Disney with Cancer

NurseNoa

Earning My Ears
back in the spring I booked non-refundable tickets to Florida (from Overseas) in anticipation of our first ever trip to Disney. I'm from the US, but my kids (ages 11, 9 and nearly 6) and DH are not.

The next day I found out I had breast cancer. Long story short, were still going to Disney as scheduled, though I am mid treatment. We'll be going December 10-15. We are staying offsite using timeshare exchange.

I plan on asking for DAS as I get exhausted more easily, I'm in constant pain in my bones and joints from chemo and I burn easily in the sun. I'm also immune compromised, though have managed to stay healthy.

Are there any other factors I should be taking into account or thinking of? We have one ADR and plan on packing our food most days. On some days we will be going back to the hotel for a mid-day rest, on others we will leave early.

First, very best wishes for you on your treatment!

Next, I would make plans based on not getting the DAS, as the recommendation for fatigue and/or mobility issues due to pain will be to rent a wheelchair or ECV, and the DAS won't do anything to keep you out of the sun when moving between attractions. In fact, most of the queues are shaded, so being in line will keep you out of the sun as much or more than waiting elsewhere for a return time.

If you do ask for the DAS, be prepared to discuss why you can't wait in a standard queue. They won't ask about your diagnosis, as different people with the same diagnosis may well need very different accommodations; they give or don't give out the DAS based on what ill effect could occur if a guest is in a standard queue.

OurBigTrip is Right for things like fatigue and ECV wheelchair is the way to go. A DAS most of the time is not given for these things. If you do want to ask about getting a DAS think of why waiting outside of the line would be better then waiting inside the line. Things like I need a place to site/ I get tired ease will not work because A) Disney Has been taking away pleases to site left and right and they can not say if you will find a place to sit witch is why they have mobility devices. B) if you have a mobility Device you have your own place to sit.

You are going at a really good time( I will be there the same time. ) The sun really is not that bad but I would get a small USB umbrella that you can open and use when going from attraction to attraction Some ECV comes with them but they do not move and only help when the sun is right overhead with an umbrella you can move it to where the sun is very easy to take down and if you decide to walk very easy to take with you.

Please ask for the DAS if you feel it would help you. Guest Services does want to help. Just be prepared to explain why waiting outside the line would help you.

Best wishes for your treatment and I hope you have a great trip!

OurBigTrip is Right for things like fatigue and ECV wheelchair is the way to go. A DAS most of the time is not given for these things. If you do want to ask about getting a DAS think of why waiting outside of the line would be better then waiting inside the line. Things like I need a place to site/ I get tired ease will not work because A) Disney Has been taking away pleases to site left and right and they can not say if you will find a place to sit witch is why they have mobility devices. B) if you have a mobility Device you have your own place to sit.

You are going at a really good time( I will be there the same time. ) The sun really is not that bad but I would get a small USB umbrella that you can open and use when going from attraction to attraction Some ECV comes with them but they do not move and only help when the sun is right overhead with an umbrella you can move it to where the sun is very easy to take down and if you decide to walk very easy to take with you.

I'm just curious, how do you know this with such certainty? It sounds like a conclusion like that would require access to vast amounts of data and then an analysis.

I'm just curious, how do you know this with such certainty? It sounds like a conclusion like that would require access to vast amounts of data and then an analysis.
DAS is not meant for issues surrounding fatigue and mobility. It does not actually reduce waiting times for specific attractions at all, just the time actually in the line. In fact, most people using a DAS find themselves walking and on their feet far more than not using the DAS as you need to walk to each attraction twice. Tiring easily and difficulty standing/walking is best addressed by a mobility aid, not the DAS.

As for knowing with any amount of certainty, Disney has a pretty solid history of denying the DAS based on just fatigue issues. Most people on this board are pretty familiar with that. There can be other issues outside of fatigue that OP may have that may prevent waiting in a standard queue, but fatigue is not a standalone qualifier.

For OP, a scooter or wheelchair will probably provide the best option for a pleasant vacation. Not only to address the amount of walking involved (we did roughly 8 miles a day) but also to provide a place to sit as Disney has been removing many seating areas. She can ask for a DAS, but should build her plan around not receiving one. If one is issued, all the better.

OP - I wish you the best with your treatment and a wonderful trip. Definitely pack an umbrella to help with the sun. In December it's not quite as bad, but there are few places, in MK especially, outside of the lines that are actually shaded. Something we didn't really notice on previous trips because we usually go in the late fall/winter but was VERY obvious in our trip a couple of weeks ago. We were actually looking forward to the queue sometimes just to get some shade!

It says on Disney website that mobility issue is not given a DAS,

From Disney web site,

A Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS. Depending on the attraction, Guests utilizing a wheelchair or scooter will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction comparable to the current wait time.

from the OP,
I plan on asking for DAS as I get exhausted more easily.

a wheelchair or ECV would be most helpful for this

I just wanted to know how you knew that for sure. It sounded so conclusive.

OP, I hope you have a great trip and I hope you feel comfortable arranging for whatever assistance you need!

1)I plan on asking for DAS as I get exhausted more easily,

2) I'm in constant pain in my bones and joints from chemo and

3) I burn easily in the sun.

4) I'm also immune compromised, though have managed to stay healthy.

just to add to what I just posted

1 a wheelchair/ECV will help with this. I can not see how a DAS will as you will do more walking and or standing

2 again a wheel char ECV will help again more walking standing

3) most lines are indoor or at least in the shade, and you are in the sun more trying to get to the first touch point for an FP then you are if you do the standby ( space moution I am looking at you.) and a few more rides. I would plane on bringing long sleeves, long pants and a wide brim hat to keep the sun off you since you are going in December it can get cooler if it is not cool enough then a small umbrella will work too.

4 a mobility device will give you a little more room in line so that people are not on top of you it will also let you in the mobility line when there is one most of the time for show where there is a big crowd of people waiting to enter) ( like monster laugh floor)

I do hope the OP has an amazing trip but I think the DAS will cause more problems than it will help. If the OP feels the need to ask for one I would go in and think of things that she has concerned about ( like the 4 things she listed here) and talk to the CM about them and ask what would be the best way to tour Disney.

I just wanted to know how you knew that for sure. It sounded so conclusive.

OP, I hope you have a great trip and I hope you feel comfortable arranging for whatever assistance you need!

You dod highlight what I typed most of the time I never said all the time I never said I was certain or that is was for sure. just most of the time it was not given for this,

I too want the OP to have a great trip and this is why I said what I think ( going to Disney a lot with a lot of people with different special need) and what I have known to help wither my self or the people I go with.

just to add to what I just posted

1 a wheelchair/ECV will help with this. I can not see how a DAS will as you will do more walking and or standing

2 again a wheel char ECV will help again more walking standing

3) most lines are indoor or at least in the shade, and you are in the sun more trying to get to the first touch point for an FP then you are if you do the standby ( space moution I am looking at you.) and a few more rides. I would plane on bringing long sleeves, long pants and a wide brim hat to keep the sun off you since you are going in December it can get cooler if it is not cool enough then a small umbrella will work too.

4 a mobility device will give you a little more room in line so that people are not on top of you it will also let you in the mobility line when there is one most of the time for show where there is a big crowd of people waiting to enter) ( like monster laugh floor)

I do hope the OP has an amazing trip but I think the DAS will cause more problems than it will help. If the OP feels the need to ask for one I would go in and think of things that she has concerned about ( like the 4 things she listed here) and talk to the CM about them and ask what would be the best way to tour Disney.

You think the DAS will cause more problems than it will help? I'm sorry, I just don't understand.

Again, to the OP, I hope that you get everything you need and I hope you have a most magical trip!

You think the DAS will cause more problems than it will help? I'm sorry, I just don't understand.

Pretty simple actually. The DAS adds more walking, so if painful mobility and fatigue are issues, the DAS could potentially cause more issues.

No one is saying the OP shouldn't ask for the DAS, but I think it's prudent to assume not getting one and make plans based on that, rather than assuming one will be issued and then trying to figure out a way to make the vacation work.

Again, to the OP, I hope that you get everything you need and I hope you have a most magical trip!
Yes, I think the DA will cause more problem. Funny how you are having more problems with this than the OP. If you have questions about the DAS for your self and if it will help you with your need then you are more then welcome to ask but going back and forth is not helping the OP.

Just because someone has a Disability does not mean they need a DAS for example.

I have a learning Disability but I do not need a Disabled parking pass since my Disability has nothing to do with mobility problems. just like the OP has mobility issues are really not covered or helped by the DAS

Thank you all for your advice. It's funny to think of me as needing a wheelchair! Even on chemo I'm still running frequently, including immediately following chemo. The bone pain is actually worse when sitting, not while moving. Moving around actually alleviates some of the discomfort. Perhaps I'll raise that point with the GS folks.

Doesn't help with the tiredness, though being able to cover more attractions in less time means my kids won't mind a mid-day nap as much.

Another question. I have disabled parking in my home country. Is there a wY to get that on rental cars in the US? (Where I live its specific to the car).

back in the spring I booked non-refundable tickets to Florida (from Overseas) in anticipation of our first ever trip to Disney. I'm from the US, but my kids (ages 11, 9 and nearly 6) and DH are not.

The next day I found out I had breast cancer. Long story short, were still going to Disney as scheduled, though I am mid treatment. We'll be going December 10-15. We are staying offsite using timeshare exchange.

I plan on asking for DAS as I get exhausted more easily, I'm in constant pain in my bones and joints from chemo and I burn easily in the sun. I'm also immune compromised, though have managed to stay healthy.

Are there any other factors I should be taking into account or thinking of? We have one ADR and plan on packing our food most days. On some days we will be going back to the hotel for a mid-day rest, on others we will leave early.

There are very few places to sit and eat at WDW - counter service areas are only for people who have purchased food there, etc. There are picnic tables at Tom's Sawyer's Island, but that's about the only place I can think of that has tables that are not specific to a dining area. Last time we were at HS, the tables around the lake were cordoned off for some reason? Maybe they are available now though.

I'd ask your doctor for something to take for the pain? Also ask about anything that can help your immune system - you are going to be exposed, whether you get a DAS or not, to so many new germs that your body hasn't been exposed to. The DAS might keep you out of a longish queue, but you're still going to queue for 5-10 minutes, at least, and pass by lots and lots of people, etc.

Thank you all for your advice. It's funny to think of me as needing a wheelchair! Even on chemo I'm still running frequently, including immediately following chemo. The bone pain is actually worse when sitting, not while moving. Moving around actually alleviates some of the discomfort. Perhaps I'll raise that point with the GS folks.

Doesn't help with the tiredness, though being able to cover more attractions in less time means my kids won't mind a mid-day nap as much.

Another question. I have disabled parking in my home country. Is there a wY to get that on rental cars in the US? (Where I live its specific to the car).

The DAS is not meant to cover more attractions - there is a side benefit that you can go on other attractions, but it's not meant to be that way, KWIM? So if you say you can't stay in the park all day, that's not a legitimate reason to get a DAS.

Also, if you need disabled parking, because you can't walk far, then you really need a mobility device, IMO. At least find contact info in the sticky at the top of this forum so you can rent something if you need to when you get there. Get a gel pad to sit on, and save your energy so you can have the best trip with your kids.

in your area do you get a special plate or is it a hang tag that hangs from rearview mirror? in my area you can get both but I am in USA

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but who is the DAS meant to cover? From what I'm seeing here a cancer patient on chemotherapy who is considered 100% disabled in her home country is not included. So what sorts of disabilities are covered? For any disability I can think of, strapping someone into a wheelchair would technically solve the problem.

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but who is the DAS meant to cover? From what I'm seeing here a cancer patient on chemotherapy who is considered 100% disabled in her home country is not included. So what sorts of disabilities are covered? For any disability I can think of, strapping someone into a wheelchair would technically solve the problem.
ther are things the DAS covers it covers people that can not be in the phisical lines

My question to you is what kinds of help do you need while in line? ( all I can gather is a place to rest and stay out of the sun)

And what will you do when waiting for a ride? Go to another ride and ride a ride then to another one.

Like I said just because someone has a disability does not mean they need a DAS I know a few people that are 100% disabled but do not need a DAS.

I had an idea with the sun issue. Feel free to think, "that's the dumbest idea ever", but here goes. Your know cooling towels that drape around your neck. When in the sun , assuming it's too hot for long sleeves, could you just lay a cooling towel across your arms? The skin is covered but with the cooling towel, you won't get overheated. Something else I might do and it might sound stupid, but I'm cheap and I don't care if I look weird. Buy a long sleeve shirt a size or two too big. Cut off the sleeves. Just keep the sleeves with you. Sun too strong, use those to cover your arms. I just thinking out loud. With a wide brim hat protecting your head and neck and with your arms covered that would help a lot. Like I said , just thinking out loud.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!