Disney Movie Club?

spacecanada

DIS Veteran
Is it worth it?

How much are the BluRays (in Canada) after the initial sign up?

We're trying to replace some of our old VHS movies, almost all of which are Disney classics, and wonder if this will save us a few dollars or be pretty much the same price and getting them at the store (in the end).

I'm interested in what others have to say.

I am trying to figure this out, too. It seems like a good deal, but I can't say for sure until I know the price range for the Blu Rays.

I am also curious about how easy it is to cancel. My plan is to order all of the movies asap, and then cancel. Unless there is some advantage to not doing that.

Also, for the "featured movies", are they movies off of the current list, or other Disney movies? thanks!

I did some research online and it does seem worth it if you get your movies at the beginning. It continues to be beneficial if you hang onto the membership and get future movies when they become features. Someone said they will have double features for $20 or $25 as the feature, which makes each film $10 to $12.50. If you are in the market for a bunch of movies, it does seem to be worth it in the short term or the long run. We're upgrading all of our VHS, 95% of which are Disney, so I think we're going to give it a try.

It is not really worth it unless you buy the 4 movie commitment and then cancel. Finding how to call and cancel is an effort in itself, I don't think you'll find it in the monthly (sometimes twice a month) selection packets. If you you'll respond by mail or on-line to the selection, they'll send it you. The selection prices are usually about 20% higher than elsewhere with S&H, and they are all new releases or new editions. The 4 Movie commitment has to be met with full price selections. Discounted selections don't count.

I got a packet about this in the mail yesterday also. I'm not in Canada so I'm sure our prices are a bit different but in the fine print somewhere it said the regular Blu-ray price started at $29.99 for future shipments. Usually when movies are released you can get them on sale for around $24.99 or less at Costco or Target or whatever, so it does seem like it's not so great a deal after the initial freebies. Averaging out the free ones and the four minimum regular price would probably be worth it but not past that.

No idea for Canadian prices, but I just completed my obligation and for me, it was definitely worth it. We started out owning hardly any Disney titles, so this was a way for us to quickly and cheaply build our collection.

I found a promo code online (not sure if I'm allowed to link/post here?) where I could buy 5 Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs for $1, another in my initial order for like $11 I'm wanting to say, and then only have 2 more movies to buy at full price in the next 24 months.

I bought Mary Poppins ($29.95 plus shipping) and then I was also able to get Frozen to count as another title. It is a discounted pre-order, but the fine print on my page said it would count, so $24 something plus shipping.

It came out to like $9 and change per title.

I do plan to stay in the club and check out the monthly featured titles, as they can be good deals. I'll also be eligible for more discounts (supposedly) so I'm waiting to see what those might be.

No idea for Canadian prices, but I just completed my obligation and for me, it was definitely worth it. We started out owning hardly any Disney titles, so this was a way for us to quickly and cheaply build our collection.

I found a promo code online (not sure if I'm allowed to link/post here?) where I could buy 5 Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs for $1, another in my initial order for like $11 I'm wanting to say, and then only have 2 more movies to buy at full price in the next 24 months.

I bought Mary Poppins ($29.95 plus shipping) and then I was also able to get Frozen to count as another title. It is a discounted pre-order, but the fine print on my page said it would count, so $24 something plus shipping.

It came out to like $9 and change per title.

I do plan to stay in the club and check out the monthly featured titles, as they can be good deals. I'll also be eligible for more discounts (supposedly) so I'm waiting to see what those might be.

I would love to know that code...we are wanting to get a bunch of new movies for our upcoming trip to WDW.

I love the movie club! I joined last February and got 5 DVDs for $5, plus I'm a Movie Rewards member so I got 600 points for joining the movie club. I love Disney movies and I buy them often, so for me it works. I started on a DVD preferred plan and switched to Blu-rays when they offered me a Blu-ray for $5. I don't usually buy the featured movies I wait until there are two full price films I want and I use the buy one get one 50% off so it's as though both films are 25% off. They offer free shipping a lot an if you keep up with the emails there are always deals on little gifts or printable cards and such. I would recommend looking into the movie rewards if you decide to join the club; the two just go hand in hand.

Totally forgot to say that I you go to the movie rewards web page they usually have the 5 movie deal displayed on a banner. Good luck!

We did decide to join and have noticed that the prices are cheaper or equivalent to that in stores. With the discounts, and added shipping, we are still saving quite a bit on the movies we are ordering. The trick is to order multiple movies in one order to make the discounts and shipping still net you cheaper movies. Our VHS collection is slowly disappearing. Yay!

I know that this post is a few days old but I wanted to add that I just joined and think that it's a good deal. If you have a Disney Visa, there's a link to the club from the Disney Visa Rewards page once in your Chase account. There's a promo code..something like 5 movies for a $1 with the right to get another two (2) inexpensively, 1 of which counts towards your obligations. So I got 7 movies and a blanket (LOL!) for $21.90 and only have to buy 3 more over the next 2 years. If you buy the other 3 upfront in one order you'll save on S & H.

I think that it's a good way to get the kids familiar with more Disney characters, especially those at the character meals or featured in the attractions. I will put them in Easter Baskets and use as gifts over the next 9 months (we don't go to Disney until Nov).

I got some classic likes the Three Muskateers, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan, but I also go Monsters U, It's a Bug's Life, The Little Mermaid and Lilo & Stitch.

Now if I could only figure out how to get Disney Movie Rewards just for joining.....

Now if I could only figure out how to get Disney Movie Rewards just for joining.....

When we joined we were mailed a Disney Movie Club welcome package that included a Disney Movie Rewards code for joining the movie club! I think it was 150 points. Plus all of the points from the movies you will receive. Double bonus!

It is not really worth it unless you buy the 4 movie commitment and then cancel. Finding how to call and cancel is an effort in itself, I don't think you'll find it in the monthly (sometimes twice a month) selection packets. If you you'll respond by mail or on-line to the selection, they'll send it you. The selection prices are usually about 20% higher than elsewhere with S&H, and they are all new releases or new editions. The 4 Movie commitment has to be met with full price selections. Discounted selections don't count.

I got all my commitment titles and kept it. I find if I wait around for a featured title I want there are usually other new movies I need as well for the 50-60% that VIP members get. And with the featured title they ship free. Plus VIP members get to choose a pin too.

It's been a great deal for us...joined as Disney Visa cardholders and bought extra titles initially towards fulfilling our commitment. Pre-ordered both Frozen and the Pirate Fairy and both were delivered the day before they were even released. Through the rewards program I already have 2500 points just for entering movie titles we already own plus all the new ones, in addition to taking a few surveys and entering movie stubs. I'm on the watch now for Disney gift cards to be offered-we have enough points to redeem two $10 cards!

I love when they have their buy one get everything else 60% off sales. After you complete your requirement purchases, you become eligible for free pins, the VIP sales such as I mentioned, etc.
There is also the DMC Exclusives. Titles that are not for sale anywhere else unless you buy it second hand. Many of those titles are older made for TV films such as Polly, Polly Comin' Home, Johhny Shiloh, Tonka, etc. Some others are Goof Troop, Wizards Of Waverly Place: Wizards Vs. Vampires, Tale Spin, Gargoyles, etc.
I just placed an order for 11 items and only spent $111 - mostly on club exclusives (regular dvd, not blu-ray).

The club is not a deal if you are willing to buy used online for general titles. But if you utilize the club exclusives and the sales, it's not too bad.

This will be long, so I'm sorry in advance but I have info & someone may want it! :)

I recently joined as well and have to say I really like it. I saw an offer on the Disney Movie Rewards site & signed up via that link. You get 500 movie rewards points just for doing that.

Then, I received 5 BluRays for $5+ some fees and with those you get the codes for Disney Movie Rewards and when you register those get you points (as movies normally do). With all those points, I was able to order the Princess & the Frog Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital copy as a reward for free. :cool1:

You have to buy 5 DVDs or BluRays over 2 years as a commitment. But on the Movie Club site when you first sign up, you can also get a discounted movie that will count toward your 5. That said, your other BluRays have to be >$29.95.

The site will always have major discounts, but you have to pay full price to get the commitment stamp. That said, I was able to get the Jungle Book Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Diamond for $35 and then got a second BluRay (Oliver & Co.) at 1/2 price for $12.95. I couldn't order Oliver @ full price because it wouldn't count toward my commitment, but that 50% off was a good deal for me. And I already know I'll want Malificent :maleficen when it comes out, so I really only will have 2 to go to VIP.

Oh! And if you call the #, they will offer you discounts on new releases pre-orders that will still count toward your total. Once you fulfill your commitment, you get VIP status you get better deals (I don't know what those are - I'm not there yet. But the current member deal is $15 for BluRays.)

If you meet your commitment & think it's not worth it, you can cancel your membership by calling 1-800-382-4527. If you cancel before your commitment, they will charge you for the DVDs you received (per your agreement).

So, if you're a regular purchaser of Disney movies & you know you will buy them anyway, I think it's worth it. If you're on the fence & don't think you'll even make your commitment, it's probably not a good fit for you.

Hope this helps!

That said, your other BluRays have to be >$29.95. The site will always have major discounts, but you have to pay full price to get the commitment stamp.

No - the featured title of the month counts toward commitment and it is usually discounted.

Cheapest way to get the commitment titles done is to wait until a featured title appeals to you.

And since commitment titles count as full priced even when discounted you can get the month's discount on the additional movies you purchase with it.

No - the featured title of the month counts toward commitment and it is usually discounted.

Cheapest way to get the commitment titles done is to wait until a featured title appeals to you.

And since commitment titles count as full priced even when discounted you can get the month's discount on the additional movies you purchase with it.

This is what we've done as well and it's been great for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter