"Disney, what has to happen for you to decide that MDE does not work?"

hayesdvc

DIS Veteran
I know this has been cussed and discussed till everyone accepts the frustration with My Disney Experience or better to describe the lack of infrastructure that feeds MDE. This applies to both the app or web version, however, at this point due how unreliable it always is I would pull the app and instruct all to officially only use the web version. So it is down again; multiple days at this point. Most people plan months/years in advance to spend thousands of dollars for the WDW experience. I am not in the World currently, however, for those who are feeling the love of having no options (staying on the phone for an hour to handle one issue is not an option) I feel your pain. Why does Disney continue to put more options on MDE (bus waits for example), just to have more frustraions from their guest when basics of MDE making an ADR or FP+ cannot be completed? Guess what, the next time I visit, it could go down again for days; it is like playing the lottery but much better odds.

The MDE will be put back into service again with Duck Tape and a prayer. It will be fixed again .................... till next time.

Since parks and recreation growth is always the area that helps fund all the other Disney ventures, not putting a few million dollars (most likely far less) into their front line facing piece to their customers, seems silly. We all know long term it takes much more money and other resources to maintain something that is truly broken rather than finding the solution, implementing, and move on to your next problem. "Disney, why don't you do something about this?" Why don't they? Because of people like me. No matter the issues, I keep going back. There are many other options in Orlando to get my disposable income; but they don't only the Mouse does.

Last edited:
Until the masses stop complaining on this site and start emailing and calling directly to Disney, it will continue to happen. If every person that has come to the dis and liked, responded, commented about MDE has gone directly to Disney, maybe just maybe it would make a difference.

Until the masses stop complaining on this site and start emailing and calling directly to Disney, it will continue to happen. If every person that has come to the dis and liked, responded, commented about MDE has gone directly to Disney, maybe just maybe it would make a difference.

What we don't know is what overall percentage of people have issues. It can be a bit deceptive to assume that people on Disboards constitute the majority of opinions or that their experience is in the majority. I have not personally ever experienced any issues with MDE in my visits and missed it when I was at DL last year; I felt like they were in the dark ages. Am I the majority or are those experiencing problems the majority? None of us know. So, yes, tell Disney the specifics of the issues, so that they can determine if it's a widespread problem or limited to some minority/specific technology issue. Either way, it's best to provide them the explicit details so that they can either fix it or provide information on technology limitations (or say that they aren't going to fix it).

Since the money keeps rolling in, nothing's wrong at all. Business as usual. Look for another trial to see what can be cut back on with no repercussions. I'm guessing the attendance level measurements are coming in for the resort parking fee trial. If those numbers show that nobody cares, then the next gouge plan will be get a trial run. Maybe 10.00pp for DME? Another level of staff cuts in the park during "slow" times? 50 cent refills for mugs - conveniently charged to your room? Everything's so magical!

I kid, I kid... :stir:

Yep. 100%

OP, I get that you need to vent, but the only way to fix this is writing to Disney – everyone who has problems.

Last edited:
I’m sure there are people who aren’t as crazy as a lot of us and once they make the reservation that’s it. They don’t check MDE every day like I do and may not have even noticed some of their stuff has disappeared.

No, it won't. People here at the Dis could complain till the cows (or the Mouse in this case) comes home. It isn't going to make one whit of difference. MDE is what it is and Disney is doing what it is doing with it. The opinions of their guests have no bearing on their development of the app or it's working. They aren't going to stop using it just because a bunch of guests ask them to.

What we don't know is what overall percentage of people have issues. It can be a bit deceptive to assume that people on Disboards constitute the majority of opinions or that their experience is in the majority. I have not personally ever experienced any issues with MDE in my visits and missed it when I was at DL last year; I felt like they were in the dark ages. Am I the majority or are those experiencing problems the majority? None of us know. So, yes, tell Disney the specifics of the issues, so that they can determine if it's a widespread problem or limited to some minority/specific technology issue. Either way, it's best to provide them the explicit details so that they can either fix it or provide information on technology limitations (or say that they aren't going to fix it).
Oh I’m pretty sure Disney knows now that their MDE website sucks. They have been bombarded with 1000’s of angry calls over the last two days since the website went down early Tuesday morning.

No, it won't. People here at the Dis could complain till the cows (or the Mouse in this case) comes home. It isn't going to make one whit of difference. MDE is what it is and Disney is doing what it is doing with it. The opinions of their guests have no bearing on their development of the app or it's working. They aren't going to stop using it just because a bunch of guests ask them to.
So the answer is come on here and complain and not let the company know their product is lacking? I think not. Also I never said to ask them not use it, just fix it and highly disagree with you “that the opinions of their guests have no bearing...”, they just have chosen to spend their money on something different. If enough people complain, eventually something will give.

Since the money keeps rolling in, nothing's wrong at all. Business as usual. Look for another trial to see what can be cut back on with no repercussions. I'm guessing the attendance level measurements are coming in for the resort parking fee trial. If those numbers show that nobody cares, then the next gouge plan will be get a trial run. Maybe 10.00pp for DME? Another level of staff cuts in the park during "slow" times? 50 cent refills for mugs - conveniently charged to your room? Everything's so magical!

100% accurate... it's always going to be to keep pushing until theres til big of a money/numbers/I come cut. If ppl are willing to take it, it's a win win for them and by all accounts ppl are absolutely willing to take it.

Unfortunately this is too true. As long as they keep the parks full, restaurants full and resort occupancy close to full, there is no problem.
Yes I am part of the problem as i keep booking my DVC reservations.

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure they know it's broken and it sucks. And trust me, they've had lots of guests yell at them about how bad it is. They've heard it all.

I bet they have heard it all. The problem is not that Disney has not heard the number of people who are experiencing issues. The problem is that they either cannot or will not invest the funds to build an infrastructure that supports the number of people who need to use it.

This is an "enhancement" that totally screwed the site up, however it crashes when new discounts are offered, crashes when new restaurants open, and crashes when events open up. We can all complain to Disney, but unless we all stayed home or visited another destination, there is no real incentive to buckle up and fix this site, rather than put another bandaid to hold it together.

IT has been Disney’s weakest link forever. I guess the bottom line is this: will people stop going to WDW because MDE is so bad?

I’m assuming they believe the answer is no. So do I.

No excuse IMO not to try to be leaders in this area for a company that supposedly strives for a magical customer experience. That “magical” experience begins online, 180 days out for many of us — at Disney’s urging (11 mos out for those of us booking DVC). I think they should start looking at it that way. But I’m not holding my breath after 13ish years of trips.

Yep. 100%

OP, I get that you need to vent, but the only way to fix this is writing to Disney – everyone who has problems.

I emailed this same message to Disney. As a note, I am missing my magicband order (minor based on all the other issues). So I called the internet help desk at 7:30 this morning ... already a 90 minute wait. Sounds like all issues have been resolved ............. day three and counting.

I emailed this same message to Disney. As a note, I am missing my magicband order (minor based on all the other issues). So I called the internet help desk at 7:30 this morning ... already a 90 minute wait. Sounds like all issues have been resolved ............. day three and counting.

Mine do not show either. I will call over the weekend if this is not fixed on it's own.

So the answer is come on here and complain and not let the company know their product is lacking? I think not. Also I never said to ask them not use it, just fix it and highly disagree with you “that the opinions of their guests have no bearing...”, they just have chosen to spend their money on something different. If enough people complain, eventually something will give.
Ok.
And I never, ever said the answer was to come here to complain. At least I'm pretty dang sure I didn't type that out. I did say they know dang well their product is lacking.
I do say they are not going to do a dang thing about MDE based on calls from customers complaining about it. There have been massive amounts of complaints about it. Even when it's running great.
It's been the way it is too long for them to change anything. They've made that perfectly clear. For your example, we were at Disney December 2014 when MDE first rolled out and it was a massive failure at that time. The entire system crashed and guests couldn't check in, using dining plans, nothing. Sound familiar. In 2014! Nothing, not one single thing has changed with it since then. In those 4 years, you really don't think they haven't had millions of complaints about it? What's been fixed in all that time? What happened yesterday is pretty much what happened in 2014. Heck, we had the same issue happen during our trip in July this year.
Enough people have complained and nothing has given.
But If you honestly believe they will ever listen to the guest and change MDE based on it, great. Call them. Hope you have free long distance.
I do give them my 2 cents each time I need to call. Heck, I'm one of the first that had to have an entirely new MDE account built because the first one fritzed out so bad it couldn't be repaired. So they heard plenty from me

Last edited:
Ok.
And I never, ever said the answer was to come here to complain. At least I'm pretty dang sure I didn't type that out.
I do say they are not going to do a dang thing about MDE based on calls from customers complaining about it. There have been massive amounts of complaints about it. Even when it's running great.
It's been the way it is too long for them to change anything. They've made that perfectly clear. For your example, we were at Disney December 2014 when MDE first rolled out and it was a massive failure at that time. The entire system crashed and guests couldn't check in, using dining plans, nothing. Sound familiar. In 2014! Nothing, not one single thing has changed with it since then. In those 4 years, you really don't think they haven't had millions of complaints about it? What's been fixed in all that time? What happened yesterday is pretty much what happened in 2014. Heck, we had the same issue happen during our trip in July this year.
Enough people have complained and nothing has given.
But If you honestly believe they will ever listen to the guest and change MDE based on it, great. Call them. Hope you have free long distance.
I do give them my 2 cents each time I need to call. Heck, I'm one of the first that had to have an entirely new MDE account built because the first one fritzed out so bad it couldn't be repaired. So they heard plenty from me

My MDE was rebuilt about a month ago, also. The reason I was told it was necessary was I had "too many indicators". Of course I asked what an indicator was or how did I get too many. I was told because I came to the World too much and "it" builds up?! Go figure.

My MDE was rebuilt about a month ago, also. The reason I was told it was necessary was I had "too many indicators". Of course I asked what an indicator was or how did I get too many. I was told because I came to the World too much and "it" builds up?! Go figure.
This might be related to the number of MBs you had associated with your account. I just had the front desk remove a bunch from our accounts when we were there in August.

This might be related to the number of MBs you had associated with your account. I just had the front desk remove a bunch from our accounts when we were there in August.

I asked that very question. I was told it was due to past annual passes, tickets, ADR's, etc associated with my MDE. However, as you can guess I still had issues with MDE after the rebuild. The next internet help desk person said that the MDE account should have never been rebuilt; another frustration is if you talk to 10 people you get 11 opinions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!