Disney starting to sell fidget spinners

would not surprise me, I just got one and would so get one if it was a Disney themed one.

Hopefully they are safe ones - reports are coming in that the cheap ones being made in China can have lead and mercury in them, way above health limits.

From Snopes:

Rubin, an independent lead poisoning prevention advocate, first tested three fidget spinners sent to her by a friend with an XRF instrument. Two were lead-free, but one had very high levels of lead and some mercury. She then disassembled a fidget spinner with LED lights and found both lead and mercury. She found 19,000 parts per million (ppm) of lead and 1,000 ppm of mercury.

These numbers are sobering because scientists consider under 90 ppm of lead to be the safe threshold in children’s toys, according to Rubin. But the paint on the LED light spinner contained 334 ppm of lead and 155 ppm of mercury in one test. The unpainted metal base contained 1,562 ppm of mercury and 2,452 ppm of lead.

Rubin later tested six more fidget spinners and found a $31 [spinner] from Yomaxer that contained 42,800 ppm of lead. She noted ordinary consumers won’t have access to an XRF instrument, which can cost around $50,000. She recommends avoiding fidget spinners available for purchase and instead making your own, such as a fidget spinner out of LEGOs.

In an email about her results, Rubin said she’s very concerned about the high levels of lead discovered in random testing as the toys are so popular. So far she’s tested 11 fidget spinners in total and found two with exceedingly dangerous levels of lead.

There's a lighted one for sale through the Shop Parks app. I'd rather use the trusted ones, personally, but I can see the attraction for those who do not need it for therapy. :)

It's this year's latest fad. They came over here as an aid for children with learning difficults, autism etc, and now they're being sold in nearly every shop on the High Street and in our local market in all sorts of colours, designs and styles. There are lit ones, plastic ones, ones that look like metal, some even have 5 arms. It's going to go the way of loom bands. In 6 months they won't be able to give them away!

And of course, so many children now bring them into schools that they've been banned across the board as they're causing massive distraction in class. So, the people they were designed to help now can't have them.

I have one - because it was sent to me as a marketing item. There's very little you can actually do with it; it's quite boring, actually. Even my autistic daughter tired of it within 10 minutes.

There's a lighted one for sale through the Shop Parks app. I'd rather use the trusted ones, personally, but I can see the attraction for those who do not need it for therapy. :)

Lovely - lighted ones will be great on the dark rides... :rolleyes1

Lovely - lighted ones will be great on the dark rides... :rolleyes1

Oh no! I didn't even think of that! I got my daughter a fidget cube and it is much better at keeping her fidgety hands busy and much less distracting - would never let her take to school though. Her manicure has actually lasted and her cell phone case isn't roped to shreds since she got the cube.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter