Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Thanks for asking the question because I was wondering the same thing. It sounds as if the higher temperatures in gondolas will help to eradicate the COVID-19 virus on surfaces.
I have never heard of anything proving this. What medical source do you have stating this?

Before getting onto the Skyliner and ASAP upon exit we should sanitize and wash hands. This is what all the signs at Disney are saying. Not once have they said heat will decrease chances of contracting COVID-19.

I have never heard of anything proving this. What medical source do you have stating this?

Before getting onto the Skyliner and ASAP upon exit we should sanitize and wash hands. This is what all the signs at Disney are saying. Not once have they said heat will decrease chances of contracting COVID-19.
I've read that in sunlight the virus can only live on surfaces for like 10 seconds or so because of the UV rays. I've never heard anything about heat but I'm sure it probably weakens it. Honestly after every ride I would sanitze my hands. Especially since it seems some of the rides aren't sanitized as often. I heard Buzz is only every 2 hours.

While yes your article says heat will help, it also says 130°F and higher. I don’t believe the inside surfaces of the Skyliner get anywhere close to that or people would get burned each time they touch something!

You used the term ‘eradicate’ in your first post which by definition means yo ‘completely destroy.’ There is no scientific proof that the inside surfaces of the Skyliners are hot enough to ‘completely destroy - eradicate’ the virus.

While yes your article says heat will help, it also says 130°F and higher. I don’t believe the inside surfaces of the Skyliner get anywhere close to that or people would get burned each time they touch something!

You used the term ‘eradicate’ in your first post which by definition means yo ‘completely destroy.’ There is no scientific proof that the inside surfaces of the Skyliners are hot enough to ‘completely destroy - eradicate’ the virus.
That is what was recommended on the local news here, leave your mask in the car for at least 20 minutes. Said the car will typically be at least 20 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature; but truth be told, I live in AZ and our temp at the house has been running about 115. Hopefully, the Skyliner doesn't get anywhere near that hot!

That is what was recommended on the local news here, leave your mask in the car for at least 20 minutes. Said the car will typically be at least 20 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature; but truth be told, I live in AZ and our temp at the house has been running about 115. Hopefully, the Skyliner doesn't get anywhere near that hot!

A closed up car definitely gets hotter than a ventilated skyliner vehicle, luckily!

We rode them this weekend. They feel like you are sitting in the shade with a nice breeze. When in riviera or the turning station it does get a little warm since there is no breeze but it doesn't get hotter than the ambient temperature.
Thanks. Did you notice if there was any sanitation efforts from the CM's after your ride or before? Wiping, spraying, etc.?

We rode them this weekend. They feel like you are sitting in the shade with a nice breeze. When in riviera or the turning station it does get a little warm since there is no breeze but it doesn't get hotter than the ambient temperature.
I'm pretty sure 10% of my Disboards post count was telling people they'd feel like sitting in the shade with a breeze.

You took the word out of context. I said, "...will help to eradicate the COVID-19 virus on surfaces."
Touching surfaces between 130°F and 140°F is actually within safe limits. Only surfaces (such as pipes) that attain temperatures above 140°F are required for safety to be insulated.

So it would seem that the higher temperatures along with the direct sunlight will indeed help to eradicate the COVID-19 virus on surfaces. That extra heat in the gondolas is a blessing after all! Good on Disney.

We rode Skyliner today, temperature was in the 90’s. They do keep it to one party per car. We didn’t see any cleaning between uses ( probably happens every so often, but not after each use).
The inside temperature was fine as in not hot, especially when moving. Definitely not anywhere near 130F to kill the virus. Sanitizer available when getting on and off.
Hope that helps.

We rode Skyliner today, temperature was in the 90’s. They do keep it to one party per car. We didn’t see any cleaning between uses ( probably happens every so often, but not after each use).
The inside temperature was fine as in not hot, especially when moving. Definitely not anywhere near 130F to kill the virus. Sanitizer available when getting on and off.
Hope that helps.
Great update, thanks.

Thanks. Did you notice if there was any sanitation efforts from the CM's after your ride or before? Wiping, spraying, etc.?

I didn't see any but there was no wait for any gondola so If they did clean every 2 hours like the ride vehicles I wouldn't have seen it.

How early do they start running the Skyliner before park opening? I’ve heard DHS has been the packed park since it reopened. I want to make sure we get there early enough.

We stayed at Art or Animation in March, right before the COVID-19 shutdown, and I found it to be very nice when you get going and there is a breeze in the cabin... It's no air conditioning... and it did get up to 92-93 a couple of those days. Nobody in my family was complaining when it's moving.... So is it cool/cold in the cabin when it's moving, no. Is like someone else posted, it's a little like sitting in the shade with a breeze.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter