Disney World versus Disneyland??

Agree with everything said above except:

1) BTMMR is better at DL due to the final lift hill scene. It's close, but DL gets the nod IMO.
2) Peter Pan is are equal in both parks.
3) Jungle Cruise is better at WDW because I think it's slightly longer.
Peter Pan is way better at WDW!

Agree with everything said above except:

1) BTMMR is better at DL due to the final lift hill scene. It's close, but DL gets the nod IMO.
2) Peter Pan is are equal in both parks.
3) Jungle Cruise is better at WDW because I think it's slightly longer.
I'll agree with you on BTMRR - I think I'm just a little jaded because the cue area has not been entirely maintained in DL through the years. WDW Peter Pan has a better cue. I prefer the DL Jungle Cruise because it is small and the skippers don't run the boats flat out as you ride - they have to slow down/stop along the route to maintain space between boats and the timing of the punchlines is better (plus you can hear them).

I notice the OP hasn't replied yet.

So many things are already covered, but I think what's important is what the guests wants from a vacation.

WDW offers ...
  • More diverse resort selection and a more resort-like feel
  • A much wider variety of sit-down dining options, largely because of EPCOT, Disney Springs, and resort dining
  • Better park diversity, DL doesn't really offer anything along the lines of World Showcase or Animal Kingdom. I know these have a big appeal to those are aren't large thrill seekers
  • A better selection of shows, though many seem an afterthought to fill out the attraction list
  • Golf, boating, fishing
  • Water parks
  • Larger shopping and dining in general
DLR offers...
  • Rides. The 2 DL parks offers more rides than all four WDW parks combined. DL itself has more rides than any two WDW parks
  • Walk-able. DL and DCA combined are the roughly same size as EPCOT. All shopping and dining and hotels are in a walk-able footprint
  • History. It is the park that Walt built, ran, and strolled around. It's history and attractions are well documented for those who want to research. The park may not look the same as it does in old documentaries and TV specials, but so much is still there to see just as Walt introduced it
  • A better quality of shows
  • Seasonal layovers. DL caters to the guest to goes ~3 times year, so they like to change it up some
Personally, we are ride people and love DL. 15 hours a day all rides, no pool time, no shows. fWe also enjoy the more "laid back" planning many people here already praised (since we ride most rides multiple times, planning a few FP+ six weeks in advance seems anal-retentive). When at WDW, we made heavy use of the water parks, golf courses, and EPCOT and AK, but go to MK less and less because it just doesn't live up to DL.

Last edited:

I notice the OP hasn't replied yet.

So many things are already covered, but I think what's important is what the guests wants from a vacation.

WDW offers ...
  • More diverse resort selection and a more resort-like feel
  • A much wider variety of sit-down dining options, largely because of EPCOT, Disney Springs, and resort dining
  • Better park diversity, DL doesn't really offer anything along the lines of World Showcase or Animal Kingdom. I know these have a big appeal to those are aren't large thrill seekers
  • A better selection of shows, though many seem an afterthought to fill out the attraction list
  • Golf, boating, fishing
  • Water parks
  • Larger shopping and dining in general
DLR offers...
  • Rides. The 2 DL parks offers more rides than all four WDW parks combined. DL itself has more rides than any two WDW parks
  • Walk-able. DL and DCA combined are the roughly same size as EPCOT. All shopping and dining and hotels are in a walk-able footprint
  • History. It is the park that Walt built, ran, and strolled around. It's history and attractions are well documented for those who want to research. The park may not look the same as it does in old documentaries and TV specials, but so much is still there to see just as Walt introduced it
  • A better quality of shows
  • Seasonal layovers. DL caters to the guest to goes ~3 times year, so they like to change it up some
Personally, we are ride people and love DL. 15 hours a day all rides, no pool time, no shows. fWe also enjoy the more "laid back" planning many people here already praised (since we ride most rides multiple times, planning a few FP+ six weeks in advance seems anal-retentive). When at WDW, we made heavy use of the water parks, golf courses, and EPCOT and AK, but go to MK less and less because it just doesn't live up to DL.

This is mostly spot on and perhaps in part what I was trying to convey in my original post. There are several great things about WDW: more sit down food options and a more long-term vacation location. However, if we are talking about a pure park experience (going on multiple great attractions, a more laid back, fun day), DL just beats the pants off of WDW. If you want the WDW experience (more food options, the Disney bubble, etc.) and you don't care about wasting your day in line waiting for the top attractions or getting from park to park, have at it. Disneyland Resort is on average a far more pleasant experience if you just want a simple day or two at the parks. And I guess that's what I'm looking for when I go to theme parks (although I enjoy the sit down dining options at WDW).

This is mostly spot on and perhaps in part what I was trying to convey in my original post. There are several great things about WDW: more sit down food options and a more long-term vacation location. However, if we are talking about a pure park experience (going on multiple great attractions, a more laid back, fun day), DL just beats the pants off of WDW. If you want the WDW experience (more food options, the Disney bubble, etc.) and you don't care about wasting your day in line waiting for the top attractions or getting from park to park, have at it. Disneyland Resort is on average a far more pleasant experience if you just want a simple day or two at the parks. And I guess that's what I'm looking for when I go to theme parks (although I enjoy the sit down dining options at WDW).
Yeah, in that case, you're gonna dig it. ...AND the weather! Don't forget that. Every time I go to WDW in the summer everyone looks at me like I have a 3'rd nostril for leaving such nice weather and coming out to the heat and humidity. It's different for us though, so in some strange way even that is enjoyable.

Yeah, in that case, you're gonna dig it. ...AND the weather! Don't forget that. Every time I go to WDW in the summer everyone looks at me like I have a 3'rd nostril for leaving such nice weather and coming out to the heat and humidity. It's different for us though, so in some strange way even that is enjoyable.

The summer is ideal for leaving the WDW parks and taking advantage of those resort pools mid-day. WDW parks are pretty miserable in the late morning and afternoon during the summer. Daytime humidity takes the fun out of almost everything, but I'd still take the heat over snow, ice, gray and cold.

I think they both have their merits, and that more people would enjoy both than many would think. While WDW has some incredible experiences that will simply never be possible at Disneyland, I find that in most areas where they are directly comparable, Disneyland is superior.

The big thing, I find, is to come in with proper expectations. If you expect WDW west, you will be disappointed. Disneyland's operates more similarly to the international resorts (and other US theme parks big and small) than WDW. As a result, you will have to unlearn a lot of what WDW has conditioned you to do. Scheduling things far in advance, generally speaking, is not a thing, and everything is more spontaneous and relaxed. If you try to overplan, you will find Disneyland, far from acquiescing as WDW does, will start to work against you. It might seem strange or stressful at first, to not be able to make all of these choices you're used to at WDW, but chances are good that you will be doing everything right.

It's also much easier to get everything done, especially if you get there early! I find that average queue length at Disneyland tends to be about half as long as what they are at WDW, in many cases (IMO) for superior versions of the rides.

I think that everyone, no matter how much they love WDW, should go to Disneyland at least once. You'll have a better appreciation for the parks if you do, IMO.

Last edited:
I thought for a very long time that "Why would I go to DL, WDW is bigger, better, etc..." but we took a trip out west and thought we would give DL a try back in 2013, my son was young and WAY into Cars so we thought we would go once and then continue our trips to Florida. Well...after our first trip I was hooked on DL. I find pure joy at DL & CA. I love that they are close to eachother and to DTD. I dont feel rushed at all when we are there so I feel all the WDW excitement plus a more relaxed atmosphere. We spend minimal time "traveling" between parks and around the property. It also seems to much easier to enjoy all the other aspects of CA too while there. Not only the mention of Carsland, but Pirates is much better as is Space Mountain and It's a Small World. Things are compact but just as magical. We never leave feeling that we "missed" something. 3 days is the perfect amount, park hopping is a breeze as is MAXPASS. It's also seems easier to eat, shop, take an afternoon break than in FL. I don't need to plan 6 months in advance for my meals or Fastpasses. My whole family likes DL much better now):)

I've been to Disney World Orlando roughly 20x throughout my life, and I keep going back because I love it and I'm a loyal Disney World nerd.

However, I'm tempted to plan a trip out west to Disneyland in 2021... Is Disneyland worth it in comparison to what everything WDW offers? Can you do Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park in two full days? I've heard some mixed reviews on Disneyland.. so all you Disneyland people.. please.. EXPLAIN WHY DISNEYLAND IS BETTER (or at least.. worth the visit)!! 😄
After 3 pages of comments, what do you think? Does this help you?

That post repeated says “rides” but actually lists “attractions..” I hardly consider “Hall of Presidents” (or “Great Moments with Abe Lincoln”) a “ride.”
You may want to make your own list then. I made my list using my best judgement, and explained my criteria in the post. While also explaining that it can be ambiguous.

:wizard:

If you were really asking the second question, an "E-Ticket" ride is a major headliner ride. In the original days of DL, there were ticket books for rides A, B, C, D and E. The "E" ticket was for the headliner rides and there were fewer of those in the ticket book. As you went down to D and C tickets and so forth, the rides were less exciting. The name "E-Ticket" has stuck around at Disney even though the ticket books were disbanded in the 1980's as I recall. But I definitely remember the ticket books as a child!

:wizard:

You (and others) answered perfectly for me! This is so cool. I need to learn more about the history of DL. I have been watching The Imagineering Story on Disney+. Any other shows my girls and I could watch to learn before we go?

I thought for a very long time that "Why would I go to DL, WDW is bigger, better, etc..." but we took a trip out west and thought we would give DL a try back in 2013, my son was young and WAY into Cars so we thought we would go once and then continue our trips to Florida. Well...after our first trip I was hooked on DL. I find pure joy at DL & CA. I love that they are close to eachother and to DTD. I dont feel rushed at all when we are there so I feel all the WDW excitement plus a more relaxed atmosphere. We spend minimal time "traveling" between parks and around the property. It also seems to much easier to enjoy all the other aspects of CA too while there. Not only the mention of Carsland, but Pirates is much better as is Space Mountain and It's a Small World. Things are compact but just as magical. We never leave feeling that we "missed" something. 3 days is the perfect amount, park hopping is a breeze as is MAXPASS. It's also seems easier to eat, shop, take an afternoon break than in FL. I don't need to plan 6 months in advance for my meals or Fastpasses. My whole family likes DL much better now):)

Yep. If you can get over the "Disneyland is so small compared to WDW" mentality, I think most who are there for the park experience should enjoy Disneyland considerably more than WDW. While not perfect by any means, DL is just a much better park experience. Vacations should be reasonably relaxed, even at a theme park, and WDW does not provide that if you're going in wanting to enjoy multiple attractions.

That post repeated says “rides” but actually lists “attractions..” I hardly consider “Hall of Presidents” (or “Great Moments with Abe Lincoln”) a “ride.”

That's because Disney parks don't have RIDES (besides Mr. Toad's Wild Ride). Disney only offers attractions.

Lots of threads on this, so I will copy my reply from before :)
https://www.disboards.com/threads/disneyland-vs-disneyworld.3774601/page-3

WDW

• Much better as a "Resort" for a weeks stay in the Disney Bubble
  • Much better option of Universal Studios parks than Cali (We actually spend more time at Universal in Florida than Disney Now)
  • MUCH better Table Service options and PLENTY of them.....Good Lord, O'Hana is heaven!
  • Crowds are worse, people are rude
  • Staying off property is a pain
  • Staying on property is great...and Expensive potentially
  • Multiple Parks and much better options for older kids and parents
  • Still has the People Mover !
  • New Yorkers :(
DL

• Much better "Disney" feel
  • Better versions of the rides
  • STUPID expensive on-property hotels...avoid completely
  • Easier to navigate
  • Better park customer temperment
  • Many fun things to do in Southern California, better climate
  • Table Service options suck, crazy expensive, mediocre service at best.
  • No New Yorkers!
  • AP'ers can be a huge problem. Avoid themed days and event days that tend to draw them in and clog everything up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!