Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

As someone who prefers staying at YC/BC, I might ride the gondola for funsies once, but I wouldn't use it to go to HS. You'd have to transfer at CBR. I'm more than happy with the current transportation options. The boats go directly to HS with only a stop at the Swan/Dolphin, and the walking path is pretty nice when it's not oppressively hot. I don't see YC/BC or BW guests using this for transportation except to go to Riviera for dining.
If you were leaving DHS after F!, wouldn't you rather glide home seated in a comfy gondola, than stand in line maybe 30 minutes for a boat? You'd have to transfer at CBR, but you'd probably transfer with no wait, since most Guests coming from DHS would be going to CBR, Pop, or AoA.

If you were leaving DHS after F!, wouldn't you rather glide home seated in a comfy gondola, than stand in line maybe 30 minutes for a boat? You'd have to transfer at CBR, but you'd probably transfer with no wait, since most Guests coming from DHS would be going to CBR, Pop, or AoA.

You'd still have to walk from Epcot over to the hotel. For Swan, Dolphin, and Boardwalk guests, just walking from Studios should be way faster. I don't see us ever using the Gondola to go to the hotel, only sometimes using it to go from Studios to Epcot, but even then I'd prefer the 20 minute walk unless it was raining.

According to Liftblog, the current speed of a detachable gondola system is 1,000 FPM or 11 MPH.
Not arguing with your conclusion, but I want to point out that the manufacturer advertises rope speed for this new technology up to 7 m/s, which translates to 15 mph. Disney is the first installation of this technology in the U.S.

Looking at YouTube videos, time thru a station from off-rope to on-rope appears to be about 90 seconds.

Not arguing with your conclusion, but I want to point out that the manufacturer advertises rope speed for this new technology up to 7 m/s, which translates to 15 mph. Disney is the first installation of this technology in the U.S.

Looking at YouTube videos, time thru a station from off-rope to on-rope appears to be about 90 seconds.
I wasn't sure what the speed is of the Disney gondola will be, I just read through the Liftblog website. 15 MPH will be good.

If I'm leaving with the mass exodus to go back to YC and the line for the boat looks too long, I would personally (and have several times chosen to) walk. It's 15 minutes next to the water and no crowd to deal with once you clear the gondola area. I understand the line for the gondola will move fairly fast, but it will still be a line, and there will be a crowd of people heading there at park close, same as the boats.

I'm sure some people may choose to take the gondola and transfer, but I think the majority staying at the Epcot resorts will use existing transportation directly back there. And like The Pho said, unless you're staying at BC, you're still putting in some foot power to get from IG back to your hotel.

Having stayed at BCV and BWV I agree using the gondola would be a rarity. I could maybe see from BCV if the boat line is too long, but from BWV you would almost have to walk as far back to the resort as walking from DHS, after taking TWO gondolas. It would probably make sense going from epcot to DHS during the day though vs the boat.

Having stayed at BCV and BWV I agree using the gondola would be a rarity. I could maybe see from BCV if the boat line is too long, but from BWV you would almost have to walk as far back to the resort as walking from DHS, after taking TWO gondolas. It would probably make sense going from epcot to DHS during the day though vs the boat.
I agree in concept but remember that its a gondola ride. Up in the air, going by the Caribbean Beach resort buildings, going over the lake, going over a main road, through the forest, by the Boardwalk and through the back side of France. What a great ride!

I agree in concept but remember that its a gondola ride. Up in the air, going by the Caribbean Beach resort buildings, going over the lake, going over a main road, through the forest, by the Boardwalk and through the back side of France. What a great ride!

Oh, I could see riding it once for "fun" but that wasn't the question - the question seemed to be whether it would be useful for returning to your resort - and I just can't see wanting to take a longer more roundabout route in the evening when you are tired and just want to get back to your room. As I said, for BCV maybe with tired kids it would make sense as it gets you a lot closer, but for Boardwalk, Yachtclub, Swan and Dolphin, it would just take you to another spot that's either the same distance or farther from the one you are already at.

As to the possibility of future expansion of Gondolas. I think they'll want to see it in practice first. It seems great in theory now, and it should work great. However, until it demonstrates that it's the best thing sliced bread, they won't consider another install. I've confident it will work, but you you never know.
As to where or what they connect with it, should that eventuality come to pass? I think we'd see a couple things. A new DVC property or a new DVC add on at a current property. The tower thing seems like the new trend. So what existing resort might you demo a little bit of the resort, replace with a tower and maybe a gondola hub to maximize the amount of beds served? I also think they'd want to try to link in Disney springs somehow. I think you could serve Disney Springs and SSR with one station, OKW, Port Orleans French quarter and Epcot front gate and serve a good bed base. POFQ or OKW being a candidate for a new tower. Of course epcot has the new rumored resort at the front gate that could also be served. You'd get access to the transportation center via the monorail.

Of course there was also a mention of a new transportation type from AK to AKL, that has yet come to pass. While cool, I don't think it serves enough beds to make it practical unless more beds will come online. While a cool concept, I just think the location is a poor choice geographically.

As someone who prefers staying at YC/BC, I might ride the gondola for funsies once, but I wouldn't use it to go to HS. You'd have to transfer at CBR. I'm more than happy with the current transportation options. The boats go directly to HS with only a stop at the Swan/Dolphin, and the walking path is pretty nice when it's not oppressively hot. I don't see YC/BC or BW guests using this for transportation except to go to Riviera for dining.

I'd only do it for a room in the East wing of BWI.

I'd only do it for a room in the East wing of BWI.

Lots of crafty folks out there.

It won't take long to conclude what is faster for a given resort.

If the Gondola does end up a much quicker pace even after F, folks will probably use it for BC and maybe YC or BW.

Also for BW, you could get lucky and get on a boat at IG if its just sitting there I suppose.

We like the walk from DHS to EPCOT Resorts anyway, but many are shot and not interested.

Now we may find the Gondolas are quit a long wait after F, and conclusions will be easier.

I think these conclusions will be apparent within the first week of operation, and likely not a minute sooner.

As to the possibility of future expansion of Gondolas. I think they'll want to see it in practice first. It seems great in theory now, and it should work great. However, until it demonstrates that it's the best thing sliced bread, they won't consider another install. I've confident it will work, but you you never know.
As to where or what they connect with it, should that eventuality come to pass? I think we'd see a couple things. A new DVC property or a new DVC add on at a current property. The tower thing seems like the new trend. So what existing resort might you demo a little bit of the resort, replace with a tower and maybe a gondola hub to maximize the amount of beds served? I also think they'd want to try to link in Disney springs somehow. I think you could serve Disney Springs and SSR with one station, OKW, Port Orleans French quarter and Epcot front gate and serve a good bed base. POFQ or OKW being a candidate for a new tower. Of course epcot has the new rumored resort at the front gate that could also be served. You'd get access to the transportation center via the monorail.

Of course there was also a mention of a new transportation type from AK to AKL, that has yet come to pass. While cool, I don't think it serves enough beds to make it practical unless more beds will come online. While a cool concept, I just think the location is a poor choice geographically.

I could see POFQ having a tower built. With it being a smaller resort, this would be a way to add capacity.

I've read re: the possibility of "something different" for AK/AKL but not any clue about what. Has there been an updated rumor w/ any details re: what?
I thought most were predicting conversion of the long abandoned river country site into DVC for the next resort after Riviera. Although you'd think they were just in that general area when they converted WL. The DTD area, which I consider to include POR/POFQ/OKW/SSR, seem pretty saturated DVC room inventory wise, so I'd be surprised to see a DVC tower going in there - doing a gondola hub for those existing resorts makes sense, tho'.

I've read re: the possibility of "something different" for AK/AKL but not any clue about what. Has there been an updated rumor w/ any details re: what?

I don't know if anything specific was every like the leading option - but I think it was something like a dedicated tram or even "people mover" type system

I don't know if anything specific was every like the leading option - but I think it was something like a dedicated tram or even "people mover" type system

I'm a Fort Wilderness guy. I hardly ever travel anywhere these days with the family except in my vintage RV. However, if they installed a real PeopleMover, a real life application of Walt's dream, not just a novelty ride, I'd pay to stay at AKL just to support it and ride it back and forth. I mean, I'm the kind of guy who made the trip to West Virginia University to use their 70s era pods transportation system when I was in college just to do it. I paid to ride the Chunnel Train when my company would have paid for me to fly from London to Paris just so I could experience it. I love unique mass transit. Someday I will ride a maglev train, and I'd fly to Chicago just to ride Musk's Chicago Loop project if it ever gets built from O'Hare.

So please Disney, build a real PeopleMover. Build something unique and crazy and part of a dream. Even if it isn't the most efficient. As a shareholder I won't complain. I just want to see someone have the guts to try and make it work.

I'm a Fort Wilderness guy. I hardly ever travel anywhere these days with the family except in my vintage RV. However, if they installed a real PeopleMover, a real life application of Walt's dream, not just a novelty ride, I'd pay to stay at AKL just to support it and ride it back and forth. I mean, I'm the kind of guy who made the trip to West Virginia University to use their 70s era pods transportation system when I was in college just to do it. I paid to ride the Chunnel Train when my company would have paid for me to fly from London to Paris just so I could experience it. I love unique mass transit. Someday I will ride a maglev train, and I'd fly to Chicago just to ride Musk's Chicago Loop project if it ever gets built from O'Hare.

So please Disney, build a real PeopleMover. Build something unique and crazy and part of a dream. Even if it isn't the most efficient. As a shareholder I won't complain. I just want to see someone have the guts to try and make it work.
In modern parlance, "people mover" refers to any small scale automated fixed guideway shuttle or circulator, as are most commonly used for airport shuttles. Most are electric, but Doppelmayr markets a cable-powered system similar to a funicular railway.

The gondola lift is actually much closer to the concept of Walt's WEDway People Mover: continuously loading small vehicles that never stop, and which accelerate and spread apart as they leave the station.

Last edited:
In modern parlance, "people mover" refers to any small scale automated fixed guideway shuttle or circulator, as are most commonly used for airport shuttles. Most are electric, but Doppelmayr markets a cable-powered system similar to a funicular railway.

The gondola lift is actually much closer to the concept of Walt's WEDway People Mover: continuously loading small vehicles that never stop, and which accelerate and spread apart as they leave the station.

Yes. But a gondola lift isn't exactly revolutionary tech to be going out on a limb building. Sure, Disney's implementation is different than almost anything else, but the tech is an adaptation of what already exists. I'd like to see something closer to Walt's dream, though done using modern tech, not the 40+ year old ride tech we see in FutureWorld. What that entails I'm not exactly sure. Nor am I sure it would be better than the gondolas, and with the need to build either a road or elevated track, it would surely be more expensive. But that doesn't stop me from wishing they would take a leap and do something unique and different.

I don't mind the buses. I wonder if it's because most people visiting Disney World never take public transportation, but really the bus system is not that bad. Most of the time you wait between 0 and 15 minutes for a bus and it takes you right where you want to be. There always seems to be once or twice a trip that you wait 20-30 minutes, and my wife gets all worked up about this...but I've become very zen about it.

That said, last trip we stay at Boardwalk and Wilderness Lodge, and we only took the bus 5 times the whole trip, and like 21 times on boats, and it was pretty sweet.

We have typically had good luck with the busses. Last week there were two notable exceptions. Wednesday going to the Magic Kingdom from OKW we waited 55 minutes for a bus to show up that was completely full and then another 15 for a bus we could get on. The other long wait was just under 40 minutes. But for us, those negatives are certainly not the norm.

We have typically had good luck with the busses. Last week there were two notable exceptions. Wednesday going to the Magic Kingdom from OKW we waited 55 minutes for a bus to show up that was completely full and then another 15 for a bus we could get on. The other long wait was just under 40 minutes. But for us, those negatives are certainly not the norm.
We waited around 45 minutes for a return bus from AK last week to BLT. Wasn’t great but given that a monorail didn’t break down on us while there, I can’t complain too much

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter