Status
Not open for further replies.

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
Disneyland 101 – Dining Strategies
Wayne Toigo | April 29, 2013 |

Food, glorious food! In this segment of our Disneyland 101 series, we cover some of the many dining options around the Disneyland Resort. There are a wide variety of dining choices, and that’s a good thing because almost everyone has a different way of approaching food and dining at the parks. But I don’t want to cover specific restaurant reviews, or go over the menus of each location. Instead, I want to cover information not only for the annual passport veterans (who know every restaurant and snack kiosk), but also to those travelers who have never been to Disneyland or don’t go that often and especially to those who frequent Walt Disney World where dining almost requires a whole plan in itself.

You can also listen to the full “Disneyland 101 – Dining Strategies” segment on our recent episode of the DIS Unplugged Podcast: Disneyland Edition.

DL101-Dining-01.jpg

Read more ...

*** ºOº ***

Sneak Peek: Mickey and the Magical Map
Tom Bell | April 28, 2013 |

Recently I was able to get a sneak peek into the creation of the new live show coming this Summer to the Fantasyland Theatre in Disneyland Park. No video was allowed, but I was able to get a peek at the stage, get a sample of what the set can “do”, plus take a look at one of the dance numbers that’s currently in rehearsal. Disney Creative Entertainment is very excited about this show and looking at just a few pictures, you can see why.

magicalmap04-604x400.jpg

Read more ...

*** ºOº ***

Windows on Main Street – Harrison “Buzz” Price
Michael Bowling | April 23, 2013 |

Walt Disney and those who originally built Disneyland had their roots in film making. Walt enlisted employees from studio art and set design departments throughout Hollywood to ensure his vision for his family theme park was realized. Entering Disneyland is similar to entering a theatre. The attraction posters provide a sneak preview as to what is inside. The entrance walkway was once colored red, similar to a red carpet of a theatre. The names on the Windows of Main Street are the credits for some of the many people who contributed to Disneyland and Walt Disney World. Typically the inscriptions on the windows appear as fictional businesses and often refer to a hobby of or the contribution made by the person honored. Disneyland also has dedicated windows in Frontierland, Adventureland and Mickey’s Toontown.

Buzz_Price_Window_Bottom.jpg

Read more ...

Please listen to my conversation with Sam Gennawey as we talk about Buzz Price and his relationship with Walt Disney on The DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition. Sam is the author of Walt and the Promise of Progress City and Disneyland: The Evolution of a Dream, a contributor to Planning Los Angeles and other books and is a columnist for the popular MiceChat website.

*** ºOº ***

Book Review: Seen, Un-seen Disneyland
Michael Bowling | March 5, 2013 |

During the construction of the Storybook Land Canal Boat attraction at Disneyland, Walt Disney insisted leaded glass be used in the windows of the cottages. The model builder, who was looking for ways to cut costs, wanted to use regular glass and asked Walt, ”Who’ll know the difference?” Walt sternly replied, “I’ll know the difference.” In his book, Seen, Unseen Disneyland – What You See at Disneyland, but Never Really See, author Russell D. Flores takes us on a journey through Disneyland examining many of the details Walt and his Imagineers put in the park which most guests rush past on their way to queue up for attractions.

Seen_Unseen_DL_Cover.png

On a recent segment of The DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition I enjoyed speaking with Russell about his book and his efforts to get it published, our favorite Disney reference books and what we enjoy the most about Disneyland.

You may order Seen, Unseen Disneyland from Amazon, or if you want an autographed copy you may order it directly from Russell Flores at orders@sudbooks.com. Be sure to mention you heard about the book on The DIS Unplugged!

Read more ...

*** ºOº ***

Help! A Walt Disney World Vets First Time at Disneyland Part 2
Leah Zanolla | February 18, 2013

Main-Street-USA-DL-091.jpg

Were really getting deep into the planning of our May trip to Southern California and the Disneyland Resort. If you read the last installment of my Help! series, youll recall that my family travels to Walt Disney World several times a year, but this will be our first trip out west and were really looking forward to it! Since well only be newbies once, we decided to take you all along on the journey and even before that, to get your help in planning our trip. Keep reading to see what decisions weve made and what still needs to be done!

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

Behind the Walls of Disneylands Fantasy Faire
Tom Bell | February 8, 2013

FF01-602x400.jpg

Very soon your favorite Disney Princesses will be getting a new home at Disneyland! Fantasy Faire opens in the former location of the Carnation Plaza Gardens on March 12th. Recently, The DIS was invited to take a peek behind the construction walls and below are some pictures from that tour. We also discussed the new area on the recent Fantasy Faire Preview segment of the DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition podcast.

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

Help! A Walt Disney World Vets First Time at Disneyland Part 1
WebmasterLeah | January 19, 2013

Main-Street-USA-DL-011.jpg

My family and I know Walt Disney World like the backs of our hands. Well, my husband would maintain that I sometimes get lost in the back section of Disneys Hollywood Studios (I cant argue, its true), but in general, were pros! We could plan a spontaneous trip to the World leaving tomorrow and not have any problem knowing what to pack, where to go and how to best tour the parks. This summer, we will be taking our first trip to Disneyland and the Southern California area and were overwhelmed. Help!

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

Salute to the Golden Horseshoe ~ Limited Time Magic at Disneyland
Mary Jo | January 11, 2013

GldnHrshoe.jpg

Disneylands latest Limited Time Magic treat is the Salute to the Golden Horseshoe Revue, performing at the Golden Horseshoe Saloon in Frontierland from January 10 through February 4, 2013. This show is a tribute to the original Golden Horseshoe Revue (1955-1986) and Golden Horseshoe Jamboree (1986-1994) shows. These shows were favorites of mine, and I almost never missed a chance to watch them when we visited Disneyland in those earlier years. As soon as I heard that Disneyland would be showing this salute featuring songs from the beloved revues, I made plans to go see it. Read more about it below and listen my segment about the Revue on the DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition.

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

The Secret of the Wings Ice Skating Rink Now Open at the Disneyland Resort
Mary Jo | November 9, 2012

001_Rink.jpg

Disneylands Downtown Disney now offers us a fall/winter adventure in the form of the new ice skating rink. The Secret of the Wings is located at the west end of Downtown Disney, next to newly opened Earl of Sandwich and across from ESPN Zone. You can hear more about the ice skating rink and other holiday happenings on our DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition Podcast for 8 November 2012 Holiday Preview segment.

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

Walk in Walts Disneyland Footsteps Tour ~ New in 2012
Mary Jo | October 4, 2012

001_sign2.jpg

Just when you think you have seen it all, and there is nothing new you can learn about Disneys original Magic Kingdom, Disneyland brings us the popular tour, Walk in Walts Footsteps, the story version.

*** ºOº ***

Taking Advantage of Annual Pass Early Entry at the Disneyland Resort
[URL="http://www.disunplugged.com/author/mary-jo/"]Mary Jo
| July 31, 2012

IMG_4297.jpg

The Disneyland Resort has some nice perks for those who have annual passes. The latest one gives annual passholders early entry into the Disneyland and California Adventure Parks. I recently took advantage of this perk and I went to California Adventure at 7:00 am on a Saturday morning, one hour before regular opening.

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

Carthay Circle Restaurant, a Taste of Elegance
Mary Jo | June 19, 2012

DCA_Carthay_Exterior.jpg

On June 15, Carthay Circle Restaurant opened to the public at Disneys California Adventure, and luckily for us, we had reservations for an 11:20 lunch. There were six of us in our group, and with great anticipation we met up at the restaurant at the appointed time.

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

The Matterhorn Reopens June 14th
Mary Jo | June 18, 2012

mattherhornsign2.jpg

After months of refurbishment, the popular Matterhorn Bobsleds attraction opened to the public with new bobsleds, a new look, and an added feature to their queue.

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

Voices of Liberty Debut at Disneyland, CA
Mary Jo | June 18, 2012

VoicesOfLiberty_outside2.jpg

On Friday, June 15, The Voices of Liberty, the a cappella singing group that has made a name for itself at Epcot in WDW debuted at Disneyland at the Opera House on Main Street. Once the announcement came out, there definitely was a buzz around the Disneyland Park, especially by those who had heard the group at Epcot.

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

Dine at Flos V8 Café on Route 66
Mary Jo | June 14, 2012

Flos-Cafe-015.jpg

When cruising around Cars Land, you can stop to fuel up at Flos V-8 Café, a family diner located at the crossroads of the newly paved Route 66 and the aptly named Crossroad Street.

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

Cultivating the Magic Disneylands New Tour
Mary Jo | June 7, 2012

IMG_9126.jpg

On Saturday, June 2<SUP checkedByCssHelper="true">nd</SUP>, my daughter Kelly and I were part of an inaugural tour at the Disneyland Park called Cultivating the Magic, where cast members share their knowledge about the flowers, shrubs, trees, grasses, and other plant life at the Disneyland Park.

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

Holiday Shopping at the Disneyland Resort
Mary Jo | December 14, 2011

IMG_13311-535x400.jpg

I love shopping during the holiday season. I love the sights and smells, the colors, and even the crowds of people looking for that just-right gift. My daughter, Kelly, and I decided to go visit the Disneyland hotels and Downtown Disney to check out some of the shops there.

We parked at the Mickey & Friends parking lot and walked over to the Disneyland Hotel. For those who do not have annual passes and need to park at the Disneyland Resort, the Downtown Disney parking lot offers three hours of free parking.

We first went to the Fantasia shop. The Fantasia shop is located in the Fantasy Tower at the Disneyland Hotel, and has a cute Christmas tree at the entrance.

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

Remembering Disney Legend Wally Boag
Mary Jo | June 6, 2011

WallyBoagAwards.jpg

Some of my fondest memories of our visits to Disneyland throughout my younger years include those of going to the Golden Horseshoe Revue. Back when we used to buy individual tickets to get on various attractions this was one of the few that were sponsored, and so this E-ticket worthy show was free to watch. I never missed an opportunity to go watch the Golden Horseshoe Revue, even after Disneyland started using the unlimited attraction pass. One of the highlights for me would be when Wally Boag would come out to entertain us. He was so naturally funny that the whole audience would continuously break out in laughter. I still chuckle today remembering his antics during the show.

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique Opens at Disneyland
Mary Jo | May 1, 2009

This is the view of the shop as you look at it from the castle.
img_1574a.jpg

The Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique opened this past April at the Disneyland Resort, CA, and I took the opportunity to go visit it. The Boutique is an enchanting stop at the Magic Kingdom for young girls to turn into princesses and young boys can become knights.

Read more...

*** ºOº ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!