Disneyland 10 days post surgery?

It's hard to say what you'll be feeling like at 10 days out. Remember that surgery is a traumatic event to your body. I wouldn't be hung up what rides you can or can't do at this point. Schedule everything else that involves sitting down like WOC dessert party, maybe Fantasmic at River Belle seating, etc. I'm really sorry about the timing of all of this. You could end up having more fun without doing a lot of rides, though.

Just walking will create a lot of movement on the tissue that has had the surgery. And, you may find that you are feeling gravity a lot more during the healing time, so standing might wear you out a lot more than you think it will. I agree with others about getting an ECV.

One thing to take into consideration is not just how jerky the ride is itself, but what occurs when the ride has an emergency stop. For that alone, I take racers off the table. And any ride with a lap bar. Another issue to take into account is pain medication. We went when my daughter was about 10 days post surgery. In her case, she did not plan to ride anything except Peter Pan (it had just been revamped). She had broken both legs and had surgery to put in 3 plates and 13 pins to put one leg back together. So while we were "rolling around" (both on ECVs) she thought "Hey, I can get the ECV right up to the seats on Soarin' and will be able to transfer!" So we did. Only for her to get in the air and go "This was a bad idea." She held it together, but realized even something as easy as Soarin' can cause motion sickness with pain meds. This was the same kid who rode BTMRR 10 times in 2 hours during a preview of the reopening 18 mos earlier, so the issue was definitely med related.

If you would like suggestions for alternative activities, my number 1 favorite is the Animation Building. It was a lot of fun with a group because my group consisted of terrible artists and we cracked up at each other's drawings.

One thing to take into consideration is not just how jerky the ride is itself, but what occurs when the ride has an emergency stop. For that alone, I take racers off the table. And any ride with a lap bar. Another issue to take into account is pain medication. We went when my daughter was about 10 days post surgery. In her case, she did not plan to ride anything except Peter Pan (it had just been revamped). She had broken both legs and had surgery to put in 3 plates and 13 pins to put one leg back together. So while we were "rolling around" (both on ECVs) she thought "Hey, I can get the ECV right up to the seats on Soarin' and will be able to transfer!" So we did. Only for her to get in the air and go "This was a bad idea." She held it together, but realized even something as easy as Soarin' can cause motion sickness with pain meds. This was the same kid who rode BTMRR 10 times in 2 hours during a preview of the reopening 18 mos earlier, so the issue was definitely med related.
Do you recall if this was World or Cali? I have heard World causes more motion sickness issues and I think we will be there in the window of Cali for the F&W "overlay"

Do you recall if this was World or Cali? I have heard World causes more motion sickness issues and I think we will be there in the window of Cali for the F&W "overlay"
Soarin' over California. It was 2015, so before World.

I did WDW 10 days after a gall bladder removal. I was moving pretty slow. I found that wearing a post-surgical abdominal binder around my waist was a life saver. It helped keep everything together better to have the pressure for all of the walking. Because I had also had back surgery for a ruptured disc two months prior (that was a bad year!) I already had to avoid many rides so I enjoyed just being able to have time in the park with my family after a few rough months of life, and rested and browsed shops and people watched a lot while they rode the more intense, bumpy rides.

So, I just received a call from my dr who needs to schedule me for surgery 10 days before our disneyland trip (it was either that or 3 days so I decided 10). This trip is already is going to have it's share of challenges involved with the trip, but I 100% can't miss this trip or postpone it. :sad2:
Dr has said no physical or strenuous activity for several weeks after surgery so I will now be in the restricted activity time frame. That means no swimming in hotel pool as well due to stitches.

I normally do every ride and E tickets are my favorite. My dr. hasn't been to DLR so can't comment on ride intensity but said rides like Six Flags were off the table. And listen to my body.
But I really don't want to be dumb and ride something I shouldn't and end up in trouble. Surgery will be in the abdomen area, so anything with a tight lap bar is out (dark ride style should be fine since it's not tight for me).

So I'm thinking rides I 100% shouldn't do are: Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, GOTG, Incredicoaster, Matterhorn, Goofys Sky School

What do you guys think about rides like, Splash, GRR, Star Tours, Canoes, Roger Rabbit, Racers, and BTMRR? Also ROTR and MFSR. I have only ridden MFSR twice? so I don't remember and have no idea about ROTR.

If I did water rides I would wear a poncho that way I don't have damp clothes sitting on the incisions. Any others I might want to consider not riding I didn't ilst?

First off, wishing positive thoughts and vibes for your surgery. Perhaps this trip, you can do things you usually skip, like, ride in the cones of the monorail, enjoy riding the train around the park a couple of times, watching more shows/live entertainment, have a beverage and a snack while people watching on a bench.

Have fun! Will be keeping you in my prayers.

Definitely get an ECV. If you don’t need it that’s a way you can get it for your dad! Or you can take turns. I think this is a blessing in disguise.

I would definitely plan on a ECV. I'd also look for things do do that aren't rides(Mickey and the magical map, character meets, parades, etc..). I can see issues with most rides. You don't realize how much you use your stomach muscles on even the easy rides like Small world. It won't be the ride itself but getting in and out. Also think about how you hold your body on each ride. For instance the canal boats are smooth but... you have to sit up straight ( no back support so your using your abs).

I would start off with a super mellow ride like Haunted Mansion, pooh, LIttle mermaid, maybe buzz ( definitely have them slow down the ride for you!) and see how you feel getting on and off. Then try a boat ride. I think the dark rides might be an issue because of who they go fast side to side - I'm thinking of Mr Toad and Pinocchio. Peter Pan should be ok.

Also remember that you need to rest in order to get heal. I had surgery on my mid section arthroscopicly and felt ok after 7 days. But... what I didn't take into account was how tired I would get doing simple things. I went with my parents to have lunch with my niece(15 minute drive - I was a passenger) about 10 days after surgery - we got there early and walked around costco. By the time it came to have lunch with my neice I was done - I HAD to lay down (sitting was too much effort). Once I was laying down in the back of the car I felt much better.
Also remember that everyone heals differently. My Dr said I'd be at 100% with 8 weeks. I was at probably about 80-90% at 6-8 weeks it took 3 to 4 months to really feel like I was back to my old strength.

I would remove Star Tours from the list because the lap restraint is essentially just a seat belt. If you pitch forward you can put a lot of pressure and stress in that area...

You should be able to do Buzz though! Maybe get addicted to trying to get a high score ;)

I would remove Star Tours from the list because the lap restraint is essentially just a seat belt. If you pitch forward you can put a lot of pressure and stress in that area...

You should be able to do Buzz though! Maybe get addicted to trying to get a high score ;)
For some reason, that is one ride I have never enjoyed, and I have tried to like it. I LOVE TSMM, so I don't know why I don't like Buzz.

Another question. What should we do with our extra day? We arrive Fri morning and are doing DL with the family Sat and Sun as they don't arrive until friday night. DH and I were going to do Knotts friday, but that is definitely out as every ride there that is fun, in my opion, is out and i'm not paying extra money to do nothing there. Thoughts? We always do theme parks, water parks, or beach so i am in super new territory here.

Another question. What should we do with our extra day? We arrive Fri morning and are doing DL with the family Sat and Sun as they don't arrive until friday night. DH and I were going to do Knotts friday, but that is definitely out as every ride there that is fun, in my opion, is out and i'm not paying extra money to do nothing there. Thoughts? We always do theme parks, water parks, or beach so i am in super new territory here.
Personally, I would relax and enjoy DTD. Maybe have a nice meal, enjoy the hotel (forgot if you are staying DLH or Grand) and relax some. You are going to be more tired than you expect.

If you are undergoing general anesthesia you won’t feel that great at 10 days. You probably won’t have the stamina. I tried going basket to work one week after gallbladder surgery and had to take another week off after my one da6 attempt at just sitting at a desk.

Personally, I would relax and enjoy DTD. Maybe have a nice meal, enjoy the hotel (forgot if you are staying DLH or Grand) and relax some. You are going to be more tired than you expect.

+1. You’re probably going to need to rest and recharge for the park days ahead. 10 days out there’s still a lot of basic healing going on.

If you are undergoing general anesthesia you won’t feel that great at 10 days. You probably won’t have the stamina. I tried going basket to work one week after gallbladder surgery and had to take another week off after my one da6 attempt at just sitting at a desk.
+1. You’re probably going to need to rest and recharge for the park days ahead. 10 days out there’s still a lot of basic healing going on.

I have a feeling you guys might be right. Hopefully we have a room ready sooner in the day than later. We are staying at the GCH so the lobby is usually enjoyable, although I do feel around standard "check in" time it can get a little busy in there. Hopefully a room will be ready by then.

I have a feeling you guys might be right. Hopefully we have a room ready sooner in the day than later. We are staying at the GCH so the lobby is usually enjoyable, although I do feel around standard "check in" time it can get a little busy in there. Hopefully a room will be ready by then.
California Grill has some pretty good food and drinks. Roam DTD. Hearthstone is also very nice. If you go out the side door by check in, then turn left, there is a small fireplace with chairs. We enjoy hanging out there, adn after 12, they have a server too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter