Disney vs. Universal

Cait

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are more Disney than Universal people; we celebrated our honeymoon in WDW, and recently, our 5 year anniversary as well. I know that Disney is expensive, but to us, it's worth every penny. So color my surprise when I start pricing out a quick trip to Universal Studios Orlando so that we can see the newer parts of Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I swear, it's cheaper to go to Disney!! (Back in the day, my mom always made it seem like Universal was so much cheaper than Disney, so that also adds to my surprise. I wasn't just assuming it'd be cheaper). I suppose if you can go on all the rides at Universal, it'd be great. But getting older has brought about motion sickness, so sadly, rides that I used to adore at Universal are not for me anymore. So I"m really only left with a few rides outside of Wizarding World, and the price point is staggering to know that mostly I'll just be walking around!

Has anyone else experienced sticker shock lately?

US/IoA is the same as a Disney vacation now. They are becoming similar in offerings and IMO doing a better and faster job of rolling out park changes. Disney is Disney and Universal is not. They are two completely separate vacations. I enjoy both for different reasons.

I was also surprised at the cost of Universal Tickets. I just bought 5 park to park one day tickets and it cost nearly $1000. Major sticker shock but of course going to Disney for just one day is also expensive. If you're not into the rides Universal may not be worth it to you. It's definitely ride-centric.

It's just a matter of personal taste. DW and I went to Universal once...have no plans to return. Didn't like it at all. First, I can't stand Harry Potter and that whole genre of things. Not a superhero fan either, so much of the theming is a drawback for me. Plus, I just didn't find it to have the same "magic" WDW does. But that's just my personal take, YMMV.

I still think Universal is cheaper. A 3 day park hopper at Universal is $275 while a 3 day park hopper at Disney is $350. Granted, Disney has more parks than Universal so the extra $75 you pay is worth it.

Both as others mentioned, they are really two different destinations.

Universal Studios today is not even similar to "back in the day". My aunt always called Universal "Disney's poor cousin", and at the time she was certainly correct.

But Universal has not only updated their parks by leaps and bounds, but in recent years, due to the Harry Potter craze and their advancements with technology, they've actually given Disney some really good competition. With multiple updates in the past few years, I find each experience fresh, while Disney at times feels stale, as they take long periods of time to make changes.

Universal is geared toward people who love real rollercoasters and extreme rides. If you don't enjoy those, that's not because no one enjoys them, it is honestly about taste (and I suppose age). I LOVE rollercoasters, and the best coaster I've been on to date is The Hulk. And I have favourite rides at Universal that Disney doesn't even hold a candle to, these days.

If I were planning an amusement park vacation that did not include children, I would prefer to spend more days at Universal than at Disney, hands down. There are less children, more adult/teen options, and actor endorsement for the rides. Anyone can be in a Mickey suit, but a hologram of Harry and his friends that looks almost realistic is much more magical to me. Or hearing Brendan Fraser and cast talk about filming the Mummy via TV while waiting in line for the ride (and the videos they keep showing during the line blend seamlessly into the ride, as it's part of the entertainment). Other actors that have done video for Universal rides include Christopher Walken, Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Robert Patrick, Will Smith, not to mention the voice overs in the Simpsons area.

I am completely NOT shocked at the prices. Goodness, Six Flags alone is charging more than 50.00CAD for one day admission these days.

In terms of the preferred resorts, the prices reflect the location. If you stay at one of these preferred resorts, you are literally in walking distance to both parks as well as City Walk, which offers the kind of night life that Disney would never offer.

Their Halloween events are some of the most top notch events, if you're into getting scared silly, with props and makeup directly from movies, and inspired by them.

I love Disney, don't get me wrong. But just because the Universal experience is hugely different than Disney does not mean it is not worth the price they are charging.

They are apples and oranges and can't be compared on so many levels. They offer different products, different entertainment, different dining options and overall atmosphere is different. Like them both, but Disney is our favorite.

They offer more adult events like Mardi Gras (was great fun) and HHN (I have not gone after DD gave me her scathing report, sad, I LOVE horror Halloween) and are geared to a different market.

Universal tickets used to be pretty reasonable, they offered deals themselves and a side trip there was easy. Last stop, knowing I'd likely be back it made much more sense to buy an AP than throw away money on their daily tickets. I look at Universal as our down days as there we are more relaxed, we take longer time to eat & snack, we wander and never feel rushed and overall the parks are less crowded.

It really depends on what you're looking at. I like to get four day park to park passes for Universal which at Undercover Tourist costs about $335 with Volcano Bay included. The Disney four day hoppers are about $447.

We like to spend time at both. We do like Universal better nowadays but that's just a matter of personal taste.

You should read the Unofficial Guide book by the same name as the thread title here to understand this long standing rivalry. As most have said, I like both for different reasons, but with teen/early twenties kids, Universal has been the top attraction for our family for a while now.

As far as advancement goes, Universal is eating Disney for breakfast both on ride technology and theming (although I am looking forward to seeing what they did with Avatar/Pandora this March). But don't think that Universal is all thrills either; there is plenty there to interest the ride wusses too. I consider both Disney and Universal to be fair (not great) value for money and grumble with the rest at the incessant price hikes.

You all have very good points! Growing up, my family always made sure to hit both parks, so they would bleed together in my memories. As a said before, as an adult, I'm much more of a Disney than a Universal fan now, so it could be that is why I'm balking at the price. I will say though,I know they have the theming down to a science; something that Disney has attempted but in comparison to Wizarding World, hasn't come close in comparison. Now when there is a bunch of Nintendo stuff in Universal, there will be a lot more beyond Wizarding World to pull me in, but that's a ways off yet!

I think Universal Hotels are a better deal than WDWs are. The 3 deluxe ones are cheaper than WDW deluxe hotels and offer front of the line. I haven't stayed at the value ones yet, but my DD has and says they are nicer than the WDW value resorts and are also cheaper most times.

I haven't been since the Harry Potter experience, but my DD enjoys it so much she has had season tickets and she is a college student in Indiana!

I will say though,I know they have the theming down to a science; something that Disney has attempted but in comparison to Wizarding World, hasn't come close in comparison.

Wait until you see Pandora. I've always said that the HP worlds at Universal were the best theming I've ever seen in a theme park...until I went to Pandora a couple of weeks ago. It absolutely blows you away.

Outside of the HP worlds, I've never been particularly impressed with the theming at Universal.

Universal is able to churn out rides in much less time than Disney does due to their overuse (my opinion) of VR screens. VR screens allow cheaper rides to be developed with less acreage and cost involved. Although I consider Forbidden Journey to be the best ride I've ever been on, it still relies heavily on VR screens...Escape from Gringott's as well. Both are spectacular, but they'll never be a replacement for a good, old-fashioned ride that has time spent on actual scenery and theming for me, rather than a screen. At some point, the VR rides begin to replicate...Transformers and Spiderman are virtually the same ride...Simpsons and Minions are very similar, and Fallon is along the same lines.

After riding FoP at Pandora, I was impressed, as well as a little alarmed at the same time. I've always thought what differentiated Disney from any other theme park owner was their commitment to theming. And, although I believe FoP is a fantastic ride, I'm scared that it could be a pathway to Disney leaning more toward the cheaper, quicker world of using VR screens as opposed to actual ride theming for rides in the future.

There is a perception that Universal is cheaper than Disney but in peak travel season they are about the same. I'm booked at BC this summer. The same week at Hard Rock is about $10 cheaper per night. I'm sure it's no coincidence they are so close.

Universal was much cheaper,but you can't stay cheap with all that they're building.

DisBuck, I hope VR screens don't become the future at Disney :/ You are right, so many of Universal's rides are just VR screens, whereas Disney's rides fully immerse you in everything. I'd hate to see that go by the wayside

Something for nearly everyone in the various orlando parks. Big fan of dark rides, VR appears to be the next big thing. Target audiences likely not wow'd by animatronics

Many here enjoy doing split stays to get the best of all worlds :)

Did Pandora in previews, it's done well & very detailed. I am admittedly not an avatar fan, might be the difference in just liking vs loving.:confused3 U did HP very well indeed. Hope they continue that path with Nintendo. I didn't care for Fallon ride, again, I'm not a fan, might be all the difference in the world.

Enjoy the various events in all the parks, including SWorld. Halloween season is a personal favorite for MNSSHP/F&W & multiple days of HHN, topped by a private RiP with DIS buddies:thumbsup2

Upcoming trip over 4th of July will be a ton of fun @ WDW (have DVC dessert party & 'free' afterhours TLagoon:banana:, appreciate the perks they have extended lately).

However, i really find myself really looking forward to relaxing at the end of the trip, where we will finish up @ RPR with FOTL:bounce:.

Universal Studios today is not even similar to "back in the day". My aunt always called Universal "Disney's poor cousin", and at the time she was certainly correct.

But Universal has not only updated their parks by leaps and bounds, but in recent years, due to the Harry Potter craze and their advancements with technology, they've actually given Disney some really good competition. With multiple updates in the past few years, I find each experience fresh, while Disney at times feels stale, as they take long periods of time to make changes.

Universal is geared toward people who love real rollercoasters and extreme rides. If you don't enjoy those, that's not because no one enjoys them, it is honestly about taste (and I suppose age). I LOVE rollercoasters, and the best coaster I've been on to date is The Hulk. And I have favourite rides at Universal that Disney doesn't even hold a candle to, these days.

If I were planning an amusement park vacation that did not include children, I would prefer to spend more days at Universal than at Disney, hands down. There are less children, more adult/teen options, and actor endorsement for the rides. Anyone can be in a Mickey suit, but a hologram of Harry and his friends that looks almost realistic is much more magical to me. Or hearing Brendan Fraser and cast talk about filming the Mummy via TV while waiting in line for the ride (and the videos they keep showing during the line blend seamlessly into the ride, as it's part of the entertainment). Other actors that have done video for Universal rides include Christopher Walken, Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Robert Patrick, Will Smith, not to mention the voice overs in the Simpsons area.

I am completely NOT shocked at the prices. Goodness, Six Flags alone is charging more than 50.00CAD for one day admission these days.

In terms of the preferred resorts, the prices reflect the location. If you stay at one of these preferred resorts, you are literally in walking distance to both parks as well as City Walk, which offers the kind of night life that Disney would never offer.

Their Halloween events are some of the most top notch events, if you're into getting scared silly, with props and makeup directly from movies, and inspired by them.

I love Disney, don't get me wrong. But just because the Universal experience is hugely different than Disney does not mean it is not worth the price they are charging.

UNIVERSAL DOESN'T HAVE WALLS UP FOR WEEKS AND MONTHS blocking everything and cutting out attractions after we just paid over $100 PP to walk in.

UNIVERSAL DOESN'T HAVE WALLS UP FOR WEEKS AND MONTHS blocking everything and cutting out attractions after we just paid over $100 PP to walk in. :((

I can do everything I want to do at Universal with a one day park hopper. But that one day park hopper is expensive for a cost per day for sure. I've gone slow enough times that I did not need that FOL pass. If you are looking at purchasing a FOL pass or staying at a Universal onsite hotel that offers that, costs are very high for that on top of the expensive park hopper too (super expensive based on time of year).

We typically stay offsite and do a day trip one day to Universal/IOA. Cost per day at Universal/IOA is quite economical if you go multiple days. But if you wouldn't want to go more than one day like me and would think that more than one day would be a waste of time and boring, no wonder it's cheap.

DH has a conference at Royal Pacifica so we had a recent freebie stay there. DS 21 came with us too. During DH's seminar we did Universal/IOA one day picked a day when DH had the afternoon off, so he could see the theming too, SeaWorld one day, and the Magic Kingdom one day. Anyway while perfectly enjoyable and Harry Potter stuff (well worth seeing one time - very cool theming) and DS really wanted DH who has read all the HP books and seen the movies to see the HP areas for us it's been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. We aren't all that into Universal/IOA rides etc. and for repeating would pick SeaWorld and Disney over Universal.

DS and I have seen the HP stuff three different trips now over the years with a one day park hopper (once was with just the first HP area and the other two are with both HP areas). It's not that we wanted to go again, but we wanted to spend the day with others who had never been and have them see stuff. For a huge Harry Potter fan, I could see repeat trips and more time worthwhile. For us one visit was quite impressive and fun, but enough for us.

Universal/IOA though is vastly improved over the Universal of old. Even DS, though, who has no problem with motion sickness while finding their rides fun and a nice day never picks these parks if he gets to choose the itinerary.

They really get you too, by having the train (the coolest ride in the park I think) only available with a park hopper. I have a bean counter personality and it has annoyed me very much on each trip that I bought those super expensive one day park hoppers for sure. I felt sucked into that and to add insult to injury I was buying for multiple people.

Anyway I feel your pain.

Wait until you see Pandora. I've always said that the HP worlds at Universal were the best theming I've ever seen in a theme park...until I went to Pandora a couple of weeks ago. It absolutely blows you away.

Outside of the HP worlds, I've never been particularly impressed with the theming at Universal.

Universal is able to churn out rides in much less time than Disney does due to their overuse (my opinion) of VR screens. VR screens allow cheaper rides to be developed with less acreage and cost involved. Although I consider Forbidden Journey to be the best ride I've ever been on, it still relies heavily on VR screens...Escape from Gringott's as well. Both are spectacular, but they'll never be a replacement for a good, old-fashioned ride that has time spent on actual scenery and theming for me, rather than a screen. At some point, the VR rides begin to replicate...Transformers and Spiderman are virtually the same ride...Simpsons and Minions are very similar, and Fallon is along the same lines.

After riding FoP at Pandora, I was impressed, as well as a little alarmed at the same time. I've always thought what differentiated Disney from any other theme park owner was their commitment to theming. And, although I believe FoP is a fantastic ride, I'm scared that it could be a pathway to Disney leaning more toward the cheaper, quicker world of using VR screens as opposed to actual ride theming for rides in the future.

I agree with you that Universal does have too many rides using simulators,and they'll be getting more once Nintendo land opens and possibly the Fast and the Furious even though I have no clue about what style of ride that will be.With that said,its what they do and they do it well.Pandora at AK was amazing and surpassed what I expected,especially Flight of Passage,truly amazing ride!However as much as I liked Pandora what Universal did with Potter is much,much better,for gosh sakes they connected the two lands in two different parks with the Hogwarts express train ride and Diagonal alley is as amazing a land as you can get and when you think about it took them only 2.5 years to build it it makes the accomplishment even more impressive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter