Disneyland 10 days post surgery?

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
So, I just received a call from my dr who needs to schedule me for surgery 10 days before our disneyland trip (it was either that or 3 days so I decided 10). This trip is already is going to have it's share of challenges involved with the trip, but I 100% can't miss this trip or postpone it. :sad2:
Dr has said no physical or strenuous activity for several weeks after surgery so I will now be in the restricted activity time frame. That means no swimming in hotel pool as well due to stitches.

I normally do every ride and E tickets are my favorite. My dr. hasn't been to DLR so can't comment on ride intensity but said rides like Six Flags were off the table. And listen to my body.
But I really don't want to be dumb and ride something I shouldn't and end up in trouble. Surgery will be in the abdomen area, so anything with a tight lap bar is out (dark ride style should be fine since it's not tight for me).

So I'm thinking rides I 100% shouldn't do are: Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, GOTG, Incredicoaster, Matterhorn, Goofys Sky School

What do you guys think about rides like, Splash, GRR, Star Tours, Canoes, Roger Rabbit, Racers, and BTMRR? Also ROTR and MFSR. I have only ridden MFSR twice? so I don't remember and have no idea about ROTR.

If I did water rides I would wear a poncho that way I don't have damp clothes sitting on the incisions. Any others I might want to consider not riding I didn't ilst?

UPDATE: Another question. What should we do with our extra day? We arrive Fri morning and are doing DL with the family Sat and Sun as they don't arrive until friday night. We were going to do Knotts friday, but that is definitely out as every ride there that is fun, in my opion, is out. Beach is out since I can't swim. Thoughts? We always do theme parks, water parks, or beach so i am in super new territory here.

Last edited:
I think it kind of depends what surgery you are having. If you are having your stomach muscles cut, I would say all those rides are out. If its just a top layer of skin incision it might be different. Can you schedule the surgery after the trip?

I think anything with a drop, no matter how mild, would be out since the body tends to tense in anticipation. Rides with jerky motion might be tough, too.

I had surgery a couple years ago and honestly felt worn out for the first two weeks. I have a decent pain tolerance but couldn't sit down comfortably for a month. Good luck on your surgery. Definitely listen to your body and rest as needed.

I think it kind of depends what surgery you are having. If you are having your stomach muscles cut, I would say all those rides are out. If its just a top layer of skin incision it might be different. Can you schedule the surgery after the trip?
Can't postpone it. We just got biopsy results back and Dr. actually wanted it sooner, but because of dr. surgery schedule and insurance battles. The 7th is the soonest it can happen, and the 14th is the absolute latest she wants to wait.
Especially since she is taking my father's health into consideration (it turned bad for him quick), she doesn't want to wait for it to get worse and potentially spread.

I think anything with a drop, no matter how mild, would be out since the body tends to tense in anticipation. Rides with jerky motion might be tough, too.

I had surgery a couple years ago and honestly felt worn out for the first two weeks. I have a decent pain tolerance but couldn't sit down comfortably for a month. Good luck on your surgery. Definitely listen to your body and rest as needed.
That is an excellent point. I did not think about the tensing up. I was just thinking not too jerky. But then now that I think about it, I feel like that last drop on GRR always gets backed up and you slam into the boat in front of you pretty hard, and then get hit from behind by the next boat too. I've definitely been tossed a little at that moment.
Wow. This is gonna suck . :sad2:

Speaking as someone who has had three abdominal surgeries I wouldn’t do any of those rides 10 days out. I would stick to rides that pregnant women can go on and even use discretion on those.

there are lots of fun rides you can still go on though so don’t despair. I had a lot of fun going on rides when pregnant. Soarin was a favorite.

I agree that staying off the rides not recommended for those who are pregnant sounds like the safest best, which includes BTMRR (you didn't have that in your absolute not ride category). I hope you can enjoy the trip with whatever you can ride and enjoy slowing down and taking in the details that you might sometimes miss.

Speaking as someone who has had three abdominal surgeries I wouldn’t do any of those rides 10 days out. I would stick to rides that pregnant women can go on and even use discretion on those.

there are lots of fun rides you can still go on though so don’t despair. I had a lot of fun going on rides when pregnant. Soarin was a favorite.
I agree that staying off the rides not recommended for those who are pregnant sounds like the safest best, which includes BTMRR (you didn't have that in your absolute not ride category). I hope you can enjoy the trip with whatever you can ride and enjoy slowing down and taking in the details that you might sometimes miss.
I don't know why I didn't consider this.🤦‍♀️I think I will look through the boards and go based on what pregnant women have done. Thanks for that.
Do you know how MFSR and ROTR would fall in this category?

I went with a friend who had surgery on her abdomen a few weeks before we went, her problem wasn't the ride itself but the process of getting in and out of the ride vehicle itself.
Hmm. are there any you remember that were particularly difficult?

I think it will depend a lot on the physical impact of the surgery.

I had my ovaries removed and could ride everything by 10 days later. I had a mastectomy and couldn’t ride a bunch of stuff for nearly two months. Some unexpected stuff would bug me, like Mr. Toad’s!

ROTR is pretty darn tame. I rode it less than two weeks after my most recent reconstruction surgery, which was maybe pushing it a bit, but was fine. I would not have ridden MFSR or Star Tours on that day.

I think it will depend a lot on the physical impact of the surgery.

I had my ovaries removed and could ride everything by 10 days later. I had a mastectomy and couldn’t ride a bunch of stuff for nearly two months. Some unexpected stuff would bug me, like Mr. Toad’s!

ROTR is pretty darn tame. I rode it less than two weeks after my most recent reconstruction surgery, which was maybe pushing it a bit, but was fine. I would not have ridden MFSR or Star Tours on that day.
Thank you for that info. ROTR was one I was really hoping I could ride since this will be my first time at the park since it's opened.

I remember being 21 years old and having abdominal surgery, I returned to university the week after my surgery but I know for a fact that going to Disneyland would have been unpleasant. Now, I am not saying don't go, I am saying go and take it as easy as you have to. The last thing you want is to set yourself back from the surgery - to tear something - to strain something - it's not worth a ride.

Easy for us all to say but any of us can have a set back that can toss a wrench into plans at the park. Two years ago my daughter split a large amount of hot wax from a candle on my bare foot 2 days before we left. That was very painful and make walking hard that trip - but I still managed to have fun, I just had to slow down and take more breaks.

First off I hope the surgery is successful and that your trip to Disneyland is wonderful, but have to ask - is there no way to postpone the trip to Disneyland if the surgery cannot be postponed?

I don't know why I didn't consider this.🤦‍♀️I think I will look through the boards and go based on what pregnant women have done. Thanks for that.
Do you know how MFSR and ROTR would fall in this category?
MFSR and ROTR both have height limitations, meaning they both also have pregnancy warnings.

I'd really consider an ECV. Last Halloween my husband's assistant met me at the parks so his CM girlfriend could sign me in for the day. He had just had an abdominal hernia reduction done about 10 days before. He was walking pretty darn slow, and pretty uncomfortably. I'm sure he would have been much more comfortable with an ECV/not walking so much.

MFSR and ROTR both have height limitations, meaning they both also have pregnancy warnings.

Not all rides with height limitations have pregnancy warnings.

Soarin, Jumping Jellyfish and Silly Symphony Swings have height limitations but pregnant women can ride.

I would avoid most rides with drops and major restraint bars. Matterhorn, Space, Splash, BTMRR, Gadget, Guardians, Incredicoaster, RSR, Goofy’s Sky School, being the major ones I can think of off the top of my head. You should be fine on Smuggler’s Run and ROTR.

I will say, as someone who has had two major abdominal surgeries, I can’t imagine going to Disneyland and walking ten days post surgery. I highly recommend an ECV.

... Wow. This is gonna suck . :sad2:
Just coming in as someone who's done the parks with very strict limitations on doctor's orders. Don't think that just because this trip is going to be very different that it will automatically, totally suck. It will be different, that's for sure. And you will have some struggles and challenges because you're just not used to thinking, moving, not moving, etc. a new way. BUT... this can still be a really fun, surprisingly good trip because of the new way you'll be forced to experience the parks. I've had trips when I wasn't allowed to ride anything, not even the train, on doctor's orders. Everyone else could ride, but not me! And those trips turned out to be really sweet -- people and CMs were so nice and helpful -- you end up noticing all kinds of things while you're waiting for everyone else to exit rides -- and you can get so many good photos of your family on rides or in lines when they don't see you with the camera! (And given the purpose of your trip, special photos will be so meaningful!) Maybe you'll get some really special time with your dad if he has to take some extra rest time? Maybe he'll be more willing to rest if you are with him? If he's "taking care of you" instead of the other way around, maybe he won't feel weird or like he's being needy? This unexpected "wrench" thrown into your plans might turn out to be a good thing in the long run. Just some thoughts.
ETA: Agree with Winnowill!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter