Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier... and why

I think it depends on what you're looking to get and what your budget it. If a premium park view room is available at PPH at the same rate as a standard room at DLH, which has occurred in the past, then I will always pick the park view room. The rooms at PPH are larger, the showers don't have temperature issues the way they do at DLH, and the beds are more comfortable (for me).

That said, I love the theming of DLH, the closer proximity to security and the parks, Trader Sam's, Steakhouse 55, and the pools.

If I am planning to spend more time at the hotel using the pool, bars, etc, then I choose DLH, but like I said, the park view at PPH is amazing and makes the few extra steps worth it for me.

I think it depends on what you're looking to get and what your budget it....I love the theming of DLH, the closer proximity to security and the parks, Trader Sam's, Steakhouse 55, and the pools....
....I had made reservations for Napa Rose for our first night, but I recently changed our ressies from PPH to DLH, so I decided to check out the menu at Steakhouse 55, which, btw, sounds really appetizing. Should I make the switch from Napa to 55?

....I had made reservations for Napa Rose for our first night, but I recently changed our ressies from PPH to DLH, so I decided to check out the menu at Steakhouse 55, which, btw, sounds really appetizing. Should I make the switch from Napa to 55?

That's a tough call, because I love both! If you can do the chef's counter with wine pairing at Napa Rose, then I'd recommend that. For dinner, I really love the food and wine selection at 55, but I am a steak eater for sure.

That's a tough call, because I love both! If you can do the chef's counter with wine pairing at Napa Rose, then I'd recommend that....
...can you elaborate a little? That sounds intriguing.

Last edited:

....For dinner, I really love the food and wine selection at 55, but I am a steak eater for sure.
...we are too!

NOTE: I don't know if this will make a difference, but my DH has celiac, so he needs to be GF.

...can you elaborate a little? That sounds intriguing.

There's likely some threads on the boards that can provide more info, but here's a recent article I found on it: https://wdwnt.com/2018/04/disneyland-resorts-best-kept-secret-the-chefs-counter-at-napa-rose/

You do have to call the restaurant directly to make reservations, and they have two seatings each night, I believe the first is at 5:30 then they have an 8p. It's a multi-course tasting while you sit right at the counter that looks into the kitchen to watch the chefs prepare food.

They do take food allergies and food preferences into consideration. They also offer an optional wine pairing, which I think is a must do. I believe the cost for dinner is around $125 per person and the wine pairing is extra above that. We've done it once, several years ago and it was a fantastic experience that I highly recommend if people are able to do so.

....something that I definitely would like to explore further...

...we are too!

NOTE: I don't know if this will make a difference, but my DH has celiac, so he needs to be GF.

This might just be my own experience, but I have many food allergies and I've always felt Napa Rose took them much more seriously than Steakhouse 55. Last time at S55, the waitress looked at my allergy list and said "I can't read this but I'm sure you'll be fine." :scared: It didn't inspire a lot of confidence!

This might just be my own experience, but I have many food allergies and I've always felt Napa Rose took them much more seriously than Steakhouse 55. Last time at S55, the waitress looked at my allergy list and said "I can't read this but I'm sure you'll be fine." :scared: It didn't inspire a lot of confidence!
:eek:

....and this is where most people get confused or misunderstand. Celiac is NOT an allergy - it is an auto-immune disease. Sometimes your body may outgrow an allergy or eventually become immune to it. With Celiac, it is LIFELONG and there is a 5-time higher chance of developing cancer from it. We just lost his [my DHs] brother to lymphoma last October...

....and this is where most people get confused or misunderstand. Celiac is NOT an allergy - it is an auto-immune disease. Sometimes your body may outgrow an allergy or eventually become immune to it. With Celiac, it is LIFELONG and there is a 5-time higher chance of developing cancer from it. We just lost his [my DHs] brother to lymphoma last October...

Not sure if you were referring to my comment on experience with my allergies. I understand Celiac as I have 2 nieces that have been diagnosed. I also have auto-immune diseases. My comment was just that in my experience, S55 has not been as concerned about my food restrictions. They haven't offered to send the chef out in years. We stopped eating there for a while because of it, but tried again last summer and had the waitress I mentioned previously. YMMV.

Not sure if you were referring to my comment on experience with my allergies. I understand Celiac as I have 2 nieces that have been diagnosed. I also have auto-immune diseases. My comment was just that in my experience, S55 has not been as concerned about my food restrictions. They haven't offered to send the chef out in years. We stopped eating there for a while because of it, but tried again last summer and had the waitress I mentioned previously. YMMV.
...no, not you. I was just mentioning that most folks who aren't affiliated or familiar with it tend to be misinformed, including servers...

...no, not you. I was just mentioning that most folks who aren't affiliated or familiar with it tend to be misinformed, including servers...

:thumbsup2

I was at a banquet type dinner last week and couldn't eat anything that was being served (Italian food and I'm allergic to basil :scared:). The manager said they would make me something special, which I appreciated. While waiting for my food, another diner asked why I wasn't eating and I said I was allergic and she said "Oh I have a friend who won't eat cilantro...and she's Mexican! She just doesn't like that taste of it." :( People really don't understand if they haven't experienced it or have family members who have to deal with it.

:thumbsup2

I was at a banquet type dinner last week and couldn't eat anything that was being served (Italian food and I'm allergic to basil :scared:). The manager said they would make me something special, which I appreciated. While waiting for my food, another diner asked why I wasn't eating and I said I was allergic andshe said "Oh I have a friend who won't eat cilantro...and she's Mexican! She just doesn't like that taste of it." :( People really don't understand if they haven't experienced it or have family members who have to deal with it.
....wow...just....wow.

....my DH was diagnosed almost 15 years ago....GF has come a long way since then. My niece was diagnosed almost 6 years ago. When she first was diagnosed, her mom would say stupid things like, "Oh she was 'good' all week [meaning stayed away from gluten]....she can have a little today." WHAT???? Talk about ignorance...

....my DH was diagnosed almost 15 years ago....GF has come a long way since then. My niece was diagnosed almost 6 years ago. When she first was diagnosed, her mom would say stupid things like, "Oh she was 'good' all week [meaning stayed away from gluten]....she can have a little today." WHAT???? Talk about ignorance...

I was diagnosed with it in the 70s. That was fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter