Disney Wilderness Preserve?

jerseydizdreamer

Mouseketeer
Hey, all. I just recently read about the Disney Wilderness Preserve and was wondering if anyone's been over, done the land/water buggy thing. It sounds like a fun way to spend a couple hours. Is it easily accessible? Is there any way to get there from the resorts? Anything anyone can tell me on this would be great. NOt sure if I'm posting in the right board or not... wasn't exactly sure where WOULD be the best place for this one!

Thanks!

Richard

I was also interested in this, and it's located about an hour south of Orlando, according to the Unofficial Guide. From what I understand though, the buggy rides are only on Sundays. The whole place looks really neat, especially for kids who are into that kind of a thing, like mine are.
At $2 or so for admission, you can't be the price either!
Can't wait to hear from someone who has been there ....

MJ

My DW, DD and I went to the preserve last year and had a wonderful time.

It was about an hours drive from Disney (we stopped along the way both there and back, so it's hard to be accurate with the time).

There are a lot of nature trails and the length of the hike is up to you. We hiked for about 1/4 mile on the paved trail and then veered onto a grassy (mowed) trail for about a mile or so until we came to a swampy area with a picnic table.

It was absolutely gorgeous! We had a tiny picnic (well, our DD did) with no sound except for the waves of the lake/swamp lapping up on the cypress trees. We watched the water for a while and had a very wonderful, peaceful time.

We didn't see any alligators but there were a lot of dragonflies buzzing about.

If there are any questions I can answer, I will be glad to do so.

CD, thanks for offering the info! Do you know how one would get there? I'm going to be staying at the Port Orleans resort, and won't be having a car at my disposal. Is this something there's some form of transportation to? Is it really an hour away? It sounds like something I"d really enjoy, but it might not be in the cards - at least on this trip - if that turns out to be true. Sounds as if you and yours had a fantastic time there!

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Richard

Hi Richard,

The only way that I am aware of, unfortunately, is to drive there. To the best of my knowledge, Disney does not provide any transportation there nor is there any public transportation.

Sorry I didn't have better news.

Hate to say that Disney no longer owns this piece of property it has been turned over to the Osceola County School board, which uses it for educational program. The general public is no longer allowed on the property.

Originally posted by Grumpy92
Hate to say that Disney no longer owns this piece of property it has been turned over to the Osceola County School board, which uses it for educational program. The general public is no longer allowed on the property.

Mind posting a reference to this information? I find nothing online that suggests this. In fact, I found a "Special Deal" on the FLA USA for a $2 discount on a swamp-buggy ride valid until the end of this September.

http://www.flausa.com/interests/moreinfo.php/ZID23=12115/ListingFormat=attr

More info:

http://nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/florida/preserves/art5523.html

Ted

It is posted on a sign at the entrance to the preserve. I dont recall them ever having swamp buggy rides at the Disney preserve. They used to have canoeing thru DI or you could go hiking out there. As for the buggy rides perhaps they are refering to another location. There are several places in the area that do offer that. I know there is one right off 192 not to far from the superwalmart that offers the rides.

The Nature Conservancy's Disney Wilderness Preserve:

disneywildernessmap121202.gif

Is this where you mean?

Maybe I will head over there at lunch time and see what it is about.

Ted

Well, I didn't get a chance to drive over there at lunch, but I did call. They are open to the public but do not suggest a hike anytime soon, as things are pretty wet out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter