Disney vs universal - covid

Basically I am having a similar debate.
I want to go to one or the other (or both) sometime in the next few months to take advantage of these historic low crowds and before more attractions close or other major things change (like hours (even more)) simply due to cost cutting.

1) Suck up the cost to take advantage of low crowds and go to Disney in October (I have old tickets I could use up . .so the ticket cost is actually pretty cheap ($75/day). Take the whole family (wife, 2 young kids) and try and have a "normal" vacation despite the restrictions.

2) Go with just the wife in November for the 10th anniversary - and go to Universal (which isn't as "young kid" friendly and maybe a day at Disney (like DHS simply for Rise) .. the kids would probably never forgive us though.. especially since we found out my sister in-laws family will be at Fort Wilderness at that same time. LOL :).
Dealing with things like masks and sanitizer and NOT touching things will be easier just the two of us.

Basically I am having a similar debate.
I want to go to one or the other (or both) sometime in the next few months to take advantage of these historic low crowds and before more attractions close or other major things change (like hours (even more)) simply due to cost cutting.

1) Suck up the cost to take advantage of low crowds and go to Disney in October (I have old tickets I could use up . .so the ticket cost is actually pretty cheap ($75/day). Take the whole family (wife, 2 young kids) and try and have a "normal" vacation despite the restrictions.

2) Go with just the wife in November for the 10th anniversary - and go to Universal (which isn't as "young kid" friendly and maybe a day at Disney (like DHS simply for Rise) .. the kids would probably never forgive us though.. especially since we found out my sister in-laws family will be at Fort Wilderness at that same time. LOL :).
Dealing with things like masks and sanitizer and NOT touching things will be easier just the two of us.

My wife and I have been Dis AP's for 3 years. We're good up until Jan 2022. We were Universal AP's for 1 year and elected to not renew.

We found that Universal relied too much on "virtual attractions where you were wearing some type of glasses and looking at screens. We think that Disney is much more immersive and imaginative. Plus, Universal (specifically Islands of Adventure) is just WAY too loud in the music they play.

If it were my choice, go to Disney with your kids. You'll never know when the day comes that they want as little to do with you as possible. I mean when they become adults, they'll turn around again, but there will be a dry spell in between.

And full disclosure, no, I don't have kids. So these thoughts are pure conjecture. Go ahead and yell at me :)

We have APs for both and just returned from a 2 day Disney trip - MK and Epcot. Last month we spent a few days at Universal. I echo what others have said. I thought the universal hotels did a better job at distancing with check in and just in general, there were less bottlenecks and I liked the temp checks at the hotels. I also like that Universal "forces" everyone to use hand sanitizer before each ride and that most experiences are open. With that being said, I liked the Disney had LOTS of hand sanitizer and hand washing stations. I also liked that Disney is loading less people per ride, for example, PoTC was loading only the first and last rows of each vehicle. Both were great with line spacing. They both have their pluses and minuses. It is a crazy time we live in folks!

Just spent four days at Disney and one at Uni, though it was my third time at Uni since the reopening. In my opinion, Universal is mostly doing a better job. Spacing in queues almost always keeps you 6+ feet away from others in every direction, and the markers are more than six feet apart to accommodate small families. Any more than four and you’ll still need an extra marker to maintain distance, but at Disney more than two required leaving an extra marker. Many markers at Disney are within six feet of someone diagonally. I only witnessed one Disney employee (a manager at that) correcting someone on their mask usage despite seeing dozens of people breaking the rules pass a cm. A child was even allowed to ride Carpets without a mask anywhere in sight. Many Uni tm’s were correcting people. E.T. was interrupted for a tm to tell everyone to cover up. Perhaps I just had bad timing; other peoples experiences may be different.

Ate at one sit down at Disney and Uni. Disney uses digital menus and single use holders for your bill. Uni uses wasteful single use paper menus and the normal reusable bill holders. Universal waiters (or anyone else) are not wearing face shields. Restaurant workers at least should be provided shields as their job is more risky.

I think Universal is moving guests from Sapphire Falls and Aventura starting Monday to Hard Rock and Royal Pacific .... which probably reflects low guest reservations at all 4 .... I left Cabana Bay today and seemed busy And they said they would open both pools for weekend .
I guess this reflects Value Resorts popularity due to price.
i overheard a mother discussing with a Cabana Bay lifeguard the lack of families wearing masks while everybody was waiting for pools to reopen after midday sanitation. He immediately called security over to handle the issue.

I think Universal is moving guests from Sapphire Falls and Aventura starting Monday to Hard Rock and Royal Pacific .... which probably reflects low guest reservations at all 4 .... I left Cabana Bay today and seemed busy And they said they would open both pools for weekend .
I guess this reflects Value Resorts popularity due to price.
i overheard a mother discussing with a Cabana Bay lifeguard the lack of families wearing masks while everybody was waiting for pools to reopen after midday sanitation. He immediately called security over to handle the issue.
I see you mentioned about “both” pools open at cabana bay this weekend. We just booked CB for mid sept, never been before. Are these pools normally not open? Is one the main pool and the other more quiet? Thx!

They closed the pool outside the main lobby with Covid , I think.
Recently announced open on weekends only reflecting increase in reservation, I guess. This pool has a slide . The other pool is outside the quick service and also has a lazy river. I prefer the lazy river.
I stay at POP Century At WDW and Cabana Bay a lot
.I love Cabana Bay... I hope you have fun
Both have poolside Bar and fire pits nightly for s’mores.
Be sure to visit the upper level to check out the Galaxy Bowling Lanes and the Jack Lalanne Exercise Room with history of Jack Lalanne., (Father of the Fitness Movement)....

Last edited:

They closed the pool outside the main lobby with Covid , I think.
Recently announced open on weekends only reflecting increase in reservation, I guess. This pool has a slide . The other pool is outside the quick service and also has a lazy river. I prefer the lazy river.
I stay at POP Century At WDW and Cabana Bay a lot
.I love Cabana Bay... I hope you have fun
Both have poolside Bar and fire pits nightly for s’mores.
Be sure to visit the upper level to check out the Galaxy Bowling Lanes and the Jack Lalanne Exercise Room with history of Jack Lalanne., (Father of the Fitness Movement)....
Thx! I may hv to look into this further. I hv an autistic son who may be upset if pool with slide isn’t open. Thx for ur response 😊

Apparently they are closing the 2 hotels across street that are part of Universal and will also move some guests to Cabana. I am thinking this guest increase will open more of the amenities at Cabana Bay.
Disney & Universal are having to be creative . And slowly returning to better days., hopefully.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter