Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes me an hour and fifteen minutes to drive to Disney from my home. While it would be possible for me to fly, it would be wildly impractical, time-wise and cost-wise. I pretty much have to have my car with me at Disney in order to get myself and my family there.

We have APs and take many day trips, but we prefer spending a night (or more) on property. We really enjoy the resorts. We've stayed in almost all of them. When I get the Disney "urge," I will often check and see what's available for that night, book a room, and surprise the kids. I do that probably 4 or 5 times a year. In this manner, I am procuring a room that was pretty definitely going to go untenanted that night if I had not paid for it. A win for Disney, and for me.

Disney has its flaws. I've noticed. The creme brulee at the patisserie has gotten more expensive at the same time it has gotten significantly smaller. Just a few years ago we enjoyed amazing evenings in the parks in January/February and September/October when crowds were so light it felt like we had the parks to ourselves. That NEVER happens anymore. Ride lines are longer because they don't run the full ride during slower times. But I've always seen Disney as a glass half-full. An $8 pretzel--well, a pretzel tastes so much better at Disney! A $300 character meal--with Mickey! Overwhelming crowds--so many people experiencing the Disney magic, yay! Overflowing trash cans--well, I'm only noticing this because the parks in general are so clean that it stands out in contrast. A horrible website with awful IT, incredibly uninformed phone CMs, someone who WORKS at Beach Club not being able to tell me where their laundry room is--welllll, not everything about Disney can be perfect. I rationalized, I justified, I made excuses, and I tolerated everything that was wrong with Disney because I truly loved everything that was right.

I can't rationalize the resort parking fee. I just can't find a way to make this ok. This is cognitive dissonance at its finest. I LOVE Disney, I want to continue to love Disney, but they're making it SO HARD! It's like being hit by a boyfriend you're crazy about. You want to excuse his behavior--it was just this one time, he'll never do it again, you must have made him really mad, he's just sensitive--because you love him so much, but he HIT you!

I'll still go to Disney. For now, anyway. We have reservations for 6 nights at the end of May. We'll still go. But I'll never pay for parking. And I'm afraid I won't be looking at Disney from a glass half-full perspective anymore. A $300 character meal will just be an overpriced, mediocre lunch with people dressed up in costumes--easy to pass that up. I don't care to add any more Disney t-shirts to my collection. I wouldn't say my love for Disney has gone, but the feeling has...changed. I had to call in to Disney on Tuesday to make some modifications and I was on hold listening to some Disney "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" music. I would usually hum along in the Disney spirit, but this time I just found it annoying and artificially cheerful. I went online to make some ADRs for our trip, but I ended up just saying forget it, I don't want to give Disney any more of my money. We'll still eat, but it won't be dessert parties and character meals.

I wrote an email and in return got a form letter that didn't even address my concerns. It made me feel even worse. I do think writing in is worthwhile, because while I don't think they're going to backtrack on this, it may give them pause before they initiate any more changes. "Time to raise prices? Uh, maybe not so soon after all the backlash about parking fees. Start charging resort fees? Uh, remember the fallout from the parking fees?" I don't want them to forget this anytime soon. I know I won't.

We won't be renewing our APs next year.

I have a question about parking....the dates of our upcoming trip will be when the parking fee's start. It says that DVC people don't need to pay....does that mean those who book through disney and use the DVC units still have to pay? Example: I am looking at a 1 bedroom unit through disney due to military discount. Will I still be charged parking?
If you booked before March 21, you will not have to pay parking fees. If you booked after March 21, you would have to pay the fees if you booked the room through Disney.

DVC members already "own" (lease) the property so charging them again to use it would be in violation of their purchase which is why they are exempt from the parking fee. If you are renting the room from Disney, you are staying as their guest and they can charge you whatever they want...which is what they are doing to everyone else. If you rent points to stay in a DVC unit, I don't believe you would be charged since that is still a reservation made with a member's points. If the owner of those points wants to charge you for parking, they certainly could...but would you choose to rent from them? You could...why not? What if all the owners decided to make it an "industry standard"? What a great way for DVC Members to recoup some money, huh?:rotfl2: "Rent from me for just $16/point...plus $20/night to park your car...cheaper than what Disney will charge you!"

After reading these replies, I find it funny people are willing to throw something they like/love over a parking fee.

I think this fable probably explains what is happening in the Disney boardrooms better than anything else.

"There was once a Countryman who possessed the most wonderful Goose you can imagine, for every day when he visited the nest, the Goose had laid a beautiful, glittering, golden egg.

The Countryman took the eggs to market and soon began to get rich. But it was not long before he grew impatient with the Goose because she gave him only a single golden egg a day. He was not getting rich fast enough.

Then one day, after he had finished counting his money, the idea came to him that he could get all the golden eggs at once by killing the Goose and cutting it open. But when the deed was done, not a single golden egg did he find, and his precious Goose was dead."​

I took a seminar in the 80's or 90's that was about customer service and repeat business. The seminar kept pointing to Disney as the example of how they manage to be profitable every year due to 87% (or 78% - I can never remember the exact statistic) repeat business. They were the industry leader in repeat business.

Lately - oh, maybe in the past five or 10 years - Disney has changed their model and they're now trying to get more and bigger golden eggs out of their geese so they can be richer today instead of profitable for the next 20 or 30 years. It would seem that Disney no longer cares about repeat business or longevity; they want ALL the golden eggs now. And, for the short term, it may work because there are still a lot of geese out there who are willing to continue laying these eggs for Disney.

But for many of us, this parking fee was the Countryman killing us and cutting us open. Disney may not miss our business today, tomorrow, or even next year. But I think five years from now they're going to be bringing in analysts and business managers trying to figure out why the profits have fallen off. Just ask Eisner. He was brought in for the same reason a few decades ago.

Those who don't learn from past lessons are doomed to repeat them.

Did you just book the trip yesterday or today? If you booked before yesterday, you’ll be exempt from the parking fees no matter what.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the answer to your specific question.

Disney is currently holding the reservation. I haven't put any money down cause I needed to talk to my husband. It was just something that popped in me head when i was scanning these boards.

I can't rationalize the resort parking fee. I just can't find a way to make this ok. This is cognitive dissonance at its finest. I LOVE Disney, I want to continue to love Disney, but they're making it SO HARD! It's like being hit by a boyfriend you're crazy about. You want to excuse his behavior--it was just this one time, he'll never do it again, you must have made him really mad, he's just sensitive--because you love him so much, but he HIT you!
THIS!!!! This is EXACTLY how I feel about this situation...

I love Disney....but how much more abuse can I stand before my eyes are opened and I realize that they really DO NOT CARE about their customers (yes CUSTOMERS, not guests) like they claim they do?? For a lot of people, this ridiculous parking fee was that eye-opener, that "slap in the face". The decline in overall service, the surging ticket prices, the influx of hard-ticketed events resulting in decreased park hours, the cuts in staffing...all of that was equivalent to repeated verbal abuse. Then the security checks started...now they were starting to cross a line...and then this parking fee? That was a kick in the crotch and really the final straw for a lot of people. Hopefully, this costs Disney, big time. I hope they see a swift and severe hit to their pocketbook. Unfortunately, I think that will have the opposite effect that we desire. I think it will result in further cuts and even MORE money grabs and more price increases...and it will get ugly.

It takes me an hour and fifteen minutes to drive to Disney from my home. While it would be possible for me to fly, it would be wildly impractical, time-wise and cost-wise. I pretty much have to have my car with me at Disney in order to get myself and my family there.

We have APs and take many day trips, but we prefer spending a night (or more) on property. We really enjoy the resorts. We've stayed in almost all of them. When I get the Disney "urge," I will often check and see what's available for that night, book a room, and surprise the kids. I do that probably 4 or 5 times a year. In this manner, I am procuring a room that was pretty definitely going to go untenanted that night if I had not paid for it. A win for Disney, and for me.

Disney has its flaws. I've noticed. The creme brulee at the patisserie has gotten more expensive at the same time it has gotten significantly smaller. Just a few years ago we enjoyed amazing evenings in the parks in January/February and September/October when crowds were so light it felt like we had the parks to ourselves. That NEVER happens anymore. Ride lines are longer because they don't run the full ride during slower times. But I've always seen Disney as a glass half-full. An $8 pretzel--well, a pretzel tastes so much better at Disney! A $300 character meal--with Mickey! Overwhelming crowds--so many people experiencing the Disney magic, yay! Overflowing trash cans--well, I'm only noticing this because the parks in general are so clean that it stands out in contrast. A horrible website with awful IT, incredibly uninformed phone CMs, someone who WORKS at Beach Club not being able to tell me where their laundry room is--welllll, not everything about Disney can be perfect. I rationalized, I justified, I made excuses, and I tolerated everything that was wrong with Disney because I truly loved everything that was right.

I'll still go to Disney. For now, anyway. We have reservations for 6 nights at the end of May. We'll still go. But I'll never pay for parking. And I'm afraid I won't be looking at Disney from a glass half-full perspective anymore. A $300 character meal will just be an overpriced, mediocre lunch with people dressed up in costumes--easy to pass that up. I don't care to add any more Disney t-shirts to my collection. I wouldn't say my love for Disney has gone, but the feeling has...changed. I had to call in to Disney on Tuesday to make some modifications and I was on hold listening to some Disney "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" music. I would usually hum along in the Disney spirit, but this time I just found it annoying and artificially cheerful. I went online to make some ADRs for our trip, but I ended up just saying forget it, I don't want to give Disney any more of my money. We'll still eat, but it won't be dessert parties and character meals.

I wrote an email and in return got a form letter that didn't even address my concerns. It made me feel even worse. I do think writing in is worthwhile, because while I don't think they're going to backtrack on this, it may give them pause before they initiate any more changes. "Time to raise prices? Uh, maybe not so soon after all the backlash about parking fees. Start charging resort fees? Uh, remember the fallout from the parking fees?" I don't want them to forget this anytime soon. I know I won't.

You should send this in the George K.!!!!

THIS!!!! This is EXACTLY how I feel about this situation...

I love Disney....but how much more abuse can I stand before my eyes are opened and I realize that they really DO NOT CARE about their customers (yes CUSTOMERS, not guests) like they claim they do?? For a lot of people, this ridiculous parking fee was that eye-opener, that "slap in the face". The decline in overall service, the surging ticket prices, the influx of hard-ticketed events resulting in decreased park hours, the cuts in staffing...all of that was equivalent to repeated verbal abuse. Then the security checks started...now they were starting to cross a line...and then this parking fee? That was a kick in the crotch and really the final straw for a lot of people. Hopefully, this costs Disney, big time. I hope they see a swift and severe hit to their pocketbook. Unfortunately, I think that will have the opposite effect that we desire. I think it will result in further cuts and even MORE money grabs and more price increases...and it will get ugly.
I think if any decline were to occur that is caused by those of us that were offended, it will happen in the medium future, not in the short term time frame. Many of us have a grandfathered reservation and will do that one and then cut back to avoid the "final insult" of paying the parking fee. It may be 9 to 18 months before they feel the sting.

I said in my email and phone call it doesn't matter *why* people drive to Disney, everyone has different reasons (local, driving is cheaper than flying, rent a car for flexibility, etc). They are being punished for having a car, period.

I said in my email and phone call it doesn't matter *why* people drive to Disney, everyone has different reasons (local, driving is cheaper than flying, rent a car for flexibility, etc). They are being punished for having a car, period.
That is exactly how I feel. We are FL residents and live 200 miles south of WDW and I am being punished for driving. (As we have done for 30 years!!)

How obvious are the parking fees when booking online? What will be interesting is the number of people who now are faced with a surprise charge on checkout, who didn’t realise in advance they would need to pay. We can only hope they complain enough that this becomes a real headache for resort CMs.
As of when I went through the booking process yesterday, stopping just short of actual payment, it never indicated a parking fee anywhere in the process. The only way to notice it is to look for it, either on the amenities page of each resort, or in the Guest Services section under Parking. Someone who's stayed onsite in the past and hasn't heard about this via social media or media (they DO exist - I know at least 4 of them!) could book online and have no clue until he checks in or out of his resort.

Its a Magic Kingdom view room at the Contemporary for 14 nights. Its for our Honeymoon so i wanted something special, we had a really poor exchange rate as well unfortunately.

That is a great idea, but I feel like Disney have stopped 'giving back'.

That’s definitely makes more sense! I also get why you feel that way .. your giving them 11,000 for a hotel room , THATS HUGE.. I went on DCL , short wdw trip and a trip to England in one year and spent less then that so I completely get your point .. no doubt .
They are getting a huge amount of your money for their resort so yeh it’s definitely a insult to add in a parking fee .. I would be livid .. shoot I am and I’m not spending near that amount .

IWhat a great way for DVC Members to recoup some money, huh?:rotfl2: "Rent from me for just $16/point...plus $20/night to park your car...cheaper than what Disney will charge you!"

As a DVC owner I hadn’t thought of this.....:thumbsup2 we usually use all our points or bank for another year but it is a unique perspective . As someone else posted a few pages ago it could make it more attractive to people to rent points for a dvc stay.

As of when I went through the booking process yesterday, stopping just short of actual payment, it never indicated a parking fee anywhere in the process. The only way to notice it is to look for it, either on the amenities page of each resort, or in the Guest Services section under Parking. Someone who's stayed onsite in the past and hasn't heard about this via social media or media (they DO exist - I know at least 4 of them!) could book online and have no clue until he checks in or out of his resort.

I wonder if it will be part of the lovely emails they send to remind you to book your dining, book your fastpasses, here's the fun stuff going on while you're here . . .oh, and here's our new empty the wallet program designed to pamper your car with golden sunshine/sparkling rain as it sits between two pristine white lines in our always smooth and never dirty resort parking!

They're stuck with the fees - which aren't for resource scarcity, but to influence choice. But what choice? Fly in when it doesn't make sense? Spend more to travel to Orlando and enter the bubble?
Well, DTO guests who don't actually need their cars while at WDW could conceivably park near MCO (for as low as $4/night), shuttle to the airport and use DME.

But maybe the choice this fee is trying to influence is to get guests to visit Aulani or Disneyland? I mean, since there's now a parking charge no matter where you go...

Last edited:
How obvious are the parking fees when booking online? What will be interesting is the number of people who now are faced with a surprise charge on checkout, who didn’t realise in advance they would need to pay. We can only hope they complain enough that this becomes a real headache for resort CMs.
Not terribly obvious. I modified an August reservation yesterday to take advantage of the summer discount - there was a "self-parking" notification regarding the fees during the process. The notice does not appear on the checkout page (prior to confirmation) - instead, it's on the confirmation page after you've accepted the reservation. It's just a box at the bottom regarding "self-parking". It did not include the amount of the fees - more of a "check your resort" heads-up.

The fees are not on the confirmation email - even though there's a lot of boilerplate language on that (including the notice as to house-keeping room checks). So I'm going to say this will be a surprise to some (or many) - at least those who aren't reading all the fine print. Sort of an "anti-pixie dust" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter