Disney Throwback

Do you want Disney Throwback to exist?

• Total voters

Jonathan Teka

Earning My Ears
I, Jonathan Teka, have a dream. That is to launch a new American digital multicast television network in the footsteps of Retro Television Network, MeTV, Antenna TV, and Cozi TV called Disney Throwback on December 5, 2017 (Walt Disney's 116th birthday), airing 1920s-early 2000s (1920-mid 2002) shows, specials, and movies from the Disney library 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Here's a picture of the logo:
latest

And for more info about the network check this link:
https://ideas.wikia.com/wiki/Disney_Throwback_(network)
So what do you think?

Last edited:
So, this would be something like Boomerang, but for Disney? I could definitely dig that, but I don't know how successful it would be. If anyone could make it work it'd be Disney.

So, this would be something like Boomerang, but for Disney? I could definitely dig that, but I don't know how successful it would be. If anyone could make it work it'd be Disney.
What do you mean you don't know how successful it'd be?

What do you mean you don't know how successful it'd be?

I just mean that sometimes that older stuff can be difficult to monetize because the audience isn't big enough. It takes a lot of interest to make something like that financially viable. Selling commercial time could prove difficult. That's not to say it can't be done. Boomerang really doesn't even have commercials other than house ads for other Cartoon Network shows and products. They bundle it with Cartoon Network for cable providers and insist that they carry Boomerang if they want the other channels in the family. Even with that, Boomerang doesn't even come in HD. It's all done on the cheap. It's not to say that Disney can't pull something similar off, and, hey, I would personally love it if they did, but there are some economic realities to such a thing.

The advent of streaming platforms is making this kind of thing a bit easier though, but that's not really what you described. Hopefully the Disney streaming service will have a good selection of older programming available, but I don't know that I'd expect it to, at least right off the bat.

I just mean that sometimes that older stuff can be difficult to monetize because the audience isn't big enough. It takes a lot of interest to make something like that financially viable. Selling commercial time could prove difficult. That's not to say it can't be done. Boomerang really doesn't even have commercials other than house ads for other Cartoon Network shows and products. They bundle it with Cartoon Network for cable providers and insist that they carry Boomerang if they want the other channels in the family. Even with that, Boomerang doesn't even come in HD. It's all done on the cheap. It's not to say that Disney can't pull something similar off, and, hey, I would personally love it if they did, but there are some economic realities to such a thing.

The advent of streaming platforms is making this kind of thing a bit easier though, but that's not really what you described. Hopefully the Disney streaming service will have a good selection of older programming available, but I don't know that I'd expect it to, at least right off the bat.
But what if the network is a digital multicast network, in the footsteps of Retro Television Network, MeTV, Antenna TV, and Cozi TV? Would the situation for getting it on the air be the same or different?

Well, it's similar, though this would be without Cable subscriptions. You are talking about the Digital channels that are broadcast over the air by the local affiliates, right? In this case, ad revenue becomes somewhat more important since there would be no cable subscription fees (though these channels do also sometimes end up on cable/satellite services), but costs would be reduced. There might not be nationwide coverage because the local stations can choose which packaged channels they want to broadcast. On the plus side, there are many ABC owned affiliates out there (in the major markets anyway) so that could help.

If something like this could be done "on the cheap" by keeping it standard definition (should be easy since a lot of that content was taped that way to begin with) with no frills, then it's not impossible. Would Disney do it? I dunno. They are weird about some of their older content. Unless it's a well-known super-classic type of thing, they tend to just keep them in the vault, especially with TV shows. Again, I really like the idea and would no doubt watch it a lot!

Well, it's similar, though this would be without Cable subscriptions. You are talking about the Digital channels that are broadcast over the air by the local affiliates, right? In this case, ad revenue becomes somewhat more important since there would be no cable subscription fees (though these channels do also sometimes end up on cable/satellite services), but costs would be reduced. There might not be nationwide coverage because the local stations can choose which packaged channels they want to broadcast. On the plus side, there are many ABC owned affiliates out there (in the major markets anyway) so that could help.

If something like this could be done "on the cheap" by keeping it standard definition (should be easy since a lot of that content was taped that way to begin with) with no frills, then it's not impossible. Would Disney do it? I dunno. They are weird about some of their older content. Unless it's a well-known super-classic type of thing, they tend to just keep them in the vault, especially with TV shows. Again, I really like the idea and would no doubt watch it a lot!
Which ABC owned affiliates could help? Name them.

Have a look at this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Owned_Television_Stations

There are fewer than I might have guessed, but there are some and they are of course in the biggest markets. I don't know that they could help specifically in trying to start something like this, but it helps that they exist as Disney could mandate their actions. So, what I mean is that if this were an actual project it would likely be required that the owned stations broadcast it. That gets it into many major markets from the start.

These kinds of decisions would be made at the very top levels of the company. It is difficult to predict that anything like this would ever come about. Honestly, I'd say a cable channel is more likely (i.e. Boomerang), and that streaming is the most likely scenario. Still, stranger things have happened. The television landscape is in such a weird and changing place at the moment.

Have a look at this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Owned_Television_Stations

There are fewer than I might have guessed, but there are some and they are of course in the biggest markets. I don't know that they could help specifically in trying to start something like this, but it helps that they exist as Disney could mandate their actions. So, what I mean is that if this were an actual project it would likely be required that the owned stations broadcast it. That gets it into many major markets from the start.

These kinds of decisions would be made at the very top levels of the company. It is difficult to predict that anything like this would ever come about. Honestly, I'd say a cable channel is more likely (i.e. Boomerang), and that streaming is the most likely scenario. Still, stranger things have happened. The television landscape is in such a weird and changing place at the moment.
I checked, and there was no Maryland affiliate. Does that hurt?

I checked, and there was no Maryland affiliate. Does that hurt?

Well, it's super hard to quantify like that, and it's not really a matter of having this one or that one. I'm not an expert on the industry or anything. These are just my general thoughts as someone who is a fan of television and who has read a little bit about how shows and networks find success. There's not really anything I can say definitively. All I can really say, is that if Disney could find the financial incentive to do something like that then they certainly could. They've shown very little interest in the past in doing so though, so, I mean, I guess all I can say is that I like your idea, but only Disney could make it happen.

Last edited:
I would assume that if Disney still plans it's own streaming site and/or just takes over Hulu for it's own that it will host a back catalog of content

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!