Disney with a one year old

However I think for international travelers it's going to be pretty expensive. Especially if you're staying two weeks.
Agreed! But they get the benefit of traveling within Europe for MUCH cheaper, so I guess you win some, you lose some! ;)

I'll say traveling with and really just in general life; I feel 1 is the hardest/most exhausting age. However, having said that we've done Disney every year, sometimes multiple times with our kids as young as 7 weeks, to now our oldest is 18; so we've done the 1 year stuff a few times and would still do it again. I'd book the fastpasses for the thrill rides, do rider swap and just enjoy at a relax pace the rest of your trip. In my opinion there aren't many places better in terms of activities, logistics etc. to travel with a 1 year old than Disney, so if Disney is where you'd prefer to go; I'd go.

I'll say traveling with and really just in general life; I feel 1 is the hardest/most exhausting age. However, having said that we've done Disney every year, sometimes multiple times with our kids as young as 7 weeks, to now our oldest is 18; so we've done the 1 year stuff a few times and would still do it again. I'd book the fastpasses for the thrill rides, do rider swap and just enjoy at a relax pace the rest of your trip. In my opinion there aren't many places better in terms of activities, logistics etc. to travel with a 1 year old than Disney, so if Disney is where you'd prefer to go; I'd go.

Yeah I think we are going to go for it but take it a lot more easy. For example go to parks in the morning, then relax in resort in the afternoon then go out on the evening

Going to take the advice and book fast passes for the thrill rides.

We were going to go out a couple of times and get a baby sitter so we can do a few thrill rides together and a meal together too. Anyone used the baby sitting before?

I think if we take things more with the flow it could be more relaxing and memories to last a life time 😃

Yeah I think that's very true

IMHO, I would wait until your child is older, particularly if the cost will be quite large for you. We took our DS for the first time when he was 1 and it was exhausting. I had to pack so much stuff - food, diapers, wipes, etc. Rented a baby bath and stroller for him. And we had to play most days by ear depending on when he decided to nap as his schedule was completely thrown off. I think you are flying internationally? So you have to consider how the time change is going to affect your child as well and you just won't know until you get there. The best part about the trip, for me, was that, at least, when we ate, someone else was cooking and serving me the food! I barely remember the rides on that trip. I did take one night to go to MK alone and that was fun, however, because my DS woke up at the crack of dawn, I really paid the price in exhaustion the next day. Personally, I would start saving for the trip and plan to go when you child is 4 or older if you are traveling internationally. Until then, I would do things a little more local to get your baby used to traveling.

I’m just wondering if you could postpone the trip until your baby is about 18 months or even 2. When they are that young even a couple of months makes a big difference. But if not one suggestion I have is that maybe a few times taketurns even going to the parks and the other stays at the hotel with baby. my husband and I did this on our last day and we loved it, and our baby got to have a more relaxed Back at the resort!

I’m just wondering if you could postpone the trip until your baby is about 18 months or even 2. When they are that young even a couple of months makes a big difference. But if not one suggestion I have is that maybe a few times taketurns even going to the parks and the other stays at the hotel with baby. my husband and I did this on our last day and we loved it, and our baby got to have a more relaxed Back at the resort!

I think we are just going to go for it. And do half days etc so it’s a bit more relaxing. Even a few nights get a baby sitter so hoping it works out. Where ever u go on holiday could be stressful at times with a baby anyway

Then Mybe somehow after this trip start saving for a few years later, we were in disney for two weeks in December and we miss it to much already. 😂

I think (hope) you'll find that the memories with your child are wonderful! I know that some of my fondest memories at WDW are from trips when my nieces were 1-2 years old. They see so much wonder and joy in everything! You're going into it with the understanding that touring with a little one is very different - and I think that makes a big difference than if you were going in and thinking everything would be the same. If you chose to go - have a fantastic trip!

I think (hope) you'll find that the memories with your child are wonderful! I know that some of my fondest memories at WDW are from trips when my nieces were 1-2 years old. They see so much wonder and joy in everything! You're going into it with the understanding that touring with a little one is very different - and I think that makes a big difference than if you were going in and thinking everything would be the same. If you chose to go - have a fantastic trip!

Yeah. Can you tell me what we’re your changes were like when you went with your nieces

Did u enjoy it just as much?

We took our DS right when he turned one (arrived the day after his first birthday) and it was fine. We also had a 4 year old DD, so the trip was mainly geared for her and the baby just went with the flow. But we weren’t traveling internationally, so it was not such a big trip for us. We knew we would be back when he was older.

If you don’t think you will able to go back again anytime soon, I would personally wait. I would keep saving and go right before the baby turns three. This way he will be older and be able to do more, but you still won’t have to pay for a park ticket. If you do go, I would definitely utilize the babysitting service so you can enjoy some adult time.

Also: If you do go it will be fun! Disney is always fun and I’ve enjoyed taking my kids at all ages. It’s just a different trip each time depending on their ages.

Another tip is to use the baby centers! Oh my goodness they are a wonderful way to regroup after a few hours in the park! Loved them!

We took our DS right when he turned one (arrived the day after his first birthday) and it was fine. We also had a 4 year old DD, so the trip was mainly geared for her and the baby just went with the flow. But we weren’t traveling internationally, so it was not such a big trip for us. We knew we would be back when he was older.

If you don’t think you will able to go back again anytime soon, I would personally wait. I would keep saving and go right before the baby turns three. This way he will be older and be able to do more, but you still won’t have to pay for a park ticket. If you do go, I would definitely utilize the babysitting service so you can enjoy some adult time.

Also: If you do go it will be fun! Disney is always fun and I’ve enjoyed taking my kids at all ages. It’s just a different trip each time depending on their ages.
Yeah, I agree with waiting until just before baby turns 3! We took both of our kids then for their first time and it was great! They could ride a lot of rides and just really enjoy it! We did take my son for a day when he was 9 months old and it was a fun day but I wouldn't have done a long trip then. And just a heads up, flying with a 1 year old is the WORST! Mine just wanted to run the whole flight so I was constantly trying to wrangle him to stay in the seat. And he was too young to be able to watch shows or anything so nothing would distract him!

Thanks for all the advice guys. A lot of posts saying to wait a few years but we have decided to go for it as we miss disney quite a bit. And hopefully somehow try and find the money to go back a few years after too

I just feel life is short and if you keep delaying trips in life you may look back one day and do a lot less trips over all through out your life.

It would be our first family holiday to so might as well start with a bang lol

We went for my first son's first birthday, and will be going for my second son's first birthday next year. We had a great time, and while he won't remember the trip, we will. We definitely went a lot slower, and didn't do many rides. There was a lot more of just hanging out in the parks enjoying the atmosphere.

The only thing that would give me pause in your situation is the time difference. Have you considered going to Disneyland Paris instead? Might help with the Disney itch, without dealing with the transatlantic flight.

Yeah. Can you tell me what we’re your changes were like when you went with your nieces

Did u enjoy it just as much?
Absolutely we loved the trips just as much! They were a different type of trip, but they were still family vacations. The trips were a bit slower, with more characters and breaks. We also found the girls did much better for much later in the evenings than we expected. As there were more girls (my brother has 3), we would split up taking the older ones while the littlest got her bottle in a nice quiet spot (upstairs at Pecos Bills is GREAT for that!). We'd also come back and swap out so that it wasn't always the same adult staying back with the littlest ones.

Oh, and don't forget about the baby stations in the parks. There have lovely, quiet rooms and a calm play area for toddlers with table top toys. My best friend used that when her toddler got over-stimulated in the park and had a massive tantrum. She started in a quiet room to let her daughter calm down and cry the tantrum out, then moved to the quiet toys while we just relaxed some watching her play. We all got a much-needed respite.

We went for my first son's first birthday, and will be going for my second son's first birthday next year. We had a great time, and while he won't remember the trip, we will. We definitely went a lot slower, and didn't do many rides. There was a lot more of just hanging out in the parks enjoying the atmosphere.

The only thing that would give me pause in your situation is the time difference. Have you considered going to Disneyland Paris instead? Might help with the Disney itch, without dealing with the transatlantic flight.

We have thought about Paris but we would only really go for 4 days. We fancy doing Florida for 2 weeks and because there is soooo much more there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter