Disney Springs discussion on today's Dis Unplugged

Something that is not *Bucks

Actually, I would be fine with Starbucks. So long as the shop itself was nice. I'm picturing a lot of seating, small and large tables, soft seating too (couches, chairs). Free WiFi and outlets to charge up your devices. Expresso bar, board games, etc.

They do have a Starbucks at Disney Springs but it's outside (it was by World of Disney if I remember correctly) and not a place where you can sit down cafe style.

I vote for a non-Starbucks place..a nice local style place would be preferable.

Although remotely related, I think once Disney starts to populate Flamingo Crossings it will be very interesting to see exactly what demographic it will draw and if it has any detrimental effect(s) on DS.

The downside for us is that it's such an easy way to get onto the "backside" of WDW and I fear it will get massively backlogged.

Although remotely related, I think once Disney starts to populate Flamingo Crossings it will be very interesting to see exactly what demographic it will draw and if it has any detrimental effect(s) on DS.

The downside for us is that it's such an easy way to get onto the "backside" of WDW and I fear it will get massively backlogged.

I'm not a local and don't quite understand what you mean. Can you explain in more detail?

Interested - what's Flamingo Crossings, and what's going there?

Thanx so much, @babs33. Wonder if this is for CM's, or what?

You're welcome! That was my first question, as well. If not for CM's...a Disney-owned apartment complex that's for just anyone - that would be pretty cool!
I'm a local and drive past there very regularly. All it is right now is two hotels (SpringHill Suites and TownPlace Suites, both Marriott brands). They have been open for over a year now. There are several plots to be developed around there but thus far minimal actual building.

It is the way we drive to WDW frequently since we are just north of WDW, but I can tell you that there are massive residential communities popping up all along this route (Toll Brothers is a major, national builder and is rolling out HUGE developments). Flamingo Crossings, Phase 1, of apparently 3 phases, is slated to start this year. But, so far I haven't seen any real development. We're going to WDW in a couple of weeks and will report if I notice any updates.

Here is a good article that Charles did:

"As Disney already possesses retail and restaurant space in Disney Springs, Thrash says Flamingo Crossings will be built with a different mindset. As opposed to Disney Springs’ higher-end and “experiential” retailers, Flamingo Crossings would feature value-oriented retailers and primarily fast-casual dining."

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...o-crossings-retail-space-development-in-2018/

They do have a Starbucks at Disney Springs but it's outside (it was by World of Disney if I remember correctly) and not a place where you can sit down cafe style.

I vote for a non-Starbucks place..a nice local style place would be preferable.

Is Barney's still around? We used to go to Barney's at the Crossroads but that was before many many moons ago during my college program. Hint it was when they still had the Comedy Warehouse at PI. I know that the Crossroads has changed a lot since my time there. A few years ago I was reading about the Goodings that used to be a really nice grocery store. It was now a shell of what it used to be with others going bankrupt.

I realise that the conversation has moved on, but for me the most exciting things at Disney Springs are the hot air balloon and the amphicars. We get 2x $100 gift cards as part of our package, which have to be collected at Disney Springs. I anticipate that, over our 4 weeks at WDW, we will be there for about 2 hours in total, to collect our gift cards and go on the hot air balloon.

The shops don’t interest me in the least - anything I would want to buy is likely already available in the parks. Otherwise it’s just a shopping mall and, while they include many shops that are not available in the UK, shopping is just not my thing.

I hope this comes to pass. We would be much more interested in those types of offerings than we are in what Disney Springs has to offer.
It’s set to become more of a residential/condo area now. It likely still will have fast food and such.

Yes, I would be curious to hear about the residential portion, just for curiosity sake. The shopping/dining might interest me more from a possible future personal standpoint. :)

It’s set to become more of a residential/condo area now. It likely still will have fast food and such.
The article Charles posted today still says, "237,000 square feet of retail space". It doesn't mention restaurants but you know they aren't going to put up 7 hotels, 1,300 apartments, and a bunch of stores and not have anywhere to eat.

The article Charles posted today still says, "237,000 square feet of retail space". It doesn't mention restaurants but you know they aren't going to put up 7 hotels, 1,300 apartments, and a bunch of stores and not have anywhere to eat.
Ok I didn’t read the whole thing just saw the bit about the apartments/condos. They already have a few hotels there.

Or purchase merch. I will keep us posted as PR vary greatly as to magnitude/reality when it comes to actual brick-n-mortar progress. I will make it a point to go behind the JL/Marriott owned properties in a few weeks and, maybe, post a few pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!