Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

While there may be a minimal wait at peak times I don't think it ever hits 20-30 minutes due to nature of this system and its capacity.

only scenario I could see is at park closing / post fireworks from leaving Epcot or DHS - and even then it probably won't feel as long as when, say, waiting for a monorail leaving MK because the line will continuously move rather than being stuck in one spot waiting for the next train/bus

only scenario I could see is at park closing / post fireworks from leaving Epcot or DHS - and even then it probably won't feel as long as when, say, waiting for a monorail leaving MK because the line will continuously move rather than being stuck in one spot waiting for the next train/bus
As compared to the monorail it'll be more of a line than a mob, which will make it feel better too.

We passed that, too. My sister thought maybe one bus broke down and the second bus was there to pick up the passengers. I never heard anything more about it, either.
That's what I was thinking, without seeing the scene. It happens fairly frequently. The triangle between an exit and the main road is a good place for a disabled bus to get safely away from traffic.

Typically, the rescue bus will park either directly behind or directly in front of the disabled bus. The "police cars" may have been Disney security and transportation managers, who tend to over-respond to this type of event. There might be one or at most 2 actual sheriff's cars on the scene.

As compared to the monorail it'll be more of a line than a mob, which will make it feel better too.

and hopefully narrower queue lines so you don't have to worry about people squeezing their way trying to cut up or just "strategically move" ... always hate having to stress about that and try to position myself so people can't cut by after just having dealt with the stress of getting out of the park, etc.

and hopefully narrower queue lines so you don't have to worry about people squeezing their way trying to cut up or just "strategically move" ... always hate having to stress about that and try to position myself so people can't cut by after just having dealt with the stress of getting out of the park, etc.
Yeah, I hate the monorail mob at closing, which is why I always take the bus back to the TTC. It seems no one knows about the bus, so there is never a line and it is pretty quick.

The cabins hold up to 10 people.

Disney is looking to hit roughly 4500-5000 an hour I believe. Also remember these stations have two loads something never really done before.

While there may be a minimal wait at peak times I don't think it ever hits 20-30 minutes due to nature of this system and its capacity.

Is the 4500-5000 a confirmed number or is that just the capacity of the system? Disney could theoretically set the capacity at whatever they wanted capped at the maximum. Operationally, it doesn’t make much sense for Disney to purchase so many gondolas if they are going to be underutilized most of the time. Are the gondolas a cheap part of the system? Do all the gondolas have to be put on the line at the same time? I’m just wondering if they could open with less gondolas or if it’s all or nothing.

Is the 4500-5000 a confirmed number or is that just the capacity of the system? Disney could theoretically set the capacity at whatever they wanted capped at the maximum. Operationally, it doesn’t make much sense for Disney to purchase so many gondolas if they are going to be underutilized most of the time. Are the gondolas a cheap part of the system? Do all the gondolas have to be put on the line at the same time? I’m just wondering if they could open with less gondolas or if it’s all or nothing.
This is the capacity Disney is rumored to want.
Disney is paying top dollar for this system. The gondola cabins won't be taken on and off line unless they have to be they will just sit on the line when not in operation.

There isn't really any efficiency gained by keeping the cabins off the line. That being said, if there is a demand problem, if they received 50% of their gondolas, and the remaining 50% were majorly delayed for some reason, you could still operate the system minus the absent cabins.

We passed that, too. My sister thought maybe one bus broke down and the second bus was there to pick up the passengers. I never heard anything more about it, either.
When I looked (twice) on Saturday (going to and from MK) there was most definitely 4 sets of tire tracks in the grassy area so both buses were off the road.

4500 pph is the highest capacity reached by any monocable gondola in the world. AFAIK, there is only one: Giggijochbahn in Soelden, Austria, using similar Doppelmayr technology. So if Disney attains 4500, they would be making history; if they go higher, they would be breaking new ground.

Lol, there is a bus from mk to ttc?
Don't tell any one, but yes. Only at closing and they have them lined up so it goes really quick.

Normally not, but they may run at closing when crowd levels are very high, or when either the monorail or ferryboat is running at reduced capacity.

I'm pretty sure it is every night at closing. I always go in September and they are running.

Don't tell any one, but yes. Only at closing and they have them lined up so it goes really quick.

I'm pretty sure it is every night at closing. I always go in September and they are running.
Could be. I know that in the morning, (except for peak holiday weeks) they usually didn't start running unless the monorail & ferryboat lines got too long. But I'm not as familiar with nighttime operations.

Could be. I know that in the morning, (except for peak holiday weeks) they usually didn't start running unless the monorail & ferryboat lines got too long. But I'm not as familiar with nighttime operations.
Yeah, I've never seen it in the morning, except when the monorail is down. But you can ride to the Contemporary in the morning then walk over.

4500 pph is the highest capacity reached by any monocable gondola in the world. AFAIK, there is only one: Giggijochbahn in Soelden, Austria, using similar Doppelmayr technology. So if Disney attains 4500, they would be making history; if they go higher, they would be breaking new ground.
Thanks for posting the name. I think I spent an hour looking for this video last night and couldn't find it:

It shows how fast the lines move and how long the cars are in the station, even with 4500 people/hr. Plus it shows the automated parking system in action, which is really cool (and won't be used often at WDW).

Lol, there is a bus from mk to ttc?

I ride it all the time in the evenings. Usually get right on and get a seat. It's great.

I would say in mornings we can ride a bus to MK 50/50. Once was PPO, the other times were after park opening.

Normally not, but they may run at closing when crowd levels are very high, or when either the monorail or ferryboat is running at reduced capacity.
It’s more normal nowadays. It drops off on the contemporary walk way so you don’t go through security twice.

I don't believe any number's "confirmed" for the Disney setup but people are working on the info available:

Article citing 4000-5000 per hour - https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...gondola-system-just-took-a-major-step-forward
Doppelmayr "up to 4,500 passengers per hour and direction" but not necessarily being Disney's implementation - https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/detachable-gondola-lift/

That Doppelmayr link has links to real implementations, highest being https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/references/10-mgd-giggijochbahn/ at 10 per cabin, 134 cabins. Looking at the other examples, the number of cabins seems to be a big variable affecting system capacity, and Disney will be buying many.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter