Disney trip in 17 days with a hip injury, need your help.

Begs

Earning My Ears
So, like I said in my title, we are leaving for Disney in 17 days and my 15 yr old dislocated her hip Saturday playing Water Polo. I'm hoping that someone can point me to a reputable wheelchair rental company so we can have it at the resort when we arrive. We are staying off property so are looking for a private company to rent through. She is currently stable on crutches but we know she isn't going to be able to spend a full week at the parks on them.

We appreciate any information you can share. I'm sure there are things we haven't thought of that we should know before getting to the parks.

++ power wheelchairs for experienced renters
This is a list of the Featured Vendors in alphabetical order:
  • Apple Scooter
    321-726-6837
    http://www.applescooter.com/
    Apple rents scooters, manual wheelchairs, single and double strollers.
    They do rent smaller, 16 inch wide wheelchairs, suitable for smaller people (and children) between 80 and 135 pounds.
    Apple has many good reviews from DIS posters and is a long time favorite. There have been some recent (2015 and early 2016) negative reviews.
  • Best Price Mobility
    321-402-5955
    Toll Free: 866-866-3434
    http://www.bpmobility.com
    Best Price rents scooters, manual wheelchairs, single and double strollers. Little feedback from DIS posters
  • Buena Vista
    (407)938-0349 or toll free (866)484-4797
    www.buenavistascooters.com
    Buena Vista rents scooters, manual wheelchairs, transport chairs, single and double strollers, lift chairs, knee walkers and some respiratory equipment.
    They also service and repair personal equipment.
    Buena Vista has many good reviews from DIS posters and is a long time favorite.
  • CARE Medical was a Featured Vendor, but is closing (changed 5/2/17)
  • Scooterbug
    1-800-726-8284
    Scooterbugmobility.com
    little feedback from DIS posters.
    They rent ECVs, standing ECVs, manual wheelchairs, single and double strollers (weight limit to 60 pounds).
    From what I can tell, this company provides strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs for the WDW parks; and probably pool chairs. They also rent the large grey ECVs that can be rented in the parks, plus a form of Standing ECV that guests can drive from a standing position. Here is a link to a thread about them, with pictures.

Since "featured" is simply a matter of whether the vendor can utilized WDW resort Bell Services for delivery/return, just providing the list of featured vendors isn't really a complete list of local vendors. Near the end of post#2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread is the more complete list. An Internet search may find other vendors as well; we may not have received much/any feedback so those aren't listed - doesn't make them.

Sorry about your daughter's injury and I hope you all enjoy your vacation!

Since "featured" is simply a matter of whether the vendor can utilized WDW resort Bell Services for delivery/return, just providing the list of featured vendors isn't really a complete list of local vendors. Near the end of post#2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread is the more complete list. An Internet search may find other vendors as well; we may not have received much/any feedback so those aren't listed - doesn't make them.

Sorry about your daughter's injury and I hope you all enjoy your vacation!
I thought I had copied all of them sorry doing this on my phone so a little harder.

Thank you all very much. I appreciate your help. I'm sure she will have a good time, we want to make sure she isn't in a lot of pain while we travel. She's a trooper though. We are just hopeful that she won't need surgery.

Thank you all very much. I appreciate your help. I'm sure she will have a good time, we want to make sure she isn't in a lot of pain while we travel. She's a trooper though. We are just hopeful that she won't need surgery.
I hope she has a wonderful time just remember you can stop in first aid if she needs a rest for a bit they have bed ( more like exam table type things ) that she can lie down on if need be.

So, like I said in my title, we are leaving for Disney in 17 days and my 15 yr old dislocated her hip Saturday playing Water Polo. I'm hoping that someone can point me to a reputable wheelchair rental company so we can have it at the resort when we arrive. We are staying off property so are looking for a private company to rent through. She is currently stable on crutches but we know she isn't going to be able to spend a full week at the parks on them.

We appreciate any information you can share. I'm sure there are things we haven't thought of that we should know before getting to the parks.

Since she will be sitting in a wheelchair, remember that the tops of her ears, shoulders, hands, arms, legs and feet will all be more exposed, so be sure to bring sunscreen!

Ask the rental company if they can include a crutches holder - she may be better off using her crutches at certain times, and you can just bring them along on the wheelchair.

Whoever pushes her in the chair might want to grab an inexpensive pair of bike gloves or golf gloves from Wal-Mart or Target (or similar). Many of the rental wheelchairs still have the old, hard shiny black plastic hand grips that *will* cause blisters, especially in the late summer heat.

Additionally, see if the rental company can include a gel cushion for her to sit on, since she has a hip issue. If they don't have them to rent, you can typically find them on Amazon for less than $50. Sitting for long periods of time may cause her to have more pain, or for the joint to get stiff, so it's OK to park the wheelchair in a central area, and let her use the crutches for a while.

Finally, make sure that the foot pedals are adjusted to the right height for her legs so that her feet don't dangle (and especially her left side, since that might pull on her damaged hip)

I'm so sorry she was injured, but I hope you all have the best possible trip! :)

Great info above! There's one thing I thought I'd add, as someone who's been in a similar situation. If she's taking anything for pain, prescription or otherwise, I found it extremely helpful to take the medication on a schedule instead of waiting until I felt the pain. With all the stimulation and activity in the parks to distract me, it was easy to not notice pain until it was really bad. The old saying that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" was quite true in those circumstances.

So sorry for your DD's injury! I hope she is able to heal up without needing surgery.

I'm not advocating for "breaking the rules" but when DS2 fractured his ankle about a week before a trip he was 15 (a couple months shy of turning 16) and knew how to drive, DH and I didn't think anything of renting a scooter for him. We had done it for DH years earlier when he had surgery before a trip. Only later did I learn that you're technically not supposed to let anyone under 18 drive them. Even when I called to book and said it was for my son they asked his height and weight to make sure the fit was right but never asked his age. We made him practice driving it at the resort away from other people to get used to it. Best $35 a day ever spent! He still had his crutches when needed and was able to transfer to a push wheelchair to go through certain lines. It was just way easier on DH and I not having to push him the entire time. No one ever asked how old he was and it was a very enjoyable trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!