Disney World versus Disneyland??

TurnDownForWalt

DIS Veteran
I've been to Disney World Orlando roughly 20x throughout my life, and I keep going back because I love it and I'm a loyal Disney World nerd.

However, I'm tempted to plan a trip out west to Disneyland in 2021... Is Disneyland worth it in comparison to what everything WDW offers? Can you do Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park in two full days? I've heard some mixed reviews on Disneyland.. so all you Disneyland people.. please.. EXPLAIN WHY DISNEYLAND IS BETTER (or at least.. worth the visit)!! 😄

DL is half the size of WDW. Each pRk can easily be done in its entirety in one day.
It’s where it all started. For that reason alone, it’s worth going

This should be moved to the Disneyland Forums, you'll receive a lot more feedback. Moving on . . .

Yes!! Times 100. DLR is worth it. It is the original. It is special. Sure it is not as expansive as WDW, but those two parks cram in a lot more rides than you think. I would give it 3 days, and park hop with max pass, but that is just me.

DLR is a lot more relaxed that WDW. That is something wonderful in itself. No making ADR's 6 months out. No FP+ to stress over at 7am a month or two before you leave. And you don't have to rely on busses or any type of transit to hop between the 2 parks and Downtown Disney. SO NICE!

California Adventure has the best show I think of any Disney park, WOC. :love:

As for rides, you will get rides you can't get at WDW. I won't list them all, but biggies include Matterhorn, Indy, RSR, Incredicoaster, and GotG. And IASW, POTC and Space are much better at DLR. (on the flip side, MK does a better Splash).

Food! I like the food better at DLR. You haven't had a churro until you had a DL churro. And their QS restaurants are quite good, a lot better than WDW imho.

You need to check it out for yourself. Yes, you will look at the castle and be underwhelmed. Know that going in.

I don't think you will be disappointed as you are a loyal Disney World nerd. You have to branch out and see what other parks have to offer. ::yes::

I only go to Orlando because I like Universal better there, but to be honest if it was only for WDW I would just go to Disneyland.

Disneyland does not require as much planning as WDW. The crowds tend to be a little better from my experience, no need to fight for a fastpass 60 days before your trip, you can just walk to DCA, the Indiana Jones ride is one of my favorites, more hotel options on a walking distance, etc.

BUT there is no Epcot (I don't like this park, so I don't mind not going) or AK (I haaaaaate Avatar. It makes me rage hahahahaha).

If you are planning to ride ALL rides, then 2 days are not enough. If you plan to ride the main atractions I think is pretty doable.

If I were you I would pick Disneyland for a number of reasons:
1. you haven't been there (and you have been to WDW many times)
2. it is so much more manageable to successfully plan
3. it is cheaper -- for example you can stay at cheaper off site hotels without sacrificing convenience/distance/FastPass+ priority like you do at WDW

While I do greatly prefer WDW, and it's not close, I still love DL and definitely think it is worth a visit. My DL trips are actually significantly harder for me to plan and manage since I'm so used to the WDW way.

Someone just asked me today at work if I like Disneyland better than WDW and the answer is you can't compare the two. They both offer things that are unique to each park, and when I am in one, I miss things about the other.

That said, you absolutely should give it a try. 3 days is the minimum I would go to DL for, but I think you can do most of the unique things in 2. As others have said, you can stay off site for cheaper but still be within walking distance. The parks are right next to each other so you can hop back and forth as much as you want. You are never waiting on transportation to take you to the park (it was the one thing I did not like at WDW, that you had to take a bus most everywhere). And while I miss having places like Sci Fi dinner or Be Our Guest, or any place in Epcot a lot of the counter service places at DL are fun and have some good food options. I prefer Disney Springs and all it has to offer shoppingwise over Downtown Disney but I do love strolling around DTD and hearing all the sounds. Last year we had a room at the GCH that overlooked DTD and I just loved listening to everything going on all different times of the day.

The ques are better in a lot of the WDW rides but there is something so charming about Walt's original park and how it is laid out. Also I look at WDW as a total week-week and a half relaxing vacation where DL is where I can go to get my quick fix. I don't need a lot of advance planning, I don't need to book my fast passes 60 days out. I can go and do whatever I feel like when I feel like it (not to say I don't do a little planning and advance reservations but nothing like WDW).

If you can give it a go you totally should. Even if you decide you prefer WDW, I think DL is something every Disney fan should try once.

We're WDW vets who visited Disneyland 2 years ago. We loved it. No ridiculous dining reservations 6 months in advance. No Fastpass planning 2 months in advance. But that's just logistics. Disneyland Park is far superior to the Magic Kingdom. And I absolutely love the Maguc Kingdom. And DCA is a great park to spend a day or 2 at. We're going back in April.

Quick question since i see many commenting on the FP issue - how do FPs work in DCA/DL? Were going to get maxpass and not really sure how it works.

This should be moved to the Disneyland Forums, you'll receive a lot more feedback. Moving on . . .

Yes!! Times 100. DLR is worth it. It is the original. It is special. Sure it is not as expansive as WDW, but those two parks cram in a lot more rides than you think. I would give it 3 days, and park hop with max pass, but that is just me.

DLR is a lot more relaxed that WDW. That is something wonderful in itself. No making ADR's 6 months out. No FP+ to stress over at 7am a month or two before you leave. And you don't have to rely on busses or any type of transit to hop between the 2 parks and Downtown Disney. SO NICE!

California Adventure has the best show I think of any Disney park, WOC. :love:

As for rides, you will get rides you can't get at WDW. I won't list them all, but biggies include Matterhorn, Indy, RSR, Incredicoaster, and GotG. And IASW, POTC and Space are much better at DLR. (on the flip side, MK does a better Splash).

Food! I like the food better at DLR. You haven't had a churro until you had a DL churro. And their QS restaurants are quite good, a lot better than WDW imho.

You need to check it out for yourself. Yes, you will look at the castle and be underwhelmed. Know that going in.

I don't think you will be disappointed as you are a loyal Disney World nerd. You have to branch out and see what other parks have to offer. ::yes::
AGREE 100 %!!
If your a big disney nerd I'd recommend 4 days and do the Walk in Walts Footsteps one day.

I went to WDW this past December(long time Disneyland visitor) and I really missed the charm of DL's Fantasyland. I really enjoyed both Resorts and I'm hoping to visit WDW in 5 years and looking forward to getting my first DL AP later this year.

We do WDW more often because it is less travel time for us. But we love Disneyland! It honestly has a really magical feeling, IMO. It has less of a Disney bubble, but I still love it. It is very special to be where it all began and know Walt was there. That is the Disney nerd in me coming out, but it’s the truth! It is also more compact and less stressful.

I've been to Disney World Orlando roughly 20x throughout my life, and I keep going back because I love it and I'm a loyal Disney World nerd.

However, I'm tempted to plan a trip out west to Disneyland in 2021... Is Disneyland worth it in comparison to what everything WDW offers? Can you do Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park in two full days? I've heard some mixed reviews on Disneyland.. so all you Disneyland people.. please.. EXPLAIN WHY DISNEYLAND IS BETTER (or at least.. worth the visit)!! 😄
An excerpt from "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

22. Areas Where DLR Exceeds WDW

Let me come out and say it right upfront - WDW has many things about it better than DLR. However, not everything about WDW is better than DLR and there are several areas where DLR exceeds WDW. That is what makes each resort special. Here is my list of areas where DLR exceeds WDW:

1. Weather - IMO the weather at DLR is better than WDW on average, and especially in the summer. Less rain and less humidity. See "Comparison of Weather For WDW and DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1711098

2. Ride concentration - One would think that WDW would have twice as many rides as DLR since it has twice as many parks. Nope. DLR's two parks have almost as many rides as WDW's four parks put together. DLR has lots more rides packed into those little parks!

3. Entertainment - as of today most of DLR's top shows are better than their counterparts at WDW. That would be World of Color, Fantasmic and the Frozen stage show. DL has had better fireworks than MK since Remember Dreams Come True fireworks/laser/special effects show (shown seasonally) debuted in 2005. However, the new Happily Ever After finally brings MK fireworks up to par with DL.

4. Accessibility - everything can be reached on foot and park hopping takes about 1 minute. The walking distance hotels makes for a different experience.

5. Longer park hours - along with #4 above makes it easier to spend more time in the parks.

6. Much less need for planning - for those accustomed to choosing parks and ADR's 6 months in advance you can forget about that. You can't make dining reservations until 2 months in advance and even then they are in much less demand than WDW. Even if you wait until a week before your trip many dining reservations are still available. And since it is so easy to parkhop there is no need to commit to parks on given days. Finally, if you stay at a walking distance hotel there is no need to plan for transportation.

7. Seasonal makeovers - Because DLR caters less to out-of-town vacationers they are more free to change their rides. So every year three rides get seasonal makeovers: From September-January Haunted Mansion is converted into "Haunted Mansion Holiday". From November-January It's A Small World is converted into "It's A Small World Holiday" and from September-October Space Mountain is converted into Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. This keeps the parks more dynamic and interesting. This does require taking down the rides to install and remove the makeover elements.

8. Extended trip touring outside DLR - as discussed in the next section, there is a lot to do in California if you stay longer than DLR - natural, cultural, historical, entertainment, sports, etc. More of a variety and more interesting things than Florida. Fabulous National Parks such as Yosemite and Sequoia, within reach of the Grand Canyon in adjacent Arizona, accessible to Las Vegas, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, Wine Country north of the Bay Area, Monterey, Big Sur coastline, and Death Valley. Then there is Hollywood and the entertainment industry, aviation history, a real Universal Studios that is not just a theme park, Spanish mission history, mountains and skiing, and whitewater rafting. The list goes on and on and on. Florida is not without opportunities outside WDW but the list is much shorter.

23. Other Destinations in Southern California

Some potential DLR visitors may conclude that a 3-5 day visit to DLR is not worth the effort because it is too short. To make the trip more worthwhile you may want to consider other destinations in Southern California.

One possibility to consider is the Southern California CityPass, which offers three days at DLR, one day at Sea World San Diego (80-100 miles / 130-160 km away), one day at the San Diego Zoo (also 80-100 miles / 130-160 km away) and one day at Universal Studios Hollywood (40 miles / 65 km away). All for about $350 per adult ticket. Tickets can be bought on the DLR website and other locations.

Knott's Berry Farm is near DLR and is actually older than DL. It has turned into a more full-fledged theme park of its own. I have not been there for 35 years but back then it was a fun place to go. Do some research if you are interested.

Up Interstate 5 about 40 miles (65 km) away from DLR is the real, actual Hollywood. And near that is Universal Studios Hollywood (USH). If you are interested in either or both of these destinations you may want to try to schedule them on or near weekends. If you were to visit both, then a local hotel might be a good idea and you could visit them on subsequent days. The reason for scheduling these on weekends is that it allows easier day time driving from DLR. Or you can do your driving late in the evening. Otherwise you can take your chances with the Southern California freeway traffic. Also if you are interested you can obtain tickets to see live tapings of certain shows. These will be at other network studio locations in and around Hollywood and typically on weekdays. I had occasion to do all of these things when I lived in California.

If you travel south of DLR on Interstate 5 about 80-100 miles you will come to Sea World San Diego which sits on a beautiful location straddling Mission Bay and the Pacific Ocean. SW is a one-day destination. Nearby is the world famous San Diego Zoo. And in northern San Diego (but inland and away from Interstate 5) is the Wild Animal Park which has some parallels to WDW's Animal Kingdom. It is operated in conjunction with the San Diego Zoo. I had occasion to visit all of these when I lived in San Diego 25 years ago, and have visited Sea World several times over the last few years.

Then there is Legoland in Carlsbad, California. Carlsbad is at the northernmost edge of San Diego County and near Interstate 5 (about 50-60 miles / 80-100 km from DLR). Legoland is a theme park with rides that revolve around the Lego theme. For those of you who missed childhood, Legos are those little building blocks that children use to build up creative three-dimensional structures. I have never been to LegoLand which opened in 1999. Legoland appeals more to the under-12 crowd, but there are some things there to interest older kids. I have been told that they have a few thrill coasters, and Miniland, including an informative and fun boat tour, are not to be missed. Many of the United States major cities and historical landmarks have been recreated using nothing but standard Lego bricks that anyone can purchase.

If you travel to the north on Interstate 5 (80-100 miles / 130-160 km) you will come to Six Flags Magic Mountain with its array of thriller roller coasters. I last did Magic Mountain about 25 years ago and it has gained a reputation as a hangout for gang members (just warning you).

OK, a couple of quick mentions to round things out. Mission San Juan Capistrano in south Orange County and right along Interstate 5 is one of the early missions established by the Spanish when exploring California and has a nice tour. And the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles is an area where many pre-historic creatures got ensnared and died. The tar pits are still there bubbling up in the middle of Los Angeles, and the exhibits there and animal skeletal findings are on display and quite interesting. Also there is the Santa Monica Pier on the coast near Los Angeles. This offers some interesting shopping, dining, aquatic displays, and amusement areas. It is often found in Hollywood movies so you may recognize some things there from movies.

Last but not least are the Southern California beaches - a special temptation in the summer time. For those easterners not in the know, the Pacific Ocean waters circulate down from Alaska along the California coast and the water at the beaches is pretty cold. Even during mid-summer the temperatures will peak at around 72 degrees (22 C) - on a good day. If you go in the summer be aware that the water temperature is tolerable albeit a bit shocking when you first get in. Once you get used to it, it is really not that bad. Nice, nearby beaches to DLR in Orange County are Newport Beach, Laguna Beach and Huntington Beach. If you go down to San Diego there are many nice beaches there as well - we have frequently spent a week down there in the summer.

We had been to DL a few times and decided to go and visit WDW. We all decided it was a one and done. I would love to have Expedition Everest on the West coast, but I am glad I rode it a few times.
The transportation was one of our biggest issues😡I love to just walk between the parks. Just my 2 cents

Asking which is better is like asking which is the better flavor of ice cream at Baskin & Robbins. You wouldn't go to WDW expecting a DL experience. And you wouldn't go to DL expecting a WDW experience. They're both great. They're just different. Here are MY personal top reasons why I think that DL is great:

1. Park hopping is so easy. They are SO close. Closer than walking from the MK turn stiles to the ferry boat launch.
  2. FP, especially if you pay for Max Pass, is superior at DL.
  3. Quick Service restaurants offer a wider variety of food & it's not all burgers, hot dogs, & fries.
  4. Character interaction - it's more organic, spontaneous, fluid. Way more characters roaming around. Some even without a Photo Pass photographer and sometimes not even a character handler. No, you can't get a FP to meet a character, but it's not necessary at DL.
  5. The pirate band that roams around New Orleans Square
  6. the Davey Crockett Explorer Canoes
  7. POTC is twice as long and has 2 drops.
  8. Space Mtn is a better ride, you can HEAR the music, and it doesn't leave me feeling like I'm ready to throw up.
  9. Carsland. All of it.
  10. Grizzly River Run is much longer than Kali River Rapids. More thrilling and doesn't feel like it's over in the blink of an eye.
  11. The weather is usually better. Not so sweaty.
  12. The outside facade of It's A Small World is really beautiful at night. And that's a great spot to watch the fireworks yet still see projections.
  13. DL has the Matterhorn.
  14. You can still see cartoons at the Opera House.
  15. it has Great Moments with Mr Lincoln, which inspired the Hall of Presidents at MK.
  16. Getting ADRs is way easier and you don't have to sweat about being online 6 months before your trip just to get a breakfast, lunch, or dinner reservation somewhere.

I've been to WDW multiple times over the course of my life. I LOVE WDW. But we just returned from a trip to DLR and I will tell, if I lived equal distance from each park, I would choose to visit DLR over WDW. Mainly because it just feels more relaxed. Since it's a locals park and not "once-in-a-lifetime-dream-vacation-that-I-spent-$5000-on" park, I feel like overall vibe is more chill. Plus it's Walt's park and there is something very special about that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter