Disney Springs discussion on today's Dis Unplugged

Tonyz

How do ya do? Pretty good, sure as you're born!
Great show as usual, but I found the last bit of discussion about Disney Springs very interesting. I agree more with Kevin, I'm not super impressed. But I was there on an afternoon and didn't buy anything and only ate at Earl of Sandwich, which has been there forever. I am excited to be eating at the Boathouse in April and enjoying a late night there so maybe that will change my opinion.

But overall, and I don't care if Boathouse is the best meal I ever have... I would give up every square inch of Disney Springs to have the Adventurer's Club back.

It has Mall stores in it. I like Uniqlo but they don't make clothes that are larger. I once saw a skirt I loved there but they only run up to a size twelve.

I like the restaurants better. Love the Boathouse and Homecoming. Tend to go into the Disney stories, pin stations and the Co-OP. I also like the Marvel, Star Wars, and Coke store. There are some unique offering but yes it does feel like a mall

I am a big fan of Disney Springs. Sure Town Center does look like your typical outlet mall but the rest of it does not. I have especially fallen in love with the dining. I love Homecomin', Boathouse, and others. I can't wait to try the Edison and more of the new dining still coming.

As for shopping I don't do a lot of it there. I do always stop in the World of Disney because it is so large. I love the Marketplace Co-Op because it is more unique and I enjoy Uniqlo because we don't have one of those in Wisconsin.

Having never seen it in person (yet) :) I"m tending to think I'd be more like @rteetz - I would probably go into World of Disney and Co-Op (and maybe Coke store) out of curiosity (and tradition) :) and that's about it for shopping. I'd be MUCH more excited for all the dining opportunities!! :cake::bounce:popcorn::::yes::

Last edited:

I'm not thrilled with Disney Springs overall either. Not so much because of how it looks (it looks fantastic) or anything like that, and I bet it is great for locals with all the new dining venues and shopping. However, as a "tourist" visiting Disney for a week or whatever, it doesn't do much for me. The biggest issue is now there is only the one bus stop for the resort buses. I bet I'm no different than a lot of the non-local visitors. I'm generally only interested in going to the Marketplace area and the Disney-centric stores (and possibly Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck Express to eat). If we wanted to go to Disney Springs in the evening after spending the day in the parks, it's quite the unwanted trek and a ton of extra walking from where the buses drop you off to the Marketplace. I'm sure it was intentionally done to make you walk past all the mall stores, but in our case, it will likely keep us away from Disney Springs altogether. If they ever go back to multiple bus stops and can drop us off by the Marketplace (I know, never going to happen) we'd always be sure to go at least once per trip.

I'm not thrilled with Disney Springs overall either. Not so much because of how it looks (it looks fantastic) or , and I bet it is great for locals with all the new dining venues and shopping. However, as a "tourist" visiting Disney for a week or whatever, it doesn't do much for me. The biggest issue is now there is only the one bus stop for the resort buses. I bet I'm no different than a lot of the non-local visitors. I'm generally only interested in going to the Marketplace area and the Disney-centric stores (and possibly Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck Express to eat). If we wanted to go to Disney Springs in the evening after spending the day in the parks, it's quite the unwanted trek and a ton of extra walking from where the buses drop you off to the Marketplace. I'm sure it was intentionally done to make you walk past all the mall stores, but in our case, it will likely keep us away from Disney Springs altogether. If they ever go back to multiple bus stops and can drop us off by the Marketplace (I know, never going to happen) we'd always be sure to go at least once per trip.
Good point @mcd2745 - Never thought about that. And with mobility issues, I would have to consider that too! I even have to keep that in mind around me, as some of the malls are much more "mobility friendly" than others!

Can anybody tell me - are there lots of places (benches, planters, etc.) to sit if you're at one end of Springs, but have to rest making it all the way back to the other end to catch a bus? And if weather was not conducive, this could present a real issue for me!

Good point @mcd2745 - Never thought about that. And with mobility issues, I would have to consider that too! I even have to keep that in mind around me, as some of the malls are much more "mobility friendly" than others!

Can anybody tell me - are there lots of places (benches, planters, etc.) to sit if you're at one end of Springs, but have to rest making it all the way back to the other end to catch a bus? And if weather was not conducive, this could present a real issue for me!

I was pleased with the number of benches and planters to sit on; especially since it seems Disney is trying to eliminate them in the theme parks.

I like DS for the restaurants but like so many others, the only stores I go to are the unique ones that I can't find at home.

I was pleased with the number of benches and planters to sit on; especially since it seems Disney is trying to eliminate them in the theme parks.

I like DS for the restaurants but like so many others, the only stores I go to are the unique ones that I can't find at home.
Thanx for the prompt answer, @auntfrannie !!

My wife and I have been discussing this all evening. We where disappointed with the new look of Disney Springs. It reminds us of the Plaza here in KC. Please take a look online and tell me if you agree. So for us the look is not as impressive as it could have been. With that said, during our "break day" we always shop at World of Disney, Marvel, Star Wars, Art of Disney and what ever meets our fancy. We always eat at Earl of Sandwich for lunch and Raglan Road for dinner. We usually catch a movie for a down day.

There are a few things that I think would help. Given the Florida heat I highly suggest natural shade such as trees and foliage. So fountains would be a lovely addition as well. Most of all the prices need to be reasonable. That what DTD used to boast of the outlet portion is missing.

We are looking forward to Homecoming, the Coke store, Candy Cauldron, and The Boathouse to name a few.

Pshaw....we love DS. It has great atmosphere. We rarely buy stuff, but enjoy window shopping and the live entertainment throughout is worth the visit. Couple that with so many great food choices and we are happy campers. Definitely a big upgrade from what once was (though I do miss the Adventurer's Club too).

I like DS but I am also underwhelmed by it. Its ‘nice’ which I know is a horrible word to use but its the perfect usage of it. As a non-us citizen I cant say I know how your outlets look but DS gives off a huge outlet vibe to me. Just without the sales. I agree with a comment above mine saying that some more greenery would help.

I also find it frustrating that a lot of the places I would chose to dine at require advanced booking. I want to be spontanious on my non-park days. Those MK days are so scheduled it would have been nice if DS provided relief from that. But it doesnt.

Im big on coffee culture and love a coffee shop with cosy chairs where you can have coffee and desert. Aside from coffee to go.. I personally didnt come across that there. Maybe I didnt know where to look but seating was an issue.

All that being said I do plan on visiting for an afternoon on my next trip and I have booked dinner there. But am I excited about it? No. Im just satisfied to go.

I think DS is best place on property... A Club was overrated and D Springs has incredible dining and shopping and great live entertainment... A+

It was when it first opened but pretty much all of the merchandise from the Co-Op can be found across property now which is disappointing.
Yes and no. Its still harder to find elsewhere. I find it to be a nice one stop shop kind of place. They often test out merchandise there before they roll it out elsewhere which is why they can still have unique stuff.

We're not fans of the new DS. We still like and visit the Marketplace but that's about it. We go to Disney for Disney stuff, not stuff we can get at our local mall. As for dining, we don't do a bunch of high end dining when we're on vacation so Boathouse and Homecoming and the others really don't appeal to us. I'm glad they've added some more moderate options like Polite Pig (which we haven't gotten to yet). The whole thing is just too upscale for our taste. I'd love to see a lot more moderate offerings. Heck, not that I ever eat there, but there used to be a McDonald's not far from the Lego store. I'd much rather see more family-friendly and budget-friendly stuff.

We're not fans of the new DS. We still like and visit the Marketplace but that's about it. We go to Disney for Disney stuff, not stuff we can get at our local mall. As for dining, we don't do a bunch of high end dining when we're on vacation so Boathouse and Homecoming and the others really don't appeal to us. I'm glad they've added some more moderate options like Polite Pig (which we haven't gotten to yet). The whole thing is just too upscale for our taste. I'd love to see a lot more moderate offerings. Heck, not that I ever eat there, but there used to be a McDonald's not far from the Lego store. I'd much rather see more family-friendly and budget-friendly stuff.
I don't find Homecomin' to be upscale. It is pretty reasonable for Disney standards. Boathouse is definitely more upscale. I agree they do seem to have gone will that more upscale look with the changes.

I agree they do seem to have gone will that more upscale look with the changes.
To be fair, we feel that way about a lot of malls and shopping centers everywhere. I virtually never go to the main mall near our house because other than the Apple store, there is virtually nothing there that I would ever buy. It's all fancy designer stuff and that's just not who we are. I used to enjoy spending an afternoon browsing at the mall but all of the stores where we used to shop are gone. We do our Target run or Walmart run, BJs or Costco, and the grocery store and we're pretty much set except for hitting the outlets once or twice a year. We just aren't the target demographic for places like Disney Springs.

Thank god they built a blaze in Staten Island it’s amazing!

Disney springs is boring to me I don’t like shopping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!