Disney Movie Collection?

webcreatrix

DIS Veteran
So... My kids are 12-26 now, but while the kids were growing up, I always had a huge Disney movie collection. It started 23 years ago with Beauty and the Beast on VHS when my oldest was 3. Then of course, those went by the wayside and we bought DVDs, but we've lost some along the way. Now, I'm going to be a gramma! If you were first starting or rebuilding a Disney movie collection today, what would you do? Blu-Ray? DVD? Amazon + Disney Movies Anywhere? I have some of all of the above now, but if I'm buying and building in earnest, what to do?

Graduated from VHS to DVD to Blu-Ray and now 4k.

So I've upgraded some of our favorites like Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, etc. And all the new stuff along with Pixar are already on Blu-Ray.

I still buy blu-rays and they usually have digital copy. In 2019 though Disney plans to launch their own streaming service, so you might want to see what that's like before investing heavily. If you do want to invest in discs, and plan to buy a lot, you might check out the Disney Movie Club.

Blu-ray's and DVD's (when the BR isn't available). I use the Disney Movie Club for mass orders and promotions, keeping my eye out for sales at other stores.

My philosophy is I will never be at the mercy of a streaming service, ever, for things I want to see. If a disc is on my shelf, it can never be taken away from me. I also don't have to worry about my internet connection.

I will never be at the mercy of a streaming service, ever, for things I want to see. If a disc is on my shelf, it can never be taken away from me. I also don't have to worry about my internet connection.

Jason makes a good point here. Today's kids and your grandchildren (Congrats on that by the way!) will rely on streaming for all their music/video needs. But Disney will likely add and delete titles from time to time and you could lose control of a treasured title. As BrianL pointed out, most of the current blu-ray releases come with digital codes so that's a great option. Not all Disney movies are on bluray, but a bluray player is backward compatible with dvds(and most dvds are pretty inexpensive these days.) Even if you wind up mostly using digital version on wireless devices, you'll always have the physical disc in the event of a tech failure. I will say that Disney streaming service could be very attractive for filling holes in titles not on disc, or for filling holes until you wish to buy them.

I have sooooo many formats of Disney movies that it's not even funny. I even started replacing the VHS with Blu-ray. I'm another weirdo who distrusts digital goods because the company can always revoke your right to view it.

Which of course leads to the fact that not all the Disney movies are on Blu-Ray yet, and some DVD copies are hard to find, too. And I have indeed worn out a few VHS tapes! But I do own most of the movies in at least one physical format or another...

So currently... unless we are watching the "behind the scenes" or bonus features with animators, the household everyday watching of Disney movies tends to be our digital copies that pre-date copyright protection.

Let me know when Disney releases the movies they'd like to forget about - I owe them some money for about 200 viewings of Song of the South... LOL Also I would like to upgrade my Black Cauldron VHS, thanks! The audio wasn't great when they released it, my copy is rather haggard now...

I would look at a mixture of Blu-Rays and the streaming service. If it's not too much the streaming service would be a great way to get access to many movies at once. But it can always be good to have hard copies as well to take on the go places or where/when you might not have a good connection to stream with. For hard copies I'd recmmend looking at second hand stores to find cheaperr copies (and things that might be back in the vault).

My DH brought up a good point about remote accessibility. If we already have a Chromecast device, then we already have a streaming service. :)

^ A lot of people around the internet are clamoring for a Blu ray release. It's one of the least recognized Disney animated films, which is sad.

My wife and I are building our collection. We buy the Blu-Ray versions when they're released and use Evernote to keep tabs on what we own.

Started with DVD, and moved to Blu-Ray when it was becoming more of the standard. Now own a 4K TV and 4K-Blu-Ray Player, and it seems Disney is just starting to adopt that format, so we will move to that. I almost never retroactively 'upgrade' something I have in an older version, as these players have all been backward compatible thus far, and I don't like buying the same thing twice. :) There will always be new movies to add to the collection. :)

As others have said, many come with digital versions. And many also come with multiple formats, too.

I love Disney Movie Club, and if you join usually you get 4 movies for a dollar (or something similar). Its a great way to get Blu Ray dvd with an online code. Also, you can pre-order new releases and usually get older movies for a low price.

Does the movie club offer vintage cartoons as well? There doesn't seem to have been much released since the collection tins from years ago.

Have you tried DMC? I heard my friends talk about it, his little daughter loves disney movies (Once she told me her favorite character is Queen Elsa from Disney's Frozen). If you use it properly or have a promo code, you can get your favorite disney movies at a decent price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!