Disney to charge for resort parking for reservations made March 21,2018 and after

While I’m exempt right now as a dvc member, many of my friends and family are not....And while I’m dvc, I certainly know this time next year it will probably be us complaining about this. Dvc perks change all the time and remember when they took our free valet away

I am not DVC so I don't know but as a DVC member are you deeded a parking space maybe? Is that the reason as to why they didn't raise it for DVC? I know you would still get it if using cash, bit maybe they figure it isn't enough to bother with.

I am not DVC so I don't know but as a DVC member are you deeded a parking space maybe? Is that the reason as to why they didn't raise it for DVC? I know you would still get it if using cash, bit maybe they figure it isn't enough to bother with.

What I’m told is that our yearly hoa/maintenance fees cover parking too.....

Watch your annual "dues" next year.

That is sad. Every little nickel, every little dime...:sad2:
DVC annual dues have always included an assessment for parking. It will be interesting to see if this line item in the assessment notification increases beyond the percentage of other maintenance items.

This is all speculation based on the fact that the parking charges will be added to your hotel bill, and that I am guessing that hotel guests would be expected to register their vehicle when they arrive.

First of all, if you drive to a hotel you aren't staying at, you won't/can't be charged the daily parking fee, but you will still be subject to the four hour limitation, and there is already a system in place for that.

Second of all, Disney would need to implement some type of control to exit resort parking. Scan your MB when you leave, and they will know if your reservation requires to pay for parking or not. If it does not (DVC member, reservation made before 3/18/18, etc.), then fine go ahead and leave. If you are required to pay, and if the exit control confirms you have a car registered to your room, then fine go ahead and leave.

However, if you are are required to pay, and if the exit control confirms you DO NOT have a car registered to your room, then the parking charge is added is to your bill. Guests not staying at the hotel would be issued a ticket upon arrival, and must surrender it when leaving to prove less than four hours have elapsed. Lose your ticket? Then you would be charged the daily on-site fee.

Once again, this all speculation, and the actual implementation could be completely different.
That 'system' hasn't worked in years!!! No one tracks those that enter a resort for an ADR. Much better way to do it would be too charge everyone, not just those who stay there. Either that, or there is a gated lot for just those staying at the resort. Others would have to park in a different lot. Perhaps those that are in the un-gated lot would get parking slips to show what time they entered. Maybe not. But, if the resident lot was gated, guests would just tap their magic bands. No need to track anything. They already have that system in place. CSR has a system of locked gates...anyone can get into the main area, but you have to have a MB in order to get to the rooms areas. Of course, most of the time, those gates are open!!!

No. No deeded parking spaces, lol!

They'll just build the fee into the DVC MFs, which they call "annual dues" -- because after all, it's a Club -- not a timeshare! :eek:

They do the same thing with the bus services and front desk expenses at those DVC's at Deluxe resorts (AKV, BWV, BCV, BLT, etc, etc.)

Not only do I have an issue with this parking fee, I also have an issue with the tiered pricing.

What do I get for my $11 extra at, say, YC that I don’t at, say, ASM? The “opportunity” to circle the lot multiple times looking for a spot not taken by someone “shopping or dining” at the resort? Seriously, concrete is worth the same everywhere.

I would not be surprised to see multi-tiered pricing in the future also...in addition to type of resort pricing, also higher pricing in peak seasons, regular pricing in value season, etc.

DVC annual dues have always included an assessment for parking. It will be interesting to see if this line item in the assessment notification increases beyond the percentage of other maintenance items.

It's really not an assessment for parking itself, it's that dues cover maintenance of the common areas, including the parking lot. It's not a separate line item, it's rolled in with other maintenance. They can't charge you to use something you are paying to maintain.

I am not at all happy with this, but I'm really irked for anyone who drives rather than flies. We could, in theory, fly in and MDE and bus it to avoid the fee. But flying it not practical for a lot of people, so if they drive, they are stuck with this penalty. I'd rather see it as something like a discounted parking rate at the parks-that's more "optional". This doesn't affect our next trip since the reservation is already made, but it's certainly another reason to look into staying off-site again in the future.

The problem is, there are tons of people who either don't know about or don't care about this fee. They'll just shrug and maybe be annoyed, but they'll pay it. No one is going to cancel their Poly hotel stay at check in when they find out about the fee. Disney is going to be just printing money with this change. I saw an estimate on Twitter that Disney stood to make something like $250k A NIGHT based on 40% of rooms paying the average parking fee.

Can you imagine the front desk staff dealing with this when it starts. Not everyone connects on social media so this will be a surprise to them. Yea the person who has no control over this has to deal with the unhappy visitor when they get their bill.

Can you imagine the front desk staff dealing with this when it starts. Not everyone connects on social media so this will be a surprise to them. Yea the person who has no control over this has to deal with the unhappy visitor when they get their bill.

Well, it will likely be mentioned when you book a resort. It's starting for all bookings made after March 21, so you can assume the website will make it clear to everyone booking starting March 22.

Well, it will likely be mentioned when you book a resort. It's starting for all bookings made after March 21, so you can assume the website will make it clear to everyone booking starting March 22.

I don’t assume anything will be clear when it comes to Disney...

It's really not an assessment for parking itself, it's that dues cover maintenance of the common areas, including the parking lot. It's not a separate line item, it's rolled in with other maintenance. They can't charge you to use something you are paying to maintain.
Actually at WDW when I commented, so not able to look at the printed summary, but I remember that there was something about pavement resurfacing in the reserve funds that are set aside each year. I assume this is for the repair and maintanance of pavement included in the common areas assigned to DVC. I think this would include parking lots.

They have done nothing to solve the problem of day guests (or other resort guests) filling up the parking lot of a resort in order to go to a nearby theme park or going to Illuminations or something like that. Or did I miss that point in the preceding threads?

As far as charging Disney's resort guests to park at the theme parks, I suppose that guests who already paid to park at their resort can lot hop to the parks with no additional charge.

They have done nothing to solve the problem of day guests (or other resort guests) filling up the parking lot of a resort in order to go to a nearby theme park or going to Illuminations or something like that. Or did I miss that point in the preceding threads?

As far as charging Disney's resort guests to park at the theme parks, I suppose that guests who already paid to park at their resort can lot hop to the parks with no additional charge.
Nope. You didn't miss anything. No change to the day guest problem.

IMO, they had one problem with parking, and that was the day guests competing with the overnight guests. And all they did was give overnight guests more reason to be unhappy with the situation.

I was wondering when Disney would be charging for parking so I am not surprised. I do believe it is not a good idea. Not all hotels charge for parking. The hotels in big cities like NYC where land is at a premium do and I understand that. Disney has land and large parking lots. One issue is that a lot of day parking goes on especially at the monorail resorts. We had a hard time finding a space at Grand Floridian last year on our bucket list trip there. It is easier to park at POFQ. I think that if they are charging hotel guests to park at their resort then they also need to charge people parking for part of the day for their ADRs or whatever. It is things like this that make me think about spacing out my trips from every year to maybe every 3 years or so. Disney seems to be wanting more and more of my money. I can make the choice not to give them as much. There are a lot of other great places to visit.

Went ahead and prebooked Dec on orbitz: so at least I'll save the parking fees on that trip. After that, who knows.

Nope. You didn't miss anything. No change to the day guest problem.

IMO, they had one problem with parking, and that was the day guests competing with the overnight guests. And all they did was give overnight guests more reason to be unhappy with the situation.

That's the part that ticks me off. You have a hard time finding a space because of the people who are parking free and are at a park. They really need to crack down on that. It used to be if you parked at a place like Polynesian, they gave you a slip with the 3 hour time on it and you had to put it on your dashboard. I think the reason they are not charging is it would involve more overhead - installing pay booths or machines, processing money. I would not be opposed to a validation systems for dining or merchandise purchase like they do at Downtown Disney in Anaheim. Just weed out people going to the parks.

That's the part that ticks me off. You have a hard time finding a space because of the people who are parking free and are at a park. They really need to crack down on that. It used to be if you parked at a place like Polynesian, they gave you a slip with the 3 hour time on it and you had to put it on your dashboard. I think the reason they are not charging is it would involve more overhead - installing pay booths or machines, processing money. I would not be opposed to a validation systems for dining or merchandise purchase like they do at Downtown Disney in Anaheim. Just weed out people going to the parks.
I totally agree.

Yep,we are also doing the math. We figured if we have to pay $200 to park our car at a delux resort for 8 nights, then we will not be dining at wdw restaurants to cover that cost. Lucky for us that over the years, we don’t have any favorite places to eat, then I can stop buying my TIW card each year too. Disney use to impress me as staying head and shoulders above the rest, but they took a huge step down now. We also own at BLT along with Bwv and we too have struggled to find parking there too.
I just stayed at BCV and BWV in February.

Something happened that is the root cause of the problem and paying to park is not the solution.

When pulling in I was told I had the option to park for 3 hours or valet for $25 a day. Umm, I'm a DVC member and I'm STAYING at the resort. The guard explained so many people park there and go to EPCOT, so parking is a problem. I said, so either I pay $25 a day or I get towed after 3 hours? Oh, no sir, they won't tow you.

The problem: Letting people park that don't belong there.
The solution: Don't let them park they're if not a resort guest.

PROBLEM SOLVED and then you don't have to charge us that ARE in the resorts.

Can you say "Hello McFly"? I thought you could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!