Disneyland Anniversary 2017

legalporter

Earning My Ears
Hi All, My daughter shares the same birthday as Disneyland (July 17). We are traveling from Michigan to be there on that date. We read that last year the park reached capacity by 10 am. It's really important that we get in, since we are going specifically for that day. How early do we need to be there to get tickets and get in? We purchased ticket vouchers through D23, as we are going to that the weekend before. Thank you very much!!

Hi All, My daughter shares the same birthday as Disneyland (July 17). We are traveling from Michigan to be there on that date. We read that last year the park reached capacity by 10 am. It's really important that we get in, since we are going specifically for that day. How early do we need to be there to get tickets and get in? We purchased ticket vouchers through D23, as we are going to that the weekend before. Thank you very much!!

I might be wrong on this, but I think you might be thinking of the 60th birthday which was 2 years ago, and yes it reached capacity super early. It was also the debut of paint the night that day so people camped out for parade spots from park openinf to the parade which was at like 8pm. Insane if you ask me :) I think last year was more of normal summer crowds on the birthday which I would say would be the same this year. Although it might be a little more crowded since d23 is coning to an end that day and a lot of guests will be staying to go to the parks, but I don't think it will close due to capacity IMO :)

I don't remember it hitting capacity last year. I know we didn't hit the parks til 11 and it was fine.

I also don't recall reading the Disneyland reached capacity on its anniversary date last year.

I might be wrong on this, but I think you might be thinking of the 60th birthday which was 2 years ago, and yes it reached capacity super early. It was also the debut of paint the night that day so people camped out for parade spots from park openinf to the parade which was at like 8pm.
You're thinking of May 22, 2015 (Memorial Day weekend), which was when Paint the Night and Disneyland: Forever debuted, along with being the last time they did the 24-hour day (WoC: Celebrate also debut, but DCA didn't has as many problems as DL). The parade route was insanely busy, but the outer areas of the park wasn't to bad. While very busy, it was still a lot of fun to be there. July 17, 2015 was busy, but I don't recall capacity closures.

Moreover, Fantasmic 2.0 is slated to debut on July 17th this year, so I would expect large crowds in the evening. It will help that both SoCal and SoCal Select APs are blocked at that point, but there will still be plenty of non-AP holders in the parks because it is summer.

It might be the "perfect storm" of events, driving DL to capacity:
  1. It's a Summer day in July, so the parks are always busy
  2. The premier of Fantasmic 2.0 is a big event, which Disney is likely to heavily promote. This is the favorite Nighttime Spectacular for many guests. If Fastpass is used (likely, but not announced), guests will need to arrive at park opening.
  3. It's the day after the D23 Expo. Some of those attendees already planned on the visiting after the Expo, or have extended visits after Fantasmic was announced.
  4. Disneyland 62nd anniversary, perhaps the least important -- still adds more guests.
  5. I'm attending the Expo, and plan to have a group of 6 in the park on July 17 -- just doing my part to push Disneyland to capacity :goodvibes

I don't recall any story about Disneyland reaching capacity last year. If you can find that story that might help.

I'd expect it to be very crowded that day, since it falls on a Monday during peak summer season. Many annual passholders who are big Disney fans drop in just for the anniversary. Finally, the D23 Convention will have just wrapped up, so many Disney fans will already be in town and probably come to the park that day. On the other hand, the park's 60th Anniversary Celebration festivities continued through last year, and that is done with this year. I'm sure it was a big factor last year.

I don't have any guesses about possible closures, since I wasn't aware of this happening last year, but I would definitely plan to enter the park no later than 9:00am, since you're making a special trip. I would not stand in line to purchase tickets. If you must wait until you arrive to buy tickets, I would buy them in the Disneyland app and scan your phone for admission.

Have a great trip! And happy birthday to you daughter!

P.S. Here is a link to Touring Plans' wait times from last year. This will help you gauge how long the waits were for attractions throughout the day, and might answer your question too.

https://touringplans.com/disneyland/wait-times/date/2016-07-17#

It won't be crazy busy because it's the anniversary (not a milestone so they don't really do anything) it will be INSANELY busy because Fantasmic returns officially that day.
You may have to just avoid that side of the park by mid afternoon. I guarantee people will be hovering for spots in New Orleans Square all afternoon into night.

Thank you all so much! I must have had my years mixed up on the park reaching capacity. It sounds like if we arrive early, we will be fine. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter