some very nice conversations (sadly as a monoglot I have no idea what they said...maybe "my mother is the idiot who can't speak French?":rotfl:). In Montreal she would converse with locals as much as they would allow. Glad my insistence on her taking both French and Spanish is occasionally helpful :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter