Disney vs universal - covid

What is the mask situation? I know you have to wear one to meet the dolphin but what about in the aviary or around the park? Also did they have cookies and ice cream at the soda/snack area? (they did last year when we were there)
Masks are required inside the buildings, including the restaurant, aviary and gift shop. I would say walking around it is about 50/50. Masks are not required on the beaches and are not allowed in the water (except for the dolphin encounter). So there will be people walking around without masks who are coming from or going to the swimming areas. When you arrive they give you a little care packet that includes a reusable face mask and hand sanitizer, and if you are doing the dolphin encounter they also give you a disposable black mask for that.

Back with my observations from Seaworld yesterday! Mask enforcement seemed to be up a notch. There were a couple workers with signs walking around asking ppl to pull up their masks. They also reminded folks at all the shows to properly wear their masks, and at the stingray lagoon. I noticed at Kraken they were disinfecting after every ride and then sending the train through for one empty cycle. It seemed more like spot cleaning for Mako. The hand sanitizer at the Mako exit was still empty the second day.

For being a Saturday it did not seem too crowded. Most rides were low waits except Atlantis so we’ll try to do that on Mon. Seafire Grill was a good choice for lunch. From my experience, Seaworld food is way subpar compared to Disney, but it was not crowded at all inside the restaurant at about 1:00, and air conditioned which made for a nice break. The only places that felt uncomfortably crowded to me at times were the drink stands. Obviously it was incredibly hot so everyone was buying drinks and with only one employee frantically trying to work the register, there was no one to monitor traffic flow.

Hi!
We are going to Orlando at the end of Sept. we are diehard Disney goers but universal’s b2g2 is VERY appealing. We likely will go ahead and p ur chase it to use next year regardless.. but my question is if you’ve been to both recently, who has the best covid protocols? Did you feel safer at either one? Same? We aren’t overly concerned about covid but if there’s a mark difference I’d like to know.

We went to Universal and Disney in the end of July. Only issue I had there was the mask compliance with people wasn’t followed as well. It was the employees being lazy because I saw their employees telling people pull them up. But A good amount adults had the off or pulled down and they weren’t even eating or drinking. That’s what the rest areas are for, to take a break in a safe space. Kids were great wearing masks from what I experienced, unless the parents were neglecting to enforce the rules with their children. That was my experience though and what I saw.

Back with my observations from Seaworld yesterday! Mask enforcement seemed to be up a notch. There were a couple workers with signs walking around asking ppl to pull up their masks. They also reminded folks at all the shows to properly wear their masks, and at the stingray lagoon. I noticed at Kraken they were disinfecting after every ride and then sending the train through for one empty cycle. It seemed more like spot cleaning for Mako. The hand sanitizer at the Mako exit was still empty the second day.

For being a Saturday it did not seem too crowded. Most rides were low waits except Atlantis so we’ll try to do that on Mon. Seafire Grill was a good choice for lunch. From my experience, Seaworld food is way subpar compared to Disney, but it was not crowded at all inside the restaurant at about 1:00, and air conditioned which made for a nice break. The only places that felt uncomfortably crowded to me at times were the drink stands. Obviously it was incredibly hot so everyone was buying drinks and with only one employee frantically trying to work the register, there was no one to monitor traffic flow.
Thanks for the report! I agree that the food at SeaWorld is a bit subpar. I do enjoy the festival eats and hope to try the Craft Beer Festival in September.

For the shows I think I’ll give up on a great view and just isolate myself as much as possible.

Thanks for the report! I agree that the food at SeaWorld is a bit subpar. I do enjoy the festival eats and hope to try the Craft Beer Festival in September.

For the shows I think I’ll give up on a great view and just isolate myself as much as possible.
They did have every other row closed for the shows, but if you want extra space you can just go to the upper rows! We did that and thought the view was still good.

Nothing about the Universal hand sanitizer made my hands feel clean. I wanted to find what brand they used so I never purchased it. It was very effective though because we sought out a bathroom after ever ride so we could wash our hands and get rid of the feeling left by the hand sanitizer.

We've been is this bizarro world for 5 months now and I have YET to use ANY hand sanitizer anywhere for any reason and have never felt worried in the least. Good to know about the required usage at USO though, when we go in Nov if they are still doing that I can be sure and carry a towel to wipe that off my hands, lol.

We've been is this bizarro world for 5 months now and I have YET to use ANY hand sanitizer anywhere for any reason and have never felt worried in the least. Good to know about the required usage at USO though, when we go in Nov if they are still doing that I can be sure and carry a towel to wipe that off my hands, lol.
or head to the nearest restroom and wash your hands, that would be smarter

Did you ever tell anyone it was empty?
Wow, pretty sad that when ppl take time to try provide helpful information they are met with judgment and criticism. Not that I have to justify my actions to anyone, but there was no one around to report it to.

I did MK on Sunday and Universal on Monday. Mask wearing was extremely high- like 99.9%. Hand sanitizer everywhere. Universal staff had masks, but no face shields. Overall, pandemic safety measures between the two companies are similar, and any differences are minor and not something that concerned me. They are both doing as much as they reasonably can to protect guests.

Characters were out, but kept away from people. Face actors that couldn't be more than six feet away from each other wore masks. Universal is still doing some shows- I think they reached an agreement with Equity, as opposed to Disney's dispute.

I did take advantage of the FL resident buy a day, get most of the rest of the year free deal. I plan to go out one more time. The fact that they aren't doing park reservations like Disney makes it a nice plan B if I can't get a Disney day. I do assume Universal has similar low capacity limits like Disney is doing, but I don't know what happens if they hit them at any point.

I did MK on Sunday and Universal on Monday. Mask wearing was extremely high- like 99.9%. Hand sanitizer everywhere. Universal staff had masks, but no face shields. Overall, pandemic safety measures between the two companies are similar, and any differences are minor and not something that concerned me. They are both doing as much as they reasonably can to protect guests.

Characters were out, but kept away from people. Face actors that couldn't be more than six feet away from each other wore masks. Universal is still doing some shows- I think they reached an agreement with Equity, as opposed to Disney's dispute.

I did take advantage of the FL resident buy a day, get most of the rest of the year free deal. I plan to go out one more time. The fact that they aren't doing park reservations like Disney makes it a nice plan B if I can't get a Disney day. I do assume Universal has similar low capacity limits like Disney is doing, but I don't know what happens if they hit them at any point.
Universal doesn't have any equity actors which is why the show's are going on, also some are 3rd party

Universal doesn't have any equity actors which is why the show's are going on, also some are 3rd party

I've been curious if all the equity actors are getting paid right now while not working or not. I know they are all union but I wonder how many would prefer to be performing right now compared to not being allowed to by their union. Not a debate on unions, just curious on how the individual performers feel about not being allowed to work while watching other types of performers and WDW employees working everyday.

I've been curious if all the equity actors are getting paid right now while not working or not. I know they are all union but I wonder how many would prefer to be performing right now compared to not being allowed to by their union. Not a debate on unions, just curious on how the individual performers feel about not being allowed to work while watching other types of performers and WDW employees working everyday.
they're not getting paid and the unemployment benefits expired at the end of July. Most of my friends would rather be performing right now, they are pretty upset with the union

For me (and probably a lot of people).. it will come down to price and value on the dollar as opposed to "safety" protocols.

$300 for 4 park days that you can use at any time is significantly better value than Disney's $450+ for 4 park days and then have to worry about reservations. And Universal's tickets are good until the END of 2021? I am shocked Disney isn't offering some sort of discounts NOW to not only attract people this year, but get them on the hook for next year. It's odd they haven't yet.

Both have "restrictions" due to the virus (required masks, closed attractions, no M&Gs, etc. etc.) .. but the reduced capacity at both is huge plus if you care mainly about the rides.

Not sure what Universal thinks the hand sanitizer is actually doing? Sure, your hands are clean for that short time, but it doesn't mean the ride vehicle or anything else is safe to touch, COVID free, etc. You could have COVID, use the sanitizer, go into the queue, and five minutes later touch your face under the mask, or touch the mask, then touch the ride vehicle. The hand sanitizer CM is a smoke screen, IMO.

I agree that people are relying too much on sanitizer as if it is some magical cure-all. I found this interesting article. https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-per...shown-less-effective-hand-washing-against-flu
Plus, even years ago, a study found that hospitals that used hand sanitizers, instead of washing their hands between patients, had a much greater rate of post-op infections. Sanitizers are better then nothing, but many use them instead of hand washing. I would rather go on a ride and then go wash my hands.

they're not getting paid and the unemployment benefits expired at the end of July. Most of my friends would rather be performing right now, they are pretty upset with the union

Feel bad for them. I know all the guests would also prefer them working so more shows could be held and more things could get back to "normal".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts