Disney Wonder Alaska Cruise June 4th to 11th, 2018

abayaflowers

DIS Veteran
Overall, great experiences! I will try to upload as many pics and share all our experiences from planning, flying, lay-overs, returning back into the US, etc. I will provide a summary and go into detail with additional postings.
  • Dates: June 4th to 11th, 2018
  • Ports: Vancouver, Tracy Arm, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan
  • Booked: Oct. 2017 with Tracey Heinrichs, Dreams Unlimited Travel
  • Transferred one booking to Disney Vacation (DV): February 2018
  • Staterooms (SR): 6543 and 6545, 11A, inside between Forward and Midship
  • Dining: 2nd
  • Party: DH, DD18, DD15, DD15's BF, and I
  • Dietary Restrictions: DD18, DD15, and I have severe food allergies and will list them later
  • Flights: Alaska Airlines
  • Hotel: Times Square Suites Hotel found via TripAdvisor forum
  • Food and Restaurants: Findmeglutenfree, Yelp and Tripadvisor recommendations
  • Transportation: Bus and SkyTrain - Translink, Excel Limo
  • Laundry service: In-suite hotel and Decks 6 & 7
  • Excursions: DYI and DCL at each port
  • Souvenirs: On-board and in town
  • Packing Lists: DCL and friends who traveled on the DCL Alaska cruise
  • Medications
I am going to try to upload the pics shortly and provide information in a bit. If you need additional details, please let me know so that I can update that section 1st.

• Dates: June 4th to 11th, 2018
    • We picked this date, because it worked for everyone’s work and school schedule.
  • Ports: Vancouver, Tracy Arm, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan
  • We have never been, but all of our friends have. Now that our children are older, we thought that it was super easy.
  • Booked: Oct. 2017 with Tracey Heinrichs, Dreams Unlimited Travel
    • We have used Dream Unlimited Travel 3X: Baltic, Caribbean, and Alaska; however, we cancelled one of our SRs, because we got a discount through Disney Vacation Membership.
  • Transferred one booking to Disney Vacation (DV): February 2018

• Staterooms (SR): 6543 and 6545, 11A, inside between Forward and Midship
    • We picked this, because I didn’t like the AFT unless it was a verandah; and the inside Forward made me super seasick in our 2013 Eastern Med cruise.
  • Dining: 2nd - TP - TR - AP - TP - TR - AP - TP
  • We loved our Server, Duran from Jamaica; and Asst. Server, Willy from Peru. They gave us great service. Always had a great attitude smiling and going through to make sure that all our dietary and allergies restrictions were addressed.

• Tiana’s - singer and musicians were great.

• Triton’s - love the atmosphere; we ate here during lunch as well

• Animator’s - there was a technical glitch so the movies were not playing correctly

• Palo’s - amazing brunch; chef walked us through all the items of what we can or cannot eat. Our reservation was at 10 a.m. and our DD18 was able to enjoy and be with us.
  • Party: DH, DD18, DD15, DD15's BF, and I

• Flights: Alaska Airlines
    • We booked our flights directly online in Jan 2018. However, 5 days before the cruise, I noticed that I overlooked a notification back in April that stated that our flights were canceled and we were placed on new flights. Well, I spent the entire Sunday on Memorial Day to make sure that we had enough time between our connecting flights in SeaTac. Originally, it was a 2 ½ hours lay-over. The new one was 50 mins. From N gate to C gate. We made it in time to use the restrooms, get water, and quick bite. Our plane was a prop plane from SEA to YVR. So, we had to check our carry-on at the ramp/stairs. Then, when we arrived in YVR, we waited until it was all unloaded.
  • Hotel: Times Square Suites Hotel found via TripAdvisor forum
    • Since we had growing young adults, we needed to make sure that each one had a bed on which to sleep. So, I began my search on TripAdvisor and through Disboards. I figured that if I spent approx. CAD $900 to $1000 for two rooms (remember there’s taxes and fees included in this price) at our favorite hotels like Residence Inn, Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, etc., I should be able to find a hotel that has suites big enough for a family of 5 (including DD15’s BF). One of the TripAdvisor Forum’s listed several hotels and one of them was Times Square Suites Hotel on Robson. It was affordable; near public transportation, Whole “Paycheck”, Safeway, and other gluten-free, dairy-free options. We stayed in a 1 bedroom, 1 den with a twin and a queen pull-out couch/bed. Full kitchen, stove, oven, fridge. Basically, it was “home”. We also stayed there after the cruise and booked the 2-bedroom (1 - king and 1 - 2 twins) and a queen pull-out. Forgot to mention that there was a washer and dryer in the closet. We brought Tide clear pods and fabric softener. Very convenient after the cruise. BTW, there is free WiFi.
  • Dietary Restrictions: DD18, DD15, and I have severe food allergies and will list them later
    • My allergies: wheat, soy, corn, pork, lamb, tuna, all nuts, sesame, tomatoes, chocolate, mangoes, bananas, cherries, apples, peppers, egg yolk, crab, fish
    • DD18: wheat, soy, pork, all nuts, tomatoes, chocolate, mangoes, eggs, shellfish, citrus, cantaloupe
    • DD15: milk, butter, peanuts, hazelnut, pecan, rye, corn, oranges, crab, shrimp, clam, mustard
  • Food and Restaurants: Findmeglutenfree, Yelp and Tripadvisor recommendations
    • For my DD18 and I, we started by looking on Findmeglutenfree. Then, we cross check them with Yelp and TripAdvisor. So, we had a list already going there and finalized our list when we arrived. Then, we cross checked them for options for dairy-free, nut-free, etc.
    • Pizza Viaggio - literally ½ block towards Georgia; and the nicest owner. We loved it.
    • Starbucks - for coffee; but there are other great coffee locations that we found through walking around.
    • Whole “Paycheck” - great options - 1 ½ block down on Robson
    • Safeway - physically diagonal from the hotel; we stocked up and bought a case of water which we checked in.
    • D’Oro Gelato - one on Robson near Jervis; and one of Denham 3 bus stops.
    • Juke - near Gastown - neighborhood reminded me of the Tenderloin district in the City (San Francisco).
    • SMAK - on Pender near Marriott
    • Momo Sushi - Bidwell and Robson. There are better places, but this was convenient and very affordable.
    • T&T Supermarket near the Olympic Oval/Speedskating rink.
  • Transportation: Bus and SkyTrain - Translink, Excel Limo
    • Bought a Compass Card for Daypass, took SkyTrain from the airport to Vancouver City Centre. Then, took the elevator to move all our luggage to the street level where we walked across Georgia and caught the bus. It’s an all day pass that allowed unlimited rides on the Bus and SkyTrans. Super easy to use.
    • Excel Limo: great service and found them through Yelp. I emailed them and they responded within 3 hours. Booked it for our trip to the port and returning back to the hotel. We had 5 large suitcases and 5 carryons. Both times, big black SUVs were there to pick us up.
  • Laundry service: In-suite hotel and Decks 6 & 7
    • In-closet in hotel roomDeck 6: 5 washers and 6 dryers; they are connected to the DCL and will notify you when it is fiished. So, if you are new, here the instructions.
      • Take your card and tap it over the main screen that allows one to purchase tokens. 1 token is USD $2 and that is for one wash or dryer. If one needs to purchase detergent and softener, one needs to use the card on the screen near the detergent dispensers. Then, walk over to the washer, tap the card onto the corresponding washer unit electronic label, wait until a “spinning wheel” appears, select the type of wash, e.g., colors - cold; then, a notification will pop up on the DCL app to notify you and everyone associated to the room that the washer and/or dryer is completed it’s cycle. However, there were several people who encountered washers that didn’t rinse thoroughly. In this case, pick up the phone in the launderette, and dial “0”. Someone will come up. I have used it many times to help fellow frustrated launderers.
      • There are irons and ironing boards in the area; however, I used the press service to iron out the formal and semi-formal clothing on the 1st day and which is 50% the cost of dry-cleaning
    • Deck 7: There might have been 7 washers and 7 dryers.
    • Please note that I put my clothes on delicate dry, because it was actually medium heat.
    • I noticed that the washers and dryers were bigger than when we were on the Fantasy 2 years ago and the Magic 3 years ago.
  • Excursions: DYI and DCL at each port
    • Will create a separate header/posting
  • Souvenirs: On-board and in town
    • Will create a separate header/posting
  • Packing Lists: DCL and friends who traveled on the DCL Alaska cruise
    • In Tracy Arm, we are from California and wore light sweater, t-shirts, and shorts. We didn't fee like it was cold just a nice temp.
    • Medications (carry-on): epi-pens, benadryl, Reactine, Singulair, Excedrin Migraine, Aleve, Chewable Tylenol, Eczema creams, copies of prescriptions labels
    • Passport (carry-on): cards, books, and copies
    • Camera: Canon, Samsung Galaxy S8, S6, S5 Sport, iPhone (not sure which version), and Fujifilm Instax Mini 9; and extra Instax film
    • Prescription glasses: DD15; and contact lenses: 2 pairs for myself
    • Sunscreen: 3 tubes - 2 - Vanicream Sunscreen; 1 - Neutrogena Pure & Free Daily Sunblock - travel size
    • Bathing suit: hot tub and Spa Rainforest
    • Reading material: 2 magazines and kindle books
    • Gloves: 4 pairs - used them for 30 mins.; brought the $1 pairs from Target and Old Navy
    • Hat: DH - an orange beanie ski hat, and a baseball cap; DD18 - beanie hat and a baseball cap
    • Coat: waterproof with liner - I used my ski jacket; but it was literally overkill for us because it was warm. Used it for the Juneau’s Dog Sledding excursion and the Family Adventure in Ketchikan to break the “cold wind”.
    • Sweater: Light sweatshirts with a hood and another that is a Dale of Norway soft merino wool sweater
    • Sunglasses: I forgot to bring mine; bought cheap pairs so that we don’t feel bad on losing them.
    • T-shirts: everyone packed way too much. I would bring 2 shirts, 2 long sleeves
    • Pants/Jeans: everyone brought enough jeans except our DD15. She wore one and forgot to pack the rest. I packed 3 pairs and that was too much. I brought black leggings for the semi-formal night. If I could do it all over again, I would double-check everyone’s luggage. 5 years ago, my DH forgot to pack his pair of pants for formal night. We had to buy a pair in Italy in La Cinque Terre.
    • Shoes: pack the right amount For example, I packed my waterproof “duck” shoes; flip flops, walking shoes, slippers, and black flats. The girls practically packed every pair of high heeled shoes. DH packed black walking shoes, waterproof fur-lined outdoor slippers, and dress shoes. DD18 packed hiking and walking shoes, 2 pairs of high-heeled shoes, and flip flops. DD15 packed heels, Adidas, and flip flops. DD15’s BF packed black flats, flip flops, and walking shoes.
    • Brought two umbrellas; never used them, because we had great weather
    • Binoculars: 2 - used these alot; they also sell them on the ship
    • Socks: 7 pairs for each of us
    • Fleece jacket: DH brought one
    • Formal and semi-formal: DH - suit and tie; black pants; all the young ladies wore summer dresses and DD18 wore her prom dress
**Still trying to transfer pics and will post them later.**

Last edited:
Sounds like a wonderful trip.
Curious about port adventures and which ones you had time for two excursions..

Sounds like a wonderful trip.
Curious about port adventures and which ones you had time for two excursions..
It really was one of the best trips besides the Baltic cruise. We literally packed in our days of two adventures at both ports. Back in Jan., DD15 and her BF researched and planned for 3 1/2 hours. Then, I researched and plan alternatives, because some of the DCL excursions were expensive.

June 7, 2018 (Skagway): morning - shopping, hiking, and walking around town; 11:30 - lunch back on the ship @ Tritons; 1:15 p.m. - Chilkoot Horseback Adventure - DCL. I accidentally booked a DYI Bear and Eagle tour thinking Sitka was near Skagway UGH! Found out the night before it was 200 miles away. How I got it wrong, I had no idea. Luckily, I received a refund of $364. Will go into details later.

June 8, 2018 (Juneau): morning - Mounts Roberts Tramway - DCL, hiking at the top of the mountain, visited Lady Baltimore the bald eagle, and headed back down into town; shopped, bought coffee and water bottles; 11:30 - lunch back on the ship @ Tritons; 1:55 p.m. Dog Sledding Summer Camp - DCL

June 9, 2018 (Ketchikan): morning - shopping, bought coffee; 11:30 a.m. - lunch back on the ship @ Cabanas; Rainforest Family Adventure - DCL ~ 1 p.m. will update later with an exact time; Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show - DYI - literally right next to the port; and indulged in a "quick" snack of fresh Alaskan King Crab with butter :) before heading back to the ship by 7:15 p.m. All aboard set at 7:45 p.m

So, it was stressful, but well worth it.

June 2nd, 2018 (Day 1): Leaving San Jose Int'l. airport with a stop over in Seattle, WA before landing in Vancouver, BC.

It was a good morning! I woke up early ~5:30 a.m. to start packing the last of the things. I woke up DH right after even though we were not scheduled to be picked up or leave until 12 p.m. Started a load of laundry and finished drying the clothing before 8 a.m. Made breakfast and started loading the dishwasher. Then, woke up the DD18 and DD15. They struggled, but they got up around 9:30 a.m. Fed them and started going through the check list. Reminded the girls to go through their checklist and pack enough jeans and shirts for their carry-on in case the luggage gets lost. DH is going over what plants to water when we are gone with our neighbor. We start moving the 4 big luggages and 4 carry-ons down the stairs and in front of our garage. I am now tired hahah! I remind everyone of their medicines especially for allergic reactions, e.g., epi-pens, Bendaryl, zyrtec (this one was not packed). We have a quick bite. My DD15's best-friend's mom and neighbor offered to drive us to the airport in the van. She arrived and we had to turn the car around and start loading. As I start locking up and making sure that we have "everything", I noticed that they are having challenges placing all the luggage in the van. hahah! 4 adults and 2 teens along with 5 big luggages and 5 carry-ons. We are now headed down the highway and driving to the San Jose Int'l airport. We park at the 1 hour parking on the street level next to baggage claim. It cost $2. We all haul the luggage to check it. Please note that when I checked our party into Alaska Airlines, it did not print boarding or luggage tags. The airlines required that we get them at the counter after we showed our passports. So, we do through TSA Pre (signed up for this two years ago, because we travel alot). Super easy! It's now 12:45 p.m.

Then, here's where we almost never made it to our flight. We found our gate which was the last one far from all the foods. The DD15, her best-friend, and I were hungry. Our flight was not scheduled to leave until 2:50 p.m. We thought that they were going to start boarding around 2:30 p.m. We walked to the other side of the terminal where Le Boulanger was and purchased our sandwiches and bottled waters. We took our time thinking that we had enough time. When we finally returned, DH and DD18 decided to go get something to eat 1:30 p.m. I noticed that our gate had three other flights scheduled. Then, around 1:50 p.m., I heard an announcement that the 3 p.m. flight is a little delayed. hmmm! interesting. I thought how is our flight going to get out. Then, I heard the announcement that they were boarding families with young babies who need extra time. So, I decided to look at the Departure board to see when our flight was boarding It was now. My phone was dying and my DH and DD18 never answer their phone. However, I decided to give it a try. They were on the other side of the terminal and had to walk back. UGH! I told the girls to start packing up and their stuff and head over to the line, because they called our number. I had to stay with the other carry-ons that DH and DD18 left behind. As it it now almost time, we finally got in line and settled ourselves into our seats. I decided to speak with the airline personnel and expressed my concern whether we had enough time to make our connecting flights in Seattle. We were arrive at the N gates @ 5:50 p.m. and were situated in rows 26 and 27. Did we have enough time to get off? The stewardess reassured me that we should have no issues getting to the C gates. We had to figure out that quickly. It turned out that our pilot was going to land several minutes earlier. Gave me hope! Will continue with the flight story later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!